Jump to content

Crystal still hasn't processed my 5 figure refund from a cancellation in February


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, roger b said:

I can't understand why there are all these complaints and people waiting ,there is one answer file a credit card dispute then you will know you will get your money unless Crystal go broke !!  

 

I completely agree. This is excellent advice and at this point, the best advice for those who can (not sure  if this works if you are from other countries). I did this at 60 day mark and it was a huge relief off of my shoulder when I did it. I wish I had done it at 30 days. One dispute was decided in my favor and the other was resolved before the dispute was decided. 

 

 

Edited by Coral
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, roger b said:

 

Roger B,

You added your reply at the end of my post as it was a part of my post and left your space for a reply blank.

I did not write the last paragraph of the post #498 about credit card dispute - it was your misplaced reply.

Please correct it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Sdancer said:

Roger B,

You added your reply at the end of my post as it was a part of my post and left your space for a reply blank.

I did not write the last paragraph of the post #498 about credit card dispute - it was your misplaced reply.

Please correct it.

 

It is not correctable/editable after 30 minutes or so with out asking a moderator to do so. Some will, some won't bother. You could probably ask a moderator to assist if it bothers you so much. I think many of us knew what Roger intended to do.

Edited by Coral
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ak1004 said:


Apparently Gate 1 can issue refund within 10 days, and Crystal needs 120 days? Is it not possible to issue a refund while working from home? You are aware it’s 2020 now, right? You know that if people have internet connection they can do virtually everything from home, right?

 

Maybe, just maybe, they could predict the flood of refund requests and not cut staff by 50%? What happened to “customer comes first”?
 

Do you believe that 120 days refunds should be the norm?

 

Over almost 16 years as a TA I have actually done almost as much work from home as I have in the office, so yes I am well aware it is 2020. I also know a lot of the refund process cannot easily be done "from home". If you have not already seen them, seek out some of BWIVince's posts explaining the refund process on some of the other "Refund" threads.

 

For the record, I think 120 days to process a refund is not acceptable and Crystal has really done a very poor job of both managing the process, and keeping clients informed. I also know they are not alone in this, but where other lines seem to be slowly catching up, Crystal seems to be treading water.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Sorry Sdancer  II don't know what went wrong  THIS IS  A RE-POST :

 

I can't understand why there are all these complaints and people waiting ,there is one answer file a credit card dispute then you will know you will get your money unless Crystal go broke !!  

Edited by roger b
Miss Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news after 117 days I received my refund for cancelling- posted 7/4.I followed up 6 times and received only one response!

Crystal is disrespectful to their customers. I will never cruise w/ them again- hope they survive w/o me!

 

I want to mention cruise lines that were terrific and fair to me w/ cancellations- Regent,Azamara,Oceania,and Viking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

 

Over almost 16 years as a TA I have actually done almost as much work from home as I have in the office, so yes I am well aware it is 2020. I also know a lot of the refund process cannot easily be done "from home". If you have not already seen them, seek out some of BWIVince's posts explaining the refund process on some of the other "Refund" threads.

 

For the record, I think 120 days to process a refund is not acceptable and Crystal has really done a very poor job of both managing the process, and keeping clients informed. I also know they are not alone in this, but where other lines seem to be slowly catching up, Crystal seems to be treading water.

 

I'm glad we agree.

 

And for the record, I don't think it's about money. Most people who spent thousands (some tens of thousands) on Crystal cruise can likely wait an extra 30-60 days. It's pretty safe to assume it's not their last money. It's about the process. It's about customer service. It's about communication (or lack of it). It's respect (or lack of it).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

 

I'm glad we agree.

 

And for the record, I don't think it's about money. Most people who spent thousands (some tens of thousands) on Crystal cruise can likely wait an extra 30-60 days. It's pretty safe to assume it's not their last money. It's about the process. It's about customer service. It's about communication (or lack of it). It's respect (or lack of it).

Actually the rule is "When they say it is not about the money, it is about the money".  You are making an assumption not based on fact about "it's not their last money."  Speaking for us and friends who "have lent" Crystal a significant amount without being able to get either the service paid for months ago or our money back - it is money I cannot use elsewhere that does not pay bills, earns no interest and cannot be used as collateral.  You have no idea whether people saved for years for a once in lifetime cruise  or just paid out of petty cash.  No doubt that Crystal has failed in many ways, each magnifying the issue but the money we paid is mine not theirs and by the time we are repaid (hopefully) they will have had our money for a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, almostretired said:

Actually the rule is "When they say it is not about the money, it is about the money".  You are making an assumption not based on fact about "it's not their last money."  Speaking for us and friends who "have lent" Crystal a significant amount without being able to get either the service paid for months ago or our money back - it is money I cannot use elsewhere that does not pay bills, earns no interest and cannot be used as collateral.  You have no idea whether people saved for years for a once in lifetime cruise  or just paid out of petty cash.  No doubt that Crystal has failed in many ways, each magnifying the issue but the money we paid is mine not theirs and by the time we are repaid (hopefully) they will have had our money for a year.

