Crystal still hasn't processed my 5 figure refund from a cancellation in February

We just received a check from Crystal today for the missed port charges from our January Symphony Cruise-to-nowhere (well, cruise ending in Singapore.) The check is dated 4/6/20.

Rob

Edited by ryndam

It appears that everyone on the Flying Dutchman cruise in February that ended in Singapore on Feb. 15 got their refund check today for taxes and port fees that weren't used when we didn't dock any place! Now, as long as the check clears the bank!! 😎

Patty

P.S. Hadn't seen Rob's post before I wrote mine.

Edited by Texas Tillie
18 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

It appears that everyone on the Flying Dutchman cruise in February that ended in Singapore on Feb. 15 got their refund check today for taxes and port fees that weren't used when we didn't dock any place! Now, as long as the check clears the bank!! 😎

Patty

P.S. Hadn't seen Rob's post before I wrote mine.

Why shouldn’t the check be good? In the last time your posts are  doubting about Crystal financial capabilities. Do you have any inside knowledge that we don’t have? It would be nice if you can share it with us.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
23 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Why shouldn’t the check be good? In the last time your posts are  doubting about Crystal financial capabilities. Do you have any inside knowledge that we don’t have? It would be nice if you can share it with us.

Ivi

Perhaps you don't understand the use of emojis Those are the funny faces posted at the end of the sentence. They are used to indicate a joke. You have obviously taken my posts much more seriously then they are intended. I have no knowledge of Crystal's financial situation, but I can't imagine that they or any other cruise line, is in great shape now.

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Why shouldn’t the check be good?  It would be nice if you can share it with us.

Ivi

This is the second refund check that we have received from Crystal. Both written against their same bank account. Both checks have cleared without any issues. 

Rob

9 minutes ago, ryndam said:

This is the second refund check that we have received from Crystal. Both written against their same bank account. Both checks have cleared without any issues. 

Rob

Thanks Rob. I had no doubt, that it was going to be like that.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

I remember how years back, folks would be breathlessly awaiting the arrival of the green leather folder with all of the cruise documents.

Now, perhaps, that same anticipation - but for refund checks.

🙂

4 hours ago, ryndam said:

We just received a check from Crystal today for the missed port charges from our January Symphony Cruise-to-nowhere (well, cruise ending in Singapore.) The check is dated 4/6/20.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Do you mind sharing what the $ amount was.

Live in the UK  & not sure whether its worth chasing my TA regarding this

Sue

12 minutes ago, shamansue said:

Hi Rob,

Sue

Sue, I'm not totally sure about this, but from reading other posts from UK cruisers, it appears as though the Conditions of Contract are different for US-based guests vs. UK-based guests, especially as it relates to port charges/fees/taxes. From what I understand, the pricing "bundling" is different and UK-based guests may not be eligible for this refund. Best to contact your TA anyway. 

Rob

8 hours ago, shamansue said:

Hi Rob,

Sue

You should be eligible for a refund. In the past, I have had refunds credited to my on board account for missed ports and I as you know am from the UK 🙂

16 hours ago, shamansue said:

Hi Rob,

Sue

Don't know if this helps, but advertised port fees were $650.  

1 hour ago, crickette said:

Don't know if this helps, but advertised port fees were $650.  

We got $20 credited to our on board account from missing Saipan (before it turned into the Flying Dutchman cruise!) and the check is for $630, so all is good and correct!!

Patty

On 4/6/2020 at 8:23 PM, resistk said:

I cancelled outside the 90 day window and am entitled to 75% refund.  If Crystal tries to keep it, I will fight them every way possible.  I need the money a lot more than they do and worked hard to earn it.

If Crystal tires to keep the deposit  in obvious violation of their contract it will probably mean they need the money a lot more than you do.  You lose a vacation or holiday as the money was already spent for that purpose; they are probably trying to preserve their very existence.

1 hour ago, Wonderingabout said:

If Crystal tires to keep the deposit  in obvious violation of their contract it will probably mean they need the money a lot more than you do.  You lose a vacation or holiday as the money was already spent for that purpose; they are probably trying to preserve their very existence.

I'm not sure how you decide whether a passenger has or does not have the need for the refundable deposit they paid.  There are many who prefer the preservation of their cruiseline but others might prefer that money for another non-cruise vacation or something else.  Of course delays should be assumed at the moment and patience is important.  JMO  Cherie

18 hours ago, Wonderingabout said:

It would mean they are in default of their contract, nothing less, nothing more.  Basically they would be the same as any other debtor.  I need money too, does that mean I don't have to pay my taxes or car payments?

