Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Thanks for mentioning Veterans Day.  I have been on a few cruises that fell on that day and it was typically beautifully celebrated. 

The vets in my family include:

My uncle, killed-in-action, Battle of the Bulge, WW2.

Another uncle, Navy, WW2

Another uncle, Korean War. 

My father, served in the Army, but on a ship as a cryptographer, WW2.

My father-in-law, served in the Army, WW2.  Bronze Star, Purple Heart with cluster.

My grandfather, served in the Army in WW1.

My great-great-grandfather, Union soldier, US Civil War. 

Thanks to all who served. 

20201111_122147.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Here is a video that I thought I would share with you that I watch every year about Canadian soldiers being repatriated from Afghanistan. 

Thank-you. ❤️

I speak at a lot of conferences.  A couple years ago I spoke at a convention for a Canadian hotel franchiser.  The key note was give by General Rick Hillier, former Chief of Defense for Canada.  What a wonderful speaker, and you sense his leadership.  After my presentation, I told the organizer "Thanks for putting me on after him."

• Like 3

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I wanted to say thank-you to all that have served, no matter where you live. 

8E4D5CDE-8495-4B4D-9D65-4820791B6B9C.jpeg.28013b45069cb2805c2008275371a640.jpeg

Here is a video that I thought I would share with you that I watch every year about Canadian soldiers being repatriated from Afghanistan. It is a tear jerker but it makes you remember and realize what others sacrifice, so we can live our lives. 

Thank-you. ❤️

Thank you for posting this. My FIL enlisted with The Canadian Forces in the '50s untill the early 80s and my father was in the RAF.  We both hold our armed forces in the highest regard and always raise money for the poppy appeal each year. My FIL 

flew with Canadians in the RAF during WW2 dropping supplies for the resistance behind enemy lines. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am currently just buried with work ( a very good problem to have right now, but a  problem all  the same)  I have been trying to deal with lockdown by having a cruise in my mind.  Setting things up at my house to be more like a cruise.  

Today in an attempt to feel more “cruisey” I had a Seaday in my house.

First I took my breakfast and ate at the back of the ship, watching the ocean (accomplished using a 70 inch tv and

It was so peaceful I decided to get my laptop and knock out a little work. 

Then I was off to fitness center.  Constant change in incline gave the effect that any of you who have been on a treadmill aboard ship know so well.  Luckily I was the only one there, so I got to do a full hour.  It’s been sometime since I remember a ship fitness center without windows, but it is what it is.

I was full and skipped lunch, opting to go to the Aqua Theater for the belly flop contest

I lined up all the artwork from the walls, in our living room, filled some flute glasses with cheap champagne and attended the art auction.  Nothing interested me (my wife has picked all the art in our house, and anything I had picked was garage sale material years ago), so I didn’t bid on anything.

I wasn’t sure what to do next, so I headed to the towel folding class.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04IEtuQI4mM

Then it was back to the cabin for a nap (after putting the artwork back before the wife noticed)

My young neighbor has been doing a great job as the ship photographer, asking me if I want my picture taken before dinner each night.  Tonight is formal night, so we let her take our picture on our way to dinner.

I put one of the tv’s out on the back deck and am finishing the night with a dive in movie.  I haven’t noticed many kids on this cruise, so hopefully my movie won’t be ruined by teenage shenanigans.  Tonight's movie "Saving Private Ryan".

;

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The last two days we have taken an old cow shed at the back of one of our farms that started like this....

9AB05524-8386-42CF-A5FB-FC69E4F68DEA.thumb.jpeg.c092992232219bed6e090c14d48b697a.jpeg

First was removal of the side steel.  The roof was removed by me pounding a long 2X4 from the ground and hammering them off. Needless to say my arms were tired last night. You can see Lisa’s shadow, she even helped out yesterday. 

8DD6871E-0831-4783-9A24-E15EE003B2B4.thumb.jpeg.fcd7386a12256ec402bb2d9dc740d34b.jpeg

After lunch it looked like this. 

01B3D4EB-263A-41EB-ACC5-CC2BEFB859CB.thumb.jpeg.490222e15ada20c7e4154ef6c7a4183d.jpeg

The next step was an easy one. 

Late afternoon the old steel was recycled. The sky was amazing. 

93800542-9F78-4F2D-AC2F-7A3CB9C352DF.thumb.jpeg.466113b841da49ffc9e29012346b1b37.jpeg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Cuomo is locking us down again, not fully, but that probably is coming.  My daughter teaches in a Catholic school down the street and they are going to full remote learning.  Little by little restrictions are being announced😳That is our routine day😢😷

MA did the same thing last week too.  Schools aren't going remote learning yet though.  Some are because of sickness within a particular grade.  Youth hockey had been shutdown for two weeks because of 30 clusters but is back open.  

This morning started like this

5FA33109-5107-4D81-8E2E-85B5150FEC6D.thumb.jpeg.4ef1739051a6020fca2969a365ceea90.jpeg

with a side of this

CCC68754-E8EE-4C90-809C-37B902BD7946.thumb.jpeg.ca69f7df43f0c811ab34e4c696ee6a95.jpeg

and at 3pm it ending up like this.

1888C425-E494-4BAA-840C-907658E4E56B.thumb.jpeg.cc8216d52ababd39cc2e8aa9882e6ead.jpeg

I kept the best lumber for some reason. I guess because at least here in Canada wood has been hard to find during the pandemic.

