Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

What has never made any sense to my extremely logical mind is when they are reporting on a court case by standing in front of an empty courthouse in the dark (late night news) without a soul around.  But I guess it works in a way I don’t understand since I have seen it on many different news channels.   

It’s a thing we all hate too. We call it propping up a blank building. Consultant’s tell us the audience interprets as “staying on the story.” But we all think it’s ridiculous.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you have your BP taken 10 times in a relatively short period of time you will likely get 10 different readings.

Of course but BP taken maybe 3 minutes apart does not have such a dramatic drop like I had.  In my case the first BP was totally incorrect.  I'm glad one BP pill keeps my BP down.

All this mom and dad chat is making me feel blessed more than ever that I had the best parents in the world.  My in-laws were wonderful but then they did live over 5,000 miles away from us.  😉 

I am seriously kidding but not about the wonderful part.  That they were.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

The “inspector” came to see what’s on the grill tonight. It wasn’t even warmed up. 😆

77C69C80-660B-45FB-886B-35C0EE3D29A5.thumb.jpeg.ce018d39e26de575546cdf9deccee8ce.jpeg

She didn’t get to see the end product. 

70501405-93CA-43BC-9FD2-2E86E21ADC7C.thumb.jpeg.e147eecab6af2e6bdaef9e583feab589.jpeg

Just saying, if you ever visit Arkansas and need a place to say, let me know.  Got you covered.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Things are getting back to "normal" today.     I spent most of the morning at my MIL's house meeting with her insurance adjuster and electrician as she is really clueless on any of this kinda stuff.     Thank god she was much nicer today but oh boy yesterday she was screaming at everyone (Firemen included).     

She phoned Eric while he was an eye doc appt. simply saying she needed him to look an outlet that was not working properly in her bedroom.     We went over when done appt. not expecting to find that she had 2 or 3 outlets glowing and a trail of black going up one wall.     Eric immediately shut down the main breaker to the house while I called 911.     As I was getting her fire extinguisher from kitchen a flame shot out of one of the outlets.    

I told her to go outside to wait for firemen.    She argues and argues and refuses to go outside because it is cold.    Eric had to literally scream at her to get her coat on and go to her car.   Otherwise she wasn't moving.  

Fireman came in and knocked down some sheet rock as things were burning behind the wall and other wires were melting.        He told her she would not be able to stay there last night as an electrician would have to come rewire and check everything out before the power would be restored.       

Oh Debbie, how traumatic for you all, awful.

You have the patience of a Saint!

She must be a big worry for you and Eric

My mother was several years into her dementia journey and living alone, when she insisted she wanted to cook my husband and I dinner. As soon as we got to the house we could smell gas and immediately went into panic mode. It turned out she had switched on the gas fire in the dinning room,  a room  she rarely used but hasn't 'lit' it so it was just pumping out gas.

Her cognitive skills weren't able to realise the danger from the strong smell of gas 😳 

I probably spoke sharply to her in panic and she was so upset.  My sweet mother was so proud and her feelings were obviously so hurt. Ten plus years later I'll still remember it very clearly. 

We got the gas fire taken out and replaced with an electric one and the gas outlet capped off, one of very many changes we had to make to allow her to live in her own home as long as possible 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 11

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

It’s a thing we all hate too. We call it propping up a blank building. Consultant’s tell us the audience interprets as “staying on the story.” But we all think it’s ridiculous.

Thise consultants may be under estimating the intellegence of the audience, or maybe not.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

All this mom and dad chat is making me feel blessed more than ever that I had the best parents in the world.  My in-laws were wonderful but then they did live over 5,000 miles away from us.  😉 

I am seriously kidding but not about the wonderful part.  That they were.

Same here. As I said before, my mother loved being a mother and my father's only concerns were his wife and kids. It was really a great house for my brothers and me to grow up in. I'm not sure we always appreciated at the time how fortunate we were.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Oh Debbie, how traumatic for you all, awful.

You have the patience of a Saint!

She must be a big worry for you and Eric

My mother was several years into her dementia journey and living alone, when she insisted she wanted to cook my husband and I dinner. As soon as we got to the house we could smell gas and immediately went into panic mode. It turned out she had switched on the gas fire in the dinning room,  a room  she rarely used but hasn't 'lit' it so it was just pumping out gas.

Her cognitive skills weren't able to realise the danger from the strong smell of gas 😳 

I probably spoke sharply to her in panic and she was so upset.  My sweet mother was so proud and her feelings were obviously so hurt. Ten plus years later I'll still remember it very clearly. 

