Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Last month, we took a gamble & booked a 5 night mid-May cruise out of Galveston for a great price.

Just called Carnival yesterday & told them that we're concerned that the May sailing may be cancelled.

Agent was super nice & found exact same 5 nighter in Aug, for $70 less, upgrade from cheapest Up/Down inside stateroom to reg bed inside, went from forward-most 2nd deck to mid deck 8, plus $50 OBC. 

Carnival's almost giving away the cruise.  

Hope they go bankrupt by then...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you meant you hope they dont go bankrupt ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

Hope they go bankrupt by then...

Yikes! 😂
 

That mistype aside, I think that we will see some killer deals as cruising starts ramping up again. Yes, there are a lot of unknowns at the present time, but I’m truly looking forward to the day when we are able start cruising again, hopefully at great fares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

Last month, we took a gamble & booked a 5 night mid-May cruise out of Galveston for a great price.

Just called Carnival yesterday & told them that we're concerned that the May sailing may be cancelled.

Agent was super nice & found exact same 5 nighter in Aug, for $70 less, upgrade from cheapest Up/Down inside stateroom to reg bed inside, went from forward-most 2nd deck to mid deck 8, plus $50 OBC. 

Carnival's almost giving away the cruise.  

Hope they go bankrupt by then...

I'm assuming dream? It doesnt have up down beds in 1a just so you know. 1a is mostly 1 sofa bed and one regular single. They dont push together, hence the often cheaper price. 

 

I'm assuming you never stayed in 1 before and I dont want people to think dream has upper and lowers, only fantasy class had them in 1a cabins. No fantasy class out of Galveston, its generic, it MAY be upper and lower if oldest class of ship.

 

Dream may have some quads, but the uppers come out of the ceiling. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

I think you meant you hope they dont go bankrupt ???

 

Sorry, Hope they DON"T go bankrupt by then!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Last month, we took a gamble & booked a 5 night mid-May cruise out of Galveston for a great price.

Just called Carnival yesterday & told them that we're concerned that the May sailing may be cancelled.

Agent was super nice & found exact same 5 nighter in Aug, for $70 less, upgrade from cheapest Up/Down inside stateroom to reg bed inside, went from forward-most 2nd deck to mid deck 8, plus $50 OBC. 

Carnival's almost giving away the cruise.  

Hope they go bankrupt by then...

You should have waited since they more than likely they will cancel most of the bookings untill mid June. You would have gotten ffc and $600 in obc.

Edited by Treyatl2006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, taking advantage of a company hurting during this time is horrendous. Karma is powerful.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Wow, taking advantage of a company hurting during this time is horrendous. Karma is powerful.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

2 sides to every story.  Personally I think the cruise lines need to take some blame. They are still booking cruises /taking money/deposits knowing full well that May has very little chance of sailing.

 

Add to that FCC with the enormous amounts of OBC is ridiculous. FCC is understandable not so much with the OBC.

Edited by beerman2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm assuming dream? It doesnt have up down beds in 1a just so you know. 1a is mostly 1 sofa bed and one regular single. They dont push together, hence the often cheaper price. 

 

I'm assuming you never stayed in 1 before and I dont want people to think dream has upper and lowers, only fantasy class had them in 1a cabins. No fantasy class out of Galveston, its generic, it MAY be upper and lower if oldest class of ship.

 

Dream may have some quads, but the uppers come out of the ceiling. 

 

 

I believe all ship classes have the 1a upper lowers, maybe not spirit class since those were built differently. Just went to book the dream and 11274 is a 1a upper/lower and I assume there are more as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lizord said:

I believe all ship classes have the 1a upper lowers, maybe not spirit class since those were built differently. Just went to book the dream and 11274 is a 1a upper/lower and I assume there are more as well.

Not all. Conquest class has none.. I've done every 1a on conquest. The 3 on deck 6 7 and 8 have 2 twins that push together. Mid deck next to laundry. I usually have a hard time deciding between those and a port hole.

 

I've only done dream 1a portholdes, not every 1a. You said you were forward deck 2, now say well the 1a on deck 11 is upper and lower when I said the 1a on deck 2 isn't upper and lower.

 

Magic came to Galveston later after you couldnt book 1a for 150% so I havent been in every 1a on magic, which is same as dream. .. been in every 1a I think on conquest. It has no upper and lowers anywhere on the ship.

 

I last did a 1a on vista, it's not upper and lower, though its further forward than other ships and we were bothered by the sound of waves hitting the hull. But was as on conquest and magic 1a I have done, one twin and one sofa bed.

Edited by firefly333

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, beerman2 said:

2 sides to every story.  Personally I think the cruise lines need to take some blame. They are still booking cruises /taking money/deposits knowing full well that May has very little chance of sailing.

 

Add to that FCC with the enormous amounts of OBC is ridiculous. FCC is understandable not so much with the OBC.

But...they can call your bluff.  They might say the FCC and $600 OBC is only for those who booked before a certain date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Wow, taking advantage of a company hurting during this time is horrendous. Karma is powerful.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

It's called savvy business decisions. They didn't feel guilty when the economy was good and pricing was in their favor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

But...they can call your bluff.  They might say the FCC and $600 OBC is only for those who booked before a certain date.

Which makes it more of a gamble giving cruise lines money right now. Cruise lines are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, beerman2 said:

2 sides to every story.  Personally I think the cruise lines need to take some blame. They are still booking cruises /taking money/deposits knowing full well that May has very little chance of sailing.

