Cruise Critic Community
Pster55

Oceania Refunds - Has anyone actually received any cash yet?

10 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Your CC is your protection in case of bankruptcy and possibly also in case of FCC vs refund (if Oceania cancels).

Paul.....does my CC protect me even if I used it over a year ago?

31 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Yes, I'm fully aware of the policy of returning 100% of the fare if they cancel or a 125% FCC. Had that happen last spring. My concern was more should the policy change and a deposit be refunded in the form of an FCC.

If I remember correctly, cruiselines operating in the United States (regardless of their "flag of convenience"), are subject to a variety of requirements of the US Federal Maritime Commission, including specific provisions regarding their ability to provide monetary refunds for cruises they cancel.

i doubt that Oceania will ever change the dollar refund provision though they may add the newer FCC allowance as an optional choice for passengers.

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

i doubt that Oceania will ever change the dollar refund provision though they may add the newer FCC allowance as an optional choice for passengers.

Thanks. I hope you're right.

Royal London,

very good news that your CC has come through.

As I have previously stated we will probably be in the same position. We are going to give them time to refund but will use section 75 the moment the 90 days are up.

Makes me think we will have to book direct with Oceania or the one TA which ‘WHICH’ 

( a uk British consumer magazine) has come out top for cruise refunds.

strange really how the budget airline Jet2 have refunded incredibly quickly and acted honestly and yet the Luxury TA is busy ruining its reputation.

Our holiday plan at the moment is to wait until the last moment before booking anything. Might not get the cabins we like but we will be better able to judge the risks involved. 

I must say our TA who is a franchisee has behaved impeccably, we have had 3 cruises refunded one from O only through her persistence. Also for our Celebrity Cruise which was curtailed in February she booked our air fare through their business travel division and managed to get us refunds when Cathay were not normally giving them. 

All the refunds bar that one came direct to the CC we had paid with, only on the Celebrity refund did it go to the TA as we had paid in 3 separate payments the TA  in order to keep within a credit limit on the credit card we got points on. In that case they told us the day they received a transfer from Celeb and that it would take about a week to sort it out as there was no schedule with it and it was for a large number of cruises  not just ours. 

As for the future we are beginning to think that even next year looks problematic for cruising, I read a report recently that it may take up to 88 days for a cruise ship to be reprovisioned and ready for service after a "warm ' lay up in normal circumstances. And even when they do start it is not going to be the experience we remember. 

30 minutes ago, jo-b said:

.....she booked our air fare through their business travel division and managed to get us refunds when Cathay were not normally giving them. ....

Perhaps another difference from the U.S. where the federal Department of Transportation requires ANY air carrier using a U.S. airport to offer a full airfare refund if the airline cancels the flight.