Crystal still hasn't processed my 5 figure refund from a cancellation in February

BookLover102

1 hour ago, ClefsDor said:

We received an email from Crystal the other day confirming bank account details which tells me that the money will be processed shortly. 

Same here - but I’m not so sure - that was a week ago now and no sign of the funds 

I can only imagine they’re doing the prep work, then batching them up ready to proceed and they will eventually push to “go button” to authorise the payments - just when that will be is of course the big question!

The only useful thing this has achieved is it gives me another activity to do each morning to break the monotony in my semi isolation world - check the bank account to see if the Refund Fairy has paid me a visit....seeing as the Upgrade Fairy has been furloughed for the time being 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Cruising, especially Crystal cruising, should be the ultimate in an activity using only disposable income. If you can't wait 90 days for your refund, perhaps you should have never committed the money in the first place. Crash helmet in place, waiting for incoming!

Patty

If you can't wait 90 days for your refund, perhaps you should have never committed the money in the first place

I’ll bite...

Maybe it’s fine if you’re waiting for 1 refund but less entertaining when you have 4 in the process 

Unlike some here I don’t subscribe to the theory that this is a 90 day process by necessity or because of the volume - I’m definitely in the cash flow management camp 

• Like 4

Cruising, especially Crystal cruising, should be the ultimate in an activity using only disposable income. If you can't wait 90 days for your refund, perhaps you should have never committed the money in the first place. Crash helmet in place, waiting for incoming!

Patty

Patty,

The reason for my double post is, I was going to respond & then changed my mind, seemed pointless.

14 minutes ago, resistk said:

Is it 90 days from date of cancellation by the passenger (if any), 90 days from when Crystal cancelled the cruise (if applicable) or 90 days from when the cruise was supposed to depart?

A and/or B but not C 

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

check the bank account to see if the Refund Fairy has paid me a visit....seeing as the Upgrade Fairy has been furloughed for the time being 

Maybe the Upgrade Fairy is also now the Refund Fairy, but he is still in the "on the job training" phase of his new position?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, crickette said:

She talked with her Crystal contact, and the cheque was issued April 6.  Don't know when/if it was mailed!

That’s over 6 weeks ago!

One of those “the cheque’s in the mail” stories I suspect 😔

Edited by Stickman1990

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Are they magically going to get all the refunds to process at the last minute?  If so, then it would seem that the problem was not processing the large volume of refunds, and strongly suggests that they could have gotten the process in gear in a much more timely fashion.  If they can process them efficiently enough to suddenly get up to full speed at 90 days, then the only reason for the delay is cash flow.  And the cash flow problem probably won't magically go away at 90 days either.

My thoughts exactly.   When the respective 90 day marks hit will all the hundreds/thousands of individual refunds somehow get dispersed on the same day?  For many day 90 is almost upon us so we'll have our answer soon enough.  It's feeling more and more like waiting for the  $*&^@ to hit the fan!   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caroak said:

When the respective 90 day marks hit will all the hundreds/thousands of individual refunds somehow get dispersed on the same day?  For many day 90 is almost upon us so we'll have our answer soon enough.  It's feeling more and more like waiting for the  $*&^@ to hit the fan!   

I think every day that the money’s not going out the door is a positive from the Crystal Bean Counters perspective - so holding off on releasing funds is no big surprise, at least not to me. Do I like it? No way  

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

In fairness though, according to the posts across many threads here, Crystal has been continuously posting refunds, so it’s not like they’re waiting to do them all on the 90th day.  It’s a rolling process with people being settled and new people being added every week.

Perhaps those getting a refund are just not speaking up?  Most of the refunds I recall hearing about were for deposits only.

42 minutes ago, socrafty said:

Our TA was told recently that our 3 segment World Cruise cancellation was being counted for the 90 days from the departure of the 3rd segment.

You really scared me here.  I have 3 segments booked on WC 2021, and my brain went straight there!  Ninety days from March 1, 2021!!!  Fortunately, then I realized you must be talking about 2020.  Please tell me you are talking about 2020, that is bad enough.  Did you miss all 3 segments, or only the 3rd one?

