When Do You Plan To Cruise Again?

SargassoPirate

11 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Not really.  The part that concerns me is that if Covid is detected on board, all remaining passengers will be quarantined.  I think I'll wait and see what they do once a vaccine is widely available.

Signed,

one who got stuck in Australia in March after cruise lines and airlines started shutting down.

I hope that once a vaccine is widely available, that the cruise lines will require all passengers to have it.  Many ports have required vaccines for other diseases for a long time.  So a COVID-19 vaccine requirement wouldn't be a new idea.

IMHO, if one has to be "stuck", Australia is a good place to be.  Were you free to tour?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, islandwoman said:

I hope that once a vaccine is widely available, that the cruise lines will require all passengers to have it.  Many ports have required vaccines for other diseases for a long time.  So a COVID-19 vaccine requirement wouldn't be a new idea.

IMHO, if one has to be "stuck", Australia is a good place to be.  Were you free to tour?

Long story short, we arrived three hours before they started mandatory quarantines for new arrivals, so yes, we were free to travel within Australia.  Several weeks later our Indian Pacific trip from Perth to Sydney was suddenly canceled when we reached Adelaide and we we put off the train.  Australia had started to close its internal state and territory borders by then.  From then on it got dicey since we had planned to cruise home from Sydney on the Ruby Princess - which by then had also been canceled.  We managed to grab a flight to Sydney and stayed at a hotel near the international terminal for several days until we could get seats on the remaining daily flight from Sydney to SFO.  Thank goodness for travel insurance and credit cards.  Don't leave home without them!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 1:59 PM, D. B. said:

One Point that I need to make about We Senior Cruisers is not shared by the Youngsters....

While I think about my 5 Cruises that have been Canceled this year (All by the Cruise Lines) I am also trying to be Safe in my daily life as I do not want to become another victim of the Covid 19 virus.

BUT at the same time I am Losing a YEAR of my life. If I were 25 that may be a Small percentage of the Time I have left on this Earth BUT as someone getting close to 80 that could be 10%, 20% or..?...% of the time I have left.

So I Hope things like a Vaccine or anything else that will let me get back to going on a Cruise will be Very Welcome.

I am with you regarding age and pre-existing conditions. We have had 9 cruises cancelled and we have enough FCC to pay for a 50 day South America cruise January 2022. We are willing to wear a mask, social distance and get the Moderna vaccine. We don't do flu shots because they are just too inefficient. 95% success is a winner. Covid is unlikely to strike but its death rate is higher than the flu. We wear our masks, stay home but, we still travel and stay away from people. We respect other people's concern and stay away. We have had all of our Princess cruises for 2021 cancelled. So, we will wait until we see Ships sail from San Pedro or Long beach before we book again locally.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 10:41 AM, islandwoman said:

DH and I are about your age.  Whenever it occurs to me that I am losing a year+ of my life,  I remember that it is a small price to pay for living to cruise again and living to visit grandchildren again.

That is where we are.  Just thankful that we are not in the hospital.  My cousin had a few weeks of very 'touch and go' in the ICU.  Plus serious complications post covid.

We have missed two months in Greece/Cyprus, a tip to Mexico with our daughter and family, and a winter in Thailand.  Sure, we miss it and yes we might not have too many years left of independent travel.   But the loss of these opportunities is hardly the end of our world.  The bottom line is that our situation is so much better than many others in this world at the moment.  We simply have to suck it up, not feel sorry for ourselves or engage in a pity party, and move forward.

But...we are very much glass half full vs half empty people.  Thankful for what we have, very sorry for those who have been impacted.   Realistically we do not expect to get the vaccine until June.  

Given the unknows we are not making any firm plans and reservations. We know where we want to travel next but it makes no sense to us to do anything but window shop and research the travel books.

Edited by iancal

We have started to plan and book again for trips beginning late June 2021, always making sure that our reservations can be cancelled without penalty.  I'm guessing that once a vaccine becomes widely available and it's clear that the pandemic is approaching its end, travelers will begin to book up what's becoming limited capacity, prices will skyrocket, and cancellation fees will be reinstated. 

Vaccine or no, I'm not staying cooped up in the house. My DW and I made a 2-week road trip here in the US ranging from Texas to Indiana to Florida and back along the coast to Texas. We masked, stayed caught up on our meds and vitamins, social distanced and made it home without incident.

