"Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?

13 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Gorgeous pictures. 

Our trees are starting to turn, mostly yellow. It's very overcast so they aren't shimmering in the sunlight.

On the major grrrr list...our neighbor has a HUGE pine tree that sheds. A lot. We probably have 3" of needles in our yard and it's not done yet. I'm not raking twice so they'll have to sit for a bit.

I picked up one of these last year it is great on leaves would probably work for pine needles  but both Amazon and  Home depot carry it so not much risk.  I did pick up the trash can adapter and it is a bit messy but does let you pick up more!

Found this Amazon review

Reviewed in the United States on March 31, 2018

I am a 63 year old woman with several trees that drop thousands of pine needles in my driveway and I live in Seattle where it's wet most of the time. Three strikes against me for a leaf blower! So I was hesitant about buying this. However, I purchased the Toro UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum because it was electric, affordable and fairly light to carry. To my delight, this leaf blower works great! It blows over the pine needles on my concrete driveway into nice piles. Of course, it won't blow wet needles or needles caked in mud but it does a very good job with the dry needles, pinecones and leaves. The vacuum works great too! It sucks up the piles of needles into this nice bag that hooks up to the blower and has a belt to hang over my shoulder. It's really easy to empty the bag because it has a zipper on the bottom. The blower and vacuum have attachments that are pretty easy to figure out and put on/take off. There's two handles to hold the blower so it's easy to maneuver. All in all, I'm very happy with this new "toy" and my only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner.

https://www.amazon.com/Toro-51621-UltraPlus-Variable-Speed-Impeller/dp/B00TNCJU3E/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Toro+51621&qid=1601826998&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1

https://myleafblower.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/toro-51621-best-garden-vac-for-wet-leaves-2018-review.jpg

toro-51621-best-garden-vac-for-wet-leaves-2018-review[1].jpg

Edited by fredflint
more

One week update at once. Office job has made me want to stab my eyes out with a spoon. Enough said. 

Around the farms gives me solace and a needed break. Phase one of the bush work is done. 

E0EA9291-9D5C-4FE6-8FFF-1EAA1D424FEF.thumb.jpeg.eca2e3e08fd8fa4ebb754838141b920f.jpeg

Cedars trimmed back. Phase two will start when harvest is done. 

7D787630-AA68-43A0-A783-1DA5CA8E0962.thumb.jpeg.e277072a9905d1f3276f1e78c2996d4a.jpeg

Took Friday afternoon to clean out the barn at moms and reorganize it. Always feels good to see what you have accomplished and the office never gives you that. 

1C629F92-5EF3-49A9-9BB8-7606481AC7BE.thumb.jpeg.d460019e54b0715dbc9407c20cb9faac.jpeg

0C1ED43D-661F-4267-B342-4230AB8365F7.thumb.jpeg.f4fcf5d5f980681e66abb9cb6cfcafe3.jpeg

Soybean harvest has begun but the weather has turned. About 20 acres done with another 200 acres to go. Hopefully this week. 

97CF9D3B-B272-479D-B96F-E8F733BEB8FE.thumb.jpeg.af21ba0f484b194a69b40bf72ab78538.jpeg

Speaking of “harvest”... it’s about to begin at our neighbour’s as well. He rents a small portion of land to people who have a licensed out door grow operation.

People coming and going at all hours and a special funk in the air.  I had to explain that to mom.  They are on 2  parcels of land, both across the road and upwind  from moms.  If you look you can see their 24 hour security trailer tucked away beside the corn field.

Always something interesting in the country. 

0ED57F69-87C2-433D-8710-B00D79E6CB6F.thumb.jpeg.cf8701cebcffdceccc039003408473e2.jpeg

Ended the week with some BBQ bacon cheeseburgers. Made me realize how much I miss Playmakers on the ship.  

1E15FE73-0818-4465-800E-67D35E3D6E87.thumb.jpeg.e17d9860f0d439a86c9df8957eb93ff5.jpeg

The colours are coming nicely here as well. Hope you all had a great week. 