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Then how do you explain Seabourn (Carnival Corp) or Regent (NCLH)? Both parent companies have completed $2 Billion working capital deals, yet both lines are taking 60 to 90 days (and more if you check their boards) to process refunds.

Yes, indeed.  And the passengers there are just as incensed as here.  I have not been following the Seabourn forum, but the thread similar to this one on Regent was really getting heated.  The thread starter and a few others made repeated requests to limit posts only to those who had gotten their refund.  But since there were very few of those (nearly all for deposits, not for fully paid cancellations), a lot of other discussion was happening, similar to here. I offered to track the information and record it in a spreadsheet.  If you want to see how the Regent refunds are going, check out:

It would be pretty easy for me to do this on the Crystal forum as well, if people want it and will submit their data.  I have been hesitant to suggest it because I think it focuses attention on a problem that we really can't do anything about.  But the attention is there anyway and seems to be heating up, and if we collect some data at least we would have a better idea how many refunds are going out and how quickly.  Personally, I have a lot more money "invested" in Crystal's cash flow than on Regent, and I would be interested in a little more hard data.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Then how do you explain Seabourn (Carnival Corp) or Regent (NCLH)? Both parent companies have completed $2 Billion working capital deals, yet both lines are taking 60 to 90 days (and more if you check their boards) to process refunds.

The NCL funding was only sorted last week and Carnivals a week or two before that - those funds are probably now available to them to use for refunds - perhaps they simply didn’t have funds available before that?

I note from the thread in the Regent forum that quite a few people have now reported receiving refunds in the last few days - maybe that’s as a consequence of the funding sorted out last week? 

I recall you mentioned having had contact from Crystal asking for confirmation of bank details - that was a few weeks ago - has it resulted in anything being paid out? I’ve had similar communications last week and I see another report of that today. To me that suggests that the processing is happening in the background however it will still require someone to push the final button to release the payments to be processed to credit cards, cheque’s and bank account

Edited by Stickman1990

3 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Yes, indeed.  And the passengers there are just as incensed as here.  I have not been following the Seabourn forum, but the thread similar to this one on Regent was really getting heated.  The thread starter and a few others made repeated requests to limit posts only to those who had gotten their refund.  But since there were very few of those (nearly all for deposits, not for fully paid cancellations), a lot of other discussion was happening, similar to here. I offered to track the information and record it in a spreadsheet.  If you want to see how the Regent refunds are going, check out:

It would be pretty easy for me to do this on the Crystal forum as well, if people want it and will submit their data.  I have been hesitant to suggest it because I think it focuses attention on a problem that we really can't do anything about.  But the attention is there anyway, and if we collect some data at least we would have a better idea how many refunds are going out and how quickly.  Personally, I have a lot more money "invested" in Crystal's cash flow than on Regent, and I would be interested in a little more hard data.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

The NCL funding was only sorted last week and Carnivals a week or two before that - those funds are probably now available to them to use for refunds - perhaps they simply didn’t have funds available before that?

I note from the thread in the Regent forum that quite a few people have now reported receiving refunds in the last few days - maybe that’s as a consequence of the funding sorted out last week? 

I recall you mentioned having had contact from Crystal asking for confirmation of bank details - that was a few weeks ago - has it resulted in anything being paid out? I’ve had similar communications last week and I see another report of that today. To me that suggests that the processing is happening in the background however it will still require someone to push the final button to release the payments to be processed to credit cards, cheque’s and bank account

Just found my hastily scribbled notes from that call under all the client invoices on my desk, and it was three weeks ago. They gave me the amount that was coming back and said it would be approximately four weeks, which makes it the end of next week, and just over 60 days since we left the ship in Freemantle.. I will post when it arrives.

