Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We do the same on any bathroom liquids.

Curious what kind of hangers do you use or recommend?

Who would have thought we would be discussing hangers, , but here goes. 

For my tux, I use one of these that have a wooden rod and metal rod to keep the pants secure.  It then holds the vest, jacket, cummerbund, and ties, and they all go in the tux lightweight garment bag that make up the bottom layer for the method that Mimi described. 

6C8F0AFE-2D47-47DC-913F-89E8E21D8C21.thumb.jpeg.8047e0d1bbadd21ca9968eb223c029b9.jpeg

My tux shirts go in next in the opposite direction, and they are on theses type of plastic hangers. They are light weight and have rubber inserts that keep things from sliding. 

CE924E01-C76E-4465-8E1F-3B78DF931221.thumb.jpeg.504d99b396a721a69cd00734f3fb36d2.jpeg

For Susan’s gowns and dresses that have straps, I use this kind. They have a section that holds the straps in place.  Her gowns are draped in the 3rd direction described by Mimi. 

55A69696-AEC9-4099-906B-5A7DA02CA2FD.thumb.jpeg.adee2b16688c2432c4a838e9a1eecfac.jpeg

And finally, we sometimes use this style, depending on what the garment may be. Usually, we will use the ones in the second photo, because they are less bulky. 

8F06A84F-A03A-403F-B560-34886DFD92C2.thumb.jpeg.792905330781f5214a6b4a608455e3d0.jpeg

I didn’t take a photo of the last type that we use for pants.  Essentially, they are the type that have clips so you can hang pants by the cuffs.  

Using the plastic bags is one of the keys to doing this.  Give it a try next time.  I always check the weight with my portable scale, but I am good at estimating the weights now.  Each of our bags usually come in between 40 and 44 pounds. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

NE nation is now quite perturbed with his retirement statement issued early today.  He spent 2 of his 22 NFL years in Tampa and 20 of those in NE.  In his original statement he never once mentioned NE, just the glorious 2 years in TB and the fans and teammates.  Bob Kraft issued a statement this afternoon, thanking Tom for those 20 years and what he meant to this region and the team.  Tom has now apparently "updated" his retirement statement as now Kraft is offering him a one day contract to retire as a NE Patriot.  Boston media is blowing up over it, most saying, nope to late, the narcissist has spoken.  Bye bye TB.  So you all think just cruising generates such passionate feelings, LOL

Enough already!  We did not need another 45 minute breaking news segment about his retirement.  It does not need to lead the news and go on and on for almost 15 minutes before getting to actual news.  Yes, he was a great player.  Congratulations on your retirement.  Gillette will have a day for him, great.  How about some real news now.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you.    I worry more about Eric's BP.    When we got home last night after dropping her off at hotel, he sat down and checked his BP it was 211 over 115.    He immediately took an extra BP pill and was down to 140/80 when we got ready for bed.    

After having to deal with his mam's fire and her stubbornness I'm not surprised you are worried about Eric and that was a very high blood pressure reading.

Fortunately it came down to a safe level.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Things are getting back to "normal" today. 

Stubbornness will kill her!   

sorry for the long story but I had to share. 

54 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

No need to apologize for the long story.  What a crazy day. It sounds like you have a whole lot more patience than I do.  At least you tried your best.  

54 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

She sounds like a nightmare for you Debbie and Eric.

48 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Amazing! She must be related to my aunt, who birthed three girls as stubborn as she was. 
Evidently some people would rather die than back down. 

34 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

OMG, Debbie!  My MIL is a piece of work but not like this.  It’s crazy that even the fire chief didn’t get thru to her. 

I bet you’re glad you have cats 😉!  

26 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@Sunshine3601 OMG.  The stories about your MIL.  First the appalling way she has treated you and then this attitude towards her own personal safety and those trying to help her.  What a horrible woman.  Your blood pressure must go through the roof every time you deal with her.  

+ 6  ..... Having cats is a double blessing

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

If anyone has been to Sydney, the view from our beach umbrella is of Lion Island and Barrenjoey Lighthouse at Palm Beach.  

42 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Absolutely beautiful.

+ 2, and this sand looks like you could sink into...

A bit of topic -- The wife of an Israeli footballer who plays in Sydney went in Instagram saying that she almost died today -- stepping on an "blue-ringed octopus", when she was spending the day with her 3 young daughters on Central Coast (Camp Cove Beach).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Tomorrow will be 19 years since we left Brooklyn and moved to Long Island.