8DAFF784-AD96-42AF-9CD7-0CFCB349B4C5.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont

slowly learning...

a) don’t try it when sun is directly over your face, Crystal

b) it was too windy 😞 I wanted to try the rocket setting, but just way too windy. it kept pushing the drone around.

This video is sped up

Week #3 visiting the Florida Panhandle.  St. George Island this week, condo on the beach, happy hour.  Sure, it's not the balcony on the ship, nor the SL/CL/DL....but it comes with a great bartender and nice view!  

20201004_152336.jpg

4 hours ago, fredflint said:

I picked up one of these last year it is great on leaves would probably work for pine needles  but both Amazon and  Home depot carry it so not much risk.  I did pick up the trash can adapter and it is a bit messy but does let you pick up more!

Found this Amazon review

Reviewed in the United States on March 31, 2018

I am a 63 year old woman with several trees that drop thousands of pine needles in my driveway and I live in Seattle where it's wet most of the time. Three strikes against me for a leaf blower! So I was hesitant about buying this. However, I purchased the Toro UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum because it was electric, affordable and fairly light to carry. To my delight, this leaf blower works great! It blows over the pine needles on my concrete driveway into nice piles. Of course, it won't blow wet needles or needles caked in mud but it does a very good job with the dry needles, pinecones and leaves. The vacuum works great too! It sucks up the piles of needles into this nice bag that hooks up to the blower and has a belt to hang over my shoulder. It's really easy to empty the bag because it has a zipper on the bottom. The blower and vacuum have attachments that are pretty easy to figure out and put on/take off. There's two handles to hold the blower so it's easy to maneuver. All in all, I'm very happy with this new "toy" and my only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner.

https://www.amazon.com/Toro-51621-UltraPlus-Variable-Speed-Impeller/dp/B00TNCJU3E/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Toro+51621&qid=1601826998&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1

https://myleafblower.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/toro-51621-best-garden-vac-for-wet-leaves-2018-review.jpg

I have had this exact same thing for about 15 yrs now except mine is called a garden eater.  Loved it so much I had got my Dad and my Brother each one for christmas several years ago.  All still working, great!

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

One week update at once. Office job has made me want to stab my eyes out with a spoon. Enough said. 

Around the farms gives me solace and a needed break. Phase one of the bush work is done. 

E0EA9291-9D5C-4FE6-8FFF-1EAA1D424FEF.thumb.jpeg.eca2e3e08fd8fa4ebb754838141b920f.jpeg

Cedars trimmed back. Phase two will start when harvest is done. 

7D787630-AA68-43A0-A783-1DA5CA8E0962.thumb.jpeg.e277072a9905d1f3276f1e78c2996d4a.jpeg

Took Friday afternoon to clean out the barn at moms and reorganize it. Always feels good to see what you have accomplished and the office never gives you that. 

1C629F92-5EF3-49A9-9BB8-7606481AC7BE.thumb.jpeg.d460019e54b0715dbc9407c20cb9faac.jpeg

0C1ED43D-661F-4267-B342-4230AB8365F7.thumb.jpeg.f4fcf5d5f980681e66abb9cb6cfcafe3.jpeg

Could not help but notice there is no cross bridging on the floor

see this 

http://www.renovation-headquarters.com/floor-joist-bridging.html

The house does not look new but it could help it you have any squeaks or bouncing.  Not sure where you live but most any building inspector would call it out.

https://www.yourownarchitect.com/is-blocking-required-for-floor-joists/#:~:text=Building code requires the use,supporting end of a joist.

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

9 minutes ago, fredflint said:

see this 

http://www.renovation-headquarters.com/floor-joist-bridging.html

The house does not look new but it could help it you have any squeaks or bouncing.  Not sure where you live but most any building inspector would call it out.

https://www.yourownarchitect.com/is-blocking-required-for-floor-joists/#:~:text=Building code requires the use,supporting end of a joist.

