Jump to content

Crystal still hasn't processed my 5 figure refund from a cancellation in February


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, caroak said:

 

I was told the same thing by Chase when I inquired about the process of filing a dispute which I will be filing tomorrow if I can get through to the Dispute Department.  

 

Carole

I was told that, too. Persevere, Carole. I got through to the dispute department today after a 20 minute hold. If it is the Chase Freedom card,  the number is 888-489-8452, which will let you bypass the usual customer service line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Observer said:

Just out of curiosity, what has happened to the two planes -- the business jet and the wide body?  Are they still flying with Crystal livery?  Are they often in the air?  

 

Can't speak to the 777 other than a report that it's in Indianapolis, but the Bombardier Global Express has been a bit busy.  Since mid-June, it made the following flights:

 

June 15   Istanbul to Newark

June 16   Newark to White Plains

June 18   White Plains to Teterboro

June 18   Teterboro to Riga (Latvia)

June 21   Riga to Dubrovnik

June 22   Dubrovnik to Detroit

June 22   Detroit to Dallas Love

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Benita said:

I was told that, too. Persevere, Carole. I got through to the dispute department today after a 20 minute hold. If it is the Chase Freedom card,  the number is 888-489-8452, which will let you bypass the usual customer service line.

 

Just a personal observation....you might want to reconsider using the Chase Freedom card for large purchases such as a cruise.  Though you get a 1% cash back, there are many other cards that will give you far better return on your credit card spend. I'm talking about general spend...their 5% on selected categories is nice, though limited to $1500 in purchases per quarter - which would be easily maxed out on even deposits for Crystal.

 

Of course, YMMV.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

 

Can't speak to the 777 other than a report that it's in Indianapolis, but the Bombardier Global Express has been a bit busy.  Since mid-June, it made the following flights:

 

June 15   Istanbul to Newark

June 16   Newark to White Plains

June 18   White Plains to Teterboro

June 18   Teterboro to Riga (Latvia)

June 21   Riga to Dubrovnik

June 22   Dubrovnik to Detroit

June 22   Detroit to Dallas Love

 

 

 

Thanks very much.  Interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

 

Just a personal observation....you might want to reconsider using the Chase Freedom card for large purchases such as a cruise.  Though you get a 1% cash back, there are many other cards that will give you far better return on your credit card spend. I'm talking about general spend...their 5% on selected categories is nice, though limited to $1500 in purchases per quarter - which would be easily maxed out on even deposits for Crystal.

 

Of course, YMMV.

I dont have a premium subscription to Flightaware.com so I could not check the 777 but apparently it is now flying cargo.  Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

https://www.businessinsider.com/crystal-cruises-boeing-777-crystal-skye-flying-cargo-charter-flights-2020-4

Link to post
Share on other sites

HMy deposit refund amount is not large. In my case I can wait and not get stressed out.

I am less than 3 weeks away from the newly promised deadline of 120 days.

Crystal assured our travel agency that the refund is in a queue and will be processed, though with a delay.

 

I have decided not to file a dispute at this time and get my mind freed by marking  121st day about the refund on the calendar, the stress-management technique from the class I took in the 80s😊.

 

The whole situation with all the refund processing is disappointing, but Crystal has the best on board customer experience and I have great memories.

I hope that Serenity and Symphony survive under the Crystal brand.

I would not book now but, unfortunately, I already have 2 bookings made  before the pandemic for 2022.

I was looking forward to introducing our grandson to Alaska on Serenity.

If I cancel now, there is $1000  cancelation fee ($200 pp) for 2022. Future bookings lost any appeal:(.

 

Getting upset about delayed refunds does not help and does not speed it up.

 

It took 45 days for Visa to make my temporary refund permanent - Iceland Air dispute. But getting a conditional refund right away is  comforting.

Visa gives merchants 45 days to reply to disputes. Iceland Air did not reply and I had to wait full 45 days.

