Crystal still hasn't processed my 5 figure refund from a cancellation in February

25 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

So I'M the bad guy here because my case was early and before the tons of cancellations came in? 

Trying to remember...isn't envy one of the seven deadly sins?

14 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Interesting. Of course, if they determine there is no basis for the dispute, ie - Crystal is processing your refund, then they will reinstate the charge to your card, back to its original due date, and as it will then be past due, charge you interest on the unpaid balance at some outrageous interest rate. While I hope it all works out for you, it  will be interesting to see how this plays out, so please do keep us informed.

Don’t know what the credit cards regulations are in Canada but this is completely wrong.  While the investigation is ongoing you are not responsible for paying the charge or interest or fees,  If the credit card company finds the charge was legitimate and you are responsible the charge goes back on your bill without any charges or fees or late fees.  It will be payable on the next statement.  I have had this happen once with Chase and once with Citi cards.

35 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Don’t know what the credit cards regulations are in Canada but this is completely wrong.  While the investigation is ongoing you are not responsible for paying the charge or interest or fees,  If the credit card company finds the charge was legitimate and you are responsible the charge goes back on your bill without any charges or fees or late fees.  It will be payable on the next statement.  I have had this happen once with Chase and once with Citi cards.

I know what I described is the way it used to be, but it has been many years since I last had to deal with something like this. 

37 minutes ago, blackfoot said:

Crickets - still waiting since March 4 cancellation, 60 days and counting. Not impressed with Crystal's cash flow management strategy- use their customer's $ !

90 days will be long gone for many passengers before significant new money starts rolling in.  I agree that is what they are doing, but it will not be an effective long term cash management strategy.

My balance for the cancelled cruise has been long paid so as with others I await patiently (somewhat) for the refund.  However, 2 friends protested their charge with the CC company and received immediate credit on their statement.  The interesting part is Crystal did not respond to the CC company's request for information within the allotted time.  Therefore the charge reversal stood and the case closed.  Maybe Crystal thought it was easier to remove these passengers from the large list of refunds due instead of taking time to explain to the CC company??

1 hour ago, csto said:

My balance for the cancelled cruise has been long paid so as with others I await patiently (somewhat) for the refund.  However, 2 friends protested their charge with the CC company and received immediate credit on their statement.  The interesting part is Crystal did not respond to the CC company's request for information within the allotted time.  Therefore the charge reversal stood and the case closed.  Maybe Crystal thought it was easier to remove these passengers from the large list of refunds due instead of taking time to explain to the CC company??

As mentioned above and in other threads, if you submit the supporting docs of your pending refund or cancellation to your credit card company, most (in my experience) will issue you a temporary credit if the balance is due.  I’ve done that with AmEx (albeit in a legacy AmEx charge account and not a revolving credit account.)

That’s how the credit card companies are managing the 90 day windows against the customer’s need to settle the card at the end of the billing cycle.

That said, this is the first case that I’m hearing of where the credit card company actually initiated a full chargeback against a cruise line inside the 90 days they have to complete the refund.  For the most part, IME, the credit card companies seem hesitant to jump the queue and tie up precious resources when the cruise line isn’t in violation yet.  Not only are the cruise lines overwhelmed right now, but the credit card companies are EXTREMELY short staffed right now, and chargebacks are labor intensive for both parties.

Vince

6 hours ago, Roland4 said:

I know what I described is the way it used to be, but it has been many years since I last had to deal with something like this. 

Larry, you’re correct that you may owe interest on the charge depending on the terms of your account.  If you’re not carrying a balance and the charge is reported within the grace period, there would be no interest, but if you are carrying a balance, the charge isn’t covered by a grace period and the lender sides with the merchant, they can charge you the interest on the disputed charge if they choose.  Otherwise people could use disputes as a one-time deferred payment plan.

Vince

In these cases, the temporary credit was issues against the line in favor of the consumer as frequently happens in disputes.  However, the failure of Crystal to respond in the allotted time period per credit card rules resulted in the credit being permanent.  Probably, both parties are overwhelmed but it is certainly an indirect way to receive your money.  

Keep it simple - Crystal needs to take care of their customers and not put us through financial gymnastics!

Of course Crystal knows about the concept of customer Goodwill and future business. That is why I am concerned about receiving a refund- they are not focused about their future but trying to survive today!

1 hour ago, blackfoot said:

Keep it simple - Crystal needs to take care of their customers and not put us through financial gymnastics!

Of course Crystal knows about the concept of customer Goodwill and future business. That is why I am concerned about receiving a refund- they are not focused about their future but trying to survive today!

And if they don't survive today, there is no future. 

Deposits for future cruises are probably 10% of what they were this time last year.  That working capital is gone.  How much debt is Crystal carrying?  Were the river boats paid in full at time of delivery or are they servicing that debt?  People waiting for their refunds are probably somewhere further down the queue and they will (as other cruise lines are doing) forestall paying them as long as they can.

They are trying to conserve cash.  That is the bottom line.  

54 minutes ago, cruisr said:

They are trying to conserve cash.  That is the bottom line.  

Not only that but the problem compounds as June and July cruises are cancelled and more refunds are due.  At some point the house of cards will collapse.  Unless those deposits were in an escrow account, at some point, they will run out of money or have to draw on their insurance bond.

5 hours ago, resistk said:

Not only that but the problem compounds as June and July cruises are cancelled and more refunds are due.  At some point the house of cards will collapse.  Unless those deposits were in an escrow account, at some point, they will run out of money or have to draw on their insurance bond.

