Crystal still hasn't processed my 5 figure refund from a cancellation in February

Refund received today at day 107:

Cruise date - April 21, 2020

Cancelled cruise - March 9

Crystal confirmed cancellation - March 11

Refund posted to credit card today (overnight) -   day 107

I called Crystal on Monday, June 22 and was told that my refund was processed that afternoon.  The Crystal rep initially told me to contact my TA, but I insisted and she gave me the information.

Good luck to everyone waiting for a refund.

16 minutes ago, swanheaven said:

Has anyone filed a dispute with a Chase card, results?  Thanks

I filed a dispute with Chase and Citicard for another cruise line (cruise on one card, air on the other). Chase waited a week to put a conditional credit, Citicard did it right away. In my situation, my cruise was refunded around day 90 before Chase had finalized its investigation. They then cancelled the dispute. Others did have luck with their dispute where Chase did rule on their behalf. Here is the direct number for Chase dispute: 888-489-8452

I gave Crystal  a heads up that I was initiating a dispute on July 1. Their response was it would just drag out the refund process. Not sure why it would as Chase would give an immediate or almost immediate credit. Crystal would have time to dispute it and I would be charged again if they win, but as I have the credit processed notification from Crystal, I don’t see how they could contest the dispute. 

Edited by Benita
2 hours ago, Benita said:

I gave Crystal  a heads up that I was initiating a dispute on July 1. Their response was it would just drag out the refund process. Not sure why it would as Chase would give an immediate or almost immediate credit. Crystal would have time to dispute it and I would be charged again if they win, but as I have the credit processed notification from Crystal, I don’t see how they could contest the dispute. 

If I am not mistaken, credit card companies do not contact merchants directly about disputes - they contact their bank. A dispute should not effect refunds process timeline by Crystal. It looks like Crystal is trying to prevent you from filing a dispute rather than go ahead and process your refund quickly. 

With a new refund time-line extended by Crystal to 120 days, there will be more disputed credit card transactions.

I had to dispute Cunard and Chase resolved in 2 weeks in my favor. I notified Cunard about filing a dispute. Cunard apologized during my call and must have reacted quickly.

I also had to file a dispute with the Citicard when Iceland Air did not process a promised refund in over 2 months. According to Iceland publications, Iceland Air might go out of business.

I got a conditional credit in 2 days but have to wait 45 days that Visa gives merchants to reply. Any day now😊.

Edited by Sdancer

Honestly as I read through this thread, the fact that so many customers have been forced to file claims through their credit card companies in order to secure their promised refunds after waiting patiently for 90 days is just absolutely shameful on Crystal's part.  IMHO this is really damaging their brand....what can they possibly be thinking?

1 hour ago, morneau said:

Honestly as I read through this thread, the fact that so many customers have been forced to file claims through their credit card companies in order to secure their promised refunds after waiting patiently for 90 days is just absolutely shameful on Crystal's part.  IMHO this is really damaging their brand....what can they possibly be thinking?

Good question! 

Crystal acts like they have nothing to lose by damaging their brand, customer support and good standing with their bank. It is a bad sign no matter how to look at it.

I regret having two bookings in 2022, made before the pandemic.

We were planning to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary with my son’s family.  

Crystal behaves like it  might not be around for too long.

I looked up our sailing and the availability is wide open.

I would  not feel confident to make new bookings with Crystal  nowadays.

Edited by Sdancer

1 hour ago, morneau said:

I have several scenarios:

1. Our money is an interest free loan, and they want to hold onto it as long as possible. 

2. Crystal is struggling to stay afloat and giving back as slowly as possible to maintain some cash reserves. 

3. They refuse to train anybody new  as to how to process the refunds because the  one person who could do it was kidnapped by pirates ( My attempt at humor)

4. They read these boards and see how many loyalists will put up with anything. 

5 minutes ago, Sdancer said:

Good question! 

Crystal acts like they have nothing to lose by damaging their brand, customer support and good standing with their bank. It is a bad sign no matter how to look at it.

I regret having two booking in 2022, made before the pandemic.

We were planning to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary with my son’s family.  

Crystal behaves like it  might not be around soon.

Other lines are similar, sadly. I waited 90 days with another line and the refund was inaccurate so I am still waiting (110 days later or so) for the remaining amount.

13 minutes ago, Coral said:

Other lines are similar, sadly. I waited 90 days with another line and the refund was inaccurate so I am still waiting (110 days later or so) for the remaining amount.

I cancelled 4 cruises on the same day: 3 Oceania and 1 Crystal.

I got 3 refunds after 60 days from Oceania. 

There is still no refund from Crystal after over 90 days.

Crystal now claims 120 days for refund.

What??? When did they say 120 days?  And Crystal cheerleaders will still cheer even though for many of us it is over 90 days (which some here said, don’t fuss or worry about your refund until after 90 days).  120 days?  Source please.

23 minutes ago, Benita said:

1. Our money is an interest free loan, and they want to hold onto it as long as possible. 

2. Crystal is struggling to stay afloat and giving back as slowly as possible to maintain some cash reserves. 

3. They refuse to train anybody new  as to how to process the refunds because the  one person who could do it was kidnapped by pirates ( My attempt at humor)

4. They read these boards and see how many loyalists will put up with anything. 

Answer, #1 and #2.  They refuse to train anybody new because then the money would be able to get out the door faster, so #3 is partly right.  😉

The number of Crystal cheerleaders in diminishing, and if Crystal is reading the refund threads, they will see many previously loyal customers saying they will not sail with Crystal again.  It takes a lot of atta-boys to make up for one oops, and this is a big oops.  They probably care about this, but not enough to over-ride your reasons #1 and #2.

