APRIL 6 REFUND THREAD: Have you received your refund?

edl868

Was cruising mid May, the cancel came out from Carnival Whenever it was cancelling May sailings and a week later I emailed the cancel link. Was not sure about cancelling or getting the $600 was the reason for the delay. Got my money 3 or 4 days ago.

My daughter just got all her money back for the same May cruise and she cancelled a week before Carnival did. I thought Carnival was holding certain funds for FCC if you cancelled before Carnival did? Not complaining, just thought that was how it was...

Here is my tale of woe!! My wife and I were booked on back to back cruises on the “Legend” for October 20 and the 30th, with the 30th being a transatlantic. Carnival informed us, I am also the agent of record, that they are canceling us and to proceed to their site to request a refund or future cruise credit. Of course I did that. One week later I went to the Carnival booking engine and the cruise was still on record as being active. So I cancelled both. Ten days later I received 2 emails from Carnival stating that they were sorry that my clients cancelled the cruises, with no penalty. 
Let’s fast forward to May 28, I called Carnival again and to my surprise, I was told that I did nothing in advising Carnival what I wanted to do with the deposit money. The agent then put in the request to refund my deposits. So Carnival sat on our $1600 all this time. Today, June 5th, I wrote to Carnival Guest Relations and told them they had enough time sitting on our money and to refund it ASAP. 
Next step is to file a written claim to my credit card company to press Carnival to refund our deposits.

They take the money fast enough, but sure drag their feet returning it.

I had a cruise scheduled for May 22 that was canceled by Carnival.  Transferred all monies paid to a July cruise, that was also canceled by Carnival.  Received the email about the July cancellation on May 4 and completed the online refund form on May 5 (and talked to someone at Carnival later that week).

I received my full refund today.

Received my deposit from my March 30th canceled cruise. But still waiting for my cruise fare refund. Carnival says it was issued April 6th . Guest relations says it takes time. Feeling frustrated...

I am frustrated also, was on a cruise on march 7th, with a back to back on

March 14th. The 14th was canceled by Carnival, received the email about

either refund or FCC. Took the refund, finally received an email from Carnival

stating that they received my choice for refund on May 28th ?  Why so long

so they have had my money for that long, and told me they have 90 days

from May 28th to credit my credit Card, insult to injury, it is the Carnival

Mastercard Lol.  

We had an April 5 cruise scheduled. The very day I got the email, I filled out the form for a full refund. Fast fwd to last week. I finally snapped and decided to call CCL on Tuesday. A very nice and helpful lady informed me that my refund had just been authorized that very day, and I would be seeing it hit my MC in the next couple of days. Now it's Monday. Still nothing. Was she telling the truth, or did she say what I wanted to hear to get me off the phone?

6 minutes ago, wms99 said:

We had an April 5 cruise scheduled. The very day I got the email, I filled out the form for a full refund. Fast fwd to last week. I finally snapped and decided to call CCL on Tuesday. A very nice and helpful lady informed me that my refund had just been authorized that very day, and I would be seeing it hit my MC in the next couple of days. Now it's Monday. Still nothing. Was she telling the truth, or did she say what I wanted to hear to get me off the phone?

6 minutes ago, wms99 said:

Mine were processed on April 8, but landed in account just last week. Just be patient.

I came here specifically to see how refunds were going.   Glad to see they are trickling in.

Our cruise was suppose to leave May 30th.   When we received the email stating our cruise was cancelled, I filled out the form requesting a full refund.   Due to the virus my oldest daughter was now unemployed, and could use the $.    Then, I went straight on line and manually cancelled all excursions and miscellaneous purchases.   That was on April 13th.   About a week later a Carnival cruise consultant called me, verbally advising me that our cruise was cancelled and asked if I would like to apply those funds to a future cruise.   I told him I had already filled out he form requested a refund.   He started to try to sell me on reconsidering a future cruise, etc.   I let him know about my daughter's situation (single mother of two), and that right now she needed the money more than the cruise.  Not to mention that my grandson (who was going) is high risk - as he is on chemo.  So, I was not interested in rebooking any cruise at this time.    He told me he would put in the paperwork and try to rush through our refund.  Then he gave me his direct # if we need anything further.

On May 14th I got all our money back for things we purchased - bubbles, excursions, FTTF, room decorations, gifts, etc.   It was weird as I didn't see it at first but noticed my balance in my account had changed.  While they showed up on my two cards (one checking card/one credit) on May 14th, they were all dated April 14th.   But I did get all that back.  So at this point I'm only missing the actual cruise money, including port fees, etc - for three staterooms.

I called the cruise consultant and asked about the actual cruise money.   He told me that since I didn't book directly with Carnival, that it may take longer.   He claimed he could see my refund in their system, waiting for the TA to approve it - and that it was dated April 24th.   So I called my TA, who I do trust - I've worked with her for many years and she has helped in numerous ways.   She told me they are not in this loop, that as the charges/fees go directly from me to them (which is supported by how my card is charged) it isn't waiting on them, but that with the quantity of refunds being issued it may take a while for me to get it.  So I am still waiting.   We are almost at the 60 day mark from being cancelled.

So, as previously stated I am encouraged to read refunds are going out.    Going in cruise order makes sense, and I'm happy to wait my turn.   I just want to believe it is coming.   

18 hours ago, DB2VA said:

Received my deposit from my March 30th canceled cruise. But still waiting for my cruise fare refund. Carnival says it was issued April 6th . Guest relations says it takes time. Feeling frustrated...

Carnival accounting now says it's a bank problem. They said they would check into it.

1 hour ago, deb63 said:

I came here specifically to see how refunds were going.   Glad to see they are trickling in.

