APRIL 6 REFUND THREAD: Have you received your refund?

edl868

I know many have responded to your question if we had received a notification telling us when we could get our refund back.  My answer is NO.  I will try to explain my situation with a few words. I had never booked through a PVP before, but I decided to do it this time.  Normally I use a TA where I live. Two days before we were to cruise, I received a notification that our cruise was cancelled. Just a couple days later I got pretty sick, but not from the virus, thank God! I had NOT filled out any form for my credit to come back to me, or called anyone, but my PVP called, wanting to know how I wanted to handle the funds, whether to book (I was so sick, I didn't even want to think about it) another cruise, or just have the 4 rooms that were booked, refund back on my credit card since I paid for all of them, and I said YES.  She then told me it would be about 90 days. Probably about two or three weeks went by, and I decided to check and see what was on my credit card, etc. Low and behold, there was ALL of the refund back on my card, I would say within a 3 week period.  Now whether me saying that "if" everything turned out alright and I got all my money back, I would book with her, I don't know, but I was very pleased that it was on my credit card that soon.

• Like 1

I posted before on this thread, but have an update to our scenario.

We had three cabins booked for a May 30, 2020 cruise.    Our cruise was cancelled 4/13th.    Just an FYI, I did book through a 3rd party.  A travel agent that I love, so would not book without.    Anyhow, I elected a full refund.   My adult daughter had lost her job due to the virus, and her son was diagnosed with a form of cancer.  So, the money was needed more than a future cruise.

I was called 4/21st by a Carnival cruise rep who tried to talk me into changing it to a FCC.   I explained about my daughter and grandson.   He told me he was entering the data for the refund, and I should have it within a month.

31 days from my cruise being cancelled I got back all the money for gifts/purchases (drink package, room decorations, OBC I purchased for my daughters stateroom).

35 days from my cruise being cancelled I got back all the money for excursions.

At 60 days after being cancelled I did call Carnival, just to make sure there wasn't a problem, since the cruise rep had said it would take a month.   they said my refund was in the "queue" and would pay out eventually.

Today, I got the rest of my money.   95 days after the cruise was cancelled I have been back paid in full.    Ironically, today is my birthday.  So, happy birthday to me.   🙂    

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, deb63 said:

We had three cabins booked for a May 30, 2020 cruise.    Our cruise was cancelled 4/13th.    Just an FYI, I did book through a 3rd party.  A travel agent that I love, so would not book without.    Anyhow, I elected a full refund.   My adult daughter had lost her job due to the virus, and her son was diagnosed with a form of cancer.  So, the money was needed more than a future cruise.

Today, I got the rest of my money.   95 days after the cruise was cancelled I have been back paid in full.    Ironically, today is my birthday.  So, happy birthday to me.   🙂    

I'm sorry that your daughter lost her job and so sorry your grandson has cancer.  Prayers for you and your family that recovery is quick.  Happy birthday to you and I'm glad Carnival took care of your monies in a timely fashion🙂

2 hours ago, deb63 said:

I was called 4/21st by a Carnival cruise rep who tried to talk me into changing it to a FCC.   I explained about my daughter and grandson.   He told me he was entering the data for the refund, and I should have it within a month.

31 days from my cruise being cancelled I got back all the money for gifts/purchases (drink package, room decorations, OBC I purchased for my daughters stateroom).

35 days from my cruise being cancelled I got back all the money for excursions.

At 60 days after being cancelled I did call Carnival, just to make sure there wasn't a problem, since the cruise rep had said it would take a month.   they said my refund was in the "queue" and would pay out eventually.

Today is my birthday too!

Happy Birthday... fellow 7/17-er. 

My HAL cruise was cancelled on March 30. I got steak house and excursion money back (about 45 days out) but not our deposits or travel insurance yet. Booked via Xpedia. Ugghhhh. Maybe it is today. I have to go look....

Edited by laumicmah

4 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm sorry that your daughter lost her job and so sorry your grandson has cancer.  Prayers for you and your family that recovery is quick.  Happy birthday to you and I'm glad Carnival took care of your monies in a timely fashion🙂

Thank you for the prayers.    My grandson is doing well.   While I wish he didn't have to go through this, the type of cancer he has does have a very high survival rate.  The timing of the refund was good, it will help them a lot.

3 hours ago, laumicmah said:

Today is my birthday too!

Happy Birthday... fellow 7/17-er. 

My HAL cruise was cancelled on March 30. I got steak house and excursion money back (about 45 days out) but not our deposits or travel insurance yet. Booked via Xpedia. Ugghhhh. Maybe it is today. I have to go look....

Happy birthday to you too!!   Good luck with your refund.   

3 hours ago, deb63 said:

Thank you for the prayers.    My grandson is doing well.   While I wish he didn't have to go through this, the type of cancer he has does have a very high survival rate.  The timing of the refund was good, it will help them a lot.

Happy birthday to you too!!   Good luck with your refund.   

Didn't come today. 

