Fleet Reduction?

rolloman

With the announcement of the cancellation of some of the upcoming re-purpose of a couple ships it would seem Carnival might be considering reducing their fleet?  I found it curious yesterday the president mentioned he wanted two more hospital ships quickly. He mentioned his desire to build new but also mentioned we could repurpose a couple big ships already in existence. By putting two and two together, one could imagine Carnival selling a couple of their ships to the government. Just a thought....

5 minutes ago, rolloman said:

With the announcement of the cancellation of some of the upcoming re-purpose of a couple ships it would seem Carnival might be considering reducing their fleet?  I found it curious yesterday the president mentioned he wanted two more hospital ships quickly. He mentioned his desire to build new but also mentioned we could repurpose a couple big ships already in existence. By putting two and two together, one could imagine Carnival selling a couple of their ships to the government. Just a thought....

I am sure that they would in a heartbeat.  Where did you see that they cancelled any updates to ships?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

That’s a delay, not a cancel.  There are no plans to shelve the redo makeover to the Radiance.

Yes, It's a delay today... but regardless, that does not change what I am suggesting. 

Just now, rolloman said:

Yes, It's a delay today... but regardless, that does not change what I am suggesting. 

They are not walking away from a ship unless something WAY more drastic occurs (today, tomorrow, next month, July), like a ban on cruising for over a year.  Again, as I said Carnival would jump at selling a Fantasy class ship, maybe 5.

• Like 3

Both of our current hospital ships started their life as tankers, and were cleverly repurposed.

I doubt that they would (could) purchase a foreign-built ship to keep on the U.S. Maritime roles.

Short term lease like post Katrina?  Most certainly.

• Like 1

The Legend cruises were canceled due to was schedule to Europe during the summer. with those cruises canceled, it did not make any sense for the Legend to do a transatlantic cruise like what i was suppose to. I think once cruising  resumes, it will continue cruises out of Tampa with  some great last minute deals 

I think people need to be thinking about the real possibility cruising will not start back up this year in the U.S. 

In the event this happens this will put the cruise lines on the brink of or possibly into Bankruptcy. I expect smaller fleets and a sell off of inventory across the board in order to survive. There is a possible buyer out there called the U.S. Navy...I am sure the President and Carnival brass have discussed this idea...the President didn't pull the idea out of thin air. 

Did anyone else catch that Colleen McDaniel, Editor-in-Chief of Cruise Critic, wrote that the Sunshine was formerly the Carnival Conquest? 😬

"Carnival Radiance will be the third ship Carnival has completely revamped -- and renamed -- joining Carnival Sunshine (formerly Carnival Conquest) and Carnival Sunrise (Carnival Triumph)."

• Haha 1

I could see selling some of the their ships and I could understand first thinking of the Fantasy class ships since they are the oldest of the fleet, but I would think the cost to operate this class would be lower with higher profit/passenger rate.  Shorter cruises, less staff, higher spending by each passenger since it is a shorter cruise, and new passengers twice a week eager to have a good time on a short vacation.  Just guessing, but would think the cruise lines make high profits earlier in the cruise with declining profits as each day passes.  In any case, I will be back cruising with Carnival and I hope it is this fall.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JMAE said:

I could see selling some of the their ships and I could understand first thinking of the Fantasy class ships since they are the oldest of the fleet, but I would think the cost to operate this class would be lower with higher profit/passenger rate.  Shorter cruises, less staff, higher spending by each passenger since it is a shorter cruise, and new passengers twice a week eager to have a good time on a short vacation.  Just guessing, but would think the cruise lines make high profits earlier in the cruise with declining profits as each day passes.  In any case, I will be back cruising with Carnival and I hope it is this fall.   

