Crystal still hasn't processed my 5 figure refund from a cancellation in February

Our 50th. Anniversary cruise from Singapore to Dubai was cancelled on March 3rd. We waited a few weeks then contacted Crystal direct, as our ta was sick with Covid. After getting nowhere with an agent, I requested to speak to a supervisor. She said that they didn’t have supervisors! Well, I  did not believe this to be true so I kept pushing to speak to someone in charge. After a long wait I was transferred to a supervisor who advised that she had already processed my refund. 
So I was credited for the amount of final payment but not for my deposit. We finally received that a couple of weeks ago, but I had to contact Crystal once again. We are still waiting for our 500 dollar air credit, but I was advised hat this would be done by another department.

Not a bad outcome but stressful, nonetheless.

20 hours ago, travelberlin said:

2 hours ago, ryndam said:

FWIW, we are in the process of requesting refunds from Qatar Airways. The airline canceled our flight in early May. We received this email about 2 weeks ago. The bold, underlined and italicized text is my editing, not the airlines. (I also redacted our personal reservation information from the cut-and-pasted text.) Qatar Airways is fully owned by the Qatari government. If government-owned entities are experiencing refund delays, it may serve as an illustrative barometer of the challenges experienced by privately-owned operators.

Rob

Thank you for submitting a request for a refund to Qatar Airways and apologies for the delay in responding.

If you have requested your refund at least 72 hours before your scheduled flight departure, your refund will be accepted. It may take up to eight weeks to get the money back into your bank account or card depending on who you bank with.

We are currently processing an unprecedented volume of requests. Our ability to do this swiftly has been made more challenging by government lockdown measures, however we are working through all of the requests and will complete the task.

Despite these challenges, we are processing your refunds as quickly as we can. 

Additionally, if you do not hear back from us by the time your scheduled flight has departed, do not worry. Your refund request will be accepted and processed in due course.

You can help us to process refunds more quickly by refraining from submitting multiple requests, or calling us to follow up, as this slows down our processing time. To review the status of your request and add additional comments, follow the link below:
http://qatarairways.zendesk.com/************

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. We are grateful to you for your patience and understanding at this time.

Sincerely,
Qatar Airways Support

Rob,

My flight was cancelled by Qatar in early May.  I had the money refunded within 1 week of the planned departure date.

Edited by csto
6 minutes ago, csto said:

Rob,

My flight was cancelled by Qatar in early May.  I had the money refunded within 1 week of the planned departure date.

And therein lies the inconsistencies of refunds these days. Thanks for sharing your rapid refund experience. I'm sure our refund is in the queue, somewhere.

Rob

11 minutes ago, blackfoot said:

Curious, does anyone know where their business office is located. If it's not too far away, might check it out. 

This address is on Crystal's website for their corporate headquarters. The accounting/business office functions may, or may not be located there.

Crystal Cruises
1501 Biscayne Blvd., Suite 500
Miami, FL USA 33132

On 5/31/2020 at 3:52 PM, almostretired said:

The Crystal Cruise Family FB page has numerous posts on refunds,  If there is a thread in the posts, it is that there appears to be no "first in, first out" rule.  Some have waited more than 90 days, others less than a month.  Unless something is put on paper by Crystal's senior management, no one will know the exact details on the refund process.  Our journey has just started.  We have about 105 days from canceling our cruise till we must pay the remainder on a January Serenity cruise.  If we get a refund, they get paid.  Otherwise we will cancel the January cruise.

I have not seen that page on refunds. I will look for it.

Ivi

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

I have not seen that page on refunds. I will look for it.

Ivi

I have just looked  at that page. It is as frustrating as here. More than a page on “refunds “, seems to be a page on “non refunds “.

Ivi

Interesting indeed.  They sign a loan agreement on 3/26 and less than 2 months later they ask for a waiver to postpone principal payments.  Perhaps we can all ask for a waiver for  paying for our cruises as agreed.  Do you think Crystal will allow that?

Maybe all who are owed refunds will soon get an email from Crystal asking for a waiver on the “up to 90 days” for processing.

8 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Interesting indeed.  They sign a loan agreement on 3/26 and less than 2 months later they ask for a waiver to postpone principal payments.  Perhaps we can all ask for a waiver for  paying for our cruises as agreed.  Do you think Crystal will allow that?

Loan was made in 2019.  That's more than "2 months later".

...and they're hardly the only company or party that is seeking debt relief on agreements they signed years ago.  Look at how many millions of people and companies are on debt assistance for COVID-19 from their mortgage companies, landlords, banks, utilities, etc..  My company certainly is.

Vince

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

...and they're hardly the only company or party that is seeking debt relief on agreements they signed years ago.  Look at how many millions of people and companies are on debt assistance for COVID-19 from their mortgage companies, landlords, banks, utilities, etc..  My company certainly is.

Vince

An appropriate observation, since long-term cash flow problems of an extraordinary nature may remain quite burdensome for many small and medium size companies. 

Recently, the Federal Reserve Board has been allowed to provide support for “junk bonds” issued mainly by “too big to fail” companies.  Provisions appear to be rather flexible (e.g. with regard to foreign companies).  Hence, Carnival Corporation was recently able to obtain $6 billion at favorable interest rates, thereby reducing current cash-flow problems.

See:  https://www.businessinsider.com/carnival-faced-higher-interest-rate-new-debt-before-fed-action-2020-4

Edited by Jim9310
font size

You should check your status. Sometimes it happens that the have processed your refund but forgot to change the status of your inquiry so your money is basically stuck in the air waiting to be inlocked. Please check with the office 

37 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

You should check your status. Sometimes it happens that the have processed your refund but forgot to change the status of your inquiry so your money is basically stuck in the air waiting to be inlocked. Please check with the office 

Its hard to check with the office when you live in the UK and they don't respond to emails. They haven't been accepting phone calls from my agent, just emails ....

