Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

No spoilers from me. 

Beautiful pictures above.

Thanks on both fronts. I would’ve like to have taken some yesterday, on the longest day of the year, but unfortunately was cloudy and overcast.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It was nice to get away but some issues with Paulines sister and her husband soured the break. 

@grapau27

Before I start my once a day ramble about a topic, I want you to know I feel your pain.

To begin with I will start with my husbands family.  Well, there isn't one.   His last blood relative passed away in October.  We were close, but he did not suffer.

Now to my family.

Besides my DD and future son in law, I have one remaining blood relative.

My brother.

Now depending on his mood and how many beers he has consumed he is either the nicest guy a girl could ask for or a condescending know it all.

He was blessed with brains.

A retired electrical engineer that was contracted all over the world.

Worked for NASA on the shuttles (the ones that did not have issues). as well as Russia, Japan, Brazil and Canada to name a few of his destinations.

His specialty was designing programs to make steel mills run by computer programs, Heat conduction.  It all depended on formulas and calculations.  He was a math genius.  There was no problem he could not solve in High School.

When he went to college, he just did the homework, and showed up for his finals and aced them.

And companies wanted him for his finesse with the ability to conquer and trouble shoot high temps on computers and hardware.

He was paid quite well, regular salary and out of country expenses.  He is a Miser.  

Now comes along younger sister. Me.

A RN, but wanted more.

So I go back to school and become a nurse anesthetist.  Well, there is a shortage in our profession and to put it mildly, he could not believe I made more than him.

But, some of my income went to support my parents, and when my dad passed away, we helped my mom.  Social Security was inadequate.

To the present.

The wedding in 3 weeks.

Our DD. His niece. 

He attends functions for her when he wants.

He missed her baptism, communion, confirmation, eight grade graduation, high school graduation, college under graduation and graduate graduation ceremonies.

Occasionally she gets a birthday or Christmas gift.

So now the wedding.  It is not a black tie, but a formal event.

He informed me that no one gets dressed up to go to weddings anymore.  REALLY!!!!

He is wearing a shirt, no tie, and slacks.

I was hoping he would walk me down the aisle at the ceremony.

Well, not going to happen.

I am sure he will consume a few beers, so it is probably best he does not do it.

It is what  it is.

But just want you to know every family has some things that we wish could be better.

Oh I care about him.

Just wish he would care about us.

DD, has voice many a time how unfortunate he does not take an active part in her life.

Thank you for letting me ramble on and on and on.

I feel better.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lionesss said:

He informed me that no one gets dressed up to go to weddings anymore.  REALLY!!!!

My sons wedding in August is also a formal affair.  My daughter in law (to be) wants all the ladies to wear big hats .

I went up to London dress shopping with my best friend, and bought a gourgous dress made in Italy. So happy I found something I love.  

As mother of the groom I will be with the grooms party the night before and morning of the wedding and have been tasked  to make sure all the men have perfect Windsor knots in their ties 

Looking forward to hearing more about your daughters wedding 

Sue

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Lionesss said:

@grapau27

Before I start my once a day ramble about a topic, I want you to know I feel your pain.

To begin with I will start with my husbands family.  Well, there isn't one.   His last blood relative passed away in October.  We were close, but he did not suffer.

Now to my family.

Besides my DD and future son in law, I have one remaining blood relative.

My brother.

Now depending on his mood and how many beers he has consumed he is either the nicest guy a girl could ask for or a condescending know it all.

He was blessed with brains.

A retired electrical engineer that was contracted all over the world.

Worked for NASA on the shuttles (the ones that did not have issues). as well as Russia, Japan, Brazil and Canada to name a few of his destinations.

His specialty was designing programs to make steel mills run by computer programs, Heat conduction.  It all depended on formulas and calculations.  He was a math genius.  There was no problem he could not solve in High School.

When he went to college, he just did the homework, and showed up for his finals and aced them.

And companies wanted him for his finesse with the ability to conquer and trouble shoot high temps on computers and hardware.

He was paid quite well, regular salary and out of country expenses.  He is a Miser.  

Now comes along younger sister. Me.

A RN, but wanted more.

So I go back to school and become a nurse anesthetist.  Well, there is a shortage in our profession and to put it mildly, he could not believe I made more than him.

But, some of my income went to support my parents, and when my dad passed away, we helped my mom.  Social Security was inadequate.

To the present.

The wedding in 3 weeks.

Our DD. His niece. 

He attends functions for her when he wants.

He missed her baptism, communion, confirmation, eight grade graduation, high school graduation, college under graduation and graduate graduation ceremonies.

Occasionally she gets a birthday or Christmas gift.

I am sure he will consume a few beers, so it is probably best he does not do it.

It is what  it is.

But just want you to know every family has some things that we wish could be better.