I had to dispute Iceland Air transaction because it turned out to be the only way to get a promised refund from them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Sdancer
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

 

Just a personal observation....you might want to reconsider using the Chase Freedom card for large purchases such as a cruise.  Though you get a 1% cash back, there are many other cards that will give you far better return on your credit card spend. I'm talking about general spend...their 5% on selected categories is nice, though limited to $1500 in purchases per quarter - which would be easily maxed out on even deposits for Crystal.

 

Of course, YMMV.

I agree 100%. I usually use the Chase Sapphire Reserve for travel as it gives 3x points in the Ultimate Rewards  Program. The Chase  Freedom only  gives 1.5x points- I use them for United Airlines tickets or upgrades. When I booked the Crystal Cruise, the Freedom card had a promotion with Crystal and gave us 10% cash back in addition to the 1.5x points. I think the promotion capped out at $1000. 
     
   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Are you assuming that the CC will refund after a company has filed for bankruptcy Or do you know for a fact they will? If a company files for bankruptcy the chances of the CC recovering the payments on behalf of their customer is slim and if the amount is large are they legally obligated to still credit your account? Just curious.

I am not a lawyer but this is not different from any other unauthorized charges to your card - CC will not recover the charges but will cover you.

What may be a large amount to you is a drop in a bucket to CC company.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScarlettMick said:

No I am not sure and quite frankly I don't care as long as I get the credit.

If it is from Chase and not from Crystal, it is only temporary pending the results of their investigation.  In this case, the investigation will probably go in your favor, but often credit card investigations are decided in favor of the merchant.  If that happens, you have to pay the money back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScarlettMick said:

No I am not sure and quite frankly I don't care as long as I get the credit.

 

5 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

If it is from Chase and not from Crystal, it is only temporary pending the results of their investigation.  In this case, the investigation will probably go in your favor, but often credit card investigations are decided in favor of the merchant.  If that happens, you have to pay the money back.

 

As with so much, the devil is in the details.

 

For everyone - if you are receiving a credit to your credit card, be sure to see how it is coded.  Is it a refund transaction or just a temp credit while your chargeback is being investigated and processed? For they are not the same.  I hope that it's the former but keep your eyes open.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Benita said:

I was told that, too. Persevere, Carole. I got through to the dispute department today after a 20 minute hold. If it is the Chase Freedom card,  the number is 888-489-8452, which will let you bypass the usual customer service line.

 

I have the same phone number for my Chase Sapphire Reserve card.  Hope my hold time is only 20 minutes.  What documentation do they require when filing a dispute? 

 

Carole

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

 

 

As with so much, the devil is in the details.

 

For everyone - if you are receiving a credit to your credit card, be sure to see how it is coded.  Is it a refund transaction or just a temp credit while your chargeback is being investigated and processed? For they are not the same.  I hope that it's the former but keep your eyes open.

i’m pretty sure in my case that it is a refund as the amount is not the full fare that was charged on the account and I was disputing but less by the $100 per person “admin” fee that I was told I would be charged.  In addition, it is coded as a return which is how my other refunds (not from Crystal ) are coded.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ScarlettMick said:

i’m pretty sure in my case that it is a refund as the amount is not the full fare that was charged on the account and I was disputing but less by the $100 per person “admin” fee that I was told I would be charged.  In addition, it is coded as a return which is how my other refunds (not from Crystal ) are coded.  

 

You're right.  If the credit was a merchant charge back, the amount would be for the full amount of your initial cc charge.  But since the amount credited to you is net $100 pp, it certainly seems to be a refund from Crystal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

But since the amount credited to you is net $100 pp, it certainly seems to be a refund from Crystal.

I am not familiar with Crystal T&Cs but my cruise booked in Feb 2019 would charge a me a $200/person cancellation fee.

I am reading here people are being charged $100/pp fee. What is the difference?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

I am not familiar with Crystal T&Cs but my cruise booked in Feb 2019 would charge a me a $200/person cancellation fee.

I am reading here people are being charged $100/pp fee. What is the difference?

I was told by my travel agent that the fee was $200 but in early March, like the week I cancelled, they lowered the fee because of the circumstances and the number of people cancelling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ScarlettMick said:

I was told by my travel agent that the fee was $200 but in early March, like the week I cancelled, they lowered the fee because of the circumstances and the number of people cancelling.