Tomorrow I am going to carefully remove this steel roof to be repurposed into something. You can’t make patina like that.  Maybe use it as an accent pieces for an outside bar?  Maybe for a pool gazebo bar that we can build next summer... Lisa doesn’t know about that idea yet. 

@singinalotI bet Nate would have some ideas on how to use it. 

I took a quick look and I think what I will do is make two holes in the roof along the ridge structure and apply uplift with the loader. Then cut all the roof structure and then lift it off in one piece. It will be a lot easier to remove the sheets from the ground level than standing on the roof.

Either it will be a success or a successful failure.

E0C4F40A-B67E-43F2-8145-68C219BE027B.thumb.jpeg.024f94922a781ce8faed3e4183a8b1ef.jpeg

Went back after dinner for one final stoke of the fire.  Anyone here ever try fire walking?

53C9275D-9404-49AE-A07F-0EAAB504CE0B.thumb.jpeg.2dcaf104df96b312155f6649de6b6896.jpeg

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I took a quick look and I think what I will do is make two holes in the roof along the ridge structure and apply uplift with the loader. Then cut all the roof structure and then lift it off in one piece. It will be a lot easier to remove the sheets from the ground level than standing on the roof.

That roof is definitely worth saving.  It looks pretty low.  Could you cut the supporting structure and gently tip it off the front off the structure?  I'm guessing you have enough support on the under side that it won't buckle if you lift it up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Domino D said:

That roof is definitely worth saving.  It looks pretty low.  Could you cut the supporting structure and gently tip it off the front off the structure?  I'm guessing you have enough support on the under side that it won't buckle if you lift it up?

Tons of support in it’s the truss system for a potential lift off, and the underside of the structure once removed is no taller than 6’. I might use two axel straps which hold 10K and my chain is grade 80.  The loader can lift 12K.  More than enough potential to do the job, how it ends up is another story.  If I tried to slide it off I’m afraid that the slide that comes down will have damage to the leading edge. 

Cordless tools and a generator are all I have at the back of that farm. My mind too.😂

Coffee in the morning will make it work. 😉

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

he supports the bar idea! @A&L_Ont

Either that or incorporated into a 70s lower truck project.  I’d use it in the box bed to hide the lowered suspension, as a false floor. 

If given the option I think Lisa might go the bar option over the truck one. I’m always thinking especially since we are not cruising right now. 😉

6 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Cuomo is locking us down again, not fully, but that probably is coming.  My daughter teaches in a Catholic school down the street and they are going to full remote learning.  Little by little restrictions are being announced😳That is our routine day😢😷

6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

We need that sad emoji, yet again. 

Wholly agree - it gets to be a "must" lately...

I'm in bucks county, pa.  Some school districts have announced back to virtual learning only, others will decide this week.  Lot of cases relating to schools, school bus drivers had a major outbreak and shutdown buses for one district, etc.   Feel bad for the kiddos but they are definitely transmitting the virus.

No word on any other restrictions, everything else remains open. 

I sure hope salons dont get shutdown.  That was the worst for me in march thru may.

I love the Cdc saying if you go to families house for thanksgiving bring your own food, own plate and silverware.  Show up with a frozen dinner and a tv table LOL!!!

• Like 1

I am sure we will be making national news here in OHIO shortly.

We are in a massive surge of COVID+ people.

Our local hospitals have had to place numerous patients on ventilators these last 4 days.

Although not as critical as it was this past April, it is really starting to impact our area.

Lately the entire news stories have been all related to COVID and its impact. So all the statistics at all the hospitals is public knowledge.

We are hearing our area of the state maybe going "PURPLE",  and I do not know what the impact would be.

Today I opened up the grocery store at 6am. for senior shopping for the frail or those with health issues..  Yea I'm pushing the card a tad (but I am hypertensive) but no one questioned me.

Soon we shall see the impact.

Stay healthy

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

I am sure we will be making national news here in OHIO shortly.

We are in a massive surge of COVID+ people.

Our local hospitals have had to place numerous patients on ventilators these last 4 days.

Although not as critical as it was this past April, it is really starting to impact our area.

Lately the entire news stories have been all related to COVID and its impact. So all the statistics at all the hospitals is public knowledge.

We are hearing our area of the state maybe going "PURPLE",  and I do not know what the impact would be.

Today I opened up the grocery store at 6am. for senior shopping for the frail or those with health issues..  Yea I'm pushing the card a tad (but I am hypertensive) but no one questioned me.

Soon we shall see the impact.

Stay healthy

What does purple mean?  

I dont think all the election rallies and protests across the country helped cases.  Just horrible what everyone is going thru.  Remain hopeful the vaccine will be available soon and stay Safe!!!

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm in bucks county, pa.  Some school districts have announced back to virtual learning only, others will decide this week.  Lot of cases relating to schools, school bus drivers had a major outbreak and shutdown buses for one district, etc.   Feel bad for the kiddos but they are definitely transmitting the virus.

No word on any other restrictions, everything else remains open. 

I sure hope salons dont get shutdown.  

We are in middle of a four week lockdown in England. No salons, gyms, essential shops only, work from home if possible, essential trips only, no pubs, restaurants or coffee shops open. Take away only. But not as strict as the first lockdown.  In France my cousin says they are only allowed one hour exercise within a kilometer of home and have to print off a timed form before the walk which has to be shown if asked by police to explain why they are out. Fines of 135 euro for non compliance 

• Like 1