• Thanks 1

Crystal finally comes through...After 80 days Crystal refunded my deposit of $3500 for a 2021 cruise. They are a quality company..however..you have to be persistent....My great travel agent called Crystal every 2 weeks to check on the refund status...For weeks it said pending and finally yesterday after calling Crystal again, my travel agent advised that the full amount was refunded to my credit card.

Crystal is a quality company and l look forward to booking another cruise when things settle down...I had a Regent cruise for November that I cancelled and after 65 days I am still waiting for my deposit to be credited...Let's hope they come across like Crystal. These are very difficult times for the cruise lines and it will be the survival of the fittest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

You really scared me here.  I have 3 segments booked on WC 2021, and my brain went straight there!  Ninety days from March 1, 2021!!!  Fortunately, then I realized you must be talking about 2020.  Please tell me you are talking about 2020, that is bad enough.  Did you miss all 3 segments, or only the 3rd one?

Yes! I was referring to the 2020 World Cruise!  We missed all 3 segments since Crystal told us on February 26 that we were not able to embark in Sydney on March 3rd for our segments ( then changed their mind).  We did receive not quite half of the refund due us 10 days ago. We are waiting for the rest (very hopefully SOON). I will let you know when we receive it.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, socrafty said:

We did receive not quite half of the refund due us 10 days ago. We are waiting for the rest (very hopefully SOON). I will let you know when we receive it.

Was there any basis for the calculation of what you received given? It seems strange it would be a partial refund 

7 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

A glimmer of hope for those that are nervous about receiving refunds. My brother in law cancelled a river cruise my sister and I were going on in October which we had fully paid for. We received an email from Crystal the other day confirming bank account details which tells me that the money will be processed shortly. We cancelled on 25 March so if we receive the funds in the next week or so it will be way before the 90 day mark. I'll keep you posted on the exact date the funds are received. 

Is it normal process for Crystal to make contact to confirm bank details prior to issuing a refund? We cancelled a September cruise about 45 days ago that had been paid in full on a credit card that we have since closed, when we discussed the refund process with our TA they indicated that we could not have the refund posted to another account and that we would need to follow up the bank on our end and have them to issue a cheque to us. I am hoping some of you may have had this problem in the past and be able to point us in the right direction as it would seem much simpler to have the refund redirected to an active account.

2 minutes ago, Lord Haw Haw said:

Is it normal process for Crystal to make contact to confirm bank details prior to issuing a refund? We cancelled a September cruise about 45 days ago that had been paid in full on a credit card that we have since closed, when we discussed the refund process with our TA they indicated that we could not have the refund posted to another account and that we would need to follow up the bank on our end and have them to issue a cheque to us

No it’s not

If it was paid using a current credit card they’ll just refund to your card without contacting you 

If you have closed the credit card account then they won’t know that and will refund to the card and the card issuer will contact you to arrange a refund. You might want to contact the issuer to check what will be required to arrange that. In my experience Crystal won’t take an alternate card for the refund to be credited to  

If you paid by cheque or bank transfer they will contact you or your TA to find out/confirm your bank details so they can transfer funds to that account - that’s the only time they’ll need to contact you re the refund 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Was there any basis for the calculation of what you received given? It seems strange it would be a partial refund 

No reason given. They told me, when I called Crystal inquiring about the remainder, that the rest was processed and they didn’t know why it wasn’t all done at the same time.

• Thanks 1

This was posted on the HAL forum today.  BVIVince has said as much but Crystal should take notes on how to respond directly to anxious (valued) guests.  

We know you are waiting for your refund and may be frustrated by how long it is taking. We fully understand and apologize for this situation. Please be assured that we have received your request and currently have it in our queue. We are doing everything we can to expedite the processing of an unprecedented number of refunds and future cruise credits during this challenging time.

We ask for your continued patience as we work through each booking properly. Due to the unique nature of this situation, we are unable to use our usual automated process. Our team is working hard to manually process this large volume of requests while working from home. This is our commitment to ensuring each and every booking is handled accurately and as efficiently as possible, in hopes of avoiding any further frustrations for you, our valued guest.