Edited by resistk
On 4/17/2020 at 4:32 PM, cccole said:

I'm not sure how you decide whether a passenger has or does not have the need for the refundable deposit they paid.  There are many who prefer the preservation of their cruiseline but others might prefer that money for another non-cruise vacation or something else.  Of course delays should be assumed at the moment and patience is important.  JMO  Cherie

On 4/18/2020 at 8:44 AM, resistk said:

It would mean they are in default of their contract, nothing less, nothing more.  Basically they would be the same as any other debtor.  I need money too, does that mean I don't have to pay my taxes or car payments?

If the deposit money was so necessary  to the depositor  ie to pay taxes or car payments then why deposit it on a purely discretionery option of a vacation on a cruise ship.  I did make one presumption, that the depositor is no fool.  But then again a fool and his money are soon parted.

Default on a contract is not a little matter of nothing more or nothing less.  Default on a contract is something far more.  Something more in that the party they default on can and probably will sue them.  And given the numbers of both deposits and depositors it is likely to be a class action lawsuit.   That their reputation going forward will be negatively affected and future  sales negatively affected.  That to not comply with their contractual obligations, if non-compliance prior to the lawsuit will likely result in their paying not only the deposit but damages of losing the lawsuit, and their own attorney costs to defend the lawsuit or declaring bankruptcy.  This is a little more than flipping a coin with heads we pay the depositors and tails we don't.  

The economic conditions for the passenger may have also changed drastically in the last month or so. Many have lost jobs temporary ot permanent and many have lost a lot of savings in stock market. Every thing is changing 

3 hours ago, ctjon said:

The economic conditions for the passenger may have also changed drastically in the last month or so. Many have lost jobs temporary ot permanent and many have lost a lot of savings in stock market. Every thing is changing 

Having difficulty feeling sorry for those that booked a discretionary expense like a cruise  and not having a sizeable emergency fund. Hopefully they learn a valuable lesson. Those that are losing money in the stock market because they need to sell to make ends meet should also be learning a valuable lesson. Those that can not wait 60 or 90 days for a refund on a completely discretionary expense should never have booked in the first place. Finance 101. IMHO

14 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Having difficulty feeling sorry for those that booked a discretionary expense like a cruise  and not having a sizeable emergency fund. Hopefully they learn a valuable lesson. Those that are losing money in the stock market because they need to sell to make ends meet should also be learning a valuable lesson. Those that can not wait 60 or 90 days for a refund on a completely discretionary expense should never have booked in the first place. Finance 101. IMHO

Seeing as you’re handing out free tuition...

What’s your Doctorate in?

How long one waits for a refund for monies paid is not the same as taking a calculated risk in investing in the stock market, which by the way only crystalises paper losses if one needs to sell when the market is down 

If I was confident that Crystal would deliver my various refunds within 90 days of cancellation, I would be willing to front them more money in the form of new booking deposits.  Unfortunately I am not there yet and am disinclined to throw good money after bad.  I am risk averse at this juncture, but really do want to cruise again.

40 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Maybe Crystal will take note and put your refund to the bottom of the pile as you don't appear to mind waiting.

11 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Seeing as you’re handing out free tuition...

What’s your Doctorate in?

How long one waits for a refund for monies paid is not the same as taking a calculated risk in investing in the stock market, which by the way only crystalises paper losses if one needs to sell when the market is down 

I have a lot of respect for your opinions offered on previous posts so not sure what you are saying. I was responding to a post that was offering an opinion on why people may be struggling and needing the refund sooner. I may have misunderstood the post but I am surprised that those that can afford Crystal but are concerned with getting monies previously paid returned, think they are losing money when it was already spent, so they have not really lost the money only the lost experience of taking the cruise.

I was also responding to the statement that many have lost a lot of savings in the stock market. As a financial planner and advisor, if you have to sell non-cash risky investments in a down market, they are not paper losses but real losses because of improper asset location or Asset allocation.

I too am waiting for a substantial refund for a cancelled cruise that I hope Crystal will be able to refund, but if not I will still sleep well. Yes free tuition for what it may or may not be worth! I will now get off my soap box and have a glass of wine.