Jump to content

NO CRUISES TILL NEXT YEAR


Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Taking new bookings does not involve admin rights.

And it involves receiving money - always far easier and more acceptable than paying it out. Especially if you've been told by Carnival not to pay out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I was at work so I pressed submit before I had finished and now I don’t remember what I was actually saying

 

anyhow. For me in my work which is not p&o I do sales and that is easy click next then if it fails it goes to someone who has admin rights within the system but this I mean that they have more clout basically than me. 
 

for me to cancel and credit the cancel is a click next process but the refund as they system is not generally designed to do it will go to a manager then have to go to billing who will process it on the system and it takes 5-10wprking days to go into an account. 
 

I think p&o will have tons of these order. Most advisors will not have the admin rights to do so and if they lift that then they are probably not trained on refunds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I think p&o will have tons of these order. Most advisors will not have the admin rights to do so and if they lift that then they are probably not trained on refunds. 

It must be the same for all of the cruise lines but some are quoting half the 60 days P&O are and some travel/ hotels groups have already refunded.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It must be the same for all of the cruise lines but some are quoting half the 60 days P&O are and some travel/ hotels groups have already refunded.

 

 

BA refunded.

Trainline refunded.

P&O refunded pre booked flight seat direct.

Holiday extras voucher for a non refundable hotel.

TA told us 60-90 days from P&O confirming a cruise refund due.

Edited by grapau27
Link to post
Share on other sites
It must be the same for all of the cruise lines but some are quoting half the 60 days P&O are and some travel/ hotels groups have already refunded.
 
 

Sorry to jump in but that is not true the majority of cruise lines are saying refunds are now between 60 and 90 days. There is a Utube video on the subject from a Canadian TA. Most of the conditions which are no in place are all the same. A FCC or money back I 6 days one line is saying no money back but if you don’t use the FCC you get your money back at the end of the booking period eg end of 2021.




Sent from my iPad using Forums
Link to post
Share on other sites

P and O:                  60 / 90 days for refunds

Princess Cruises: 90 days for refunds. 

NCL:                       90 days

TUI:                         Wants to just give vouchers, and may be cancelling their flights till                                        August.

 

We are on P and O on 6th November wonder what we will be offered by then.

Expecting a refund for our June Cruise, hopefully

 

Not just the Cruise industry doing this, we also have a weeks holiday with Balkan Holidays for Bulgaria in June, they want to give us vouchers, change to next year or loose our deposit. 

Hope everyone is safe and well.

Bob

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, daiB said:


Sorry to jump in but that is not true the majority of cruise lines are saying refunds are now between 60 and 90 days. There is a Utube video on the subject from a Canadian TA. Most of the conditions which are no in place are all the same. A FCC or money back I 6 days one line is saying no money back but if you don’t use the FCC you get your money back at the end of the booking period eg end of 2021.




Sent from my iPad using Forums

Firstly as we discussed a few days ago just because they are doing it does not make it right, or indeed in line with the with current legislation which is still in place (for now) in spite of ABTAs best efforts to get it changed.

 

Secondly I did not say them all. Celebrity have quoted 30 days for one and some other travel providers are much quicker even than that.


P&O started with 45 days and moved it up to 60.  I take it other lines have now pushed up their timescales as well? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bobupandown said:

P and O:                  60 / 90 days for refunds

Princess Cruises: 90 days for refunds. 

NCL:                       90 days

TUI:                         Wants to just give vouchers, and may be cancelling their flights till                                        August.

 

We are on P and O on 6th November wonder what we will be offered by then.

Expecting a refund for our June Cruise, hopefully

 

Not just the Cruise industry doing this, we also have a weeks holiday with Balkan Holidays for Bulgaria in June, they want to give us vouchers, change to next year or loose our deposit. 

Hope everyone is safe and well.

Bob

You don’t need to accept vouchers. ABTA are trying to get that pushed through but have not been successful as yet so as at today you are fully entitled to a cash refund.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

You don’t need to accept vouchers. ABTA are trying to get that pushed through but have not been successful as yet so as at today you are fully entitled to a cash refund.

Hi Eglesbrech

Thank you for letting me know.

Bob

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Firstly as we discussed a few days ago just because they are doing it does not make it right, or indeed in line with the with current legislation which is still in place (for now) in spite of ABTAs best efforts to get it changed.

 

Secondly I did not say them all. Celebrity have quoted 30 days for one and some other travel providers are much quicker even than that.


P&O started with 45 days and moved it up to 60.  I take it other lines have now pushed up their timescales as well? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Firstly as we discussed a few days ago just because they are doing it does not make it right, or indeed in line with the with current legislation which is still in place (for now) in spite of ABTAs best efforts to get it changed.

 

Secondly I did not say them all. Celebrity have quoted 30 days for one and some other travel providers are much quicker even than that.


P&O started with 45 days and moved it up to 60.  I take it other lines have now pushed up their timescales as well? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don’t think ver said it was right that P&O were doing as all other cruise line. But you consistently put P&O down for their actions. Hardly fair.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daiB said:

 

I don’t think ver said it was right that P&O were doing as all other cruise line. But you consistently put P&O down for their actions. Hardly fair.

