Jump to content

Post-Corona What Changes Would You Like To See With Cruises?


WonderMan3
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

One more...

 

9) All the major ports to have an "emergency pier" that has facilities designed to handle outbreak situations like this for coordinating a medical disembarkation that ships could be taken to in a crisis.

Well thought out but the problem might be that Covid19 carriers can be totally asymptomatic on boarding.  Then, after a few days out the virus starts to spread.  So the only solution is a test that detects any latent virus and that can produce test results in minutes. If you test the entire crew and passengers- you are good to go.  What happens at the next port?  I am still thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of good thoughts and questions.. a forward looking thread.

 

However, the posibility of being trapped on a ship with no  available or willing port in sight...is a no go for us.   The Zandam debacle will take a long time to overcome.

For others...it won't matter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LDEE said:

Well thought out but the problem might be that Covid19 carriers can be totally asymptomatic on boarding.  Then, after a few days out the virus starts to spread.  So the only solution is a test that detects any latent virus and that can produce test results in minutes. If you test the entire crew and passengers- you are good to go.  What happens at the next port?  I am still thinking.

 

We will eventually have minutes tests for this virus. Not sure there will be cruising though as long as this is virus is active and if a new virus comes along there won't be minutes tests for it right away. My suggestions are more to stop the spread of the typical viruses (noro, colds, flu) as opposed to something unexpected like CoVid. But if you have procedures like this already in place it could definitely help limiting spread for any new unexpected virus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds initially onerous, but whether we like it or not we've adjusted to the additional difficulties of air travel. I am sure most of us remember the pre-September 11 travel years when you could almost stroll up to the gate. Many changes will be coming and no cruise line will want to risk the scenarios we've seen in the last month again.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lilactime said:

It sounds initially onerous, but whether we like it or not we've adjusted to the additional difficulties of air travel. I am sure most of us remember the pre-September 11 travel years when you could almost stroll up to the gate. Many changes will be coming and no cruise line will want to risk the scenarios we've seen in the last month again.  

 

Yes, great analogy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

In short, in my opinion, it is unfair to judge the cruise industry in a negative light, while the Covid 19 issue is a universal issue. Most involved entities were well intended and did their best to protect. Unfortunately, the 100% virus proof vest has not yet been invented.

We just think that in light of their experience with viral outbreaks in the past, it wouldn't hurt to implement (permanently) even some of the protocols they already employ temporarily during viral events. Is that too much to ask?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

 

It really wouldn't slow anything down. The thermal scan machines are used at some airports and you just walk past/through like a metal detector. Most people would pass with no issue. Those who don't would be pulled out of line and dealt with separately. Yes, it would slow things down for you if you were detected to have a fever or cold symptoms, but that's exactly what the process would be designed to catch. And I never suggested throwing anyone off the ship mid-cruise. I said to confine people to their cabins until they recovered, just as they do already for ill passengers. I would be all for reducing passenger numbers, but of course if they do that, prices will have to go up.

I just read some other post talking about the thermal scan machines.  Those sound like something should be definitely be implemented.  I was envisioning something completely different.  i would be fine with quarantine if I was determined to have something communicable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A great and provocative question. After the obvious "please don't decide to sail with a worldwide pandemic underway" -  I think it would be great to see a biased, one-sided cruise contract replaced by one that is equally fair to the cruise company, as well as the passenger. The sellers market has rapidly changed, please start listening to and appreciating your customers RCL, CCL, NCL et al.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When cruising re-starts don't expect ships to be very full, so lots of opportunity for social distancing.   They can do all the thermal scans they want but the non-symptomatic will still slip through.  

 

Once a vaccine emerges and I get my shot I am safe.  Doesn't matter whether others are vaccinated or not.  Have no problem though if they try to require proof of vaccination.  I'm sure civil libertarians will have an issue as they do with requiring kids to be vaccinated in order to attend school. 

 

If you want to force people to wash hands before entering buffet, fine.  Otherwise leave it alone.  Current system has worked for many years.  Some people are selfish pigs, most are not.  Don't want to wait in line for someone to pour my coffee or select my food.  Just think how many servers you would need to properly staff each station on S class.  Noro gets a lot of publicity but is still rare.  Been on almost 50 cruises and never encountered it.  If it happens current precautions work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, babydrum said:

I just read some other post talking about the thermal scan machines.  Those sound like something should be definitely be implemented.  I was envisioning something completely different.  i would be fine with quarantine if I was determined to have something communicable.

 

Can thermal machines distinguish between fever and a bad Caribbean sunburn?

