Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Adding to M8's response, we use our Sous vide cooker probably once every week or two.  Works well for steaks since they are perfectly cooked to the right temperature all the way through the steak.  Very helpful if you like a thicker cut like a filet.  We like it for pork as well.  As M8 noted, it's important to get a good sear at the end to give it a more grilled appearance/char/flavor.  We usually use a cast iron skillet as hot as we can get it with butter and sear for about 60 seconds on each side.  Supposedly, many high end steak houses use the sous vide method to get perfect meat temps.  You do need to be careful not to overcook, but you can put steaks or chops in the water bath for at least an hour (usually more) and they turn our great.  Very easy to get the meat started early and other than a couple of minutes of searing, no need to worry about timing the meat with the rest of the meal.  

You can spend thousands on high end sous vide cookers, but we use a wand style cooker that clips to the side of a large pot.  The water in the pot circulates through the cooker which keeps it at a constant temp.  Rinse and dry it when you're done.  Our cooker is relatively inexpensive.  I bought it as a gift for my wife several years ago, and wondered if it would end up in the closet next to the bread maker, the pasta maker, etc., but it gets a lot of use.  Much more on Sous Vide here.  

I'm looking at Breville Joule. @xpcdoojk suggested it.

I was hoping it would appearvon Prime Day 

Recently added an Air Fryer, but it had a bad touch pad, so I'm waiting on a replacement 

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Waiting on Air Force to fly over now.

Oops, he landed 30 minutes ago😱

Maybe we'll see it leave🤣🤣

he is in a 757 today, not the 747. much harder to spot which airplane is his.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will admit that since the DW got alpha gal last year we have reduced the use of the sous vide.  I used to do ribs or pork butt at least occasionally each month.  I am not quite as big of fan for an actual steak as compared to a roast.  A standing rib roast in the Sous Vide or a Chateaubriand is brilliant, a 8 oz filet or 16 oz ribeye... a bit less awesome.  I think the grill is fine for those.  I am glad that I didn’t opt for M8’s version, as those are large.  My unit is about 16 inches tall and 3-4 diameter, and works great.  I have a couple of big pots that I use for other things which are perfect for the sous vide.  One is a cheap Sam’s giant stainless still pot and the other a medium sized Le Creuset pot.  

Since the DW has not eaten any beef, pork or lamb for over a year she was tested again last week and we were hoping her alpha gal sensitivity would be reduced enough she might be able to eat real food again, her test showed an even higher level of allergy. Her doctor is guessing that might have been caused by her flu shot a week earlier.

We are having fried fresh crappie tonight. Yum

jc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I will admit that since the DW got alpha gal last year we have reduced the use of the sous vide.

Never heard of alpha-gal before.  I just looked it up and it does not sound like fun.  Hope it goes away for your wife at some point.  Good thing that at least seafood is safe.

• Like 1

Catching up on some posting. I was at my office the other day and my work computer was nasty.  Look at the new screen saver photo it used. Not even sure where it is, but the computer would not teleport me there. 

A5F46F9E-06F3-4344-B904-BEAC8A811D84.thumb.jpeg.4e71da26697cb858e080a7f824e05f85.jpeg

Spotted this at McD’s drive thru on a road trip yesterday. This is either the work of Captain Obvious or some sort of punch line to a Jeff Foxworthy joke.

F2DFD93B-823A-4B7D-9E9B-BEF75FEBF300.thumb.jpeg.8c6e3d49a7b0aa6264bf2c9fc6d7e3c1.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont

19 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Spotted this at McD’s drive thru on a road trip yesterday. This is either the work of Captain Obvious or some sort of punch line to a Jeff Foxworthy joke.

F2DFD93B-823A-4B7D-9E9B-BEF75FEBF300.thumb.jpeg.8c6e3d49a7b0aa6264bf2c9fc6d7e3c1.jpeg

Fun fact that Capt. Obvious probably doesn't know. Technically there is no such thing as a seagull. They are just gulls. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Fun fact that Capt. Obvious probably doesn't know. Technically there is no such thing as a seagull. They are just gulls. 

Funny story about gulls who live by the sea.  In the late 80s, I rented a beach house every summer with a group of friends in Stone Harbor, NJ.  The lifeguard stands were maybe 100 yards apart and had 2 guards on each stand.  They would occasionally do drills where one stand would simulate a drowning.  One of the 2 guards would go into the water while the other blew his whistle and frantically waved his rescue buoy/float thingy up and down.  Guards from neighboring stands would blow their whistles, wave their buoys, and come running to help.  Guards from further away would also blow/wave/run to fill in gaps.  I think this was to ensure that there were enough guards to handle the emergency AND ensure that all stands have coverage in case a different emergency happened at the same time. 

One day, I saw a guard jump off his stand and start sprinting toward the next stand.  There was no whistling/waving happening.  He tried, unsuccessfully, to intercept a guard running toward his stand with a full bag of popcorn.  The popcorn wielding guard got around the other guard trying to play defense and threw the entire bag of popcorn on their stand.  The seagulls had a better communication process than the lifeguards since I think every seagull within a mile radius descended on that lifeguard stand in a matter of seconds.  Although there may technically be no such thing as a seagull, they sure do like popcorn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

The seagulls had a better communication process than the lifeguards since I think every seagull within a mile radius descended on that lifeguard stand in a matter of seconds.  Although there may technically be no such thing as a seagull, they sure do like popcorn.

Lol. They are scavengers. Rats with wings, if you will.

I've had gulls (of the sea dwelling variety) try to take food out of my hand while eating. This was also in Jersey, LBI to be exact. Those Jersey gulls sure have an aggressive attitude! 😃

The whole topic started when I was visiting family at their lake house in upstate NY and jokingly referred the gulls flying by as Lakegulls as the nearest ocean was over 300 miles away. By car that is,probaly only 250 miles as gulls fly. Not to be confused with Garbage Dump gulls, although they look very similar. 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I don't use mine to make bread,.... just dough for homemade pizza, and garlic bread.  (Cook those in regular oven).  

We used all the time when we got it.  Now it is in the corner cabinet of our kitchen, AKA the "Kitchen Archives".  I believe the waffle maker is also in there, along with these weird rubber like muffin tins that are no stick but stink when used.  It is the last stop before donation.

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Has PETA seen that sign?  I sense a protest coming.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Lol. They are scavengers. Rats with wings, if you will.

I've had gulls (of the sea dwelling variety) try to take food out of my hand while eating. This was also in Jersey, LBI to be exact. Those Jersey gulls sure have an aggressive attitude! 😃

The whole topic started when I was visiting family at their lake house in upstate NY and jokingly referred the gulls flying by as Lakegulls as the nearest ocean was over 300 miles away. By car that is,probaly only 250 miles as gulls fly. Not to be confused with Garbage Dump gulls, although they look very similar. 

I've had a chicken at Snack Shack jump on our table and steal French fries 🍟 

• Haha 2