 

I’m booked with P&O and with Celebrity. One is quoting 30 days for a refund and the other 60. So what’s not fair to comment on the difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bobupandown said:

Hi Eglesbrech

Thank you for letting me know.

Bob

I’m not saying it will be easy to get the refund from some organisations but it is worth at least trying. Have a look at Which.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m booked with P&O and with Celebrity. One is quoting 30 days for a refund and the other 60. So what’s not fair to comment on the difference.

From that I would only assume that RCIs liquidity situation is much better than Carnival's, and that they are making a marketing decision to extract maximum benefit from this, and  are hoping it will be good PR and lead to better sales in future.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

cascade to allow authorisations / delegated authorities. It’s standard contingency planning.

It's a long time since I heard the phrase "cascade" especially with regard to refunds. When I first started working in the 70s, I reported to an area manager. Above him (always a male in those days),  there were regional  managers,  divisional managers,  and finally a national manager. Truly cascade management. 

In my last job, I worked for a company with a healthy turnover (£800m), my purchasing/spending authority was £5m - but all requests for refunds as small as £5k had to be authorized by me. No cascade management  - just  me and the CEO . However, in normal times, I probably only had one such request  a month.

Without being an apologist for P&O,  they are now finding themselves  battling against thousands of requests, that their system is not designed to accommodate.  I know that other companies are handling the situation better, but everything depends on the system architecture used by each company.

Vampiress is working at the coal face,  and probably has more understanding than many of the keyboard warriors on here.

So, I, for one,  am cutting P&O a little slack - although their IT department is a shambles! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It's a long time since I heard the phrase "cascade" especially with regard to refunds. When I first started working in the 70s, I reported to an area manager. Above him (always a male in those days),  there were regional  managers,  divisional managers,  and finally a national manager. Truly cascade management. 

In my last job, I worked for a company with a healthy turnover (£800m), my purchasing/spending authority was £5m - but all requests for refunds as small as £5k had to be authorized by me. No cascade management  - just  me and the CEO . However, in normal times, I probably only had one such request  a month.

Without being an apologist for P&O,  they are now finding themselves  battling against thousands of requests, that their system is not designed to accommodate.  I know that other companies are handling the situation better, but everything depends on the system architecture used by each company.

Vampiress is working at the coal face,  and probably has more understanding than many of the keyboard warriors on here.

So, I, for one,  am cutting P&O a little slack - although their IT department is a shambles! 

 

I was not referring to cascade management so the history lesson was unnecessary.

 

I do agree about the IT department so common ground there😀

 


 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, Elsie69 said:

It was on Southern news tonight, mainly about Saga and that they may cancel their order for a new ship

too.

 

That new ship is more than half built though so hard to cancel mid build.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

and a cascade to allow authorisations / delegated authorities. It’s standard contingency planning.

"I was not referring to cascade management so the history lesson was unnecessary."

In that case,  what does cascade mean in your post?

Edited by wowzz
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

 

That new ship is more than half built though so hard to cancel mid build.

Exactly,  especially as we have a cruise, supposedly, on her next March.  I wonder if Saga will try and sell the ship on to one of the boutique lines, such as Silversea,  probably at a knock down price, so as to keep the rest of their business   viable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

"I was not referring to cascade management so the history lesson was unnecessary."

In that case,  what does cascade mean in your post?

A one touch that sets off a chain of actions, something that can override a normal protracted process that goes through several steps.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

A one touch that sets off a chain of actions, something that can override a normal protracted process that goes through several steps.

 

Understood - I had a different interpretation of cascade. 

I suppose that what we are both saying, is that some businesses are better equipped to handle unexpected events than others.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Understood - I had a different interpretation of cascade. 

I suppose that what we are both saying, is that some businesses are better equipped to handle unexpected events than others.

 

Agreed, exactly that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
From that I would only assume that RCIs liquidity situation is much better than Carnival's, and that they are making a marketing decision to extract maximum benefit from this, and  are hoping it will be good PR and lead to better sales in future.  

Only RCI has the same up to 60 day wait on refunds as well. According to the UTube source. The information came from the US.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Link to post
Share on other sites

This has very little to do with inability to cope with the demand for refunds - but everything to do with the lack of cash to pay up.  Carnival are struggling with cashflow, and trying to preserve what they have.  ABTA are pushing for the 14 day legal requirement for refunds to be extended to 4 months, but as things stand it's still 14 days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't think anyone over 70 or with medical conditions should consider cruising or indeed travelling anywhere before there is a vaccine against this virus.  I am not even sure when they will know if it's safe to reopen the country for work etc.  It only takes a few with the virus to pass it on again and there will be another lockdown or loads more deaths.

When. I spoke with my GP about getting a letter in case we had to cancel our May cruise, he advised not to go on a cruise until  vaccine has been developed. The letter was not needed as P&O have cancelled the cruise and we are waiting on refund. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...