Not to mention that these ships are paid for.  And they serve home ports that are not suitable for the larger ships.  And how large a ship would the gov't want?  Fantasy class are about 10000 tons  larger than the current hospital ships.  But remember, Carnival is more than just Carnival Cruise Lines.  they are Seabourn, HAL, Princess, Costa, AIDA, Cunard ...P&O.  If the gov't wanted a ship, they might want one from another line in the family.  EM

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Did anyone else catch that Colleen McDaniel, Editor-in-Chief of Cruise Critic, wrote that the Sunshine was formerly the Carnival Conquest? 😬

"Carnival Radiance will be the third ship Carnival has completely revamped -- and renamed -- joining Carnival Sunshine (formerly Carnival Conquest) and Carnival Sunrise (Carnival Triumph)."

I was going  to post that after I read all of the comments.  Glad I read them all and found your posting before I did it again.

I think ultimately Carnival fleet will be reduced since cruising has gotten a black-eye and I doubt they will be able to fill their ships with paying passengers. I the short term once cruising resume, the cruise line will offer some great prices to attract passengers. If this works I maybe wrong- I hope I am. If I am not I think several of the ships will be docked, sold at a greatly reduced price, and new builds could be cancelled. 

As for converting cruise ships to hospital ships, this would require a lot of work since cruise ship cabins are to small, while to open area are to open.  A cargo or tanker would be a better option for a hospital ship. 

14 hours ago, rolloman said:

Highly doubtful the government would buy cruise ships. They may pay a premium to lease them long term though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I think ultimately Carnival fleet will be reduced since cruising has gotten a black-eye and I doubt they will be able to fill their ships with paying passengers. I the short term once cruising resume, the cruise line will offer some great prices to attract passengers. If this works I maybe wrong- I hope I am. If I am not I think several of the ships will be docked, sold at a greatly reduced price, and new builds could be cancelled. 

As for converting cruise ships to hospital ships, this would require a lot of work since cruise ship cabins are to small, while to open area are to open.  A cargo or tanker would be a better option for a hospital ship. 

Tanker as a hospital ship???? Uuummmm.    Also confused by the black eye comment

Edited by jimbo5544

20 hours ago, rolloman said:

I think people need to be thinking about the real possibility cruising will not start back up this year in the U.S. 

In the event this happens this will put the cruise lines on the brink of or possibly into Bankruptcy. I expect smaller fleets and a sell off of inventory across the board in order to survive. There is a possible buyer out there called the U.S. Navy...I am sure the President and Carnival brass have discussed this idea...the President didn't pull the idea out of thin air. 

Unless there is some regulatory relief, a ship built in a foreign shipyard, of foreign materials cannot be legally listed on the active ship rolls for the U.S. Navy.  Even our shipyards building the vessels for use in the Navy have to go produce mountains of paperwork to prove the source of materials used in construction.

NNSY&DDCo, 1988-1992.

26 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Tanker as a hospital ship???? Uuummmm.    Also confused by the black eye comment

The two current hospital ships in active status started out life as tankers.

The holds are easily sectioned off into wards and "theaters" (OR, OT, etc.).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DryCreek said:

Unless there is some regulatory relief, a ship built in a foreign shipyard, of foreign materials cannot be legally listed on the active ship rolls for the U.S. Navy.  Even our shipyards building the vessels for use in the Navy have to go produce mountains of paperwork to prove the source of materials used in construction.

NNSY&DDCo, 1988-1992.

Lots of ‘cannot be broke’ rules being broken these days.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DryCreek said:

The two current hospital ships in active status started out life as tankers.

The holds are easily sectioned off into wards and "theaters" (OR, OT, etc.).

Really.... interesting

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

Lots of ‘cannot be broke’ rules being broken these days.  

True, but when you see the depth of the regulations for procurement of vessels to be used in the U.S.N., it would take months, and on top of that, you'd have a crisis on your hand as all of your go-to shipbuilders shut down production in protest.  Buying foreign-made ships does not serve the needs of our country - one that is currently focused on bringing back that type of industry to our shores.

Now, a lease by FEMA?  It's been done before.  But I don't see any way they'd purchase them.  They don't need any troop transports any more.