Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

13 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We took the ferry once.  It was an enjoyable change of pace.  Only about a 15 minute trip.  I think it's only used by people who live in Mayport or do it for tourism reasons.  Otherwise, it's faster to take I-295 and Hecksher Drive to get to the same place. 

The restaurant that you mention is probably the Sandollar.  We ate there once and the food was good.  Would be even better in warmer weather when you can sit on the deck overlooking the St. Johns River.  You also get a good view of the Mayport Naval Station across the river.  They were doing some sort of helicopter exercises when we ate there.

An even better place to eat, if you like VERY fresh seafood, is on the Mayport side of the ferry.  It's called Safe Harbor seafood.  It's a seafood basket and picnic table kind of place, i.e. not fancy at all. Many of the fishing boats dock right there and they also have a wholesale seafood market (open to the public) right across the street.  Food is caught that day.

Yup, Sandollar is the one.  🙂  

When we were there, it was still Covid restrictions, most seating was on the deck outside, but it was a beautiful warm day.   I had a great Redfish sandwich, coating with pecans.  Yums!  We very much enjoyed our table along the water's edge. 

Since we were just playing tourist, we had plenty of time and no worries about how long the trip was.  It was nice to just follow A1A up, and stay off the highways, which we did all the way from home here in Central Florida.  

12 hours ago, davekathy said:

I thought the Girl Scouts moto was, "buy two boxes of cookies, you can't eat just one". 😁

LOL...indeed Girl Scouts were not nearly as fun as Boy Scouts.  My mother was a boy scout leader.  Those boys did all kinds of fun stuff...the Girl Scouts were all about sewing, cooking, cookie sales...etc.   Blaaaaa   😜.... too "girly-girl" for me...so I didn't last long with them.  Assuming things have changed in the last 50 years.  

• Like 1

In the 1970's when I was a new nurse, I developed what at that time was called the "nurse curse".

Smoking, and drinking.

I would ask to work 3-11 on weekends just to have Friday's off.

Why?

Well, every Friday after day shift we all went to the local watering hole and enjoyed 

"Fluid and Electrolyte rounds"

AKA  Happy Hour.

It would last till about 7pm.

Never bought a drink.

It was our job to invite the doctors so they would buy the rounds.

Left Happy.

Then home, quick nap, shower

Of for an evening of dancing.

Oh to be young again.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Massachusetts is one of the few states that still has a mask mandate.  Our Governor announced earlier this week that the mask mandate is up on May 29th and all other restrictions are being lifted with the exception of mass transit, healthcare facilities and a few other things.  All businesses can go to 100% capacity and all the businesses that have not been allowed to open yet can finally open.  Gradually stores are announcing that they are dropping their mask mandates on May 29th and follow the states guideline but time will tell.  Right now, I see 100% mask wearing inside but people are starting to not wear them outside as our state allowed a couple of weeks ago.  I am not sure what I am going to do once we can stop wearing them.  I have not had a single respiratory issue since this pandemic started but I have also isolated myself too.  Though I am fully vaccinated, I might be one of those mask wearing people in the grocery store.

I feel the same, as do a lot of older generation people in my area.  Though masks not required for vaxed customers....per signs on the doors...many still wearing them.  Could be habit, could be just extra precaution.   

Bucky said he will continue to wear his in the stores, but me over this last week...I have started trying to walk around in the grocery store, Walmart without one...but it feels strange.  And I start to wonder if I am getting "the look" from the ones with masks on, as I felt about the maskless ones when it was still boldly stated that it was required for entry.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, h20skibum said:

And finally, just came back from the dentist, and they still have their “mask required to enter” signs up.  That is one that never made sense, because everyone has to take that mask off in the chair.  

Makes sense...same with restaurants in the past...wear one until you are seated at your table.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Arzeena said:

I am having difficulty completely ditching my mask. It has become part of my daily make up. Mask withdrawal symptoms are hard. So slowly.......today I didn't wear it in the parking lot. 😁.  I don't think I am going to stop wearing it indoors soon.

Saved so much money on lipstick and lip gloss last year. 😁

We were laughing about that on a tour in CA last week.  The ladies we were with and I were wondering if lipstick sales will go back up now.  We also talked about tossing out our old lipstick collection (those thing do spoil and get rancid).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

I feel the same, as do a lot of older generation people in my area.  Though masks not required for vaxed customers....per signs on the doors...many still wearing them.  Could be habit, could be just extra precaution.   

