Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Since we have been able to work remotely for several years now we cruise anywhere from 6 to 10 times a year.   The shortest was a 5 night and that is way too quick.  Like to do 10 to 12 nighters and absolutely  love when we do a month every january/february for the last couple of years.

How do you do all that with pets? :classic_smile: I am just curious, because our travel is limited by them. 

5 hours ago, derorim said:

That pool cover is awesome.

Wished we could have one, but our pool is kidney shaped.

4 minutes ago, Coralc said:

How do you do all that with pets? :classic_smile: I am just curious, because our travel is limited by them. 

I know you asked Sunshine, but we hire someone to come over everyday to check on them and refill the automatic feeder and wet food in the morning. We also have the Litter Robot so it automatically cleans, just needs the bag taken out twice a week. When Mike lumps his 4 weeks vacation together he will also trip trade or drop trips so that we end up with about 6 weeks.

Between cruises and before/after stays we can easily be gone for 5/6 weeks. It’s very hard being away from them. We will probably have cats for many more years, but we also want to travel and not just for short times. We also have a friend that will stop by and hang out with them sometimes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! :classic_biggrin: We paid someone come in once a day previously to take care of them on trips. We are going to the other house for a week, and planning to endure the trip and bring all the stuff to take them with us. Because they are both special needs cats now. That's why I wondered if others traveled with theirs. :classic_smile:

Edited by Coralc

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Have you ever passed by Eagle’s Nest Aerodrome south of Palatka and west of Crescent Lake off of Huntington Road/308? We used to fly in and stay with Mike L. (Mike’s godfather) and then a bunch of us would fly to Sun ‘n Fun. That’s me getting to do some touch and goes for my first time on floats. That’s also me landing with Mike L. hanger behind it. Sorry the pictures aren’t the best.

Screenshot_20210606-012513_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210606-012339_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes!!!  I ride Shortcut Rd and the Roads around Georgetown. This is one of my favorite areas to ride. Some nice curvy roads (for Florida). We frequent Renegades on the River, Shrimp R Us, and 3 Bananas. There is a Winery on 309. We generally ride all through this area. On our list includes a trip around Lake Como, and Sisco Rd/Main St around Lake Broward. There are several grass Airports in this area. These are our Fav riding areas East of the St John’s and North of 40. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Have you ever passed by Eagle’s Nest Aerodrome south of Palatka and west of Crescent Lake off of Huntington Road/308?

I just wanted to add, not sure when the last time you were there, there used to be an Orange Grove at the Southend of the runway. Last time I rode by, they had cleared the area, no more Orange Trees. Not sure what the plans are for that lot/area. 

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We havent done anything higher than a JS.  For us, we prefer to cruise several times a year.  And I love to do b2bs and b2b2bs.  Nothing like several weeks on a cruise ship.  I'm afraid that if we do a GS then my boss will cut back my number of sailings per year.  

Years ago we sailed only OV’s.  On Explorer in 2013 we had a Promenade View. On Explorer again in 2014, we had a Promenade again but 2 days in when we realized how empty the ship was ( this sailing was immediately following a Noro cruise & a lot of people cancelled), we asked if we could move to a balcony. I think they charged us about $200, but we were hooked. I so want to move up to a suite but afraid that as M8 says, same thing will happen - we’ll be hooked and not be able to go back

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I so want to move up to a suite but afraid that as M8 says, same thing will happen - we’ll be hooked and not be able to go back

Once you try, you say goodbye to the cabin you used to book. You know it. 😁

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

I haven’t been posting much, but have been trying to keep up. We’ve just been unbelievably busy since retuning from FL. Primarily, getting some landscaping done and trying to piece together some pool furniture.  We visited two porch & patio furniture stores and both quoted  at least 12-16 weeks to get anything we order.  For now, we found a table at Lowe’s, but no chairs. I stumbled across chairs at Bed, Bath & Beyond of all places  - good quality actually - had to visit 3 stores to get the 10 I wanted (6 for table & 4 for fire pit).  Waiting on lounge chairs which should be delivered this week 🤞
Then yesterday was a long overdue visit to my MIL in Albany, so 3 hours up, 5 hour visit and 3 hours back. 
Today we have our first pool/cookout day with the kids/grandkids.

Right now I’m off to bake chocolate chip cookies with my oldest grandson (10) via FaceTime.  They live in PA, he loves to cook & we started doing this once in a while during lockdown. 

B5135BE1-B3D6-4C4F-9B7E-619A0C3D8258.jpeg

• Like 11

22 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

Was that a typo and meant...........got Bucky????????

LOL...that is how we intro him to the cabin attendants.  I tell them...just call him "Lucky Bucky".  😄  They do remember that...though they seem to remember way more than I ever could!  😮 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Right now I’m off to bake chocolate chip cookies with my oldest grandson (10) via FaceTime.  They live in PA, he loves to cook & we started doing this once in a while during lockdown. 

B5135BE1-B3D6-4C4F-9B7E-619A0C3D8258.jpeg

Awesome idea!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I think the "quality" of the upstairs bathroom depends on the ship. Symphony CLS bathrooms weren't that luxurious.  The downstairs bath was basically a glorified balcony bath.  Still, 2 bathrooms was worth it.  I was relegated to the downstairs bathroom, along with my clothes in the downstairs closet.  Allowed us to spread out nicely.

