Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 7/7/2022 at 3:22 PM, NHProud said:

So did my friend and her husband .  And , they flew home contagious most probably because they only showed symptoms two days , later .  People are getting more casual dealing with this bug .   

I hope , your granddaughter recovers quickly , Lenny. 

My husband just left for PT and only the 4th at the medical offices . This appointment was optional. His recovery was much easier than Greg’s . 

I played Bunco last night.

One of our regulars walked in dripping wet because we all had to battle through a monsoon to get there. 
She passed me on her way to get a towel. I asked her if she had to cancel her knee replacement surgery. 
She said “No, I had it on the 23rd like I was set up for”.

It was two weeks after, and no walker, no cane, no limp, and she got up and down to change  tables better than the rest of us. We’re all old, and so is she! 

• Like 12

18 hours ago, Jimbo said:

The Beach scenes in "Twilight" where all filmed on Cannon Beach in Oregon.

Haystack Rock

Cannon Beach - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos)

image.jpeg.c1289be4d09613df53adf1f6d47dc27c.jpeg

I don’t know what we enjoyed the most, the Oregon coast or the bridges, especially the Conde McCullough designed bridges. 
we zigzagged back and forth all over the place do as not to miss anything. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, NHProud said:

I don’t know nothin about Twilight however I did look it up on IMDB and if you scroll down to filming locations for any film it will give you that info.  The Phoenix locations were filmed in Santa Clarita , Ca where we lived for six years . SC is ~ 25 north of Los Angeles . Bella’s family home was located on Cataro Dr. ..  The NCIS filming studio is about 3 miles from our former home and some Zooey 101 scenes were filmed in the parking lot of my husband’s workplace.   

All I know about Santa Clarita is that it’s the home of Princess Cruises. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

We cruised from Québec to Ft Lauderdale in Oct 2019 . We hit the peak time for the foliage at its best . 

Halifax

Citadel 

Peggy’s Cove 

Public Garden 

* Fairview Cemetery  Victims of Titanic rest here . 

St John’s

Reversing Falls

Portland , ME

Art Museum 

Cape Elizabeth 

Bar Harbor

tour Cadillac Mt was foggy 

PEI

Green Gables 

Boston :  We’ve traveled here on business ( my husband ) , I was born 50 miles north and this port stop . 

Kennedy Library

Faneuil Hall

Cheers 

Freedom Trail

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

Museum of Fine Arts

We took a private tour to Marblehead and Salem . We looked at the exterior of some very old historical homes and visited Salem .  We toured the cemetery where some alleged witches are buried. 

What impressed me the most was my getting into a very remarkable dining hall at Harvard .  

62A6A107-6801-40A0-9B63-07BB5C04357D.jpeg

9B041025-4821-4C6A-884D-2EE330967A81.jpeg

We were on the same cruise-Adventure OTS Snowbird Migration Oct. 2019.  It’s got to be one of my favorite cruises.  I keep watching for this same itinerary to come out so we can do it again.

CA9CA465-D914-407B-BDDF-9518F3E74E89.thumb.jpeg.01ae1eab57e8f1f03b895c156d1947e2.jpeg

F1648753-7B37-4B72-BD68-BDC0BB427A8C.thumb.jpeg.94350e13671fba9d7bb6b5b1b9c73676.jpeg

When in Portland, do not miss The Holy Donut.  One bite and I’m a believer.  The line gets very long…out the door and around the corner

98E6E097-F759-4C3C-9A4B-B47135EB7789.thumb.jpeg.10485de04517f2b79cb08fd37af3459f.jpeg

4CFEC0C5-7C14-49C1-B96E-74A08B726F63.thumb.jpeg.783694a7d94a5dcb421bc623f53bd87b.jpeg

1F9643FD-21EB-46BB-930D-24D6F140576D.thumb.jpeg.a098c64c5871d6d1c64d3e043ef2ae92.jpeg

• Like 14

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We have our first NE cruise coming up in October, leaving from Boston.  It will be something different for us, and will be a nice getaway after our summer with the grandkids. 

We have stops in Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine, plus St John, NB and Halifax, NS. 

The only thing I have booked so far is Acadia National Park when we are in Bar Harbor.  

I have read about Peggy’s cove in Halifax, and may book an excursion there. 

For anyone who has been to these ports, any recommendations?   I usually have time to research, but it seems my free time is limited this summer. 

When we did Peggy’s Cove, we also drove through Lunenburg.
The really interesting thing to me is that the houses have stoops with rooms built out over them. 
Something I don’t remember ever seeing anywhere else. 
Lunenburg is a World Heritage site. 

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

When I make stuffed peppers I brown the meat with some chopped onion then simmer in tomato sauce (homemade if I have) with some rice for about 20 minutes.     Then I stuff the peppers and fill up the rest of the pan with the meat sauce and sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top.   

Did you stuff your peppers with raw or cooked meat?

The meat is raw, stuff the pepper, little bit of oil in the pan. Cook at a pretty high heat, continue turning them all different ways. Probably a good 25-35 minutes. The peppers will get brownish markings on them, all sides.