We always lived in a house ,either as a renter or an owner but now we were moving into an all ages townhouse condo .Quite a change for us.There were 2 homes for sale.One was a lakefront property with a terrace and a small deck but I envisioned sitting outside on a hot summer night by the lake.

Toby was fearful that we would have too many geese Instead we bought a house on the extreme northern end which is very quiet.We have the terrace and the largest deck in the complex.

The best thing about choosing this house is that nearly every person we met on our street engages in an activity called Cruising.

We had only been on 2 cruises but everyone told us wonderful stories of their cruising experiences and we were hooked.

Nearly every person living here when we moved in is still here.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't know about Eddie replacing Lee but it might be time for a change. He seems like such a grumpy old man who wouldn't be much fun to be around.

I think Cap Lee is concerned about his health. He was late getting to the show because he was in the hospital with some heart problems. His son's death is barely a year old. 

And what was Rachel going on about traveling in a school bus? I missed most of that.

I haven't heard any rumblings of Heather getting fired. I didn't like her. Too full of herself.

One thing I found odd...what was up with her hair? One scene it was in two braids, next scene it was loose. Moments later it was one braid. It was strange. Looking forward to the reunion.

Glad you made it home!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Who would have thought we would be discussing hangers, but here goes. 

😁 😁 It was on the approved "list" of subjects to be discussed on this thread.... Strike "hangers" from the list as of now?  😁 😁 

@Ocean Boy

Sorry you've lost a day to flight cancellations, but glad you've made it safely home 🌺.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

She says to me in the car is that fire chief coming back to inspect my house.   I said I don't think so and she said good because I'm not doing what he said .     I said fine blow up your house if you want but don't call us next time.    She went on to say he owes her a wall since he knocked her down her sheetrock.      OMG OMG OMG!!!

Electrician re-wired and was able to restore power after about 3 hours of work this morning and insurance adjuster will send a cleaning company to come out tomorrow then a crew to fix sheetrock and repaint some rooms on first floor.        While the insurance adjuster was there she said I hope I can make some extra cash from this.     OMG OMG!      

By the time the various people working at the house were done and leaving she had moved her microwave and now put her coffee maker in her TV room.     and drum roll please, she had 1 of the space heaters hooked up right next to her sofa.       I told her that is a huge NO NO to have them both plugged into an extension cord and she said I don't care it's where I want them. 

Oh my.  How difficult to deal with and scary too.  I would have told her yes the Fire Chief would be back periodically to inspect her home.  I would also tell her he could fine her for violations.  Then I would talk with the Fire Chief and see if he could come by once in awhile.  I had to do things like that with my mother so that she would be safe and clean.  I am probably going to hell but at least mom didn't drink herself to death on my watch.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

In my town on Thursday it will be 52 and raining.Friday it will be 18.Everything that melts from the rain will freeze up again.

Stay safe!

We have a Winter Storm Watch from Wed 6pm to Thurs. 6pm.  The ice is coming!  Hard to believe it's 71 now.

26 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you.    I worry more about Eric's BP.    When we got home last night after dropping her off at hotel, he sat down and checked his BP it was 211 over 115.    He immediately took an extra BP pill and was down to 140/80 when we got ready for bed.    

I am so sorry you and Eric have to go through that aggravation.  That bp is very worrisome but thankfully, Eric knew what to do.

I agree about your cats being a blessing!  It's one thing to deal with your MIL unsuccessfully in her own home, but to have her on your home turf would do you and Eric in terribly!!

And please never apologize if you need to vent.  You're among understanding friends here!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Stay safe!

We have a Winter Storm Watch from Wed 6pm to Thurs. 6pm.  The ice is coming!  Hard to believe it's 71 now.

I am so sorry you and Eric have to go through that aggravation.  That bp is very worrisome but thankfully, Eric knew what to do.

I agree about your cats being a blessing!  It's one thing to deal with your MIL unsuccessfully in her own home, but to have her on your home turf would do you and Eric in terribly!!

And please never apologize if you need to vent.  You're among understanding friends here!

Thank you!      I don't want to even think what his BP was while we were dealing with her at her house.    Yes, I gave both Eva and Sparky extra hugs and kisses last night, and maybe some extra treats 🥰

Let's hope the storm fizzles out and is nothing like a repeat of last year.   Be careful😍

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Stay safe!

Supermarkets were packed today , before the storm hits, luckily Kroger had several cashiers working for a change. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

And what was Rachel going on about traveling in a school bus? I missed most of that.