Definitely a plus to having two bathrooms...when suddenly needed!  😉 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm just catching up.  Missed a lot last night and today.  Hope you had a beautiful day at Bar Harbor for your special day.  Make it a special week, that's what I do😁

We did...thanks!  The Bar Harbor trip was wonderful, and the hotel room made us feel (and look!) like we were back on a cruise.  😉 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

I have a very good neighbors.     My last cat sitter died from covid 2 mos. ago so my other neighbor volunteered to help out.     My previous cat, Splashes passed away last Fall at 21 yrs old, we was used to us traveling.    she knew the routine and I think she got extra spoiled because we traveled.     

This is our first time leaving home since we adopted our cats, Sparky and Eva last November.     Eva seemed to know what was happening when I brought out the luggage.    Sparky didn't seem to notice anything different till yesterday morning when our cars were all packed and ready to leave he wouldn't leave me alone he kept following me everywhere, getting under my feet, meowing, etc. etc.     I just spoke with my neighbor and she said everyone had their breakfast and now outside for their morning stroll before the 90's and humidity hit there this afternoon. 

I will definitely buy my neighbor a gift for her help, I promised I would at least bring her some fresh made fudge.      She thinks she owes me since I snow blowed and shoveled her driveway with our many snow storms this winter, but I owe her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Have you ever passed by Eagle’s Nest Aerodrome south of Palatka and west of Crescent Lake off of Huntington Road/308? We used to fly in and stay with Mike L. (Mike’s godfather) and then a bunch of us would fly to Sun ‘n Fun. That’s me getting to do some touch and goes for my first time on floats. That’s also me landing with Mike L. hanger behind it. Sorry the pictures aren’t the best.

Screenshot_20210606-012513_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210606-012339_Samsung Internet.jpg

Do you still fly?  I’m thinking of taking it up again. I only got to about 10 hours in a 152 before running out of daylight during the week (dark going to work, dark coming home from work). I stopped taking lessons and never took it up again. That was about 30 years ago 🤣. There’s an airport about 5 minutes from my house now and the idea of fly ins and couple day trips sounds intriguing. Maybe I’ll play with Flight Simulator for a while and see if this is just a temporary itch to be scratched. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, voyager70 said:

My hair salon is still requiring masks, even if you're fully vaccinated, which I am.  Not happy today, sorry to vent folks.  I'm so over this.

Bucky and I had hair cuts just before we left for Maine.  No masks being worn by the owner, her assistant, and all the customers.  Felt strange, but appreciated.  🙂 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coralc said:

Our last fur baby passed away 2 years ago.  Six months after that we planned a lot of long and international cruises.  Had 28 of them booked.  Well...so much for that!  😮 

Covid knocked them all down...stuck at home for a year...no fur baby to snuggle. 😥  I don't want to adopt another couple of homeless kittens right now, hoping to finally get to do those long trips at some point. Then maybe later. 

We usually travel up to Maine in the "land yacht"  (AKA motor home) since we could take the girls with us.  Would not have been able to take them this summer staying at rental homes.  

We did have an excellent cat sitter that would send me 3-4 pictures of the girls everyday, with description of how her visit went.  But just not the same for them or for me.  Two weeks was about Max for me when we still had them. 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I stopped taking lessons and never took it up again. That was about 30 years ago 🤣.

That sounds like me, but I stopped about 40 years ago. VFR, not instrument, but it was a lot of fun.  

I can’t believe that the plane rental, with fuel included, was only $40/hour.  I wonder what it is now.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have a very good neighbors.     My last cat sitter died from covid 2 mos. ago so my other neighbor volunteered to help out.     My previous cat, Splashes passed away last Fall at 21 yrs old, we was used to us traveling.    she knew the routine and I think she got extra spoiled because we traveled.     

This is our first time leaving home since we adopted our cats, Sparky and Eva last November.     Eva seemed to know what was happening when I brought out the luggage.    Sparky didn't seem to notice anything different till yesterday morning when our cars were all packed and ready to leave he wouldn't leave me alone he kept following me everywhere, getting under my feet, meowing, etc. etc.     I just spoke with my neighbor and she said everyone had their breakfast and now outside for their morning stroll before the 90's and humidity hit there this afternoon. 

I will definitely buy my neighbor a gift for her help, I promised I would at least bring her some fresh made fudge.      She thinks she owes me since I snow blowed and shoveled her driveway with our many snow storms this winter, but I owe her.

Good neighbours are priceless 

• Like 5

I am so far behind on this thread, I don’t know if I will catch up.  

Walked by this Airstream this morning and thought maybe it was @xpcdoojk on the way to Andrew’s place to park it.  

BA9B8B6A-E031-4C6A-AA02-B01DC2F5AEFF.thumb.jpeg.ed0c6dc4e7a75423dd0e4491c41120c7.jpeg

By the way, there was a story in Car and Driver this month about getting one of these sideways on the interstate.  Unintentionally, of course. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, island lady said:

Bucky and I had hair cuts just before we left for Maine.  No masks being worn by the owner, her assistant, and all the customers.  Felt strange, but appreciated.  🙂 

Adding my birthday wishes Pat.  Hopefully next year you'll celebrate on a cruise! 😁

• Like 3