 

Of course it's our money. And yes, we "have lent" Crystal a significant amount. But we do it all the time when paying a deposit 1-2 years in advance and final payment 3 months in advance.

 

Yes, the difference is that in this case we didn't get the product, and we expect to get the refund within a reasonable time. But we also know with high degree of certainty (based on other people's experience) that it will be refunded eventually. So it's not about the money per se, but more about the principle and the way they treat their guests. 

 

No matter how you look at it, I think we all agree that Crystal failed, and failed more than other lines, especially considering it's a luxury line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Final update for us:  Day 118 ~ got the rest of our money back, less fees to Crystal, United Cruises, the $700+ travel insurance not refunded and interest on our credit card, BUT, grateful for the refund and glad this is done!  Good luck to everyone still waiting!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

About a travel insurance premium refund based on my experience getting a full refund from a travel insurance company:

 

I never purchase cruise lines insurance from cruise lines themselves since it is more like a promise to pay rather a real insurance policy from US-based Insurance companies with US rules and regulations.

 

I purchased a travel insurance policy for a medical evacuation from one of the top travel insurance companies.

My Cunard transatlantic cruise had no ports and I decided that it makes sense to have a medical jet policy to take me home (or my body 🙂), if needed, from the middle of the ocean - a very distant case scenario but still ...

My main activity would be ballroom dancing :).

 

When I cancelled my cruise, I contacted this insurance company requesting a full refund.

Medical evacuation covers for actual travel dates only. Since the cruise did not happen, I expected to get a full refund of my insurance premium.

 

After a few weeks I got a reply requesting to send them my cruise refund invoice to show that I have received a full refund from Cunard. I emailed my refund invoice pdf which clearly stated that there was a full refund from Cunard with no penalty.

I did not get any more communication from this insurer.

I filed a dispute with  Chase at the end  of March and Chase Visa decided in my favor in 45 days which is the exact time frame for Visa disputes.

 

It was an interesting experience.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Sdancer
Link to post
Share on other sites

We're now over 100 days!  I see some have waited longer, but this IS ridiculous. Crystal needs to take some of the wonderful staff who know how to run things off the ships and put them in the office. Maybe things will get done right that way.   I'm only repeating what's already been said, but this is not acceptable service.  I am sure this will come back to bite them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gwesq said:

We're now over 100 days!  I see some have waited longer, but this IS ridiculous. Crystal needs to take some of the wonderful staff who know how to run things off the ships and put them in the office. Maybe things will get done right that way.   I'm only repeating what's already been said, but this is not acceptable service.  I am sure this will come back to bite them.  

Oh,  I’m at 116 days.  Waiting for the email about it taking 150 days....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Woke up to a miracle.  😇.  Two refunds for 2022 cruises requested 03/10/2020 were on my credit cards.  120 days.  This whole process is 360 degrees from the Crystal performance we have grown to love over the past twenty years and many cruises.  I was understanding early on, but by now things should be handled better.  Heartbroken is an understatement . 💔. At this point , no future cruise plans for us. 😢

 

By the way , still waiting on an additional refund for a 2020 cancelation requested mid April.  Will not waste time looking for that until the 120 days hit the calendar.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I am wondering...is there any harm in disputing the charges by Crystal earlier than 90 days?  I personally think I have the legal grounds to do so (though I'm not a lawyer) since I never explicitly agreed to let Crystal decide how long they can hold on to my money.  I know that US Transportation Department is suggesting 7 days for airfare, so if it is longer than a week, I think it is fair game to dispute the charges with the credit card and file a complaint with DOT.  I'm not saying it works.   I have no idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Psoque said:

So, I am wondering...is there any harm in disputing the charges by Crystal earlier than 90 days?  I personally think I have the legal grounds to do so (though I'm not a lawyer) since I never explicitly agreed to let Crystal decide how long they can hold on to my money.  I know that US Transportation Department is suggesting 7 days for airfare, so if it is longer than a week, I think it is fair game to dispute the charges with the credit card and file a complaint with DOT.  I'm not saying it works.   I have no idea.

I asked that question to the Chase rep. He said they suggest, although it is not in writing, allowing two weeks past the notification of cancellation by the cruise line to get a refund. They ask the cardholder to try to work things out with the merchant before initiating the dispute. I took their suggestion and gave Crystal  a seven day deadline ( I was past 90 days at that point) and then initiated the dispute. The 90 days was an accommodation that I gave Crystal due to the exceptional pandemic circumstances, but we were not required to do so and since the 90 day assurance was ignored by Crystal (as was my notification of intended dispute), I see no reason to wait the 90 days. 
    
