Zaandam and Rotterdam -- Moving Forward (April 3, 2020)

CCHelp

Flt to Toronto. YES YES YES.  Roll, rotate and climbing out. Which one is next. Was this the first one or what. May those on board have a restful flight home.

Edited by rjbean4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

They just received takeoff clearance from the Tower so they'll be on their way shortly

Happy to hear that they are going home.  You have given so much good info, would you mind sharing you back ground with me?  You have so much knowledge about the cruise lines and how they work.

Maria

19 minutes ago, cdwise said:

I dismissed the subscribe offer and was able to read it but here’s a direct link to the pdf if you want it

https://miami.cbslocal.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15909786/2020/04/Carnival-Complete-Agreement.pdf

I hope everyone -- and by everyone I mean all who moaned and groaned and complained about how the U.S. taxpayers would be footing the bill for this humanitarian effort -- pays attention to this clause in the agreement: 

"Payment of Costs:  Carnival shall be responsible for paying all costs incurred by Carnival, any member of the Unified Command, Broward County, BSO, or any other government entity or local health care facility directly arising or resulting from the activities required or permitted under this Agreement or the Carnival Plan, including but not limited to: berthing costs; the cost of transporting for all disembarking passengers; the cost and expenses of the services provided by BSO in connection with the disembarkation and transportation of passengers; the cost of medical care provided to passengers and crew at any facility in Broward County (which are not otherwise covered or paid for by the person’s medical or similar insurance); the cost of medi-evacuation of passengers and/or crew (which are not otherwise covered or paid for by the person’s medical or similar insurance); costs incurred by the Florida Department of Health; and all costs associated with any deceased persons previously on board."

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Petunia1950 said:

I hope everyone -- and by everyone I mean all who moaned and groaned and complained about how the U.S. taxpayers would be footing the bill for this humanitarian effort -- pays attention to this clause in the agreement: 

"Payment of Costs:  Carnival shall be responsible for paying all costs incurred by Carnival, any member of the Unified Command, Broward County, BSO, or any other government entity or local health care facility directly arising or resulting from the activities required or permitted under this Agreement or the Carnival Plan, including but not limited to: berthing costs; the cost of transporting for all disembarking passengers; the cost and expenses of the services provided by BSO in connection with the disembarkation and transportation of passengers; the cost of medical care provided to passengers and crew at any facility in Broward County (which are not otherwise covered or paid for by the person’s medical or similar insurance); the cost of medi-evacuation of passengers and/or crew (which are not otherwise covered or paid for by the person’s medical or similar insurance); costs incurred by the Florida Department of Health; and all costs associated with any deceased persons previously on board."

Thank you for posting this. Many seemed to see only the dark side of this, even when there was so much to hope for.

The big concern now for those who love HAL is to see what we can do to help them survive. It will not be easy.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

I'm glad to see Eastern survived as a charter carrier. I flew many thousands of miles with them when they were a major airline. That's been a while back....

Not the same company.  Just the name was used.

YYZ flight just flew by.  They're on the way!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Crism said:

Not the same company.  Just the name was used.

YYZ flight just flew by.  They're on the way!

That's okay. The logo is the same and I still have the memory.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

I'm glad to see Eastern survived as a charter carrier. I flew many thousands of miles with them when they were a major airline. That's been a while back....

about the rebirth of Eastern Airlines from Wikipedia

In 2011, a group purchased the intellectual property, including trademarks, of Eastern Air Lines and formed the Eastern Air Lines Group. The group announced in early 2014 that it had filed an application with the United States Department of Transportation for a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity, which will be followed by certification with the Federal Aviation Administration. The new airline began service through charter and wet-lease flights out of Miami International in late 2014 with Boeing 737-800 jetliners painted in the classic Eastern "hockey stick" livery. The IATA and ICAO codes of the original airline, as well as its callsign, are now used by the new iteration of Eastern Air Lines. After a sale to Swift Air, the trademarks were passed on to Eastern Airlines, LLC in 2018. On January 12, 2020, after nearly two decades of being officially defunct, the first flight of the renewed Eastern Airlines landed at JFK airport, heralding a new era for the brand name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines

4 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Next flight.  You can watch them load here.  Some of the comments are brutal.

https://www.pscp.tv/WSVN/1YqKDEwnXnaGV

Some of Zaandam's/Rotterdam's U.S pax going to Atlanta-Hartsfield on another Eastern Airlines charter flight, EAL #109, a Boeing 767-233, N604KW. schedule for a Noon/12:00 PM EDT departure from FLL and a 1:29 PM EDT arrival in Atlanta

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/EAL209/history/20200403/1600Z/KFLL/KATL

5720101.jpg?v=v498993aee21

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dockman said:

there goes my brother/wife finally headed home after the "trip of a lifetime"...certainly one that they will never ever forget.

Do they have a connecting flight or will they need to rent a car?

Roy

Seeing  as  All cruises are not going for some time

Maybe they got  reservations for dry  dock/ wet dock in  Bahamas?  Crews could use a 'b reather' after all  they have experienced.

Ships likely can use good scrub down.

THIS THREAD says Zaandam still scheduled for dry dock starting 4/7 but may or may not get there. IMO most likely destination for Rotterdam is the "parking lot" off Grand Bahama with Veendam, Volendam, Nieuw A, and Nieuw S.  Or she may take Zaandam's DD slot.

Edited by catl331

33 minutes ago, Petunia1950 said:

That subject was on the Unified Command’s requirements list.  HAL met the requirements as many (most?) of us thought they would but it wasn’t out of the kindness of their heart.  It was a negotiated agreement since it took days so obviously details satisfactory to Broward County had to be worked out.  So glad they all worked together!

• Like 3

In the second exhibit it says passengers are instructed to wear masks until home. What got me though was: 

“ Did you see this “We are planning to repatriate the majority of Fit for Travel individuals by early Saturday morning. The only exception may be a few individuals whose home countries will not accept inbound citizens. These guests will be flown on the Atlanta or San Francisco charter flights on Friday.”“

If the 265 number of Canadians is correct looks like 22 of them are either deemed not fit to travel or possibly are some of the many Canadian citizens who have winter homes in Florida and are choosing to  go there. Who knows. One of the deceased wa from the UK so that only leaves one UK citizen not going straight home. Too hard to tell about other nationalities but looks like a lot of Europeans based on the number flying to DeGalle. . 

43 minutes ago, arabrab said:

That is a very detailed plan in terms of getting folks out of Florida. 

It is not nearly so clear as to what happens to folks once they arrive at the airport where the charter flights land. I hope the passengers continue to wear the masks they are being provided.

Yes, for their sake.  I would hate to see them having survived this ordeal and then catch the virus from other passengers in the airport.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, capriccio said:

That subject was on the Unified Command’s requirements list.  HAL met the requirements as many (most?) of us thought they would but it wasn’t out of the kindness of their heart.  It was a negotiated agreement since it took days so obviously details satisfactory to Broward County had to be worked out.  So glad they all worked together!

I believe it took less than 48 hours to negotiate...from the meeting on Tuesday to the ships' arrival on Thursday.

3 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

I believe it took less than 48 hours to negotiate...from the meeting on Tuesday to the ships' arrival on Thursday.

And I suspect that most of the negotiation was not over who was going to pick up the tab, but was about containing the threat of infection.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

The Port Everglades update was dated Monday so I’m thinking HAL was aware of the requirements before Tuesday.

• Like 1