Crystal still hasn't processed my 5 figure refund from a cancellation in February

On 7/10/2020 at 3:17 PM, Psoque said:

I think it is fair game to dispute the charges with the credit card and file a complaint with DOT.  I'm not saying it works.   I have no idea.

Of course it is reasonable, if it wasn't DOT or the credit card would tell you.  I got a call back from the FMA's cousel and  was pretty successful with credit card disputes.  Ponant which actually unilaterally changed their refund policy managed to snap back 50% from Bank of America was the only disappoitment but was successful with Crystal and Cunard.

Happy Anniversary!  Tomorrow I celebrate the 120th day that I asked Crystal for a refund.  Crickets,  nothing,  nada....I am sure if my next final payment was even an hour late Crystal wouldn’t be half as patient...

Avalon1025, have you tried to request a chargeback from your CC company?

Following other observations on this form, I called Amex to question a plane ticket (fortunately I returned from my last Crystal Cruise just before the Pandemic but we had a couple of outstanding business class tickets for a vacation in May.)  My original CC purchase was in December, 2019.

Within five minutes, the Amex agent said she would put in the chargeback request, and within a week, Amex put a full refund on my account.  The merchant (in this case TAP Portugal) has the option to dispute the chargeback, but that is highly unlikely to happen unless they can prove I actually flew on a flight they cancelled!

From what I can see CC chargebacks are the best ways for us to recover our money.

I'm stashing the cash from no travel (as my business/income thankfully remains healthy in part because of government wage subsidies) for when it will be safe and pleasant to travel again -- hopefully Crystal will be around when this happens probably sometime in late 2021.

4 hours ago, Publisher1953 said:

Within five minutes, the Amex agent said she would put in the chargeback request, and within a week, Amex put a full refund on my account.  The merchant (in this case TAP Portugal) has the option to dispute the chargeback, but that is highly unlikely to happen unless they can prove I actually flew on a flight they cancelled!

I also have a dispute with TAP, they just sort of disappeared and did not reply to my communications.  I doubt they will fight the dispute.

7 hours ago, avalon1025 said:

I’ll be looking into a chargeback tomorrow.  I wanted to give Crystal every chance to stick to their word.  Sadly that didn’t happen.  

We are in the same boat as you.  We are now over 120 days and being told again and again to just give them a little more time.  So sad.

12 hours ago, avalon1025 said:

I’ll be looking into a chargeback tomorrow.  I wanted to give Crystal every chance to stick to their word.  Sadly that didn’t happen.  

I finally filed my dispute - should have done it long  time ago.

109 days for us. I've challenged the charges with CC and have been waiting for a month for them to respond.

Everyone is taking interest free loans from us, and we're having to cover their interest ourselves.

This is nowhere near fair to the consumer!

29 minutes ago, SFRiA said:

109 days for us. I've challenged the charges with CC and have been waiting for a month for them to respond.

Everyone is taking interest free loans from us, and we're having to cover their interest ourselves.

This is nowhere near fair to the consumer!

Crystal did not respond on mine but did refund while it was pending. So just watch your account.  The interest would be automatically deducted from your credit card account if you paid any.

I was informed today “it will take a few more weeks” and I’m at day 106.  To Keith and all the Crystal apologists out there, I will never ever cruise on Crystal again and will tell anyone who asks to avoid Crystal at all costs unless you don’t care about your money.

12 minutes ago, rwadam said:

I was informed today “it will take a few more weeks” and I’m at day 106.  To Keith and all the Crystal apologists out there, I will never ever cruise on Crystal again and will tell anyone who asks to avoid Crystal at all costs unless you don’t care about your money.

I have this feeling that cruising on Crystal may not be an option when all this is said and done. They sure don't act like a survivor or care about their past and future clients.

I don't wish it on Crystal but they just don't instill enough confidence in them.

5 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I have this feeling that cruising on Crystal may not be an option when all this is said and done. They sure don't act like a survivor or care about their past and future clients.

I don't wish it on Crystal but they just don't instill enough confidence in them.

They don’t care, and neither do the cheery folks who post things about food, etc. on this board. They’re rich or maybe Crystal gives them perks to post all that stuff.  Oh well.  I’ve been taking some wonderful non-cruise trips for the last couple of years and I was going to go back to Crystal, but after this never again.  All I can say is, if you care about your money, avoid booking on Crystal at all costs until this pandemic is over.  I really don’t believe they are going to make it at this point so you’re throwing your money away.  Just empty promises.  Sad.