Oh I care about him.

Just wish he would care about us.

DD, has voice many a time how unfortunate he does not take an active part in her life.

Thank you for letting me ramble on and on and on.

I feel better.

I'm sorry to hear what your awful brother is like and hope your beautiful daughter and her partner have a fantastic wedding.

You are right I think a lot of people have bad apples in their families whose sole purpose seems to be to cause upset and aggravation to their families.

Graham.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline straight to the shops.

😁 Speaking of shopping --

Last week, when it seemed that Covid is behind us with the lifting of the restrictions of wearing masks inside, I drove to a neighboring city to fill our tax returns. There is a free service for small businesses, and I've been using it for the last 35 years.

Usually, there is a long wait, and I always come equipped with reading material.

This time, there were 3 bored clerks waiting just for me....

I was in and out in a few minutes, and found myself with a whole "free" afternoon [from bureaucratic tasks] ahead of me.

Decided to treat myself to a bit of shopping therapy, after more than an year, and drove to an adjacent shopping mall.

I really really wanted to make good use of my credit card, and entered the various shops (Zara, Mango, H&M) full of "motivation".  Alas, either the fashion has changed, or I have changed, nothing was found, and not for lack of trying.

Nevertheless, it was soooo good browsing shops again .

Felt better 😁.

• Like 14

10 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Their price seems to be comparable to around here, but being from Canada it is hard to do a dollar comparison.  They provide great quality tint and PPF.  I have not used their brand of ceramic coating but have heard of it.  

I always ceramic coat on top of the PPF. 

With knowing little about it seems worthy of a call and most likely a site visit. It seems as though they have a good presentation but forward by their website.

You might appreciate these pics from today. PPF being cut on a plotter. They only hand cut when they bulk wrap. Scott has shared horror photos of others who hand cut the PPF on the paint, and cut the actual paint.  

I do plan a site visit to talk to them.  And I found a second shop for evaluation too.

I've seen pictures where the PPF was hand cut and they made many "cuts" in the cars paint.  It was horrible!  I've seen a video where they talk about the machine-cut PPF.  And how they tuck and hide the edges.  And the benefits of using both PPF and a ceramic coating.

Thanks for the great info!

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That is sad you lost your relationship with you Dad when he remarried. 

I have always been a Daddy's Girl and definitely a Tom Boy and have always loved it!   

Just last weekend when my Brother was at the shore with us we had fun reminiscing about everything we did at the shore as kids.  This is where I learned how to swim, ride a bike, etc. etc. etc 

and drink....... 

Indeed as with you...I was close to my Dad.  He took me fishing, hunting, taught me to ride a bike, then a trail bike, snowmobile...etc.  We were close until his 3rd wife took over.  She was sweet at first, then decided her boys and her family should be his only family.  The wicked stepmother syndrome I guess.  😞 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is really sad on many different levels. 

Thanks...used to make me cry at times...and the tough woman I am, I almost never cry.  But it's been years now, and I am slowly getting over it.  Just have to think of the good times only.  🙂 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, davekathy said:

At least you have good memories of your dad and you have always shared your stories of him and you.

No biggie as our relationship (dad and me) was horrible for as long as I can remember. I never hung around the house much. Made for peace for my mom. When I got drafted and he found out I was headed to hell (Vietnam) he laughed. Enough of that drama. Is your sister still vacationing with you and Bucky?  🍷 

Bucky was not close to his Dad as well.  And it was his Dad that pushed Bucky to join the Army...I think to get rid of him.  But a lot had to do with his mother....she was a real piece of work.  But that's another story in itself. 

Funny thing is I ended up being very close to Bucky's Dad later in life.  He became my substitute father figure, though he did not live close to us.  His wife (Bucky's mom) refused to travel...so he lived vicariously through our travels with lots of pictures.  🙂 I would email him every day, he had quite the comic wit and very smart.  I still miss him dearly, he passed away 10 years ago.  

No, my sister still has her practice to run.  We were only able to steal her away for a week.  It was a great get away for her, she finally had a chance to get some very needed relaxation time.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Thanks...used to make me cry at times...and the tough woman I am, I almost never cry.  But it's been years now, and I am slowly getting over it.  Just have to think of the good times only.  🙂 

Your post has sort of been nagging at me since I read it. I've dealt with many split families and I wish I could say that your situation is unusual but it isn't. It certainly speaks volumes about the woman your father chose to marry. And maybe I shouldn't say this but, since people on this thread certainly seem to speak their minds, your father allowed it to happen. And that is what made me feel really sad when reading your post.

I can't tell you how many kids from split families  I've sat down with over the years  who are traumatized and tried to get them to see that the situation is no fault of their own. Adults are sometimes so damn ignorant and self absorbed.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1