Crystal still hasn't processed my 5 figure refund from a cancellation in February

On 4/6/2020 at 12:51 PM, Travel2Learn said:

---Have 3 world cruises booked.  A few weeks ago I canceled 2 other cruises for 2021 and 2022.  No refunds received.  The total is far more than I wish to simply write off.  

---No compensation received for ending this year's world cruise.  Although, I expect this to take longer than refunds for 2 canceled cruises.  

We have not received a refund ...more than 100 days.  Considering going back to our credit card company and disputing the charge.

17 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

My S-in-L got the e-mail but we didn't.  Two possible reasons I can think of and there may be more:  they have sailed with Crystal before and we haven't.  It was a booking for four of us (two cabins) which they made and Crystal may not have our e-mail address.

We got this e mail this is too little too late.  I do not know how anyone will travel with them again.  You need to keep past customers happy not use them as your bank.

I have not previously posted on the topic of refunds in this thread or the other related threads because I believed that Crystal would honor its commitment to refund what was owed to me within 90 days of receiving my request.  I had paid approximately $48000. for 6 of us to cruise on the July 19, 2020 Venice to Rome cruise on Serenity.  The refund statement from Crystal is dated April 1, 2020 (please, no April Fools Day jokes).

From Mr. Wolber's letter it is obvious that I will not be receiving my refund within the 90 days promised. It is also obvious to me that Crystal must be having a financial crunch, otherwise we would all have received refunds promptly, say within 30 days, rather than first being told we would need to wait 90 days.  I have to agree with the other posters on this thread and other threads that this is no way to treat customers, let alone my group of 6 loyal Crystal customers,  who have each been on 12 previous Crystal cruises.  As I have waited nearly 90 days at this point, I will give Crystal another 30 days before asking Chase to refund the total charge made on my credit card.  

Will this make me say that I will not cruise on Crystal again?  "No", because I love almost everything about cruising on Symphony and Serenity, but especially the crew and how they treat my friends and myself every time we are on board.  

However, given what is happening with the refund process, I am not confident that Crystal will be in business for much longer.

Marc

8 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Sounds a lot like "I'll never fly XYZ Airlines again".  That is, until something attractive comes along.

First let's see if Crystal is still around in 2021 or 2022. I personally doubt it.

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

First let's see if Crystal is still around in 2021 or 2022. I personally doubt it.

Two points:

1) Right now, I'm more concerned with whether or not I'll be around in 2021/22.

2) If we all are, and there is a Crystal cruise line in 2022, I suspect the last thing impacting their booking levels will be timeliness of refunds in 2020.

3 hours ago, Roland4 said:

"The Sky is Falling, the Sky is Falling"!!!

NO, the sky is not falling - only my trust in Crystal has already fallen.

I got 2 Viking river deposits in THREE days, 1 American cruises refund in 1 month,

3 Oceania deposits (@$1500 each) at 43 days and 1 fully paid cruise (over $23K) in 53 days.

Why should I be understanding & forgiving for Crystal to hold my significant amount of money for 120+ days - can you please explain? How are those others able to do it but Crystal can't

16 hours ago, rjsretired said:

We have not received a refund ...more than 100 days.  Considering going back to our credit card company and disputing the charge.

I would. They obviously aren’t doing well. Try to get it while you can.

4 hours ago, Mwgw said:

I would. They obviously aren’t doing well. Try to get it while you can.

While I think it's a good idea to file a claim, Crystal going out of business has no bearing on it. Even if they go bankrupt, your CC will refund you money for services not delivered (and probably the whole amount you paid w/o any penalties and admin fees).

There aren’t too many companies these days without some financial difficulties   

just imagine if the prior Crystal president was still in charge. She’d be bragging about slowest refunds in the business and then she’d buy 4 more airplanes

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

While I think it's a good idea to file a claim, Crystal going out of business has no bearing on it. Even if they go bankrupt, your CC will refund you money for services not delivered (and probably the whole amount you paid w/o any penalties and admin fees).

We did file a claim with the credit card company.  They were very understanding.  We have waited long enough.

The industry will look very different when they are finally up and running.  It is a shame that this happened.  They were doing so well and we were having such a good time

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

just imagine if the prior Crystal president was still in charge. She’d be bragging about slowest refunds in the business and then she’d buy 4 more airplanes

You forgot about a couple of articles how she still had her luxury travel bag at her first class seat, while on her way to buying a few more river boats, including some that are too big for the rivers.  And don't forget establishing a command post at the "lifestyle" model in Miami.

12 hours ago, SusieQft said:

They will have plenty of bookings in 2022, if only because there are so many FCCs out there to use up.

AS THE PANDEMIC WANES, FCC USAGE WILL BECOME A LIVELY CRUISE CRITIC TOPIC:

The total dollar value of a company's outstanding FCCs is a financial liability.  As FCCs are either used or expire, the liability is cleared.  Whenever they are used instead of cash,  they'll reduce incoming cash flow.