 

Add to that FCC with the enormous amounts of OBC is ridiculous. FCC is understandable not so much with the OBC.


Personally I think people booking cruises in the next several months are to blame. Like you said there is very little chance of these cruises sailing, yet people are still booking cruises near term.  All these people booking cruises are giving Carnival an interest free loan, which is a good thing for Carnival with limited revenue these days. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Which makes it more of a gamble giving cruise lines money right now. Cruise lines are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

 

Gamble?  It isn't a game.  The cruise lines are struggling to survive, people are dying....yet some are so happy to save a few bucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Gamble?  It isn't a game.  The cruise lines are struggling to survive, people are dying....yet some are so happy to save a few bucks.

Isn’t calling your bluff (your words)associated to gambling. 

I didn’t say it was a game , I referenced your term.

If the cruise line’s would just shut bookings off nobody would be able to save a few bucks.

They could very easily resume bookings May 1st IF Covid-19 guidelines associated with it are relaxed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, joeyancho said:

I think you meant you hope they dont go bankrupt ???

Not with loans (you can't take a huge loan and then go BK) and Saudi money/stake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Isn’t calling your bluff (your words)associated to gambling. 

I didn’t say it was a game , I referenced your term.

If the cruise line’s would just shut bookings off nobody would be able to save a few bucks.

They could very easily resume bookings May 1st IF Covid-19 guidelines associated with it are relaxed.

 

Sorry....I was referring to "the topic" posted by OP

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not seeing great pricing at all. Just tried to book our October cruise and the price is now over $500 more than it was about 3 weeks ago. So frustrating. I didn't book it then because, HELLO- Pandemic! NOw the price has shot up so much I will not book it out of sheer principle. Checking other cruise options now for our kids October Fall break from school. May opt for a land trip instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BlessedandGrateful said:

I am not seeing great pricing at all. Just tried to book our October cruise and the price is now over $500 more than it was about 3 weeks ago. So frustrating. I didn't book it then because, HELLO- Pandemic! NOw the price has shot up so much I will not book it out of sheer principle. Checking other cruise options now for our kids October Fall break from school. May opt for a land trip instead.

Demand is high, a lot of canceled cruisers are rebooking and are getting great perks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fault for not booking while I was on board last month. We got off the Dream on March 7th and it felt like we came home to a different world. By the time I gor back to LA a couple days later everything had changed.

I guess we will be doing land trips for Fall break and Spring break 2021. Hopefully pricing will improve in the next 6-8 months so we can get some future cruises scheduled. Right now the only one we have booked is on Princess Discovery for December 2021. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

While I am fairly certain that cruising will endure and Carnival as a company will weather this storm, I would still feel that cruises scheduled for any time in the next (many) months are a gamble. 

 

Not in terms of anyone losing their money, but in terms of you not getting exactly what you planned for. Everyone is hopeful for a speedy resolution of the immediate heath issues and some kind of return to normalcy, but that is the unknown. In that regard, nobody really knows what a reasonable timetable would be. That is why purchasing tickets for an event for Aug./Sep./Oct. is just speculative (gambling). The up side being, if you are correct in your position, you would benefit from the possibility that once cruising is permitted again prices could/might rise. Your downside is that while you might not lose money if there was a cancellation you wouldn't get the vacation you had planned on. That's the situation people who had booked earlier for cruises scheduled now. Or worse still just think about those that did go on the cruises, that may have just ended last weekending Florida.

 

Those people had booked well before they really knew what was possible. The same can't be said about anyone booking now. Before you can have a cruising industry you need to have open borders. That is not the case at this time. Again, while everyone hopes this will happen sooner than later, making a purchase with the hope as opposed to the knowledge that something else needs to happens first is considered speculative.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Treyatl2006 said:

You should have waited since they more than likely they will cancel most of the bookings untill mid June. You would have gotten ffc and $600 in obc.

Last Thursday, cancelled our May 23 sailing on the Magic and rebooked same itinerary on the Breeze February 2021. Got the difference in OBC as well as the $600. Call your Carnival rep and work it out. Our guy took care of us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2020 at 9:28 AM, firefly333 said:

Not all. Conquest class has none.. I've done every 1a on conquest. The 3 on deck 6 7 and 8 have 2 twins that push together. Mid deck next to laundry. I usually have a hard time deciding between those and a port hole.

 

I've only done dream 1a portholdes, not every 1a. You said you were forward deck 2, now say well the 1a on deck 11 is upper and lower when I said the 1a on deck 2 isn't upper and lower.

 

Magic came to Galveston later after you couldnt book 1a for 150% so I havent been in every 1a on magic, which is same as dream. .. been in every 1a I think on conquest. It has no upper and lowers anywhere on the ship.

 

I last did a 1a on vista, it's not upper and lower, though its further forward than other ships and we were bothered by the sound of waves hitting the hull. But was as on conquest and magic 1a I have done, one twin and one sofa bed.

Cabins 1211 and 1212 on Conquest class are upper/lower portholes.  They have a twin bed and an upper pullman.  My source is that I was in 1212 on the Valor on the 12/30/19 sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tiger0613 said:

Cabins 1211 and 1212 on Conquest class are upper/lower portholes.  They have a twin bed and an upper pullman.  My source is that I was in 1212 on the Valor on the 12/30/19 sailing.

Ok pt taken. I was in like 1207 and next door. I forget exact cabin numbers. 2208? Thought I'd peeked into them all. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...