Interesting, Crystal Cruises has their Verified spokesperson (not just a regular Cruise Critic poster) post an update and information on the thread questioning Coronavirus on Crystal ships, yet not a post on the two threads on here about refunds.

Crystal obviously reads these threads if they replied quite quickly to the Coronavirus on Crystal Ships thread.  Why crickets on refunds?

43 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Interesting, Crystal Cruises has their Verified spokesperson (not just a regular Cruise Critic poster) post an update and information on the thread questioning Coronavirus on Crystal ships, yet not a post on the two threads on here about refunds.

Crystal obviously reads these threads if they replied quite quickly to the Coronavirus on Crystal Ships thread.  Why crickets on refunds?

I suspect it is probably because they have nothing more to offer than what they have. They are working on them. In normal times, a refund takes 5 to 7 business days. Now multiply that by who knows how many thousands of refunds, all at once, being processed by half the staff, all working from home. And this is not a Crystal-specific problem. Check out the boards for almost every other line and you will find the same complaints.

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

Crystal posted on their FB page, about their assurance program with refundable deposits. Immediately, many posted asking how could they assure refunds on their deposits when Crystal broke their own assurances about refunds within 90 days. Crystal never replied, but took down the whole thread. I messaged them asking the same question with no reply. I doubt they will reply here. 
    We know it is an astronomical job to process the refunds, but it still needs to be done and if they want people to trust them by laying out more money, they have to show good faith and living up to their 90 day rule would help. Certainly, Communicating   about it would be a good start.

Edited by Benita
Typo
46 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

And this is not a Crystal-specific problem. Check out the boards for almost every other line and you will find the same complaints.

I follow the Refund Roll Calls on Seabourn and Regent and both seem to be processing refunds faster than Crystal.  There are very few refunds delayed past 90 days on either SB or Regent, whereas Crystal has many.  Multiple refunds were received this past weekend by SB guests where the average wait time has been 67 days. Regent has reportedly assigned extra staff to process refunds and is handling simple deposit returns very quickly.  We cancelled open booking deposits with both SB and Crystal within days of each other.  SB refunded our monies in 24 days while we're still waiting 86 days for Crystal to act. 

On 5/14/2020 at 3:50 PM, shamansue said:

Hi Cricket,

Im a Brit & I havent & just wondered whether  you received  the port taxes refund from our "Flying Dutchman" trip ?

Cheque received at day 115.  Mailed from Miami 24 days ago.

21 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

I follow the Refund Roll Calls on Seabourn and Regent and both seem to be processing refunds faster than Crystal.  There are very few refunds delayed past 90 days on either SB or Regent, whereas Crystal has many.  Multiple refunds were received this past weekend by SB guests where the average wait time has been 67 days. Regent has reportedly assigned extra staff to process refunds and is handling simple deposit returns very quickly.  We cancelled open booking deposits with both SB and Crystal within days of each other.  SB refunded our monies in 24 days while we're still waiting 86 days for Crystal to act. 

Seabourn - Carnival Corporation

Regent - NCLHoldings

Both very large corporations with a large mass market presence and much larger staffs than Crystal. I am not excusing Crystal's performance, just trying to keep it in perspective. Having been a retail TA for almost 16 years, and been in financial services for 21 years before that, I have an understanding of the "nuts & bolts" of the process, and I can tell you neither the cruise nor credit cards systems were built to handle this insane level of transactions all at once. We received our refund from the truncated World Cruise on Day 56, but our credit card company received it on Day 35. I know this because the credit to our credit card was backdated 21 days from the day it actually appeared on our statement.

8 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Seabourn - Carnival Corporation

Regent - NCLHoldings

Both very large corporations with a large mass market presence and much larger staffs than Crystal.

Granted.  But both SB and Regent also have more vessels than Crystal with more guests affected by cancelled sailings.  Even with larger staff (which I understand are shared across the family), they've had many more refunds to process compared to Crystal yet have been able to get on top of things better.

50 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Both very large corporations with a large mass market presence and much larger staffs than Crystal.

True, but this is no excuse as far as I am concerned.  Being a much smaller operation, Crystal would not need as many staff to deal with this adequately.  Instead, they laid some off and cut the hours of the rest.  The REAL reason, IMO, is that Crystal is extremely strapped for cash.  Otherwise they would be doing a much better job and not hiding from questions about it.  They know their customers are upset about this, yet nothing changes.

I am at 89 days today for a refund that is relatively small compared to the other $$$ I have invested in 2021 & 2022 cruises.  After I get my refund tomorrow (LOL) I will calm down and be less concerned that I won't lose the other money already invested in future cruises.

I really hope that they are able to stay afloat (literally and figuratively), that their new fall itineraries work out, that WC 2021 sails in some acceptably modified form, and we can all continue to enjoy Crystal in the future.

1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

The REAL reason, IMO, is that Crystal is extremely strapped for cash.  Otherwise they would be doing a much better job and not hiding from questions about it.  They know their customers are upset about this, yet nothing changes.

Their apparent crisis communication strategy of duck and cover will likely cost them in future corporate trust. 

11 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

Granted.  But both SB and Regent also have more vessels than Crystal with more guests affected by cancelled sailings.  Even with larger staff (which I understand are shared across the family), they've had many more refunds to process compared to Crystal yet have been able to get on top of things better.

True, but their ships are also smaller than Crystal's, and you also to take into account the four river ships. I am not about to go count, but I think the total numbers of refunds processed for each line might be pretty close to equal. Just a thought. 

Edited by Roland4