Once the pandemic wanes, supply of staterooms is likely to substantially exceed demand, unless capacity has declined by then.  Assuming price setting will occur in a competitive "buyer's market",  those who have FCCs will initially want to cash them in.   Most of the cruise lines will have to figure out how to obtain sufficient incoming cash flow while honoring their former guests' FCCs. 

Edited by Jim9310
wording
20 minutes ago, Jim9310 said:

AS THE PANDEMIC WANES, FCC USAGE WILL BECOME A LIVELY CRUISE CRITIC TOPIC:

The total dollar value of a company's outstanding FCCs is a financial liability.  As FCCs are either used or expire, the liability is cleared.  Whenever they are used instead of cash,  they'll reduce incoming cash flow.

Once the pandemic wanes, supply of staterooms is likely to substantially exceed demand, unless capacity has declined by then.  Assuming price setting will occur in a competitive "buyer's market",  those who have FCCs will initially want to cash them in.   Most of the cruise lines will have to figure out how to obtain sufficient incoming cash flow while honoring their former guests' FCCs. 

The cruiselines that do survive will also be raising their prices to try to stay afloat (no pun intended).  The $ value of a FCC is a fixed amount.  Even with a 25% bonus the owner of the FCC may end up spending more out of pocket if the cruise price goes up more than that.

6 minutes ago, cruisr said:

The cruiselines that do survive will also be raising their prices to try to stay afloat (no pun intended).  The $ value of a FCC is a fixed amount.  Even with a 25% bonus the owner of the FCC may end up spending more out of pocket if the cruise price goes up more than that.

Please notice that I said "unless capacity has declined by then", since you are assuming that will happen.   Because you pointed out that "the $ value of a FCC is a fixed amount", I'll point out that inflation of costs could erode the value of an FCC, but that's only a remote potential issue right now.

As prices are set, there will also be two types of customers:  those with FCCs and those who will pay all in cash.  Those with cash are the best customers to attract, but they're likely to consider voyages on more than one cruise line.

22 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Already seeing that generally, especially in the River segment, but also in Ocean. There were many, including me, who thought the lines would respond post-COVID in the same way they did post-2008, with major discounting and promotions. Not happening. So far pricing levels for 2021 and 2022 itineraries across the lines I have looked at are remaining stable, with lines mostly giving away "perks" while protecting their price points. Business remains almost comatose, but all four of the bookings I have had where an FCC was used, the price has exceeded the FCC. 

I wonder if there may be discounting later, after they compare bookings with the likely reduced number of passengers who will fit within whatever social distancing guidelines will apply.

Roy

7 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Are you assuming that the CC will refund after a company has filed for bankruptcy Or do you know for a fact they will? If a company files for bankruptcy the chances of the CC recovering the payments on behalf of their customer is slim and if the amount is large are they legally obligated to still credit your account? Just curious.

I am happy to report that I finally got my full refund (less the $100 per person admin fee) on June 24th (posting date of June 26) so that was 108 days after I officially got the cancellation confirmation from Crystal.  I did dispute the charge in late June plus wrote a letter plus called Crystal numerous times so not sure what eventually did the trick or perhaps my number just got called up on that refund day but nevertheless it is showing with Chase so I'm good for now.  What I haven't decided on yet is whether I will ever sail with Crystal again.  They were definitely my cruise line of choice and I had such confidence in them that I had paid a $500 per person deposit towards a TBD future cruise but right now the disappointment is still acute so not booking anything for now.  Also have to see how the cruise lines change as a result of all of this.

7 hours ago, ctjon said:

Just out of curiosity, what has happened to the two planes -- the business jet and the wide body?  Are they still flying with Crystal livery?  Are they often in the air?  

8 minutes ago, Observer said:

Just out of curiosity, what has happened to the two planes -- the business jet and the wide body?  Are they still flying with Crystal livery?  Are they often in the air?  

Perhaps you can do a google search for the answers

Nancy 

49 minutes ago, ScarlettMick said:

I am happy to report that I finally got my full refund (less the $100 per person admin fee) on June 24th (posting date of June 26) so that was 108 days after I officially got the cancellation confirmation from Crystal.  I did dispute the charge in late June plus wrote a letter plus called Crystal numerous times so not sure what eventually did the trick or perhaps my number just got called up on that refund day but nevertheless it is showing with Chase so I'm good for now.  What I haven't decided on yet is whether I will ever sail with Crystal again.  They were definitely my cruise line of choice and I had such confidence in them that I had paid a $500 per person deposit towards a TBD future cruise but right now the disappointment is still acute so not booking anything for now.  Also have to see how the cruise lines change as a result of all of this.

Are you sure the refund was from Crystal and not Chase giving you the credit?

1 hour ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Are you assuming that the CC will refund after a company has filed for bankruptcy Or do you know for a fact they will? If a company files for bankruptcy the chances of the CC recovering the payments on behalf of their customer is slim and if the amount is large are they legally obligated to still credit your account? Just curious.

I was told the same thing by Chase when I inquired about the process of filing a dispute which I will be filing tomorrow if I can get through to the Dispute Department.  

Carole

Edited by caroak