When the plague first hit, I tried rebooking on different cruises 3 times before all cruises were called off. Currently, I've booked a back-to-back to Alaska for August 2021. Vaccine or not, we're going as long as we are allowed to.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to be 65 Oct 2021. I have multiple pre-existing conditions. Like obese. Diabetes. Heart disease as well as 5 types of cancer. I visited Las Vegas, Reno and san Diego Sept 2020. Doctor said I'll be fine. Just take it easy he said. Nov 2019 I was declared terminal from cancer.  Doc said I will not see my nexy birthday. That was Oct 2020. I'm still here.

My wife and I loved to travel. I carried her remains from Florida to Califonia Sept 2020. This ws her dying wish. To be laid to rest in her hometown.  I was told not to fly but I flew anyway.  Now that I have been losing my eyesight since may of 2018. It is hard to drive and travel.

I have also been told it is unsafe for me to sail on cruise ship. The chance for me to die is too great I have heard. I just had my 9th covid test the starty of 2021. Ak tests have been negative.  So talking with my doctors they wish me well and say enjoy the cruising.  Yes I can die on the cruise. But I can also die tonight at home.  been fighting some form of cancer for over five years now. I take precautions. Try to be careful. But i refuse to crawl in bed and wait to die.

I'll gladly take another covid test if asked. In fact I will lkely take four or more covid tests before I sail this year.

I'm over 55. I have enjoyed life. I live by the motto, it is the life in your years and not the years in your life. 

So barring the CDC cancelling my cruise. My next sailing will be on the MSC Divina. Out of Port Canaveral (Orlando) on Sept 30, 2021.

And if CDC allows. I'll do a B2b on Oct 3, 2021. A 7 night cruise to Mexico   for my 65th birthday

As I say, I have more life to enjoy during my few remaining days, months or years.

disney1.jpg

Edited by Hangman115
  • Like 2

We have an Island Princess "Search for the Northern Lights" booked for October 5, 2021.  This is one that we moved from 2020.  We recently booked a Viking River Blue Danube cruise for the following week.  Viking demanded full payment yesterday - way earlier than we had expected.  I hope they will refund our money if the cruise is cancelled or substantially changed. We have Azamara cruises booked from Japan to Greece beginning in May 2022.  Those were moved from early 2021.  We're counting on most cruisers having had vaccines by October and that the countries our ships are scheduled to visit will let us in.

We will cruise whenever our next cruise is a "go." Continue to have cancellations and continue to re-book. Our next booked cruise is in April which most likely will be cancelled and then we have a May 1 and that is anyones guess. Then we do not have anything booked until September 2021 as usually we do not cruise during summer months due to possibility of more kids on board. But this year who knows, if May also gets cancelled will see if there is anything at a good price out there for June. Will get vaccine when able to make an appointment, live in Florida, 65+ can get vaccines, Florida IMHO is having trouble with distributing the vaccine to its own 65+ year round residents as it appears that many out-of-staters are coming into Florida to get vaccinated, crazy, but that's another whole topic - just my vent of the day!

50 minutes ago, cellfree said:

it appears that many out-of-staters are coming into Florida to get vaccinated, crazy, but that's another whole topic - just my vent of the day!

The snowbirds are here.  It's important to me that as many people as are willing get vaccinated, even snowbirds, because that will reduce the spread of the virus and help to protect those who cannot be vaccinated, like children.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just booked our first cruise since September 2019 (before Corvid19 (BC)) for July 30, 2022 from Reykjavik to Copenhagen. We normally take a minimum of 2 and sometimes 3 cruises a year but 2020 was a lost year and when you are in your 70's you hate to lose a year. Hopefully with the vaccines 2021 and 2022 will be better years. My wife has already had her 2 shots and I'm scheduled for my second shot March 18. Have a great next cruise.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We're both over 60 and in pretty good health, her better than me, but it's OK. I'm more worried about going somewhere on a ship and finding the port is closed to visitors, or someone on the crew getting sick and having the cruise canceled. As for the thought of covid itself, we're not too worried. If we get it, we get it. If we don't, all the better, but we're not living our lives in constant fear. If the cruise lines open again with a smart and fair plan if things go sideways then we'll go. If not, we'll look at another RV and I'll take her around North America instead.

Sure is crazy how so much has gone bad so fast.

How can anyone answer this question??? 

