Jump to content

Regent Refund Experience (please limit to received refunds)


Portolan
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

It’s really easy to get your funds. Just phone your credit card and keep pressing buttons. You will get to an agent and request your funds to  be mailed to you. We have done this recently, and promptly received our money. 
sheila

Interesting.  We received the refund from Regent but now are waiting on AMEX.  They are treating it as a dispute since it involves a wire transfer.  Any amount over $10,000 requires a wire transfer according to their reps.  So, the dispute may be resolved by July according to their communication.  Very unhappy with AMEX at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

Interesting.  We received the refund from Regent but now are waiting on AMEX.  They are treating it as a dispute since it involves a wire transfer.  Any amount over $10,000 requires a wire transfer according to their reps.  So, the dispute may be resolved by July according to their communication.  Very unhappy with AMEX at this point.

That is very odd.  Did you dispute the charge with Amex at all?  If so, they temporarily put the credit on your account, but it is not final until the dispute is resolved. 

 

We have had excellent results with disputes a few times with Amex, and our attempt to dispute charges with Visa and/or Master Card (I don't remember which) was a total flop.  Whenever I make a charge that I am uneasy about, I always use Amex.  If I am uneasy and someone say they don't take Amex, I still don't use the other card.  I guess you could call that anecdotal information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

That is very odd.  Did you dispute the charge with Amex at all?  If so, they temporarily put the credit on your account, but it is not final until the dispute is resolved. 

 

We have had excellent results with disputes a few times with Amex, and our attempt to dispute charges with Visa and/or Master Card (I don't remember which) was a total flop.  Whenever I make a charge that I am uneasy about, I always use Amex.  If I am uneasy and someone say they don't take Amex, I still don't use the other card.  I guess you could call that anecdotal information.

No, we did not dispute the charge at any time.  I contacted AMEX after receiving AMEX notice of the refund from Regent.  Was told there were two ways to receive the funds-either by check  for less than $10,000 or wire transfer for any amount greater than $10,000.  Told it would take 3-5 days.  When I checked my account after a few days, I saw the message about it being handled as a dispute.  Contacted them and was told this happened any time with a wire transfer.  So, we wait.  BTW the amount they list to refund is not the original amount from Regent.  They are using those funds to apply to the account on every charge.  This account paid in full every month and has been for the last 10 years.  So, they are basically using our money while they treat it as a dispute because of the way they handle wire transfers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SkystheLimit, that is really a bummer.  My previous disputes were nowhere near $10,000 and I just left them in my account to cover my charges.  Maybe you could ask them to send you a check for $9,999 (or less) of it now and later ask for the rest.

 

Another thing to consider is having them send it by electronic funds transfer.  I know I have sent more than $10,000 to Amex in one transaction that way in the past.  If you have your card set up for that, maybe that would be an option.  I recently got an airline refund to my MasterCard directly to my bank this way, but it was under $10k.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

It’s really easy to get your funds. Just phone your credit card and keep pressing buttons. You will get to an agent and request your funds to  be mailed to you. We have done this recently, and promptly received our money. 
sheila

 

11 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

Interesting.  We received the refund from Regent but now are waiting on AMEX.  They are treating it as a dispute since it involves a wire transfer.  Any amount over $10,000 requires a wire transfer according to their reps.  So, the dispute may be resolved by July according to their communication.  Very unhappy with AMEX at this point.

 

That really is interesting.  I've been told by Amex Canada that it will be no problem, but I admit I didn't mention that it was $30K.  Hmm.  Guess I'll call them on Tuesday and make sure I know what method of repayment it will be, when it happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, liptastic said:

I’ve been thinking about you and your husband. You had a really distressing and emotional time with your travels and the last minute cancellation of your cruise.

I can imagine it’s very hard to post here . 
Regent has really fell down here with refunds for cancelled cruises paid if full, while they are concentrating on future deposit refunds only. Makes me wonder ??

Like you we have no refund for our Splendour April 16th cruise, but I do hope that they begin the process via date order in which cruises were due to sail and cancelled.
Best wishes to you and hope you have refunds for all expenses soon, Jean.

liptastic and SusieQft - thanks so much for your kind words and empathy!  To be fair we didn't do our air with Regent but I am not happy at this long wait for reimbursement.  We were on Swiss ZRH/SFO and then should have been on Swiss MIA/ZRH.  (Swiss dropped that route around 10 March).  We got to the US a couple of days before Trump closed the borders to Europeans.  That didn't give me a warm and toasty feeling!   Then the cruise was cancelled less than 20 hours before we would have boarded.  We were lucky to get AC flights via Toronto but then Trudeau closed Canadian borders to all but US nationals (which I am not - I am Swiss) the day after we flew from Canada!!  it was touch and go.   I really appreciated your lovely thoughts!  It helps...  Stay well!  Gerry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear Gerry you definitely had a nitemare route and journey home. 

