Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Just now, dani negreanu said:

Last seen between 16th and 17th, on 7 Ave 😞

My wife just walked in and I greeted her by asking if she remembered Lehman’s in Manhattan.Normally she has a much better memory than me .However,she too did not remember it.I told her that a woman from Israel remembers it and us native New Yorkers do not.😀

• Like 2

3 hours ago, island lady said:

But I WAS poor people.  😉  And my Dad fried Spam with eggs on Sundays.  😄 

My parents weren’t  precisely poor, but I was born on the north coast of British Columbia. We had no road into the town. Staples in the pantry included Kraft Dinner, powdered milk, Prem (the equivalent of Spam), canned bacon and canned ham. Butter, cheese and milk freeze well. 

I still like fried Spam!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

After a night of tossing and feeling that the store's name is on the tip of my tongue, I was sure that when I'll wake up in the morning, the answers will come flooding....

No....

But during the night I've thought of another way to search, and.... Eureka !!!

"discount fashion store between 16th and 17th NYC" successfully retrieved the answer:

LOEHMANN's....

So some of my memory still works... I vividly remembered LOE.... and 's...

Those were the days of real bargains.... I've seen shirts of a certain label at Bloomingdale's, price tag - 100$, and at Loehmann's -- same label - 10$ !!!

After Loehmann's I went on to Burlington Coat Factory, which 20 years ago had also some gems to sell... Last time I was in NYC, I couldn't find anything for me at BCF, just for grandkids...

Thank you all for trying to jog my memory 🥰

I love to shop, I call it retail therapy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I like sticky rice plain or with butter, salt and pepper. We ate a lot of rice when I was growing up. I guess that's another one of "those poor people" foods. 🙄😉 How's moving day going? Enjoying the trip you are taking us along on.

Moving day is actually tomorrow morning, but indeed starting our pack up and finishing up with laundry.  Had a nice fresh Haddock sandwich (to clean out leftovers) paired of course with an SB and an ice cold Stella.  🤗

Yup, my Mom (who was one of the world's worst cooks) would feed us a lot of rice.  Her deal was plain soggy overboiled rice with butter and brown sugar heaped on a plate and served as the full dinner.  To this day I absolutely cannot stand the thought of brown sugar and rice.  Her other thing was boiled rice with green peppers and canned stewed tomatoes.  OMG...the worst!! 🤢  I was a skinny kid, thank goodness for boxed cereal and "TV" dinners or I would have starved to death!  😉 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

My parents weren’t  precisely poor, but I was born on the north coast of British Columbia. We had no road into the town. Staples in the pantry included Kraft Dinner, powdered milk, Prem (the equivalent of Spam), canned bacon and canned ham. Butter, cheese and milk freeze well. 

I still like fried Spam!

Me too...guilty pleasure...but never make it.  Used to be one of our "emergency rations" for hurricanes I kept on hand.  Tastes so good...and soooo bad for you.  😉 

We had a lot of "snow days" in Michigan where you simply could not go anywhere.  Even if driveway was cleaned out...roads were not for days.  Kept powdered milk, (and Spam 😉 ), canned soups/veggies, and dry pasta on hand at all times in pantry.  

Edited by island lady

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Moving day is actually tomorrow morning, but indeed starting our pack up and finishing up with laundry.  Had a nice fresh Haddock sandwich (to clean out leftovers) paired of course with an SB and an ice cold Stella.  🤗

Yup, my Mom (who was one of the world's worst cooks) would feed us a lot of rice.  Her deal was plain soggy overboiled rice with butter and brown sugar heaped on a plate and served as the full dinner.  To this day I absolutely cannot stand the thought of brown sugar and rice.  Her other thing was boiled rice with green peppers and canned stewed tomatoes.  OMG...the worst!! 🤢  I was a skinny kid, thank goodness for boxed cereal and "TV" dinners or I would have starved to death!  😉 

There needs to be a 🤢for reactions to posts. I would have used it here! No wonder you’re a good cook, you probably had to be!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StanleyandGus said:

There needs to be a 🤢for reactions to posts. I would have used it here! No wonder you’re a good cook, you probably had to be!

Aww...thanks!   

I was self taught indeed.  😉  Bought a Betty Crocker cookbook with my allowance when I was 12 and read it cover to cover.  Started experimenting with cooking from the recipes.  My mother dissed me when she said I did not need to follow all the instructions and full recipes.  But I still did it anyway, and my Dad thanked me.  Guess who the family cook became at age 13?  😉 

I also retired as a sales rep for a major food supply company supplying restaurants...worked with chefs both as co workers and customers for five years.  That is where I really found my calling, especially the workshops they sent us to.  Too many hours, too much stress, but really learned a lot. 