I read online that in 2021 she bought into "skoolie" life where you convert a school bus into a "mobile home" and travel across the country.     

• Like 1

I don't know why I need to post this in here but I was saddened to hear that Hoda Kotb broke up with her fiance, Joel.  They aren't in my real world, but sometimes people on tv reach out and become more than just strangers to us.

After all, this thread is about everything, right?

BTW, regarding the hanger topic:  I don't think anyone mentioned the "Joy" thin felt hangers.  They are great at home and when I travel with clothes on hangers, that's what they are on.  Even slacks which I fold across the bar. After reaching my destination, slacks are placed on the hangers with clips.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Oh my.  How difficult to deal with and scary too.  I would have told her yes the Fire Chief would be back periodically to inspect her home.  I would also tell her he could fine her for violations.  Then I would talk with the Fire Chief and see if he could come by once in awhile.  I had to do things like that with my mother so that she would be safe and clean.  I am probably going to hell but at least mom didn't drink herself to death on my watch.

That's a good idea.    Maybe I will call the firehouse and ask if they make house calls.    

Hey I see no reason for you to go to hell if you are saving someone's life.    Sorry you had to go through that with your Mom.    

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, George C said:

Supermarkets were packed today , before the storm hits, luckily Kroger had several cashiers working for a change. 

I did my Kroger run yesterday.  Luckily, not much more crowded than usual.  Definite hike in prices and items still are missing....sigh.

Kroger still had only one cashier.  I had a full cart so self-checkout would not work. I always run into difficulty there.

Let's hope this will not be a repeat of last February!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You are right stubbornness will kill her and it will not be you or Eric's fault. I'm so sorry you had to deal with this. At her age she's got her mind made up and there's nothing you can do but try and protect her from doing something that will end up in disaster.

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just watching our recording from last night.  I like all the crew but could do without the drama.  I love Rachel’s humour.  I could go on holiday any day, any time with her.  Just not the really drunk Racheal. 

I would love to taste some of her food. That Japanese meal she made looked fantastic.

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Who would have thought we would be discussing hangers, , but here goes. 

55A69696-AEC9-4099-906B-5A7DA02CA2FD.thumb.jpeg.adee2b16688c2432c4a838e9a1eecfac.jpeg

Lol thanks for your detailed list. We actually have tons of the above. I had been using the wire ones just because they were thinner. I might start using the plastic and see if it makes a difference in the amount of clothes I can pack.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, George C said:

Texas sounds like they react to the possibility of snow/ice like they do in Arkansas.  A friend of mine ran the bakery that supplies most of the local bread.  I remember him telling me how crazy it gets a few days out before a potential snow.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I don't know why I need to post this in here but I was saddened to hear that Hoda Kotb broke up with her fiance, Joel.  They aren't in my real world, but sometimes people on tv reach out and become more than just strangers to us.

After all, this thread is about everything, right?

BTW, regarding the hanger topic:  I don't think anyone mentioned the "Joy" thin felt hangers.  They are great at home and when I travel with clothes on hangers, that's what they are on.  Even slacks which I fold across the bar. After reaching my destination, slacks are placed on the hangers with clips.

Sorry to hear Hoda and Joel broke-up.    I have always enjoyed Hoda and was so happy for her when she adopted.    

Yes, I love those "Joy" hangars.   That is what I use on a daily basis but still do have other kinds of hangars that I use for certain items.    

• Like 2

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I even preplan what I will wear each day.  Maybe that is OCD.

As do I!😁

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

maybe my Medicare will cover it. I should at least try and see if insurance will pay for it.

You may be in for a good surprise!

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We told him he she never listens and does whatever the hell she wants.    Always been that way.   He picked up 2 of the heaters in front of her and said these are trash! and you should never use any of them.    He told her you have perfectly good heater for your house and should use it!     

He walked through the house and pointed out some very old extension cords she is using and must get rid of     

She's allergic to our cats and hasn't been at our house forever.       

Good grief, Debbie!  There's a place in Heaven for you and Eric!  And, as Deb (Momof3gurlz) has said, thank goodness you have your loving kitties living with you!

2 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Hi Sue.  I live in Sydney.  This is Killcare on the Central Coast which is approx 1 - 1 1/2 north of Sydney depending on where you live.  Lots of people live on the Central Coast and commute by train or car into Sydney for work.

What a beautiful Country you live in!!