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Psoque said:

So, I am wondering...is there any harm in disputing the charges by Crystal earlier than 90 days?  I personally think I have the legal grounds to do so (though I'm not a lawyer) since I never explicitly agreed to let Crystal decide how long they can hold on to my money.  I know that US Transportation Department is suggesting 7 days for airfare, so if it is longer than a week, I think it is fair game to dispute the charges with the credit card and file a complaint with DOT.  I'm not saying it works.   I have no idea.

You can certainly do a charge back now.  There is absolutely no reason to wait for Crystal (especially when they change the goal post) to give you the refund.  They appear to respond with refunds right after chargebacks are started by the card holder, at least that seems to be what I have read here and experienced myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cancelled my 2020 cruise 8 months in advance. Crystal started to charge $100 pp as admin fee for 2020 cancellations. 

Since Crystal does process refund in a reasonable time (it is 105 days for me), I feel that Crystal should not charge any admin fees for such extremely poor customer service.

I am not aware of other cruise lines charging anything for advanced cancellation - I know that Oceania does not. 

 

Should we pay these admin fees for waiting over 90 days to get our refunds?

Is Crystal entitled to these admin fees/penalties? 

What do you think? Just wondering ...

 

Edited by Sdancer
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Sdancer said:

I cancelled my 2020 cruise 8 months in advance. Crystal started to charge $100 pp as admin fee for 2020 cancellations. 

Since Crystal does process refund in a reasonable time (it is 105 days for me), I feel that Crystal should not charge any admin fees for such extremely poor customer service.

I am not aware of other cruise lines charging anything for advanced cancellation - I know that Oceania does not. 

 

Should we pay these admin fees for waiting over 90 days to get our refunds?

Is Crystal entitled to these admin fees/penalties? 

What do you think? Just wondering ...

 

Correction - "does NOT process refunds" instead of "does process refunds":

I cancelled my 2020 cruise 8 months in advance. Crystal started to charge $100 pp as admin fee for 2020 cancellations. 

Since Crystal does NOT process refunds in a reasonable time (it is 105 days for me), I feel that Crystal should not charge any admin fees for such extremely poor customer service.

I am not aware of other cruise lines charging anything for advanced cancellation - I know that Oceania does not. 

 

Should we pay these admin fees for waiting over 90 days to get our refunds?

Is Crystal entitled to these admin fees (penalties to us)? 

What do you think? Just wondering ...

Edited by Sdancer
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, cruisr said:

You can certainly do a charge back now.  There is absolutely no reason to wait for Crystal (especially when they change the goal post) to give you the refund.  They appear to respond with refunds right after chargebacks are started by the card holder, at least that seems to be what I have read here and experienced myself.

I think I will call Chase today about this.   Crystal thinks they can make me wait 90+ days, but I did not agree to that and my policy is less than 2weeks.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sdancer said:

Should we pay these admin fees for waiting over 90 days to get our refunds?

Is Crystal entitled to these admin fees (penalties to us)? 

What do you think? Just wondering ...

 

This issue got beaten to death here when the Admin Fees and new final payment rules were first announced a couple of years ago. As to paying them, they form part of the Cancellation Schedule that you accept when you make the booking, so yes, Crystal is "entitled" to them when the guest initiates the cancellation. The right/wrong of taking more than 90 days to process refunds is another discussion, also beaten to death in the last four months, and generally acknowledged as not acceptable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

 

This issue got beaten to death here when the Admin Fees and new final payment rules were first announced a couple of years ago. As to paying them, they form part of the Cancellation Schedule that you accept when you make the booking, so yes, Crystal is "entitled" to them when the guest initiates the cancellation. The right/wrong of taking more than 90 days to process refunds is another discussion, also beaten to death in the last four months, and generally acknowledged as not acceptable.

Sorry, I did some research and could not agree.

Yes, but it was before cancellations started in 2020. 

Administrative fees include processing cancellations and issuing refunds. 

If refunds were not issued in a timely manner then Crystal did not fulfill their "administrative fee".

If Crystal has no recourse for taking unreasonable lengths to issue refunds, then refunds time could be indefinite.

If Crystal wanted to show good faith, Crystal would waive any administration fee from refunds over 90 days.

That is what smart businesses do, like Amazon issuing an "inconvenience credit" 🙂.

 

If Crystal is still in good financial standing as of today,  that won't put much dent in their wallet to show their loyal customer base that we are important to Crystal.

IMHO 

 

 

Edited by Sdancer
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...