Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

One of my great nieces is a student at Shenandoah University in Virginia .

Students go there to study acting as well as behind the scenes production .

Back in the 1980s Garys best friend was studying stage management and lighting at the Banff school of performing arts. He's worked every year at the Stratford Festival season since and is very senior in the backstage team now .

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am so happy we have boys😁

Mmmm, doesn't work like that anymore with boys Debbie. These days the wallet is just as open but you don't get a lot of say. 😏

Though to be fair my DIL did involve us in a lot of the preparation 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

The birthday boy [before being raised 5 times],

image.thumb.jpeg.ebf33f8603b45647f636d29ed48d965e.jpeg

and with his themed cake [my cheese cake was for the grown ups...]

image.thumb.jpeg.a8b01361edea5360756441d1fd7d853b.jpeg

Love his smile!  Cute shirt too!  Looks like a fun celebration😍  Happy Birthday!!🎂🎆

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, h20skibum said:

You really need to account for those frequent change orders when you work on that budget. 

Just get ready for a lot of “yes, dear” , and start writing more checks.  

Maybe I should create an Engineering Change Request form.  Whenever they want to change something, they need to fill out an ECR (in triplicate) and send it to me.  I will then review the request and give them a reply within 3 business days.  That should work...right?

13 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We (meaning my daughters and I) like to say “budget shmudget”.  It’s really just a guideline. 

Oh, Bob @bobmacliberty, I feel like you have no idea what your in for!

The scary thing is that I think I DO have an idea what I'm in for, but I'm still probably wrong.

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am so happy we have boys😁

When our kids were first born, someone told us that you're better off having girls when the kids are young since many boys are just naturally more rambunctious and destructive.  And you're better off having boys once they turn into teenagers, given how difficult it can be to be a teen girl.  I wasn't thinking of marriage when I was told that, but it's clearly part of the equation.

12 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Being a dad of 3 daughters I totally understand.   I found it less stressful to just sit back and let it go.  It takes just a few years to get the finances straight again.   It did help to have 5 years between each girl.

Our other daughter has been living with her boyfriend for a couple of years and could get engaged at any minute.  She has already said that she does not want a large wedding.  She just wants immediate family and very close friends, but she wants to get married in Italy.  Uh oh.

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

13 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We’re having a small cookout Memorial Day. Just us, middle DD, SIL, 2 granddaughters, youngest DD and my aunt.  Youngest DD is dating someone new (seems the P.O.S. Is finally in the rear view mirror 🙏) but I don’t think they’re ready to “meet the family” yet.   
It’s supposed to be close to 90, so I’m thinking of trying out a new cocktail recipe. I have the ones shared here previously for Kracken Colada, Kracken Lava Flow and Dark & Stormy.  Looking for input on which I should choose for a very hot day.  

My favorite refreshing drink for hot days is either a Mojito or a Caipirinha.  They are similar with the Caipirinha using Cachaca instead of rum, and no mint or soda water.  Just Cachaca, lime juice, and sugar.  Depending on where you live, Cachaca can be hard to find.  I had my first Caipirinha in Brazil (it's their national drink) and brought a bottle of Cachaca home with me.

The drink that I most commonly drink in the summer is a Painkiller.  I mix a 46 oz can of pineapple juice, a 12 oz bottle of orange juice, and 12 oz of Creme of Coconut (usually Coco Real) in a pitcher.  The recipe calls for a 4:1:1 ratio of those 3 items and that's close enough.  I mix it really well to blend in the thicker creme of coconut and then keep the pitcher in the fridge.  When I want a Painkiller, I fill a glass with ice, add rum (usually a shot each of light and dark), and top with the mixture in the pitcher.  I'll dump the entire glass full into a mixing tin and back a few times to ensure that it's well mixed (or you could just shake).  If I'm feeling fancy, I'll grate some fresh nutmeg on top.  Delicious and easy, especially when serving a group.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

The birthday boy [before being raised 5 times],

image.thumb.jpeg.ebf33f8603b45647f636d29ed48d965e.jpeg

and with his themed cake [my cheese cake was for the grown ups...]

image.thumb.jpeg.a8b01361edea5360756441d1fd7d853b.jpeg

Handsome little man with a sweet smile!  It looks like a fun party.  Forgive my ignorance, but I’m curious about the headpiece he’s wearing?  

8 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

My favorite refreshing drink for hot days is either a Mojito or a Caipirinha.  They are similar with the Caipirinha using Cachaca instead of rum, and no mint or soda water.  Just Cachaca, lime juice, and sugar.  Depending on where you live, Cachaca can be hard to find.  I had my first Caipirinha in Brazil (it's their national drink) and brought a bottle of Cachaca home with me.

The drink that I most commonly drink in the summer is a Painkiller.  I mix a 46 oz can of pineapple juice, a 12 oz bottle of orange juice, and 12 oz of Creme of Coconut (usually Coco Real) in a pitcher.  The recipe calls for a 4:1:1 ratio of those 3 items and that's close enough.  I mix it really well to blend in the thicker creme of coconut and then keep the pitcher in the fridge.  When I want a Painkiller, I fill a glass with ice, add rum (usually a shot each of light and dark), and top with the mixture in the pitcher.  I'll dump the entire glass full into a mixing tin and back a few times to ensure that it's well mixed (or you could just shake).  If I'm feeling fancy, I'll grate some fresh nutmeg on top.  Delicious and easy, especially when serving a group.