It is a shame she is the way she is.    Thankful Eric takes after his Father who was a very kind soul.

❤️

How frightening for both you and Eric.  Thank God he knew to take the extra BP pill to bring his blood pressure back down to normal.  Best of luck to you both.  You surely have your hands full.😢

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I usually watch part of  the Today Show with Hoda   and Jenna while I am making the bed and straightening our bedroom,so the ladies are part of my daily routine. I didn’t watch the show today though. 

That is unfortunate news about her breakup. Hoping that she and her daughters will be okay with the change in their lives.

My DH and I saw Hoda and Kathie Lee on the set through the window of the NBC studios. We were walking towards Fifth Ave to an appointment and passed by the corner studio. There were no crowds or lines of watchers, just people passing by. Maybe they were taping a segment outside of the show’s broadcast time. 

Hoda comes across as a person who has a heart and understanding of others. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Things are getting back to "normal" today.     I spent most of the morning at my MIL's house meeting with her insurance adjuster and electrician as she is really clueless on any of this kinda stuff.     Thank god she was much nicer today but oh boy yesterday she was screaming at everyone (Firemen included).     

She phoned Eric while he was an eye doc appt. simply saying she needed him to look an outlet that was not working properly in her bedroom.     We went over when done appt. not expecting to find that she had 2 or 3 outlets glowing and a trail of black going up one wall.     Eric immediately shut down the main breaker to the house while I called 911.     As I was getting her fire extinguisher from kitchen a flame shot out of one of the outlets.    

I told her to go outside to wait for firemen.    She argues and argues and refuses to go outside because it is cold.    Eric had to literally scream at her to get her coat on and go to her car.   Otherwise she wasn't moving.  

Fireman came in and knocked down some sheet rock as things were burning behind the wall and other wires were melting.        He told her she would not be able to stay there last night as an electrician would have to come rewire and check everything out before the power would be restored.       

Eric and I walked through the house with the Fire chief who said the cause was space heaters.   We discovered she had 2 space heaters in her bedroom and 3 in her TV room.     

We told him he she never listens and does whatever the hell she wants.    Always been that way.   He picked up 2 of the heaters in front of her and said these are trash! and you should never use any of them.    He told her you have perfectly good heater for your house and should use it!     

He walked through the house and pointed out some very old extension cords she is using and must get rid of and he also pointed out that she has a microwave in her TV room that is plugged into an extension cord and that is another fire hazard waiting to happen.     Kitchen is about 10 feet away from her TV/Family room.     Fire Chief unplugged the microwave and put it on kitchen counter and told her NO!    

We asked where she got these heaters from as they were not there a couple weeks ago when Eric saw her before our cruise.       She said she had someone order them online for her as it is cheaper to run them then raise the temp on the house thermostat - OMG!     

After some screaming about where she was going to stay for the night we took her a local Holiday Inn.      She's allergic to our cats and hasn't been at our house forever.    

We left there last night hoping the Fire Chief being a bit "harsh" with her will make her understand and listen.     

this morning I picked her up to take her back to the house to meet the various people that were coming out.    She says to me in the car is that fire chief coming back to inspect my house.   I said I don't think so and she said good because I'm not doing what he said .     I said fine blow up your house if you want but don't call us next time.    She went on to say he owes her a wall since he knocked her down her sheetrock.      OMG OMG OMG!!!

Electrician re-wired and was able to restore power after about 3 hours of work this morning and insurance adjuster will send a cleaning company to come out tomorrow then a crew to fix sheetrock and repaint some rooms on first floor.        While the insurance adjuster was there she said I hope I can make some extra cash from this.     OMG OMG!      

By the time the various people working at the house were done and leaving she had moved her microwave and now put her coffee maker in her TV room.     and drum roll please, she had 1 of the space heaters hooked up right next to her sofa.       I told her that is a huge NO NO to have them both plugged into an extension cord and she said I don't care it's where I want them. 

how old is this MIL and does she have any "issues" or is she just a naturally cranky cantankerous woman?

@Sunshine3601

Very sorry to hear about your family trouble Debbie.

I completely understand and am always here to listen when ever you want to vent, although I will never pass judgement on anyone's family member like many here do. We do not know what makes them that way.

I send you good, calm vibes🙏 so you can deal with any family situation. Remember to take care of yourself and Eric, be calm. Do not let things upset you and affect your peace.
And, on the funny side, count your cats.....blessings take many shapes.😉

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1