Previous to that, worked as a wine sales rep for 12 years to the same customers....that was much more fun! 😉  Bummed out when they closed down.  😞 

• Like 7

Well, thanks to Southwest Airlines, our plans drastically changed today.  Just as the car is loaded and we are heading for the airport, they call and tell us our flight has been canceled today.  No flights available tomorrow, so now we are booked for Monday.  

So instead of a nice dinner in Napa tonight, we have to make do.  A little time in a hot tub, then off to a Journey tribute band concert tonight.  

37C16EBA-0D0E-4673-A8A8-3446E8AEB36B.thumb.jpeg.e52db197bb7bbc37a9766d3bd2ab608e.jpeg

This was a flight to get us to see our son, daughter in law, and grandson who we haven’t seen since 2019 because of the pandemic. 

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 10

Friends of ours are stuck in Miami their Southwest flight was cancelled and nothing for tomorrow.

Whats Up?????

We pay a tad more for Delta/United, but so far been lucky if flights have been changed getting another.

Hope for resolution.

Stay safe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arzeena said:

If "they" means Cruise Wizard, they are very much on the July 26 (today's) sailing. I am following that.

Plan to watch sailaway on webcam.

I think you mean June 26. Yes, he's on today's sailing,  I got July 3 since that's the thread he's "reporting" on. 

13 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Just as the car is loaded and we are heading for the airport, they call and tell us our flight has been canceled today.  No flights available tomorrow, so now we are booked for Monday.

Bummer. So sad we are at the "mercy" of airlines...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Found it -- Loehmann's....

Don't tell me you don't remember it 😉

Just a little background for those not in the know:

On opening day in October 1996, Loehmann's new five story, 60,000-square-foot Manhattan store on 16th Street and Seventh Avenue was mobbed by frenzied shoppers contending for such merchandise as Giorgio Armani bustiers marked down from $2,810 to $750 as well as upscale goods by Jones New York and DKNY in the $100 to $500 range.

I moved to the Northern NYC suburbs years before Loehmann's opened in Manhattan.  I used to frequent The Bronx store often.

Your memory is remarkable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Well, thanks to Southwest Airlines, our plans drastically changed today.  Just as the car is loaded and we are heading for the airport, they call and tell us our flight has been canceled today.  No flights available tomorrow, so now we are booked for Monday.  

So instead of a nice dinner in Napa tonight, we have to make do.  A little time in a hot tub, then off to a Journey tribute band concert tonight.  

37C16EBA-0D0E-4673-A8A8-3446E8AEB36B.thumb.jpeg.e52db197bb7bbc37a9766d3bd2ab608e.jpeg

This was a flight to get us to see our son, daughter in law, and grandson who we haven’t seen since 2019 because of the pandemic. 

That is terrible!!  Did Southwest give you a reason?  Bad enough cancelled at last minute, but could not even get you on a later flight in the day, and worse ..not even the next day!  I would be livid!   😡You have a much better attitude than I could muster.  😮 

Hope you finally get out there on Monday and have a great time!  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

That is terrible!!  Did Southwest give you a reason?  Bad enough cancelled at last minute, but could not even get you on a later flight in the day, and worse ..not even the next day!  I would be livid!   😡You have a much better attitude than I could muster.  😮 

Hope you finally get out there on Monday and have a great time!  

Nope, no reason.  Just canceled.  I was hoping it would go, but saw they canceled or delayed over 1,000 flights on Friday.  At least daughter’s flight from Florida, back here today wasn’t canceled.  

As long as we get to CA before our return flight on United next weekend, it will be okay.  We plan to bring that grandson back to PA with us for a month or so.  

It is starting to make me rethink just flying the day before a cruise.  May have to start going a couple days before. 

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

It DOES perk us gals up, doesn't it!!!?

On our last cruise out of San Francisco to Hawaii on Grand Princess we stayed 2 nights pre Cruise in SF and Pauline bought 12 dresses in Ross.

She was very Happy 😍

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, singinalot said:

my routine day is definitely not routine today.

Nate is helping neighbors build their fences, so I went and got an overhaul on my hair this morning.61ECFC06-A574-4A27-8693-92D3A6B7B45A.thumb.jpeg.0ffbec79a043dfdde012bec69dd5aa1f.jpeg

DD426F91-579C-46D4-A0BF-080AE648271C.thumb.jpeg.0cb8cfad132d191408251753773269c1.jpeg

I like the "before" picture.

• Like 2