We do not know where covid is going.-it stll has a long way to go.  We do not know what the onboard environment will be post covid.  We cannot judge other international locations by what is transpiring in North America.

Depending on the itinerary, we have no idea if ports will be open or if we will have to take a cruise line excursion vis DIY or private.

Seems like a silly question to me.

It is a silly question to some and a serious question to others.

My personal answer is that I intend to go cruising as soon as I am allowed.  If I need to wear a mask and social distance, I will.  If I miss a port or two, I will adapt.

I have 4 cruises booked between September 21 and February 22.  Just hoping I get to cruise again.  Others may wish to wait until things return to "normal".  Assuming that ever happens.  

I am now fully vaccinated but if new variants make that ineffective then I will reevaluate and make a decision on the facts and science of that time.

Short answer, as soon as I can. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iancal said:

Seems like a silly question to me.

The OP's question was "When do you plan to cruise again".  I read that as "When do you hope to cruise again", or "When will you tentatively cruise again", not "When will you cruise again."   I don't find it silly at all, as it's a question that's been on my mind for over a year now.

My answer:  ASAP!

• Like 1

Sailing SOLO at 82!!!  I’m wondering if I’m crazy.....I have a TA on hold for April 2022. Have to decide by Monday!  I will be going Tampa to Barcelona and then going on to spend time with my German friends who my husband and I met cruising 20 years ago!  This will most probably be my last trip to Europe. I’m been to all the ports on the cruise so it will be a little bittersweet for me. Probably won’t do much in the way of shore excursions. We loved sailing on TAs. Am I crazy or just plain stupid.....or should I just go for it??  I’m in fairly good health

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GoVolsTB said:

Sailing SOLO at 82!!!  I’m wondering if I’m crazy.....I have a TA on hold for April 2022. Have to decide by Monday!  I will be going Tampa to Barcelona and then going on to spend time with my German friends who my husband and I met cruising 20 years ago!  This will most probably be my last trip to Europe. I’m been to all the ports on the cruise so it will be a little bittersweet for me. Probably won’t do much in the way of shore excursions. We loved sailing on TAs. Am I crazy or just plain stupid.....or should I just go for it??  I’m in fairly good health

Go for it for sure😃👍.  I think it is wonderful that you are able to do it. I only sail solo....I am 20 years younger than you....hoping I will still be sailing in 20 years!

I am also taking a TA crossing next year.....16 nights.  No, you are NOT 

stupid or crazy!!!  Go and have a great time.😃

38 minutes ago, GoVolsTB said:

Am I crazy or just plain stupid.....or should I just go for it??  I’m in fairly good health

I'm only 6 years younger than you are and so have a different perspective than Lois R.  My suggestion is that you base your choice on the state of the pandemic at the time of sailing.  If you've had your vaccines and the pandemic seems to have run its course, then go for it 😀  But if more contagious or more deadly variants are circulating widely, stay home and stay safe.  Book now if you can get a refundable fare and then keep a close eye on cancellation deadlines.  Or buy travel insurance if you can find any that is affordable and will cover both the pandemic and pre-existing conditions.

GoVolsTB,

One of my favorite people I met on solo cruises was a lady in her late 80s from Australia.  She had flown to the US for our cruise and had another cruise to Santiago just after ours got back.

When someone asked why she was traveling so much all by herself, she said she wouldn't be able to do it at any younger age than she was right then.  She had to use a walker to get around but she was all over the ship.  So as long as you can travel and want to travel, go for it.  Age in itself is not a big factor.

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement!  I have until 3-23 to decide on the cruise I have on hold.  I plan to buy travel insurance thru Celebrity  I don’t see an exclusion on the policy for pandemics. I have been vaccinated and if a booster is necessary I would hopefully be able to get it before I leave. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not cruising until Dec.2022 on Oceania Marina. I've taken and planned more non-cruise trips.  Cancelled 1 cruise another x2 but took FCC on 1. Since I've already travelled internationally with no problems health wise, the biggest problem was for those who had to be tested before going home  and the app. wasn't always working in foreign countries. Terrible plan.  I asked for a paper result from my test. Had an easier time than guests with app.  I will get my 2nd vaccine this week, make a copy, and get my original laminated at a local Office store offering the service. I don't think an app. is  efficient from what I've already seen. If you do travel because you can't wait any longer for Cruise re-start and go internationally, see if your hotel offers Testing. Mine did at no cost..