Then add one 28 oz  Crushed Tomatoes and one can of Tomatoe Paste and about another 30 oz of water, mix up sauce good. Pour into pan and continue to just cook to a low simmer for another 35 to 45 minutes ,  turning peppers and stirring and spooning sauce over peppers every 10 minutes.

We just put grated cheese on the peppers and sauce over white rice.

27 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I don’t know what we enjoyed the most, the Oregon coast or the bridges, especially the Conde McCullough designed bridges. 
we zigzagged back and forth all over the place do as not to miss anything. 

Yes, All the bridges are beautiful. You can travel back and forth from Oregon and State of Washington all day if you want. Lots of bridges over the Columbia River........ Lot's of Water Falls too, you don't want to miss those either. Just amazing, who needs to cruise when all this is right in your back yard.

My wife has been wanting to go back to Portland, Oregon ever since we got back from there. So much to see and do.

This is the falls that was seen in the back ground during the baseball game in "Twilight"   We went to the falls and tried to get to the baseball field but the baseball field area was fenced in, we tried climbing the fence but were chased off the property by some college students. Seems the land is now own by the University Of Oregon.

After they chased it off they said sometimes they do tours out there but you have to reserve the tour well in advance.

Some day we will get to that baseball field, I promised my wife we will get there !

Multonomah Falls

columbia river gorge picture of multnomah falls at base

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Future prevention:  is find a pool with a salt generator that produces chlorine gases to keep the pool clean. Much safer, also doesn't bleach out your hair or swim suits and doesn't burn your eyes.

I remember when our swim team went to practice in their new Speedos. 
Navy with white flowers. They came home in  white suits because somebody overchlorinated the pool. 
My boys were blondes, so they always had greenish hair. 
Nobody ever had rashes, though. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We’ve visited Portland a few times by car.  It’s a great little town for a walkabout, lots of cute shops, bars & seafood restaurants,  I believe you can do whale watch trips from there.  You can also do a tour of the Shipyard Brewery (or just visit).  There’s the Maine College of Art & Design downtown too. I don’t know if they have anything open to the public.  

In Portland you can also rent a car and go to LL Bean in Falmouth. It isn’t far, best outlet town. Lobster Rolls on Harraseeket Wharf and still time to go back and walk around Portland. 
Capr Elizabeth Light is in Portland, too. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

In Portland you can also rent a car and go to LL Bean in Falmouth. It isn’t far, best outlet town. Lobster Rolls on Harraseeket Wharf and still time to go back and walk around Portland. 

Don't forget Voodoo Donuts in Portland either.

https://www.voodoodoughnut.com/location-new/

https://www.voodoodoughnut.com/doughnuts/

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Freeport. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We've been to all these ports + PEI + Quebec. We don't do ship excursions, only in rare occasions.

Acadia National Park (Bar Harbor) -- We wanted to see Cadillac Mountain and Jordan lake. We couldn't find one tour to both. Took the free "Island Explorer" bus for Jordan lake, and a thunder hole. The bus has frequent stops, and you can get on and off. Then, in the afternoon, we booked with "Ollie's trolley" a tour just for Cadillac Mountain. Between the 2 tours, we had a nice lobster roll at West Cafe.

Portland - we went to the museum and just strolled around.

Halifax -- we wanted very much to see Peggy Cove, but, at the same time understood that if it will rain, the place is slippery.... so we decided to book on arrival. Luckily, it was a nice day. Just at the pier there is a taxi station, with rates per hour (50$ or 50 CAD, in 2017). We took a taxi for 3 hours, which got us to Peggy Cove, we spent an hour taking pics and just wandering about, and then back at Halifax, our friends opted for the Fortress, and we -- for the botanical garden.

I think that at St. John we just went to see the local market. We tend to go to local markets everywhere.

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We’ve visited Portland a few times by car.  It’s a great little town for a walkabout, lots of cute shops, bars & seafood restaurants,  I believe you can do whale watch trips from there.  You can also do a tour of the Shipyard Brewery (or just visit).  There’s the Maine College of Art & Design downtown too. I don’t know if they have anything open to the public.  

2 hours ago, NHProud said:

We cruised from Québec to Ft Lauderdale in Oct 2019 . We hit the peak time for the foliage at its best . 

Halifax

Citadel 

Peggy’s Cove 

Public Garden 

* Fairview Cemetery  Victims of Titanic rest here . 

St John’s

Reversing Falls

Portland , ME

Art Museum 

Cape Elizabeth 

Bar Harbor

tour Cadillac Mt was foggy 

PEI

Green Gables 

Boston :  We’ve traveled here on business ( my husband ) , I was born 50 miles north and this port stop . 

Kennedy Library

Faneuil Hall

Cheers 

Freedom Trail

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

Museum of Fine Arts

We took a private tour to Marblehead and Salem . We looked at the exterior of some very old historical homes and visited Salem .  We toured the cemetery where some alleged witches are buried. 

What impressed me the most was my getting into a very remarkable dining hall at Harvard .  