16 hours ago, rwadam said:

They don’t care, and neither do the cheery folks who post things about food, etc. on this board. They’re rich or maybe Crystal gives them perks to post all that stuff.  Oh well.  I’ve been taking some wonderful non-cruise trips for the last couple of years and I was going to go back to Crystal, but after this never again.  All I can say is, if you care about your money, avoid booking on Crystal at all costs until this pandemic is over.  I really don’t believe they are going to make it at this point so you’re throwing your money away.  Just empty promises.  Sad.

The receiverships have started, first they come for the small lines like CMV.  Seriously, no business can survive a rolling shut down with enormous carrying and operations costs every month. 

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/cruise-and-maritime-voyages-first-major-line-to-go-into-administration/

I don't think anyone on this board is truly happy about the refund situation but honestly Crystal is broke with no income coming in other than some future deposits and plenty of expenses.  They are trying to manage the money to pay off what they owe at the same time survive.

Will the cruise industry survive - I think so but will small lines such as Crystal - to me that is a real doubt. 

I'm sure even the "cheery" folks aren't truly happy with the refund situation.   They are trying to provide us some good thoughts and good remembrances when not much going on today is good.

Someone on these boards assured us of  the solid financial standing of Genting.

That may be so but their primary income is not from cruising and they just might let Crystal go and cut their losses.

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Someone on these boards assured us of  the solid financial standing of Genting.

That may be so but their primary income is not from cruising and they just might let Crystal go and cut their losses.

With regard to  their financial standing, Genting Hong Kong probably faces some new business concerns and complexities  due to China's recent changes in  Hong Kong's laws and special economic status.

22 minutes ago, Jim9310 said:

With regard to  their financial standing, Genting Hong Kong probably faces some new business concerns and complexities  due to China's recent changes in  Hong Kong's laws and special economic status.

I”m not a business/financials person, but looking at the share prices of Genting Hong Kong and it’s parent company, Genting Berhad, they have been depreciating since at least when Crystal was purchased from NYK in 2015, so I am not sure they were doing all that well even before the outbreak began.

On 7/20/2020 at 3:19 PM, Paulchili said:

I agree but to be fair Seabourn has not been any better With refunds and they are better funded than Crystal so it is not unique to Crystal. I do not understand Seabourn’s rational unlike Crystal who is drowning IMHO.

On 4/7/2020 at 9:05 PM, Crystal Cruises said:

The Crystal team has been following this conversation. We truly appreciate your patience as we continue to navigate this unprecedented situation relating to COVID-19. We are aware and completely understand your concerns and please know it is our intent to issue applicable refunds as quickly as possible. We have a high volume of refunds because we have voluntarily suspended cruise operations for our entire Ocean, River and Yacht fleets from mid-March through May voyages and, in addition, all of our employees are now working remotely because of stay at home orders. However, we can tell you that many of our guests are seeing refunds issued faster than our original estimate of up to 90 days. Please note that the up-to-90 days’ timeline was from the day of cancellation and not necessarily from the day scheduled to sail.

As you may know, Crystal is taking measures to maintain our strong financial position and has the support of our parent company Genting Hong Kong as we weather this unprecedented global pandemic. We are sincerely grateful for your continued understanding, should you have further questions please reach out to our Guest Services team at GuestSupport@crystalcruises.com.

I think this was the last time we heard from an official voice on this thread.  i wonder if they just stopped reading as they really don’t seem to be able to help those that are still awaiting their refund.

11 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

I agree but to be fair Seabourn has not been any better With refunds and they are better funded than Crystal so it is not unique to Crystal. I do not understand Seabourn’s rational unlike Crystal who is drowning IMHO.

I received my refund from Seabourn in less than 60 days as did my friends.  Their communication was much better as was their timeliness.

13 hours ago, Jimmycruiser said:

I agree but to be fair Seabourn has not been any better With refunds and they are better funded than Crystal so it is not unique to Crystal. 

Perhaps I shouldn't post since I have no skin in this particular game.  

I love Crystal where I have sailed many nights, but I departed for Silversea when Crystal imposed hefty administrative fees and more stringent cancellation terms for the long cruises (often b2b) that I prefer. I continue to follow this board in the hope that Crystal will revise these policies.

In early June I cancelled some Silversea cruises for late 2020/early 2021.  The charges were distributed between two credit cards.  One card reported the refund last week.  The other reported the refund today (apparently the credit card company received the funds from Silversea on the 16th but only posted the credit on my account on the evening of the 21st.)

So Silversea, which now enjoys the backing of Royal Caribbean, refunded a very big five-figure amount within 45 days.