We got the gas fire taken out and replaced with an electric one and the gas outlet capped off, one of very many changes we had to make to allow her to live in her own home as long as possible 

I think that probably most of us have had occassions when we have intentionally hurt someone and the memory sticks with us forever. Words can be quite cutting. All we can attempt to do is learn from the experience and try to not repeat it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

It is such a sad day for me here in Pennsylvania.  The crowds gathered for that all important day. 

A3CEC80A-201E-4417-AEAC-E8BA618771E2.thumb.jpeg.ec438f9cee8dfc66811f58d0718db9dc.jpeg

The groundhog was pulled out to make his prediction 

FA4E0C56-B4CA-4284-9DD0-C8107C3FCFA1.thumb.jpeg.acbb2f3fbf79ada51b45b72b2153ed5f.jpeg

He stared down the crowd. 

56436DBA-3030-436A-A682-96F84D18B93B.thumb.jpeg.5c8c7ab101c3c79ec14299de2ad09be6.jpeg

And predicted 6 more weeks of winter

13DF3DB7-52C2-4998-B34D-B02F52C2FBEC.thumb.jpeg.1e3761b59ac74b06235052e10c885074.jpeg

I need a drink!

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

55 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think that probably most of us have had occassions when we have intentionally hurt someone and the memory sticks with us forever. Words can be quite cutting. All we can attempt to do is learn from the experience and try to not repeat it.

That was supposed to be unintentionally. 🙄 Too late to edit.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, it is sad.   she has zero maternal instincts.  She was the same with the grandkids.  Didnt really want to hold them as babies, would never change a diaper or feed them, if they had a runny nose she would say keep them away from me.   Definitely didnt ever ask her to babysit nor did she ever volunteer.

I remember you sharing stories about your MIL in the past. IMO MILs and mothers come in two forms; nice and not so nice. Along with that comes maternal instincts or lack there of. Clearly we all know where your MIL is in this discussion.  

Her personality runs parallel to some I have seen on the TV show hoarders, nasty and lashing out at those who are there to help. The crazy thing, heating the entire home is better for the home than using space heaters in select areas.  In this case it would certainly have cheaper after the damage she caused. Maybe she needs a few more visits from the fire chief. 

With your CC user name being Sunshine, I think her’s might/would be Satan. Sorry if I am a bit too blunt on that one. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

… there was a dune buggy… a 4x4 ride, I own a Jeep Rubicon, and they wouldn’t let me book the excursion because we are over 60… 

I did dune bashing in Dubai, great fun. As did my mum who was in her 70s at the time with a dodgy hip. 

• Like 3

The CDC has just announced that new data shows lockdowns and school closures have been unaffecti ve is stemming the pandemic and they no longer recommend it as a tool to combat Covid.  In effect they said it had not been affective at preventing the spread of the disease nor combating deaths from the disease.  Just saying, it's on the news right now!  They did not mention masking, but I would bet my last dime that will be next.  I predict we will not have the Covid  protocol on our ships much longer!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

The “inspector” came to see what’s on the grill tonight. It wasn’t even warmed up. 😆

77C69C80-660B-45FB-886B-35C0EE3D29A5.thumb.jpeg.ce018d39e26de575546cdf9deccee8ce.jpeg

She didn’t get to see the end product. 

70501405-93CA-43BC-9FD2-2E86E21ADC7C.thumb.jpeg.e147eecab6af2e6bdaef9e583feab589.jpeg

I just showed Eric your steak photo.  He's the meat and potato guy of our family and even at 9 am his mouth is watering.  Looks soooooo good🤩

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

The CDC has just announced that new data shows lockdowns and school closures have been unaffecti ve is stemming the pandemic and they no longer recommend it as a tool to combat Covid.  In effect they said it had not been affective at preventing the spread of the disease nor combating deaths from the disease.  Just saying, it's on the news right now!  They did not mention masking, but I would bet my last dime that will be next.  I predict we will not have the Covid  protocol on our ships much longer!

The CDC is just figuring out what many of us have known for some time. Their decrees have touched virtually everyone and the fallout and damage will be felt for a very long time. And that is my opinion.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I just showed Eric your steak photo.  He's the meat and potato guy of our family and even at 9 am his mouth is watering.  Looks soooooo good🤩

Yeah, well I had to look at them at 10:00 last night.😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks for the explanation, it’s good to know that I’m not alone in my logic.  😁

• Like 2