Edited by Baron Barracuda
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

 

Well, as long as it doesn't morph into another strain for which then a vaccine is not a guarantee to protect you kind of like with the flu vaccines. God forbid that happens though because then I don't see how life as we have known it could even continue to function since you would always have to be self-isolating to avoid it.

if it morphs , then... selection of the fitest will rule the day. the w/o a vaccine. there will be no more cruising. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess I’m not as optimistic about the vaccine as everyone else.  I’ve never heard of a SARS vaccine, nor a MERS vaccine, and the common cold is a Corona virus without a vaccine, this past years flu vaccine was only 47% effective.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

 

Once a vaccine emerges and I get my shot I am safe.  Doesn't matter whether others are vaccinated or not. 

You are safer, but no vaccine provides 100% protection.You will still be at higher risk if mixing with others who aren't vaccinated.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm perfectly fine with some of these measures, including the thermal scans. However, I would hope that the additional screening for those flagged would allow for a second or third temperature check. 

 

With my luck, I'd get a darn hot flash right before walking through. 😄

 

 

Regarding no self-serve beverages, how would people feel about water bottle/flask refill stations such as those in many schools and airports? I've been hoping for those for some time, as they might reduce the number of people (including crew) refilling directly from the regular water dispensers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Regarding no self-serve beverages, how would people feel about water bottle/flask refill stations such as those in many schools and airports? I've been hoping for those for some time, as they might reduce the number of people (including crew) refilling directly from the regular water dispensers.

HAL's newer ships have them and I can't understand why cruise lines aren't adding them as an easy retrofit.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will be roughly a year until there is a viable vaccine in sufficient numbers to begin inoculating folks.   Self distancing will be the norm until that time.  I have tried, without success, to figure out how passengers could self distance on a Cruise ship.  Maybe a 1/2 full ship with staggered dining, propositioned lounge and bar chairs, etc.  But, then there are the elevators and narrow hallways.  Pools would be off limits.  Its hard to place a bar or dinner order with 6 ft between you and the server.  How could this work?  What would the “new cruise vibe” be like?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of the recommended precautions sound sensible to me.  But to what extreme do we take it?  If I have a head cold am I to be denied boarding or subject to cabin quarantine for the 7-10 days the average cold lasts?  That’s ridiculous.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally agree with the  menu suggestions from 39 August.
 Eliminate individual menus completely. 
Even before the virus, I cringed every time I had to handle a menu in any restaurant. The problem can be solved, by posting the menu on digital screens in the DR, or as it has already been done, putting it on the daily apps.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

It will be roughly a year until there is a viable vaccine in sufficient numbers to begin inoculating folks.   Self distancing will be the norm until that time.  I have tried, without success, to figure out how passengers could self distance on a Cruise ship.  Maybe a 1/2 full ship with staggered dining, propositioned lounge and bar chairs, etc.  But, then there are the elevators and narrow hallways.  Pools would be off limits.  Its hard to place a bar or dinner order with 6 ft between you and the server.  How could this work?  What would the “new cruise vibe” be like?

You have made many great points. To return to the high-density model of cruising, we will need a vaccine, which many commentators suggest is at least a year out. Until then, cruising is left to the adventurous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some good suggestions and ideas.  Some are practical to implement immediately, some would be impractical. What port has the space to build dockage dedicated to a potential event?  That pier would be in constant revenue generation use as soon as it is built 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Totally agree with the  menu suggestions from 39 August.
 Eliminate individual menus completely. 
Even before the virus, I cringed every time I had to handle a menu in any restaurant. The problem can be solved, by posting the menu on digital screens in the DR, or as it has already been done, putting it on the daily apps.

Or the problem can be solved by carrying a small hand sanitizer in your purse or pocket and using it after you have handled the menu.  Been doing it for years.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great thread was some excellent ideas.  A few additional suggestions:

 

- the crew is the one constant on the ship - look at their living conditions, see if improvements can be made, ie less crowding, shorter contracts, shorter shifts so staff aren't overworked and overtired which makes them more vulnerable, regular medical checkups.

- look at lengthening turnaround time between cruises. There is not sufficient time between cruises to properly sanitize before the next cruise starts.

 

These and other suggestions may increase the cost of cruising, but I would rather pay more to have a safer cruise, as well as see improved conditions for the crew.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

If stress, anxiety, or formalities are too stringent, cruising or travelling for tourism purposes may become a burden to be avoided.

IMO--- This is the most realistic answer.

Staff to serve food in the buffet , Staff to enforce washing hands or use sanitizer or no entrance to buffet or dining room, and lastly, if you are sick--- cancel your cruise !!!!!

I would also like the see Staff tell, not ask, " slobs " that don't adhere to the above and come " barging in " laughing and sweating to " Get the xxx out ,and clean up before coming  back ".  We all have seen that Staff are too timid for fear of complaint by " slob " to GR. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Some good suggestions and ideas.  Some are practical to implement immediately, some would be impractical. What port has the space to build dockage dedicated to a potential event?  That pier would be in constant revenue generation use as soon as it is built 

 

I would view it as a dock that is used for revenue but has been built with facilities to handle a crisis situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...