Bucky said he will continue to wear his in the stores, but me over this last week...I have started trying to walk around in the grocery store, Walmart without one...but it feels strange.  And I start to wonder if I am getting "the look" from the ones with masks on, as I felt about the maskless ones when it was still boldly stated that it was required for entry.  

I am not wearing my mask in stores that haven't posted their requirement. I take it as advertising that I have had my shots - done the right thing and feel safe (for me and for others).  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We took our kids to a science museum in Louisville many years ago and one of the exhibits was pig lungs.  They are apparently similar to human lungs.  One was healthy and one had simulated smoking for many years.  The difference in visual appearance between the two was enough to scare my kids away from smoking but then they inflated both lungs with air.  The healthy lung inflated like a balloon while the smoking lung barely moved.  It was a very effective anti-smoking exhibit.  

I remember watching a film that was shown in school when I was very young...still remember it vividly...the lab techs painted cigarette type tar on lab rats.  They ended up with big gross boils.  Turned my stomach big time. 

Then my Dad (who I adored) told me he hopes I never start smoking.  I told him I never would.    

Those two events shaped me to be a non-smoker for life.  😊

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Getting ready to leave for the day while a bunch of strangers walk through my house.  Strange feeling.  24 showings scheduled for today with 8 more scheduled for tomorrow if needed.  Sad comment on society...our agent told us to take anything of value (jewelry, medication, documents, etc.) with us.  She's had things "disappear" from houses during showings.

Sad commentary but true.  We sold 3 houses and were careful to take valuables with us whenever the houses were shown.  Our realtor told us the same yours did.  I hated having to keep the house in pristine condition during that time.  Having to get lost when the houses were shown was also not fun.  I always felt uncomfortable knowing strangers would be peering into our closets. We found creative places to hide contents of our medicine cabinet. Two of our houses were sold in 3 days, one in 4 months.

Hoping you get lots of wonderful offers.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

woke up thinking about you all today @HBE4 @dani negreanu  Life is short, thus we must treasure it 

@bobmaclibertycant wait to hear all the news 

We should enjoy every day.

It has been raining for 2 days but now it has stopped so we popped down to the beach to replicate our ship balcony view.

I hope you are both enjoying your new house.

Take care.

Graham.

16216037311948656057523194521818.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, davekathy said:

I started in 1965. Quit in 1991, cold turkey. Physically and financially one of the best things I did.  

Bucky used to smoke (his ex wife did more so).   He mostly did when he was overseas working in Asia, and of course when he was in Nam.  

When he met me, he knew I was a non-smoker and that I would never match up with a smoker.  He quit cold turkey for me.  Awww....  🥰

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

My reward, a hot shower after a day in the mid-80s.  Also a taco bowl for dinner. 

4C150277-D5F6-47F8-B94D-6F960FEEE7DC.thumb.jpeg.259ad3a4d82f90d6c9ff29489b2fa6b2.jpeg

And Lucy relaxed, after a full day sleeping on the front porch chair. Must have a busy night planned tonight. 

D73607AF-674A-4815-84B9-19C9C59506F9.thumb.jpeg.0de959ab734ec13d95ffaf60ed59c4ba.jpeg

Yumms on the taco bowl!!  Simple and delicious looking!

Of course Lucy sleeps all day, probably indeed has a big party planned for tonight.  😄 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, George C said:

I worked for several companies where the 3 martini lunch was common Monday to Friday. I remember my first job on payday the whole department went to a bar in lobby for there coffee break, I was 17 at the time.

When I was in the wine business as a rep to area restaurants for 12 years...drinking on the job was a requirement.  😉  I brought in samples for my customers.  It was considered rude not to sip along with them.  

Sales meetings every other Friday in Orlando at 8 am, almost always entailed sampling 5-8 new wines they were considering bringing in.  No "spit" buckets set on the conference table.  Ughhh...8 am was a tad early for drinking wine.  😮 

Then when various winery reps would ride with me during one of my daily sales routes...there was always the long lunch they bought.  And it always involved having a bottle of wine to share during the meal.  Then...that pretty much ended the day early.  🥴

• Like 6

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Getting ready to leave for the day while a bunch of strangers walk through my house.  Strange feeling.  24 showings scheduled for today with 8 more scheduled for tomorrow if needed.  Sad comment on society...our agent told us to take anything of value (jewelry, medication, documents, etc.) with us.  She's had things "disappear" from houses during showings.