That is a picture of a barn, not a house.  Those joists are not 2X4's, they are way beefier than that, at least 10, if not 12 inches, though in Canada, they are liable to be metric.  Looks pretty sturdy to me, would love to have whoever did that stonework come and fix my wall!

34 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

though in Canada, they are liable to be metric. 

Nope, pretty much all building products are still in Imperial.

Found an old guide put out by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp from the early 70’s stating that by the early 80’s The entire building industry in Canada would be converted to metric....almost 50 years later still hasn’t happened.  I actually need to teach many of my younger students how to read a Fractional tape measure and work in 1/16th, 1/8th.....they just learn metric in school which doesn’t do them any good on a job site. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
7 hours ago, fredflint said:

I'll have to look into this. We also have a honey locust tree with tiny leaves. Always the last tree to drop leaves.

We also just found out that the neighbors are going to have twins so they are going to move. John's going to chop off the branches that hang over on our side of the fence. That will take care of some of the needles.

well just changed our Royalton Antigua booking for February to Dreams Tulum. Time to start new research 🤷‍♀️

hubby and I went shopping at a local western store today and he bought me and early one year anniversary gift so I ended up giving him his when we got home..boots are mine and caricature is his 

1D616715-F474-47DC-9B93-14977C76BD5A.jpeg

4674743B-93AD-406C-ACD7-502A62728DC8.jpeg

The highlight of the day was cleaning the fish pond for the up coming winter, the task was E-Z , because the local raccoons had come by and ate all the fish, just need to trim a few plants and add some fresh water. 

On 10/3/2020 at 9:30 PM, A&L_Ont said:

That’s great news. On a side note, I know where I am staying when I come down for the Amelia Island Concourse. 🙂

That's a big part of our plan...friends and family coming to visit and enjoy the island.  2 guest bedrooms each with their own bathroom.  We haven't been there yet for the Concourse but we're about a 10 minute walk from the Ritz where it's located.  Looking forward to it in March.  It took me a minute to figure out what you meant when you said there was a funk in the air at your neighbors farm.  Interesting.  Explains the security trailer.

On 10/3/2020 at 10:29 PM, singinalot said:

congrats @bobmacliberty that’s wonderful news! let the adventures begin

Thanks.  Google Maps says 2 hours and 53 minutes to Port Canaveral.  That's not @John&LaLa close, but much better than Cincinnati.  

On 10/4/2020 at 7:32 AM, dani negreanu said:

Congrats, sounds great.

I had to google Amelia Island, looks like a nice place with lots of golf courses 😁

Thanks.  We looked at several places to retire and Amelia checks all of our boxes.  Golf and tennis, good beaches, great restaurants and bars, warm weather most of the year, an island feel while also having good access to airports/hospitals/shopping/etc. within a relatively short drive.  I probably would have gone a little further south for even more year round warmth, but DW wanted more of a change of seasons.  I can suffer through golf with a sweater during the winter months.

36 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

It is my understanding that @John&LaLa 's new house is much farther than CB, if I remember correctly -- 3.5 hours (which for me is much better than the 14 hours flight Tel-Aviv-Miami 😁😁)

Yup, they moved to a community near Ocala.  Middle of the state, but is seasonal for them.  

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We haven't been there yet for the Concourse but we're about a 10 minute walk from the Ritz where it's located.  Looking forward to it in March.  It took me a minute to figure out what you meant when you said there was a funk in the air at your neighbors farm.  Interesting.  Explains the security trailer.

I have been invited to display by a member of the selection committee, but have yet to make it. I have heard that it is one of the most fun concours on the circuit.  I know a few that have shown and sold at the auction there and have enjoyed it thoroughly.  There is an expression something like... you go to Pebble Beach because it is Pebble, you go to Amelia for the fun.  

As for the “funk”, I’m amazed you are the only one who noted the comment.  It was wafting through the air today. 

Edited by A&L_Ont