Mojitos are my summer (and cruise) go to.  I also love Painkillers. I’ve found one liquor store in RI that sells Pusser’s rum. If I can’t get more when my bottle is empty I’ll try your mixture of dark & light rum.  I like your idea of making up a big batch.  If we’re ever on a cruise together (I can’t recall if you’re joining the Bella cruise), the bartenders would be wise to make up big batches of Mojitos & Painkillers!  

• Like 4

Wedding Budget,  Whats that?

Roughly 18 months ago I put  my foot down and set a budget for the DD's wedding trying to model after our wedding which we had to pay for ourselves.  (8 months pre planning and the wedding was 10 months ago).

Now I realized prices increased in the past 30 years, so I was realistic with my cost estimates.

Until:

The wedding gown became Bride magazine dress of the year

The DJ became a DJ plus Band (Yup they toured the US).

The florist had to hire help to get all the arrangements done in time

The buffet became a sit down dinner (Ty COVID)

The Limo size was needed for the 18 passengers.

The fireworks had to be monitored by a pyrotechnic assistant (what fireworks????)

Appetizers yup  (How much are lamb chops!)

The cookie table had to be individually trayed and brought by  us.

5 hour open bar...(hiccup)

Wedding day luncheon,  after breakfast brunch had to be planned and paid for ( I gotta feed them!) as well as the 80 guest who stayed at the hotel.

And

Then the mother of the groom should have put a feeding bag on the way she annihilated the food, after all she was a guest and did not pay anything towards the whole wedding weekend, but smoked away).

OH, and when my DH goes I am not getting her wedding jewelry since we are paying for the wedding,     as he puts the diamond bangle wristlet on her at the first look.

And just a few weeks ago he finally asks me, did you ever total up the cost of the wedding.

(He knows I am a bean counter and have every receipt including the Tylenol and Tums  I bought to plan this wedding).

I go.................................It is in the brief case  and I havent gotten around to it,

If he only knew...............................................If only he knew.

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

30 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I like the picture with the red umbrella and scenery in the background. 
Is that scrapple 🤢?

Yes, it is scrapple, just don't read the package label, it's delicious. 😋Made it nice and crispy too! for dipping into the egg yolk.

Have been eating scrapple since I was a young boy.............Love it. Most people here in Virginia never even heard of it, so it's hard to find down here. When we lived in NJ, everyone knew what it was and was plentiful. Diner's up there even had it on their menu's.

We bought half a cow from a local farm here and had Liver last night for the first time.......My Wife loves it, but it was kind of iffy for me...........it was much more tender then I thought it would be. I thought it would be tough like shoe leather but it wasn't. Doctored it up with onions and bacon, but still not sure it's for me. Told my Wife she is going to have a lot of liver to eat then. LOL

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 5

OK Need help

Does anyone still have that memo, if you book a cruise during a certain period you got double C & A  points?

I am trying to figure out if we are eligible.

We got our points yesterday and they were traditional.

TY

2 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

OK Need help

Does anyone still have that memo, if you book a cruise during a certain period you got double C & A  points?

TY

This

52D6BE27-5237-4F9E-9AB7-C386F446B66A.thumb.png.65b69e65a26203caaffbee36f24e264f.png

• Like 2

We are going to a wedding next year.  The bride is from a large Lebanese family and the groom is Greek.  The mother of the bride was relieved to tell me last week that the initial  guest list of 300 has been whittled down to a firm 190 as the new mother-in-law is conscious of expenditure which was goods news for the father of the bride.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Wedding Budget,  Whats that?

Roughly 18 months ago I put  my foot down and set a budget for the DD's wedding trying to model after our wedding which we had to pay for ourselves.  (8 months pre planning and the wedding was 10 months ago).

Now I realized prices increased in the past 30 years, so I was realistic with my cost estimates.

Until:

The wedding gown became Bride magazine dress of the year

The DJ became a DJ plus Band (Yup they toured the US).

The florist had to hire help to get all the arrangements done in time

The buffet became a sit down dinner (Ty COVID)

The Limo size was needed for the 18 passengers.

The fireworks had to be monitored by a pyrotechnic assistant (what fireworks????)

Appetizers yup  (How much are lamb chops!)

The cookie table had to be individually trayed and brought by  us.

5 hour open bar...(hiccup)

Wedding day luncheon,  after breakfast brunch had to be planned and paid for ( I gotta feed them!) as well as the 80 guest who stayed at the hotel.

And

Then the mother of the groom should have put a feeding bag on the way she annihilated the food, after all she was a guest and did not pay anything towards the whole wedding weekend, but smoked away).

OH, and when my DH goes I am not getting her wedding jewelry since we are paying for the wedding,     as he puts the diamond bangle wristlet on her at the first look.

And just a few weeks ago he finally asks me, did you ever total up the cost of the wedding.

(He knows I am a bean counter and have every receipt including the Tylenol and Tums  I bought to plan this wedding).

I go.................................It is in the brief case  and I havent gotten around to it,

If he only knew...............................................If only he knew.

My daughter tells me she wants to be married by Elvis in Vegas…think I should encourage her given your experience.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

6 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

OK Need help

TY

Screenshot_20220528_144628.jpg

8 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

My daughter tells me she wants to be married by Elvis in Vegas…think I should encourage......

Better than spending your time counting how many appetizers the spouse's mother wolfed down😁🤣. And less stress for you.

LOL I always wonder why the other spouse's mother is the evil queen in all stories posted here! 😁 They could be saying the same about the other party. 🤣

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Better than spending your time counting how many appetizers the spouse's mother wolfed down😁🤣. And less stress for you.

Not only did she have a feeding frenzy, she found a bag and loaded it up with carry outs.

Sad, just sad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1