Our cruise was suppose to leave May 30th.   When we received the email stating our cruise was cancelled, I filled out the form requesting a full refund.   Due to the virus my oldest daughter was now unemployed, and could use the $.    Then, I went straight on line and manually cancelled all excursions and miscellaneous purchases.   That was on April 13th.   About a week later a Carnival cruise consultant called me, verbally advising me that our cruise was cancelled and asked if I would like to apply those funds to a future cruise.   I told him I had already filled out he form requested a refund.   He started to try to sell me on reconsidering a future cruise, etc.   I let him know about my daughter's situation (single mother of two), and that right now she needed the money more than the cruise.  Not to mention that my grandson (who was going) is high risk - as he is on chemo.  So, I was not interested in rebooking any cruise at this time.    He told me he would put in the paperwork and try to rush through our refund.  Then he gave me his direct # if we need anything further.

On May 14th I got all our money back for things we purchased - bubbles, excursions, FTTF, room decorations, gifts, etc.   It was weird as I didn't see it at first but noticed my balance in my account had changed.  While they showed up on my two cards (one checking card/one credit) on May 14th, they were all dated April 14th.   But I did get all that back.  So at this point I'm only missing the actual cruise money, including port fees, etc - for three staterooms.

I called the cruise consultant and asked about the actual cruise money.   He told me that since I didn't book directly with Carnival, that it may take longer.   He claimed he could see my refund in their system, waiting for the TA to approve it - and that it was dated April 24th.   So I called my TA, who I do trust - I've worked with her for many years and she has helped in numerous ways.   She told me they are not in this loop, that as the charges/fees go directly from me to them (which is supported by how my card is charged) it isn't waiting on them, but that with the quantity of refunds being issued it may take a while for me to get it.  So I am still waiting.   We are almost at the 60 day mark from being cancelled.

So, as previously stated I am encouraged to read refunds are going out.    Going in cruise order makes sense, and I'm happy to wait my turn.   I just want to believe it is coming.   

After reading this, and others that have booked through a TA, I can honestly say that I am glad I do all my own booking. It has reinforced my belief that it’s better to have total control. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

After reading this, and others that have booked through a TA, I can honestly say that I am glad I do all my own booking. It has reinforced my belief that it’s better to have total control. 

I feel the same way but the thread that really enforces that feeling is the one about the TA that has gone out of business. CCL won't cancel the cruise until they investigate the situation with the TA.

3 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I agree with you on that

17 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I have to admit there are times I regret not having total control.   So, I totally respect and understand booking directly.    But I've had emergencies come up at the last minute, where the TA I use was very helpful, not to mention she has added to our experience, so I will continue to use her.    

In this specific case though, I believe the TA not the CCL rep that called me.    My charges, even though I used a TA were made directly to CCL, not to the travel agency.   And the agency did not file bankruptcy.   So, I'm not sure why the travel agency would be the slow down here.   But, when I asked the TA about what the CCL rep said, she was able to verify that my refund was in the CCL queue dated 4/24th, just like the CCL rep said it was.   She estimated at the rate the refunds were actually being "pushed" through, I should have it sometime in June.   I came here to see what other cruisers were experiencing, and it seems to line up.   So, here's hoping.

May 4th - Carnival cancelled my July 27th cruise

May 7th - Called Carnival to request full refund instead of filling out the online form

May 21st - Received refund for port taxes and fees as well as Faster to the fun

June 6th - Refunded in full

A lot quicker then I thought it would take. Hope this gives some a glimmer of hope.

My TA confirmed with Carnival our bookings were just now cancelled and the refund request is with Carnival accounting dept. Hoping not much longer now. Apr 11 cruise cancelled Mar 27 and our formal cancellation request from our TA to Carnival placed on Mar 30.

Here is something interesting to share about my experience with refunds.  This is by no means a shot at Carnival but more a symptom of the cluster they were faced with.  Everyone has been very helpful getting it all fixed and we came out of it in good shape.

Cruise was scheduled for 3/26/2020, 2 interior rooms out of Galveston.  It was a girl's (women) cruise and when we started to see our vacation slipping away rebooking was hard to schedule with kids etc among 5 of us.  On April 6th we decided to cancel and take refunds, understanding that they would take some time to get.  On April 20th I received the deposit from one of the rooms but not the other room, balances on the rooms were paid for with discounted gift cards.   Called Carnival and was assured that the other room was cancelled to and it was probably hung up in the volume of refunds.  Well here we are in June, still no gift cards or deposits on the second room.  Called Carnival to rebook a different cancelled cruise from 2019 and had them check what was going on.  Well, according to this new rep I never cancelled the second room and had in fact chose to rebook.  What?  Oh and all my gift cards for the purchase of both Cheers! and the balance payment on the first room (that got cancelled) was sent to my travel agent.  My travel agent is Costco.  What???

Called Costco to see what the protocol was for this, they said no they don't do that.  They called Carnival, and confirmed they infact did send my gift cards to Costco.  Who knows where they are now!  Costco spent all day today trying to work with Carnival to track them down and they are now being reissued and over-nighted to Costco and then Costco will send them to me.  Costco was shocked and said they would have to consider if they could continue to allow payment with GC if this is their policy. Not my rodeo, not my bull.

What a mess.  

Good news is that the ladies in the room that was cancelled/not cancelled are ready for a vacation and said don't cancel lets rebook and get the OBC.  

So refunds were processed within 30 days for the cabin they actually cancelled, but gift cards were sent to Costco.  Also, this is the second cruise that has been cancelled that has been paid for with gift cards.  The hassle with gift cards when this happens, will no longer be worth the 10% discount for a little while for me.

• Like 1