Thank you.

I sure hope that they did this for me as well - we’ll see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I am not familiar with Crystal T&Cs but my cruise booked in Feb 2019 would charge a me a $200/person cancellation fee.

I am reading here people are being charged $100/pp fee. What is the difference?

 

Crystal charges an admin fee that varies depending on length of voyage (days) and type of sailing (ocean, river, yacht).  Here is the 2020-2022 schedule of fees for ocean cruises.  Best to check the website for current info as the situation is fluid.

OCEAN: Administration Fee


 

 

 

   

Voyages 13 days or less:
121+ days prior to first date of service: $100 (thru 2021) / $200 (begins 2022)

 

2020 & 2021 Voyages 14 -21 days:
151+ days prior to first date of service: $200 (thru 2021) / $300 (begins 2022)


Voyages 22 days or longer
181+ days prior to first date of service: $500

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ScarlettMick said:

I was told by my travel agent that the fee was $200 but in early March, like the week I cancelled, they lowered the fee because of the circumstances and the number of people cancelling.

 

42 minutes ago, ScarlettMick said:

I was told by my travel agent that the fee was $200 but in early March, like the week I cancelled, they lowered the fee because of the circumstances and the number of people cancelling.

There was no fee until 2020. The fee for 2020 and 2021 is $100 pp.

The fee for 2022 is $200 pp.

It is for ocean cruises of less than 14 days. Longer voyages have higher penalty.

Crystal website would have a complete cancelation  policy plus each booking confirmation has pertinent cancelation data.

I am not aware if other cruise lines have these penalty charges.

I know that Oceania and Cunard do not penalize for any advance cancelations.

Edited by Sdancer
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, caroak said:

 

I have the same phone number for my Chase Sapphire Reserve card.  Hope my hold time is only 20 minutes.  What documentation do they require when filing a dispute? 

 

Carole

 

The Chase representative wanted dates- date of sailing, date of cancellation, and dates that I ( or my travel agent) contacted Crystal. He wanted to know how I found out about the cancellation and what means I used to ask for a refund. I told him I had all the emails from my travel agent. I told him I also had the email I sent to Crystal asking about the refund delay (at about day 95) and the automated reply that somebody would get back to me. When he heard that nobody got back to me, he was satisfied with the claim and immediately gave a provisional credit and said Chase would take it over from here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have read a couple of articles in other press that refunds are a big issue for many people associated with cancelled cruises.  Not sure, from reading, what detail and accuracy but it sure seems as if it isn't just Crystal disappointing their customers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ctjon said:

Have read a couple of articles in other press that refunds are a big issue for many people associated with cancelled cruises.  Not sure, from reading, what detail and accuracy but it sure seems as if it isn't just Crystal disappointing their customers.

 

Doesn't matter what other companies are doing....don't you know the mantra is  "I want MY money".

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

 

Doesn't matter what other companies are doing....don't you know the mantra is  "I want MY money".

Well, it does matter what others are doing as people are comparing their Crystal experience with others for the future.

I have posted it here before

1) Viking river - 2 deposits refunded in 3 days

2)American cruises in 1 month

3) Oceania - 3 deposits of $1500 each in 43 days and 1 fully paid cruise over$23K in 53 days.

I am still waiting for a refund from Seabourn (125 days+) & Crystal - nothing says luxury like treating your customers like cr^p

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Benita said:

The Chase representative wanted dates- date of sailing, date of cancellation, and dates that I ( or my travel agent) contacted Crystal. He wanted to know how I found out about the cancellation and what means I used to ask for a refund. I told him I had all the emails from my travel agent. I told him I also had the email I sent to Crystal asking about the refund delay (at about day 95) and the automated reply that somebody would get back to me. When he heard that nobody got back to me, he was satisfied with the claim and immediately gave a provisional credit and said Chase would take it over from here. 

 

Thanks, Benita.  This is helpful and I'll be prepared when I call.  We cancelled our 2 cruises before Crystal did but sounds like basically the same info.  I thought they might require me to send them documentation.  I'll be calling shortly and will post how it goes.

 

Carole

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...