My cruise out of Galveston 11th April was cancelled 30th march and I applied for a refund. My cousin and I had 2 cabins booked , we booked through a UK TA. I received my fun shop purchases on 4th June. It is now 110 days. I have received 2 emails from Carnival confirming my refund has been paid to my travel agent. I have tried resolver, reply was the TA has not received refund. Tried chargeback 2 weeks ago and still waiting for the company to act. To tell the truth , I am very angry. I am only going to book direct in future. Really happy for all you cruisers that have received your refunds. Rant over.

5 hours ago, dalmation lover said:

My cruise out of Galveston 11th April was cancelled 30th march and I applied for a refund. My cousin and I had 2 cabins booked , we booked through a UK TA. I received my fun shop purchases on 4th June. It is now 110 days. I have received 2 emails from Carnival confirming my refund has been paid to my travel agent. I have tried resolver, reply was the TA has not received refund. Tried chargeback 2 weeks ago and still waiting for the company to act. To tell the truth , I am very angry. I am only going to book direct in future. Really happy for all you cruisers that have received your refunds. Rant over.

I can’t stress this enough, book only directly by yourself. I know a lot of you swear by TA, and even some had no problems getting your refunds, but the vast majority booked with a TA have had all kinds of issues, some still waiting for money for cruises in April. I booked direct, and had no issues. They said it would take 90 days to me, and it took 60. And I received every single penny back to my account. 

• Like 1

Apparently 90 days only starts from when Carnival processes your refund request. They confirmed to me that although I submitted my RF request on Apr 1, they didn't process it until Apr 27. The 90 day clock starts then...that is garbage.

• Like 1

I had booked a cruise for 9/14/20 on Elation and requested OBC on 6/22, was promissed Port tax refund and insurance refund in 30 days by my favorite online discount TA.  I am hopping to rebook as soon as possible, but I need the tax refund first.  Now I'm told 60 to 90 days at end of the fist 30 days, not happy expectations were set and not met.  Does anyone know if the TA has any influence or are they just observers like me?  Would booking direct with Carnival save or rduce the refund wait time? 

Carnival cancelled my Sept.20th 2020 Radiance cruise out of NYC on April 1st. Filled out the refund form April 2nd that was sent via email. Waited til April 27th to call Carnival to find out the status of the refund. I'm a travel agent and knew the refund was taking unusually long; I should at have least had confirmation that the cruise was cancelled in the Cruise Manager, but it was still showing. Called Carnival and the rep said they haven't even looked at the forms yet as there were so many, but he went ahead and cancelled the cruise right then and there. It disappeared from my Cruise Manager. I was told I'd receive a full refund for the cruise, airfare, and transfers. Again I waited til May 28th, upon which time I filed a chargeback to the credit card I'd booked with. I really didn't want to go that route, but I've seen a lot of troubling things regarding Carnival and knew it might be a good idea in the event that something goes south for Carnival Corp with all this COVID mess. I'm glad I did, as today the chargeback was granted in my favour for the full amount, and I STILL hadn't received a refund from Carnival for any of the package, 113 days later.

So glad this chapter is over.

Filed to cancel our cruise for January in March, as I am high risk for Covid19. We were super patient as we knew how crazy busy they were and that it could take up to 90 days. After 2 months without even a confirmation email, I tried calling Carnival, but could not get through. Eventually, in June, I reached out to the man who booked my cruise, asking him to give me or my partner a call. (At this point the cruise we were booked on had actually been canceled by Carnival, yet we still had not heard back from them.) He said he would, but never did. I reached out again the other day. He replied very nastily back to me saying that he in fact DID talk to me and even transferred me to the refund department. I said, “oh I’m sorry, but that must have been another client. I have never received a call and neither did my boyfriend. I can send you my phone log from that date.” He said “I call everyone back. But call me on Monday.” I insisted I never spoke with him and wished him a good weekend.... “ok”.... What a nice response, right? How is it that I can be human enough to understand that he has probably been so busy that he got me confused with another client... yet he is too pompous to think that that wasn’t even a possibility? So yesterday I sent an email to the guest care team. I know the office is closed, but I’m running out of options. I’m only 23 and worked really hard to save up and book my first adult vacation. Carnival was sweet as pie when I was booking and now they are ghosting me. This is genuinely not okay customer service. I’m so upset by this. I really just want my refund. And we used a debit card for monthly payments, so it is difficult to dispute. My dad suggested that I make a claim with the Better Business Bureau. My mom suggested I reach out to others in my situation and make a post on social media go viral. I’m not quite sure what the answer is, but I just know that this is not right. 

Around March 24th we applied for a full refund for a May 21st Radiance cruise out of Barcelona. I've contacted CCL, filed a credit card dispute and still waiting for our 4 cabin refund.  It's been 126 days and they are still making interest off of our $12K!!!!  Ridiculous!!!

5 hours ago, Reva_Dearchi said:

Around March 24th we applied for a full refund for a May 21st Radiance cruise out of Barcelona. I've contacted CCL, filed a credit card dispute and still waiting for our 4 cabin refund.  It's been 126 days and they are still making interest off of our $12K!!!!  Ridiculous!!!

