Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

18 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Neil's mother in law owned the Esther Manor hotel in the Catskills. Neil's father must be glad he didn't take your father's advice.

Yes,I know she owned that hotel.My father was great at giving advice to people.He knew Carl Reiner and told him he would never make it in show business.He told him to be an Accountant.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I always preferred Nantucket sleigh ride, and a theme from an Imaginary Western from Mountain.  Mississippi Queen always seemed like a throw away to me.  I will have to google the others, although I think I remember Mandrill.

Are any of those giant over weight guys from Mountain still alive?

Leslie West passed away recently.He was a cousin of a friend of mine and a cousin of one of my medical doctors.

Mississippi Queen was Mountain’s signature song.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, George C said:

I saw Donavan in Central Park in mid 1970’s, went to a few excellent concerts in Fillmore east, people were passing these little cigarettes around during the concerts . Also remember cruise directors tell ing everyone to smoke or flush everything before going thru customs in the 1980’s , not that I would ever do anything like that. 

I saw great concerts in the Fillmore East.I remember people passing the funny little cigarettes.

I saw Simon and Garfunkel live in Central Park and also Diana Ross.She looked into the crowd and asked if anyone would like to come up and dance with her.I volunteered my co-worker Cliff and he loved it.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

She also had a laser treatment prior to getting each one done. Amazing what she is sharing with me now it is done. 

Just gave her eye drops now. Another set in minutes.  She has crazy looking lenses to wear at night, in prevention of eye rubbing. 

My Mom ended up sleeping in her recliner because of the things she had to wear at night.  I hope your Mom is able to get some rest tonight. 🙂 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, Graham, appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

I'm so very very sad about this happening, but, at the same time, it was a tragedy waiting to happen.

The police asked for 3000 persons at a time, but arrived 100.000 and the police were overwhelmed.

Last year, it was Corona cancelled, and the Ministry of Health was against the festival happening this year too....

Covid may be a bit behind us, but at this festival one of the traditions is to cut the hair for the 1st time to toddlers at 3 years of age... All those unvaccinated kids with many young families in a very narrow place.

Life is sacred, much more than an annual tradition....😢😢

I was shocked when I heard what happened but it did not surprise me.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

......Covid may be a bit behind us, but at this festival one of the traditions is to cut the hair for the 1st time to toddlers at 3 years of age... All those unvaccinated kids with many young families in a very narrow place.

Life is sacred, much more than an annual tradition....😢😢

Sorry to hear about this tragic event. Hoping there isn’t a spike among the families that were there and I agree about life being more important than a tradition. Hoping for the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2021 at 9:58 AM, island lady said:

Bags are packed!   We bought these wild looking Tumi suitcases just before the shut down from Covid, but did get to use them once for Alaska last August (but no cruise, which was cancelled).  

20210429_093515.jpg

Have fun and love the print on the luggage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Thanks. Must be an old picture of Tony Orlando. 😏

There was a time in Brooklyn and likely in other parts of NY and cities in other states when teenagers gathered on every corner singing Doo Wop hoping to be discovered.One such group that I know of was The Impalas.

13 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Sorry to hear about this tragic event. Hoping there isn’t a spike among the families that were there and I agree about life being more important than a tradition. Hoping for the best.

To these people life is not as important as religion.

• Like 1

So we have been having big winds all day today. Sustained winds of 50kmh and gusts to near 90kmh. Been slowly watching this happen a single at a time over the last few hours. 

BBA3119E-F89B-4150-9D80-5F1264E1D5BA.thumb.jpeg.3e3ba78a9d7ef28367d513c28607aa36.jpeg

Our contractor is coming out tomorrow morning. We have a part bundle of shingles in the shed. The wind will die down tonight otherwise I’d be up there now. Ugh. 

F9230C4F-3D4D-4CA5-B3FB-12EC55E8D433.thumb.jpeg.10a9206dd74884006540b1dd579601de.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,I know she owned that hotel.My father was great at giving advice to people.He knew Carl Reiner and told him he would never make it in show business.He told him to be an Accountant.

Maybe your father just didn't like show business as a career?

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Mom had her cataracts done today. She is resting and staying with us for the next few days. Been a long day for her, and me. 

8D0DA958-D67A-46F2-BD71-5538CE4C43C3.thumb.jpeg.da3434a88c35d884822cddc7458511f7.jpeg

When my mom had them done she said it was like a veil lifted away from her eyes and she was able to see clearly.  I'm sure your mom will feel the same way.

• Like 2

Country living has some advantages but we do miss some services.

When we did the home addition and renovation we had to add a new septic system. It’s now monitored remotely, like our propane. We also have a well, 320’ deep, no city water here. 

Wells and septic are our biggest challenges as well.  That and sucky internet service at our home.  We dug a new well when we bought, the previous owners were living on 3gpm. We went 680 ft down and now have 13-15 GPM.  I need new/better water softener still I keep saying I'm going to get it but never get around to it.  We have solar for electric now. We saved massively when we got that.

• Like 2

Below ground propane tank?  I’ve never heard of such a thing. Up here they are all above ground. 

Our propane provider installed the monitor devices on all three of our tanks free of charge. I still look at the levels though when the temperature drops in the winter. 

Very common in many places I've lived.

Mainly rural😉

Edited by John&LaLa

On the same idea of your post… on my car tour a few years ago I was amazed that the rural areas SE of Atlanta had fire hydrants in the middle of nowhere. Living in the country where there are none, I noticed it immediately.

Planning for future

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Planning for future

We have it here between the two smaller local towns, but not off that road. The fire department uses those hydrants for filling tanker trucks VS going back to the fire hall to fill up. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Wells and septic are our biggest challenges as well.  That and sucky internet service at our home.  We dug a new well when we bought, the previous owners were living on 3gpm. We went 680 ft down and now have 13-15 GPM.  I need new/better water softener still I keep saying I'm going to get it but never get around to it.  We have solar for electric now. We saved massively when we got that.

Our well supplies the same output as yours.  The softener helps for sure. We have the drilled well here, and a second spring well.  The drilled well is for the house. The spring well is used for pumping water to an irrigation well at my mom’s house, for lawn irrigation. She has also has a drilled well for her house. The sprinkler well is basically a holding tank 60’ deep. My spring well is only 5’ deep and has never gone dry and produces 15 gallons a minute.  We figured the more water around here the better. 

Between both houses, about a 1/3 of a mile, we also have a 2” line run that either house can supply water to each other if one well goes down. We have done it before over the years, when a pump goes down and before it can be pulled for replacement. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

When we bought our house it was on well water.  Then one day my husband was talking to the neighbor who mentioned the water main that runs in front of our houses.  Now we have water from the water company for the house and the well for irrigation.  Our last water bill was $14.00.  We can put the house back on the well if we need to as a backup.  We have septic.  Propane for the cook top.  Electric for everything else with a generator for backup.  

• Like 2

This house, which we downsized to almost 4 years ago, was built in 1978.  Some of the major things were brand new when we bought it such as roof, windows, a/c system.  We have town (actually “county”) water supply.  It has natural gas heat with the original 40+ year old furnace.  Certainly not the most efficient thing but it still works great.  Also still has the original septic system, which we have inspected & pumped yearly. Neighbors tell us the previous owners also maintained it meticulously. We’re prepared to replace either, but for now, if it ain’t broke....

• Like 3