Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

52 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Graham - You just reminded me of this web site that got sent to me:

Facts About Geography That Will Change How You See The World (buzzfeed.com)

Mostly US focused but some interesting facts involving other countries as well.

I read similar articles as well.  I'm still surprised at #5 - Reno, NV is further west than Los Angles. I understand why, it still just surprises me.

And number 27 - seeing the actual size of the countries in the far north. Again, I understand why they appear so much larger on a flat map as their size gets distorted and out of proportion large.

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

BUT, the state pays for total destruction, damage and financial loss (for private business) in the event of hostilities, war, etc.

My sister in law sold her apartment on Abba Hillel Street in Ramat Gan, Israel before the scud war.  That street had a direct hit and the building where she and her family lived previously was totally destroyed.  When we visited a few months after the scud war, I told her how awful it could have been if they had still lived there.  She said if she still lived there, she would have gotten a new apartment. She is the most optimistic and resilient woman I know.  Dani, I hope you get to meet her one day.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

You can take a picture of the bar code, and upload to a site that reads bar codes like this

https://online-barcode-reader.inliteresearch.com/

the last digits returned should be the cabin number. 

Thanks! 11684 I can't really find anything that disappoints me with the location. Cabins above and below, not a connecting cabin, not obstructed view. I think I'm good!

• Like 19

45 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I read similar articles as well.  I'm still surprised at #5 - Reno, NV is further west than Los Angles. I understand why, it still just surprises me.

And number 27 - seeing the actual size of the countries in the far north. Again, I understand why they appear so much larger on a flat map as their size gets distorted and out of proportion large.

I have always found Geography to be fascinating.When I was a kid everyone that I knew had an encyclopedia and a globe. That was our internet.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Arzeena said:

OB you will be fine. Don't get annoyed. You get the 11 am now and then check back in a few days if anything earlier has opened up. Good luck!

Honestly, for Fort Lauderdale we never pick anything before 2 pm, We have found that there are no lines anywhere around that time. This is just a personal preference so we do not have to wait in lines.

I agree, we enjoyed our 1 pm check-in last week.    We arrived right around 1 pm and no line of cars, easy in and right to the cabin is the best IMO.    Dropped off our backpacks and then right to the muster station then lunch at the Cafe 270 and get our first cocktail.   

• Like 4

4 hours ago, molly361 said:

Wow  Big shocker to just read that the former DJ for Ellen Degeneres (Twitch) committed suicide.  40 years old.  2 small kids.  Very sad.   

Very sad to hear that he was not able to get the help he needed to prevent him from committing suicide.    I feel horrible for the 2 young children.    They will always wonder if they did something wrong that upset Daddy.    

• Like 7

We took our daughter shopping, and to lunch in Ohio today.  I can’t believe how much some restaurants have raised their prices.  Where we went today, we used to get a nice lunch for 3 for around $45.   Now that same lunch is north of $70. 

My lunch ……chicken sandwich and tortilla soup. 

08A06282-796E-4B69-994D-B74FC0E8AEB7.thumb.jpeg.a430f87abe5d997b19bfa1600c6df9ba.jpeg

The ladies had salads.  The one bright spot was this. 

2EDBACCF-F799-4835-B3B3-335F66F72A10.thumb.jpeg.6a2d0a776ffa3f00f28e526e0ccf8ea1.jpeg

Here in western PA, gas is $1.30 a gallon more.  I guess what I saved on a fill up helped pay for the increase in lunch price. 

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

First available checkin time is 11AM. That is annoying.🤨

We’re cruising with friends on NCL Jan 29th out of Miami.  I believe NCL doesn’t start check-in until 21 days prior.  I’d be okay with a later time to avoid crowds but our friends who are first time cruisers want to board as early as possible.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I never did, either!  I don't even think there was such a thing as the Elf on the Shelf.  I think🤔 it started out as a story book.  We found out about it when my grandchildren were little.  Oh, the mischief these elves have gotten in to!  Anyway, our granddaughter Ava has twin cousins who did not have their own elf, so Ava got felt and sat down and made an elf for her cousins.  She did a great job, too!  She's always been so sweet and humble, and giving.💕

What a sweet thing to do. 
My kids never had the Elf in the Shelf either and I’m not sad about it 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We’re cruising with friends on NCL Jan 29th out of Miami.  I believe NCL doesn’t start check-in until 21 days prior.  I’d be okay with a later time to avoid crowds but our friends who are first time cruisers want to board as early as possible.  