5 minutes ago, cruisr said:

What??? When did they say 120 days?  And Crystal cheerleaders will still cheer even though for many of us it is over 90 days (which some here said, don’t fuss or worry about your refund until after 90 days).  120 days?  Source please.

Recent posts somewhere on this Crystal forum that the posters' TAs were told by Crystal that it is now 120 days.  The Crystal website still says 90 days in an update from 6/18/20.  But obviously many people are now over 90 days, and at least one got the refund at 122 days.

2 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Please see my post #375 in detail .

120 days came straight from the horse’s mouth, the Crystal supervisor 😊

19 minutes ago, Sdancer said:

I cancelled 4 cruises on the same day: 3 Oceania and 1 Crystal.

I got 3 refunds after 60 days from Oceania. 

There is still no refund from Crystal after over 90 days.

Crystal now claims 120 days for refund.

Oceania has done well. NCL Holdings did secure funds (I think $2 billion) to get past COVID-19. I don't know what Genting has done. I am sure it is earlier in the thread. Just saying other lines didn't do anything for the first 60 days and 90 days is not unheard of in the cruise industry. Sadly.

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

Oceania has done well. NCL Holdings did secure funds (I think $2 billion) to get past COVID-19. I don't know what Genting has done. I am sure it is earlier in the thread. Just saying other lines didn't do anything for the first 60 days and 90 days is not unheard of in the cruise industry. Sadly.

What about Crystal extending to 120 days?

Do you happen to work for the cruise industry? In PR?

You have over 32k posts and no info in your profile.

Edited by Sdancer

The latest guidance on refund processing was issued by Crystal on June 18. 

https://www.crystalcruises.com/corona-virus-health-advisory/issuance-of-cruise-refunds

They still say 90 days but acknowledge that "there are occasional exceptions to this timeline that may exceed 90 days".  A quick look at the Refund Roll Call spreadsheet shows that these exceptions are more the norm, at least for the small sample that reported.  Many who received their refunds waited at least 90 days and several others are still waiting well beyond 100 days.  It's amazing that Crystal seems to lag so far behind and still has claims dating back to early March.  It's unbelievable that these are not yet processed if they really have their attention firmly set on resolving each claim within the 90-day timeframe. 

No.  It's apparent that Crystal is not committed to 90 days.  They are holding on to cash as long as they can or until a merchant chargeback forces their hand.  Their behavior and lack of honest communication is shameful.

15 minutes ago, Sdancer said:

What about Crystal extending to 120 days?

Do you happen to work for the cruise industry? In PR?

You have over 32k posts and no info in your profile.

What info do you want in my profile????!

I am following the Princess boards as I had a 30 day cruise with them in which it took 90 days to get most of my money back. I am still waiting for a couple of hundred dollars and am at 110 days for that. There are people on Princess boards that are past 110 days. Surprisingly, many of these had March cruises booked. So those who had their cruises cancelled first are still waiting. There are also those who were intransit on cruises when the shut-down happened and are still waiting for those expenses. Those individuals are probably at 120 days.

By no means do I work in the cruise industry or PR. If you read my posts, you will see I can be quite critical when necessary. I am just stating the facts that other lines have 90 days plus waiting times. It is a fact - Crystal is not alone in this.

I think part of the concern is that the Big 3 cruise corporations have received infusions of cash from various sources and this has been widely reported.  That may give Some people a little comfort.  What Genting does does not get widely reported.  People may be more concerned about their solvency, or at least, the future of Crystal.

6 hours ago, Benita said:

It will not drag it out and you receive an immediate credit on your account whilst it is investigated.  They are saying it will drag it out by having you continue in the waiting room.

An email from the Crystal President & CEO with an apology and reasons for delayed refunds arrived in my inbox  an hour ago. Everyone waiting for refunds must have received it.

I wish Crystal would do it sooner but better later then never😊.

Edited by Sdancer
3 hours ago, oakridger said:

No email for me.  

Nor for me. I went into my account with Crystal and reregistered my email information several weeks ago. Crickets. Oh, well, I get all the information I need here.

Patty

Still nothing- called again Friday,on hold for over an hour and didn't connect. The only contact has been the form letter when you ask for status on refund. 111days and counting!

I hope that if there are people thinking about booking a future Crystal cruise that they read these boards. You would have to be out of your mind to send them $! Shame on any Crystal cheerleader who continues w/ Crystal.

Look at Viking, Regent,Azamara and Oceania - all Pros and very classy how they treated their customers when the chips were down!

11 hours ago, Sdancer said:

An email from the Crystal President & CEO with an apology and reasons for delayed refunds arrived in my inbox  an hour ago. Everyone waiting for refunds must have received it.

I wish Crystal would do it sooner but better later then never😊.

It is disappointing that others did not receive this letter.

It was dated June 26, yesterday, and already late in the delayed refund process as is.

The letter said that refund delays will continue throughout the summer☹️