Sort of...  The most expensive months are the early ones, because the money is going out in both directions, as they refund money to passengers that they already spent to suppliers and labor in advance of sailings.  Now they’re doing more cycling of reservations deposits, which isn’t great, but is a lot less costly than what they were doing 5-7 weeks ago.  The cash burn is exponentially smaller, and the staff needed to do it is a fraction of the size.

Vince

3 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Read an article in USATODAY. Yesterday about this is a general complaint most cruise lines. Doesn’t mean it is right but no one was prepared

How many businesses were "prepared"?  To say nothing about governmental agencies at ALL levels.

USAToday - just filling space rather than covering "news".

9 minutes ago, blackfoot said:

I wonder if there are Vegas odds for Crystal going under by year end- Their current behavior displays desperation!

What “desperation” behaviour is that specifically? 

If you’re referring to the up to 90 days wait for refunds then pretty much the entire cruise industry would be sitting at the same odds as 90 days is the standard for cash refunds across the industry  

We might not like it but that’s the reality - so I just count down the days towards 90 since cancellation and currently expect them to honour their commitments 

If you have a email from Crystal confirming your refund, then do what I did. I was owed a 5 figure refund as well. I sent my documentation to the dispute Dept of my credit card company. They suspended the balance on my card. From what I was told, if Crystal does not settle the refund within 30 days my card will be credited the balance and the liability for the refund gets transferred to to the clearing house. I am still within the 30 days waiting for this resolution. But, I do know that no vendor wants disputes on their history and squeaky wheels get greased.

50 minutes ago, blackfoot said:

I wonder if there are Vegas odds for Crystal going under by year end- Their current behavior displays desperation!

Just out of curiosity, have you noticed the same "behaviors" from other suppliers?  Professionally, I'm seeing the exact same thing from other cruise lines, hotels and airlines -- and in many cases much, much worse.  I have hotels that still owe my company commissions from late 2019, and they've said we're basically in line with all other creditors at this point.

ANY company in the industry is at risk at this point, and many of the cruise lines specifically will face a point by late summer when they're going to have to decide if they want to stick with it.  If ships don't sail until sometime in 2021, which is a very possible scenario at this point, not all companies will have the money to sustain the costly ships and infrastructure without revenue.  Crystal may fall eventually into that scenario (no one can know at this point), but I strongly expect they won't be the first.

Vince

On 5/2/2020 at 3:57 PM, BWIVince said:

As mentioned above and in other threads, if you submit the supporting docs of your pending refund or cancellation to your credit card company, most (in my experience) will issue you a temporary credit if the balance is due.  I’ve done that with AmEx (albeit in a legacy AmEx charge account and not a revolving credit account.)

That’s how the credit card companies are managing the 90 day windows against the customer’s need to settle the card at the end of the billing cycle.

That said, this is the first case that I’m hearing of where the credit card company actually initiated a full chargeback against a cruise line inside the 90 days they have to complete the refund.  For the most part, IME, the credit card companies seem hesitant to jump the queue and tie up precious resources when the cruise line isn’t in violation yet.  Not only are the cruise lines overwhelmed right now, but the credit card companies are EXTREMELY short staffed right now, and chargebacks are labor intensive for both parties.

Vince

This is how Amex charge card worked in my case.  

Filed dispute cruise line canceled, temp credit, with amex giving merchant 30 days to respond.  No respond, credit is permanent.  You don't need to deal with some arbitrary 90 days set by cruise line.  Amex 30 days is what they get.  

As others also noted, they got the same resolution with other credit card company.  

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

What “desperation” behaviour is that specifically? 

If you’re referring to the up to 90 days wait for refunds then pretty much the entire cruise industry would be sitting at the same odds as 90 days is the standard for cash refunds across the industry  

We might not like it but that’s the reality - so I just count down the days towards 90 since cancellation and currently expect them to honour their commitments 

We both know that the odd to get your refund at the 90 days mark is low.  I have some other airlines refund going on and they said 30 days, but it's been almost 60 days.  

Call me a fool but for some reason I thought Crystal was a cut above in their industry.As several on here who are professionals in the travel industry have indicated, Crystal turns out to be a me too cruise line when it comes to customer service.This is my issue , I actually had a higher opinion of them.

FYI, I received my cash refunds from Oceania in 30 days on three canceled cruises.

40 minutes ago, blackfoot said:

Call me a fool but for some reason I thought Crystal was a cut above in their industry.As several on here who are professionals in the travel industry have indicated, Crystal turns out to be a me too cruise line when it comes to customer service.This is my issue , I actually had a higher opinion of them.

FYI, I received my cash refunds from Oceania in 30 days on three canceled cruises.

Opinions are based on experiences and you can go to any other luxury cruise line board on here and see cheerleaders that think “their” cruise line is a cut above all the others.  ALL cruise lines are in a struggle to stay afloat (no pun intended, of course) and all are acting in the same way, to a degree.  Some have really been good at handling refunds/FCCs, etc.  Some have not.  I am waiting for deposits to be refunded me from Oceania, Crystal, Celebrity and Seabourn.  All cancelled the same day, March 23 and all for July 2019 and beyond. We will see who the refund winner will be.

3 hours ago, blackfoot said:

...And many people have received refunds from Crystal in 30 days.  ...And many people are still waiting for refunds from Oceania.  Unfortunately, there are a lot more variables than that, and some of those are even luck of the draw at this point.

Vince