Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

41 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Starlink seems to be up and running on Allure today,  So far, no faster than O3b.

Thanks for posting.   A live review from last week said an IT guy told her it would be up in 2 weeks.  Let's hope it improves. 

We will be boarding Saturday.   Hope we can meet sometime.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Why would they bother to upgrade for no improvement?

Is Royal limiting the speed on purpose?

Almost all decision at RCI is about $ (Starlink is supposedly much cheaper than O3B or legacy sat internet). BTW, there is improvement even if the down/up speed stays the same due to much lower latency - you should notice it.

Sat internet is a very limited resource, of course it is limited on purpose.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Blue tooth is typically good for about 30 ft. if there are no obstructions... like walls.

Color me dumb, but since one is listening to the phone through the hearing aids, at 30 feet how does the person on the other end hear them???

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I've heard that even on ships that have it installed and up and running that Royal is throttling back data on the users. Not sure why or when they will open up the flow (so to speak) but I wish they would increase the speeds. Starlink site says users can expect 50-200 mbps.

They will open up the flow.......they are probably just figuring out how to make us pay more for the "unthrottled" (aka Ultra Upgraded Super Star Voom) version.  🙄

While on this subject, it is my personal experience that the internet on Royal ships is far faster and better than Celebrity.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We will be boarding Saturday

I think I missed it or forgot, which ship and which itinerary are you going on? Liberty starts on Sunday.

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Other than for testing, you will never get that (nor should you expect) on a ship with 8K users like O or I class.

Agreed. That figure from the website was general speaking and I know no way we can expect that. Give me at least 20-25mbps and I would be happy.

3 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

They will open up the flow.......they are probably just figuring out how to make us pay more for the "unthrottled" (aka Ultra Upgraded Super Star Voom) version.  🙄

While on this subject, it is my personal experience that the internet on Royal ships far faster and better than Celebrity.

Yes there is no way this will be provided for free. It will be an up charge.

16 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I watched Survivor… I have seen a few ads for the New Love Boat… I was out before the first episode. 

On an honesty note.  I didn’t like the original Love Boat.  I did like Fantasy Island and a little bit Dallas (contemporaries) 

jc

I was looking forward to Cody??? Coming back to his tribe with fishing gear plus a bunch of food and they skipped right over the reaction. Next scene was coming to the challenge. 
or I dozed off and didn’t know it!

• Like 2

Just turning Starlink on and having the system behave like nothing is different is a win in my book. It is still on is a good sign.  Interesting to see what happens next. I imagine increasing speed is necessary to show that this new way is much better.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes there is no way this will be provided for free. It will be an up charge.

I agree they don't make improvements on something without an upcharge for it. Gives them a valid reason to charge you more and make MORE MONEY.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

think I missed it or forgot, which ship and which itinerary are you going on? Liberty starts on Sunday.

We will  be boarding the Allure on Saturday for an 8 day cruise stopping at Labadee,  Aruba and Curacao. 

I thought you were leaving this morning when I saw your luggage pic yesterday and I thought you set sail on Saturday too.  Am I remembering correctly that you will stop at Puerto Rico?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Color me dumb, but since one is listening to the phone through the hearing aids, at 30 feet how does the person on the other end hear them???

I believe some blue tooth capable devices also have a microphone built in.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Hearing aids have microphones in them.  That is part of how they work.

Heck, even my wife’s Apple Watch can be used to answer calls and talk to people, whenever she is not near her phone.  Reminds me of Dick Tracy when she has her wrist up to her mouth, and she is taking to the watch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Until lately,  android phones needed an extra device to connect the phone to Widex hearing aids.  The device I had years ago was worn around the neck and had a built in mic.  You could walk a pretty good distance from your phone and still communicate.  I got tired of it after awhile and stopped using it.  My last pair I got now  connects to the phone without an extra device.   On occasion I forget I need to carry the phone with me while talking.   😆 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Hearing aids have microphones in them.  That is part of how they work.

Heck, even my wife’s Apple Watch can be used to answer calls and talk to people, whenever she is not near her phone.  Reminds me of Dick Tracy when she has her wrist up to her mouth, and she is taking to the watch.

I just tried walking away from the phone while talking on it.  I could hear her talking through my hearing aids but she could not hear me talking.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 1:55 PM, LucasLikesToCruise said:

It’s taken a few weeks for me to be able to adjust my way of thinking.  The priorities of care once in hospice is different than before.  Certain things with her various  medical conditions used to concern me a lot more before than they do now.  A lot of it is allowing nature to take its course with all the care, comfort and dignity as possible.  Sometimes it can be overwhelming and other times it feels a bit of a relief for me.

It is a different mind set. My mom is in a memory care unit at the Veterans Home. She has been unable to care for herself for a few years now and is non-verbal. She spends most of her time sleeping. Hospice reduces the amount of time my mom needs from the staff so they are not so stressed. They are angels of mercy.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I just tried walking away from the phone while talking on it.  I could hear her talking through my hearing aids but she could not hear me talking.

It must depend on the capability of the hearing aids, the compatibility of the phone, and the OS. 
2-way audio must be turned on for it to work. 

9CC3F723-73BB-48E1-ADE2-93C7390623FB.thumb.jpeg.43a63c7c65e0cadca6e69164f1fd3e4e.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

It is a different mind set. My mom is in a memory care unit at the Veterans Home. She has been unable to care for herself for a few years now and is non-verbal. She spends most of her time sleeping. Hospice reduces the amount of time my mom needs from the staff so they are not so stressed. They are angels of mercy.

I can’t think of anything negative to say about the experience yet.  I doubt I will when all is said and done.

• Like 7