Crystal still hasn't processed my 5 figure refund from a cancellation in February

Had an Asian centric cruise cancelled in February that was set to sail in early March.  Despite Crystal's promise to provide a complete refund of the amount, I still have yet to receive a refund.  Hopefully the solvency of Crystal is not impacting its processing of these refunds.  

They have not responded to my repeated inquiries.

My patience is wearing thin.  If Crystal can take deposits for future cruises via credit card, they certainly can process refunds just as easily.

There are a variety of reasons as to why they aren't, but one that can be financially injurious to me is if they don't have the working capital to process them.  

2 minutes ago, BookLover102 said:

Had an Asian centric cruise cancelled in February that was set to sail in early March.  Despite Crystal's promise to provide a complete refund of the amount, I still have yet to receive a refund.  Hopefully the solvency of Crystal is not impacting its processing of these refunds.  

My patience is wearing thin.  If Crystal can take deposits for future cruises via credit card, they certainly can process refunds just as easily.

There are a variety of reasons as to why they aren't, but one that can be financially injurious to me is if they don't have the working capital to process them.  

As someone who is also expecting a "five figure refund", I would suggest you survey the various Cruise Critic threads on the Crystal board (along with the other Luxury line boards) where the timing issues have been discussed ad nauseum. The entire cruise industry has adopted the 60 to 90 time frame for processing refunds.

2 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

As someone who is also expecting a "five figure refund", I would suggest you survey the various Cruise Critic threads on the Crystal board (along with the other Luxury line boards) where the timing issues have been discussed ad nauseum. The entire cruise industry has adopted the 60 to 90 time frame for processing refunds.

Roland, since you seem to be possessed of superior information about the status of refunds, why is it that Crystal is immediately processing credit card deposits for future cruises? Since you might have insight into Crystal's financial health, do they have the balance sheet to give refunds without the benefit of receivables from future bookings? In my field, we call that a ponzi scheme.

As an aside, I don't care about the refund policy of CCL or RCL; they don't have my money.  My contract was and is with Crystal.

I cancelled our cruise on March 4 and was told by Crystal it was processed on March 16.  It's now three weeks since being processed and we still have not received our "five figure refund".   Have to wonder why the lag time from being processed to Crystal actually releasing the funds.:classic_huh:

First, that update is from almost three weeks ago.  Has anyone gotten a refund?  You would think that if they have to "manually" process the request, that this person(s) surely has issued some refunds?  If so, who has gotten their refunds?  And isn't it odd that they can immediately process a payment TO them, but when they need to MAKE a payment it is "manually" done and won't be done for 90 days?

So, has Crystal processed any refunds?  If so, what was the date of cancellation?

Is it one person in some  back office somewhere in Crystal's office that is processing these refunds?  

I understand that Crystal is desperate for liquidity, but doesn't their excuse seem at least a little peculiar to those who are waiting on their refunds?

10 minutes ago, BookLover102 said:

I understand that Crystal is desperate for liquidity, but doesn't their excuse seem at least a little peculiar to those who are waiting on their refunds?

It doesn't seem peculiar at all.  They are fighting for their existence.   I would patient.  I want them to survive so I can give them more business in the future.  

Unfortunately I have had to file credit card disputes because of pending deadlines.  By pushing the refund timeframe back so far Crystal has brought on this problem.  I assume they have done so knowing there will be chargebacks and disputes but have no choice due to cash flow issues.  If you read the other forums like Cunard and Princess, you will see passengers are in the same position.  It seems very doubtful the cruise industry will be back to normal this Summer or Fall unless a miracle occurs.  From where will Crystal get the money to pay refunds? 

19 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

It doesn't seem peculiar at all.  They are fighting for their existence.   I would patient.  I want them to survive so I can give them more business in the future.  

I understand loyalty to Crystal Cruise, which is understandable.  Once this pandemic is over, we all want our lives to return to some semblance of normalcy.  Crystal's employees undoubtedly have families to feed, etc.  However, I also have a family to feed.  While your desire to have them survive is altruistic, I prefer the financial well-being of my family to take precedence. I am not judging your desire to enjoy future cruises.  We all need our center.

With respect to the peculiarity of Crystal telling its customers the refunds are on their way, with no refunds in sight:  How do you justify any corporation lying to the public as normal, pandemic or no pandemic?  To me if we have devolved so much as a society that you would accept blatant corporate falsehoods as being non-peculiar (normal?) more harm will come of that than from any virus.

Joan Didion wrote a wonderful series of essays  entitled "Slouching Towards Bethlehem", the title lifted from a Yeats poem about a coming apocalypse; prescient, perhaps, that I had at first thought, in coming to-and posting to -this forum, of entitling it "Slouching Towards Bankruptcy". I encourage everyone to read them, they make lovely reading on a starlit deck. In particular, her essay written when she was aged 20, in which she, borrowing from Yeats again, wrote the center cannot hold.

6 hours ago, BookLover102 said:

Regardless of anyone's opinion from this board about Crystal, Genting, processing times, how many threads there have been on this subject and just about anything else that has already been posted,  this is the processing time for refunds which has been communicated by Crystal Cruises and can be found on their website.