And they do when contractors come in as well.  

Had one guy come to measure for our quartz counter top in the main bathroom.  He was only in the house for less than 5 minutes when he asked to use the 2nd bathroom.  Though we have a beautiful public bath/laundry facility only 5 houses down (that he passed on the way here)..he had to "take a big dump" in our bathroom.  Uggh..😕

Later I noticed 2 empty spaces on the metal door of the little bathroom that earlier had two of my souvenir magnets from various cruise ports on it.  He took them!  How tacky is that??!!  The magnets were not expensive, but really???  Steal someone's souvenirs?  😠  I could never prove it, so I let it go. 

Funny thing...if he had asked me, telling me he admired them and offered to pay for them...I would have just given them to him.  

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, island lady said:

It definitely feels strange without a mask. I'm trying to go without more often but keep one handy in case I need to talk to someone, like at the deli or pharmacy. I was yelled at by another customer in Publix. She told me I was being inconsiderate, reckless and uncaring, for other humans, by not wearing a mask. I thanked her for her opinion and walked away.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

I am not wearing my mask in stores that haven't posted their requirement. I take it as advertising that I have had my shots - done the right thing and feel safe (for me and for others).  

I am trying to tell myself that as well....but have been so used to having to wear one, even though indeed had been vaxed fully since February...it still feels strange.  😉 

4 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

It definitely feels strange without a mask. I'm trying to go without more often but keep one handy in case I need to talk to someone, like at the deli or pharmacy. I was yelled at by another customer in Publix. She told me I was being inconsiderate, reckless and uncaring, for other humans, by not wearing a mask. I thanked her for her opinion and walked away.

Indeed I still keep my mask in my pocket for just in case.  I walked up to pick up my med refills at Publix, and took my mask out to put it on...until I realized the employees in the Pharmacy were not wearing them either. 😉  The cashier checking me out for groceries, also did not have one on.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

I am trying to tell myself that as well....but have been so used to having to wear one, even though indeed had been vaxed fully since February...it still feels strange.  😉 

It was strange to wear one and now it is liberating to me and being closer to the "old normal". It feels good to breathe again. I do carry a folded up mask and have a 10 pack in our cars glove box for those few instances where it is still "mandated". I'm not sure of the requirements up in Maine for your Summer trip.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, island lady said:

I never got that used to masks anyway.  Being retired and in an area where they were not mandated there have been many places all this time that I never wore one.  The longest I had to wear one was during my mani/pedis.  I am not sure about the salon (my next appt. is Monday) but everywhere I have been this week has either had the signs taken down or signs saying fully vaccinated people have the option to not wear one.  At the Doctor's office there was a sign to wear masks but once inside the receptionist/nurse/doctor were not wearing them so I took mine off too.  "The look" has never swayed me one way or the other.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, island lady said:

And they do when contractors come in as well.  

Had one guy come to measure for our quartz counter top in the main bathroom.  He was only in the house for less than 5 minutes when he asked to use the 2nd bathroom.  Though we have a beautiful public bath/laundry facility only 5 houses down (that he passed on the way here)..he had to "take a big dump" in our bathroom.  Uggh..😕

Later I noticed 2 empty spaces on the metal door of the little bathroom that earlier had two of my souvenir magnets from various cruise ports on it.  He took them!  How tacky is that??!!  The magnets were not expensive, but really???  Steal someone's souvenirs?  😠  I could never prove it, so I let it go. 

Funny thing...if he had asked me, telling me he admired them and offered to pay for them...I would have just given them to him.  

Happened to use a few years back when we had some remodeling done. The jerk never toke anything, it's what he left behind! 🤢🤬After that we tell the contractor right up front to put in the contract that he is to instruct all his subs our bathrooms are off limits. No ands, ifs or buts. Pun intended. 😁

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

Indeed I still keep my mask in my pocket for just in case.  I walked up to pick up my med refills at Publix, and took my mask out to put it on...until I realized the employees in the Pharmacy were not wearing them either. 😉  The cashier checking me out for groceries, also did not have one on.  

Down here in Dallas I have not seen any employees in any store and waiters and bar staff without masks, I also keep a mask in my pockets most stores still seem to require masks , I definitely never got used to them and have problems breathing with them , which is one reason we haven’t be on a plane yet .

• Like 2