That in itself and the anxiety at the time about actually getting home would be enough to put many of us off travelling for a while.

Yes stay safe. Jean 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gerry

I am so happy to see you on the boards again! 
You and Ken went through such an awful experience. Our hearts went out to you. We were lucky we made the decision not to fly to California just before the scheduled date for the cruise. 
We were looking forward to finally meeting you both. 
Perhaps, another time, another place.......
sheila and Herb 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2020 at 10:00 PM, Pcardad said:

They used to handle refunds in 2 or 3 days. I have a phone meeting on Monday - I will try to get an update then.

 

@Pcardad, any update from your Regent contact?

 

@SusieQft's spreadsheet appears to indicate that Regent are still not progressing the refund of full cruise fares or the larger deposits.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 - 60 days as per my contact at 7PM yesterday...and this person is seeing refunds on client accounts. I have no reason to doubt their word. In the past I have been told "No comment" when talking about something they were not allowed to share.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pcardad, is your Regent source talking about refunds of deposits (which have clearly started catching up) or refunds of fully paid cancelled cruises (which don't seem to be happening among CC contributers)?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2020 at 6:54 PM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Gerry

I am so happy to see you on the boards again! 
You and Ken went through such an awful experience. Our hearts went out to you. We were lucky we made the decision not to fly to California just before the scheduled date for the cruise. 
We were looking forward to finally meeting you both. 
Perhaps, another time, another place.......
sheila and Herb 

Indeed Sheila - another time another place !!   IF ONLY we had received notice of the possibility of cancelling our cruise 12 hours earlier we more than likely would have cancelled...  I got the email while waiting in the lounge about to board our flight to SFO, bags were already on the plane. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

When I turned on my computer this morning I had an email sent last night from my TA.  Regent has issued a full refund to us for our March 14 Splendor cruise.

 

To say I am relieved is an understatement.


Excellent news; let’s hope this is a sign that refunds will start flowing for all.

Is the money back in your bank or credit card account yet?
Any sign of a contribution towards your air fare?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is wonderful news - but a bit complicated.   Two of the cards we used no longer exist.  One was replaced by our bank because of new T&Cs for non US residents and the other closed because of a change in brokerage accounts!  So we have the respective people sorting this out.  The bulk of it has been refunded to our TA and they will be sending it on to our US bank account via wire transfer.    Generally it takes a few days to get something posted on a CC account but I am hopeful that by the end of next week all this will be sorted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

When I turned on my computer this morning I had an email sent last night from my TA.  Regent has issued a full refund to us for our March 14 Splendor cruise.

 

To say I am relieved is an understatement.

Hooray!  I am very happy to hear this! 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, flossie009 said:


Excellent news; let’s hope this is a sign that refunds will start flowing for all.

Is the money back in your bank or credit card account yet?
Any sign of a contribution towards your air fare?

Nothing regarding the airfare...  will let you know once I learn something.  Stay well!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2020 world cruise. Segment 4 adjustment requested at the reception desk per the letter left in suite on 2/25 and via travel agent the same day.

 

World cruise termination refund requested at the reception desk per the letter left in suite on 3/14, via my travel agent also on 3/14, and on-line through Regent website 4/7.

 

Refund for above posted to credit card 5/23/2020.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just-posted on the Thread being maintained by SusieQ:

 

May 22nd.  Received credit on our VISA Card for the basic fare re:  March 14th Splendor cruise canceled by Regent on March 13th.  (We were at San Diego--at Regent's designated hotel--when notified of the situation on afternoon of the 13th.)  Refund did not include "reasonable expenses" for our return to SEATAC, and then to our Redmond, WA residence on the afternoon of March 14th.  Those charges, mainly airline tickets, and such, amount to a bit-less than $1,000.00.   So--we are close to breaking even on the situation.

 

Still hoping for Explorer, April-May 2021 at Tokyo for trip to Vancouver, B.C.  Bottom line:  Viable vaccine--we cruise; no vaccine, we stay at home. 

 

GOARMY! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...