Keith

ADVISORY ALERT: PROCESSING OF REFUNDS

• Processing and Issuance of Refunds 

UPDATED Wednesday, March 18, 2020 6pm EST

Crystal continues to diligently work to serve our guests for travel changes as a result of the evolving COVID-19 situation. With many affected sailings, we ask our guests for their patience as we work through the logistics of the changes to our voyages, including pending itinerary changes and the issuing of refunds. Refunds are manually processed by the Crystal team and given the high volume of cancelled sailings it may take up to 90 days from the day of cancellation for them to be issued to guests.

We thank you for reading this important information, and for your continued understanding.

12 hours ago, BookLover102 said:

Roland, since you seem to be possessed of superior information about the status of refunds, why is it that Crystal is immediately processing credit card deposits for future cruises? Since you might have insight into Crystal's financial health, do they have the balance sheet to give refunds without the benefit of receivables from future bookings? In my field, we call that a ponzi scheme.

As an aside, I don't care about the refund policy of CCL or RCL; they don't have my money.  My contract was and is with Crystal.

Sorry to disappoint you, but no special knowledge of Crystal's situation. I will admit that after 15 years as an agent, and many years in financial services prior to that, I do have some understanding of the "back office" process. My point really, is that there have been numerous posts on this subject over the last two weeks should you care to look for them. For a very detailed explanation of the "nuts and bolts" of the refund process I would suggest you check the thread Crystal & The Corona Virus, and the post by BWIVince on Page 46 of that thread. He has several posts on that thread that would be worth your time to search out and read.

Cancelled a Crystal cruise on March 4, 2020 for the Summer of 2021- I followed up w/ them this morning and they told me 90 days get my deposit!

I am now wondering if this is going to be a loss to me, my hope is that my deposit is in a reserve account!

I guess what I have learned from this is that a cruise line w/ a couple of ships and a single owner is a high risk proposition these days. Crystal has been taken off my future cruise list!

In my mind, I have written off amounts owed to me by both Crystal and Princess. Cruise lines are fighting for their financial lives, and so it’s sadly only natural for them to hold on to every dime they have. If I receive a refund, I will be pleasantly surprised. I will be reluctant to cruise on any cruise line from here on out unless it’s a “drop and go” cruise and we are free of the virus.  

---Have 3 world cruises booked.  A few weeks ago I canceled 2 other cruises for 2021 and 2022.  No refunds received.  The total is far more than I wish to simply write off.  

---No compensation received for ending this year's world cruise.  Although, I expect this to take longer than refunds for 2 canceled cruises.  

Edited by Travel2Learn
33 minutes ago, Travel2Learn said:

---Have 3 world cruises booked.  A few weeks ago I canceled 2 other cruises for 2021 and 2022.  No refunds received.  The total is far more than I wish to simply write off.  

---No compensation received for ending this year's world cruise.  Although, I expect this to take longer than refunds for 2 canceled cruises.  

What options do we have?  Charges made within the past few months can be disputed with the credit card companies, but most of us probably have charges that were made long ago. 

Our interests are aligned with the cruise industry.    We all want to continue cruising which requires  an operating cruise industry .   

The money I spent on world cruises wasn't funding my retirement and if I never see any of it returned, my lifestyle or future travels won't change a bit.  I suspect that is the same situation for many who cruise, particularly on Crystal.  

Crystal needs its current customers to build the foundation for the future.  If we feel we got screwed in the end, they won't survive as they will have no hope attracting new business if they can hang on to us.

When the airlines all went BK, they didn't zero out frequent flier miles as they needed to keep loyal customers loyal.   If the cruise companies go Chap 7 - then it's all over anyway.   Chap 11 is more likely (if they can't simply weather the current storm) and then I would expect that refunds due would turn into future cruise credits. 

I have seen nothing to suggest that the industry is not acting is good faith.   I will be very patient.   

Now if we see the executives getting bonuses, then my attitude will change, but for now, I will be riding this out and plan to jump on the first cruise available once they start operating again.  

20 hours ago, resistk said:

Unfortunately I have had to file credit card disputes because of pending deadlines.  

Good luck with that, but I suspect you will be disappointed. The credit card company will not give you your money back until they have conducted an investigation. Given that I believe all lines are claiming "force majeur" as the reason behind the delays, I would be surprised if the card company will find in your favour. More to the point, if you are doing this on future cruises not already cancelled, then non-provision of services may not apply. Please do keep us posted as your case progresses.

I cancelled outside the 90 day window and am entitled to 75% refund.  If Crystal tries to keep it, I will fight them every way possible.  I need the money a lot more than they do and worked hard to earn it.

Edited by resistk

The Crystal team has been following this conversation. We truly appreciate your patience as we continue to navigate this unprecedented situation relating to COVID-19. We are aware and completely understand your concerns and please know it is our intent to issue applicable refunds as quickly as possible. We have a high volume of refunds because we have voluntarily suspended cruise operations for our entire Ocean, River and Yacht fleets from mid-March through May voyages and, in addition, all of our employees are now working remotely because of stay at home orders. However, we can tell you that many of our guests are seeing refunds issued faster than our original estimate of up to 90 days. Please note that the up-to-90 days’ timeline was from the day of cancellation and not necessarily from the day scheduled to sail.

As you may know, Crystal is taking measures to maintain our strong financial position and has the support of our parent company Genting Hong Kong as we weather this unprecedented global pandemic. We are sincerely grateful for your continued understanding, should you have further questions please reach out to our Guest Services team at GuestSupport@crystalcruises.com.