62A6A107-6801-40A0-9B63-07BB5C04357D.jpeg

9B041025-4821-4C6A-884D-2EE330967A81.jpeg

Thank you all for the information.  I downloaded some port guides to read through (Tom’s Port Guides).  Since we love to walk, we may be walking about the port areas to anything within 3-5 miles, depending on our time in port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

We were on the same cruise-Adventure OTS Snowbird Migration Oct. 2019.  It’s got to be one of my favorite cruises.  I keep watching for this same itinerary to come out so we can do it again.

CA9CA465-D914-407B-BDDF-9518F3E74E89.thumb.jpeg.01ae1eab57e8f1f03b895c156d1947e2.jpeg

F1648753-7B37-4B72-BD68-BDC0BB427A8C.thumb.jpeg.94350e13671fba9d7bb6b5b1b9c73676.jpeg

When in Portland, do not miss The Holy Donut.  One bite and I’m a believer.  The line gets very long…out the door and around the corner

98E6E097-F759-4C3C-9A4B-B47135EB7789.thumb.jpeg.10485de04517f2b79cb08fd37af3459f.jpeg

4CFEC0C5-7C14-49C1-B96E-74A08B726F63.thumb.jpeg.783694a7d94a5dcb421bc623f53bd87b.jpeg

1F9643FD-21EB-46BB-930D-24D6F140576D.thumb.jpeg.a098c64c5871d6d1c64d3e043ef2ae92.jpeg

The lighthouse is beautiful. Do you know if it is open for people to climb? Is that Portland Head light?

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks you for all that great info. I love climbing them. I do think one day a year is pretty lame. 

We did a road trip to Portland last year and visited a bunch of lighthouses.  I had tried to see if any were going to be open and found they weren't.  I do agree one day is not enough, but it is probably a staffing thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I played Bunco last night.

One of our regulars walked in dripping wet because we all had to battle through a monsoon to get there. 
She passed me on her way to get a towel. I asked her if she had to cancel her knee replacement surgery. 
She said “No, I had it on the 23rd like I was set up for”.

It was two weeks after, and no walker, no cane, no limp, and she got up and down to change  tables better than the rest of us. We’re all old, and so is she! 

That is just wonderful.   I hope , your Bunco friend doesn’t overdo .   

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We have our first NE cruise coming up in October, leaving from Boston.  It will be something different for us, and will be a nice getaway after our summer with the grandkids. 

We have stops in Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine, plus St John, NB and Halifax, NS. 

The only thing I have booked so far is Acadia National Park when we are in Bar Harbor.  

I have read about Peggy’s cove in Halifax, and may book an excursion there. 

For anyone who has been to these ports, any recommendations?   I usually have time to research, but it seems my free time is limited this summer. 

What ship will you be sailing on out of Boston, Mark?  It sounds like the same itinerary Jim and I have on our Adventure of the Seas out of Cape Liberty on Sept. 29th.

In Portland, Maine, we booked a Vintage Fire Truck Tour..we thought it would be fun, since Jim is retired FDNY.😊 

In Bar Harbor, we booked a ship tour..called "Step Back in Time"

For both Halifax and St. John NB, we booked the "Big Pink Bus Tour" Hop on Hop off.

We were planning on meeting our dear friends in Boston, but my girlfriend is having her knee replacement done in the beginning of September.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

The meat is raw, stuff the pepper, little bit of oil in the pan. Cook at a pretty high heat, continue turning them all different ways. Probably a good 25-35 minutes. The peppers will get brownish markings on them, all sides.

Then add one 28 oz  Crushed Tomatoes and one can of Tomatoe Paste and about another 30 oz of water, mix up sauce good. Pour into pan and continue to just cook to a low simmer for another 35 to 45 minutes ,  turning peppers and stirring and spooning sauce over peppers every 10 minutes.

We just put grated cheese on the peppers and sauce over white rice.

Yes, All the bridges are beautiful. You can travel back and forth from Oregon and State of Washington all day if you want. Lots of bridges over the Columbia River........ Lot's of Water Falls too, you don't want to miss those either. Just amazing, who needs to cruise when all this is right in your back yard.

My wife has been wanting to go back to Portland, Oregon ever since we got back from there. So much to see and do.

This is the falls that was seen in the back ground during the baseball game in "Twilight"   We went to the falls and tried to get to the baseball field but the baseball field area was fenced in, we tried climbing the fence but were chased off the property by some college students. Seems the land is now own by the University Of Oregon.

After they chased it off they said sometimes they do tours out there but you have to reserve the tour well in advance.

Some day we will get to that baseball field, I promised my wife we will get there !

Multonomah Falls

columbia river gorge picture of multnomah falls at base

Your stuffed peppers sound delicious.

That is funny thar a college kids chased you off from climbing fence🤣

That is a gorgeous waterfall

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The lighthouse is beautiful. Do you know if it is open for people to climb? Is that Portland Head light?

No, it was not open for us to climb.  The tower is only open in September on Open Lighthouse Day, from what I read.  We did however visit the museum that is next to it.  It is the former keeper’s house.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NHProud said:

That is just wonderful.   I hope , your Bunco friend doesn’t overdo .   

She walked around like she had never had a knee problem. 
in 1999 when I had mine done I was in a rehab hospital for 10 days and was able to go home when I could walk with a walker. I was thrilled when I graduated to a cane!