I can never get past wanting to be on the ship as early as possible.😊

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I agree. Between that and grocery prices, it's unbelievable.

We need a machine with a lighted button that says "Press Here for a free $100 bill". And "Press harder for a few more"😁

Grocery price hikes unbelievable!🤬
I need to build a shed with some chickens and a cow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The earlier you get to those lounge charis the quicker we get to see the famous toes and drink of the day.😉 And I bet it will be warm enough for no socks or shoes!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

The earlier you get to those lounge charis the quicker we get to see the famous toes and drink of the day.😉 And I bet it will be warm enough for no socks or shoes!

I can't wait to be back into sandals. Winter was a bit slow getting here but it has felt fairly brutal since it's arrival.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

We don't have anything booked and I am still hesitating because of protocols since we would want to do a Panama Canal cruise and I think there are still protocols in place. 

Now I hear about the scramble to get a check in time (in the past we would just show up when we were ready), booking restaurants and shows (we liked my time dining and showing up when we were hungry), we liked to see a show if we were in the mood but not have to have reservations.  We have never liked the last morning having to get off the ship early.  So now I just really don't know if cruising is for us anymore. 

I like to plan but wow not this much.  Sea days are somewhat easier but port days I wouldn't know how tired I would be in the evening, when I would want to eat, or if I would want to see a show.  I don't like Southwest airlines because of the having to get online to get a good boarding time.  I don't want to have to do it for a cruise.  

Now I am sad because I really thought in time we would cruise again but now I am not so sure.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can't wait to be back into sandals. Winter was a bit slow getting here but it has felt fairly brutal since it's arrival.

I agree...and, we haven't even had snow here yet.  I sure hate Winter!!  I hate being cold!

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Keksie said:

We don't have anything booked and I am still hesitating because of protocols since we would want to do a Panama Canal cruise and I think there are still protocols in place. 

Now I hear about the scramble to get a check in time (in the past we would just show up when we were ready), booking restaurants and shows (we liked my time dining and showing up when we were hungry), we liked to see a show if we were in the mood but not have to have reservations.  We have never liked the last morning having to get off the ship early.  So now I just really don't know if cruising is for us anymore. 

I like to plan but wow not this much.  Sea days are somewhat easier but port days I wouldn't know how tired I would be in the evening, when I would want to eat, or if I would want to see a show.  I don't like Southwest airlines because of the having to get online to get a good boarding time.  I don't want to have to do it for a cruise.  

Now I am sad because I really thought in time we would cruise again but now I am not so sure.

I understand what you are saying. I have issues with having to plan as opposed to spontaneity. But then when I'm on deck watching a sunrise or sitting on my balcony at night looking out over the ocean and sipping a drink I'm reminded of why I love cruising.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I do not know of any testing requirements on Royal's website for a panama canal cruise, the only one I see that may apply is if you have a port stop in Colombia.

Not every ship requires for you to book shows in advance.    We were on Anthem last week and did not have to pre-book anything.....just go with the flow.     

Really it is no big deal to select a check in time.    No need to scramble to do online check in unless you absolutely must be one of the early boards.    Even then very few ports are adhering to check in times at this time.    Just pick your preferred time when you want to arrive at the ship.   If you are a little early or a little later than your selected time, no biggy.    

No requirement to wear a mask as a passenger or a crew member.     Of course, we saw some people wearing them but very few, it was their preference.

I do not know anyone that likes that dis-embarkment day.    We try to make as relaxing as possible and get up around 6 / 6:30 am - go to breakfast at either MDR or WJ then go back to our cabin and grab our personal belongings and either leave the ship or wait until our luggage tags our called (which again you can pick your preferred time to leave the ship but all must be off by 9 or 930 am at latest).   

Don't give up, I hope you board the sailing you want to do sometime in the near future.    It is still a very relaxing, enjoyable adventure.😍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1