It is hard to figure out what is going on with refunds. I filed online  but someone said call, so I did and received the refund back to my CC  in 13 days    126 days is just not acceptable   I sure hope you resolve the issue

20 hours ago, 48traveler said:

It is hard to figure out what is going on with refunds. I filed online  but someone said call, so I did and received the refund back to my CC  in 13 days    126 days is just not acceptable   I sure hope you resolve the issue

Finally settled TODAY but not via CCL providing the refund directly to me.  My credit card company  settled it via a dispute I raised.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 48traveler said:

i had the same problem. i was shocked at how fast i received my refund when i called compare to waiting.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 9:00 AM, Jbella101 said:

Filed to cancel our cruise for January in March, as I am high risk for Covid19. We were super patient as we knew how crazy busy they were and that it could take up to 90 days. After 2 months without even a confirmation email, I tried calling Carnival, but could not get through. Eventually, in June, I reached out to the man who booked my cruise, asking him to give me or my partner a call. (At this point the cruise we were booked on had actually been canceled by Carnival, yet we still had not heard back from them.) He said he would, but never did. I reached out again the other day. He replied very nastily back to me saying that he in fact DID talk to me and even transferred me to the refund department. I said, “oh I’m sorry, but that must have been another client. I have never received a call and neither did my boyfriend. I can send you my phone log from that date.” He said “I call everyone back. But call me on Monday.” I insisted I never spoke with him and wished him a good weekend.... “ok”.... What a nice response, right? How is it that I can be human enough to understand that he has probably been so busy that he got me confused with another client... yet he is too pompous to think that that wasn’t even a possibility? So yesterday I sent an email to the guest care team. I know the office is closed, but I’m running out of options. I’m only 23 and worked really hard to save up and book my first adult vacation. Carnival was sweet as pie when I was booking and now they are ghosting me. This is genuinely not okay customer service. I’m so upset by this. I really just want my refund. And we used a debit card for monthly payments, so it is difficult to dispute. My dad suggested that I make a claim with the Better Business Bureau. My mom suggested I reach out to others in my situation and make a post on social media go viral. I’m not quite sure what the answer is, but I just know that this is not right. 

Jbella101, sorry you are missing out on your first real adult vacation 😞

Did you call a Carnival PVP directly? or is this a travel agent? 

If it is a Carnival person, i would call back and talk to someone else..and let them know also how you were treated.

Did you go ahead and fill out the online form for your refund?

I agree with Jbella101, I had booked 4 rooms through a PVP for the "first" time.  I really didn't know if it would work out, as I have, in my many cruises, always used a TA. I knew we had two choices when we were notified that the cruise was cancelled because of the Coronavirus.  I had been sick, so I did not contact my PVP, and surprising to me, she contacted me.  I told her I didn't want to book anything right now, and wanted ALL my money back on my credit card as I had paid for all 4 rooms.  I would say within two or three weeks, I received my money.  I did tell her if everything worked out, I would rebook with her.  Now whether that had anything with her getting my money to me sooner I don't know, but I hope each and everyone that has not received their money, and did not rebook, get their refund.

So got an e-mail today that Citi CC resolved the dispute in my favor. It was for one of the trip insurance charges (for 1 of the 2 cabins). I went on my CC website to read message and it also resolved the $350 deposit for one cabin in our favor back in the beginning of July. Now waiting for the 2nd cabin's trip insurance (that deposit is held by HAL as future cruise credit since we cancelled it before final payment and it was some non-cancel-able deal). This is for a HAL Canada cruise that was supposed to sail July 11th. We cancelled on March 30th. This was booked on X pedia and used a Citibank X pedia card. I submitted the CC disputes around the 60 day mark, so end of May.

Edited by laumicmah

I did not take out insurance through Carnival, but another company for our flight and cruise.  I had been putting it off for a LONG time checking into it, and finally decided to take the bull by the horns and see "if" we would still be covered for another cruise, since the one in March was cancelled because of the virus.  Thank God she told me we would be covered until January 2022, so at least money on this, hopefully will not be lost, and we'll be able to cruise next year!

I almost can’t believe it, but I finally got my refund. It took 136 DAYS from the time I canceled my June 6 Vista cruise to actually getting the $3,500 in my bank account. Here’s two things I learned the hard way:

1. There’s no such thing as “patience and understanding” when dealing with a multi-billion-dollar corporation. Instead of waiting out the 90 days patiently, I should have been calling at regular intervals and (politely) demanding my money. Carnival said one reason my refund took so long was that “it kept getting skipped over somehow.” It didn’t even enter processing until I started calling around the 90-day mark. 
  2. I wish, wish, wish I had filed a chargeback. It would have saved me the disappointment of checking my bank account every day for four months and seeing no refund. My money could have been in my account earning interest, instead of Carnival’s. 

I’ve done three cruises in the past few years (Mexico with Carnival in 2017, Alaska with Princess in 2018, and the Mediterranean with Holland America in 2019), but I am probably not giving Carnival any more money any time soon.

I hope all you folks still waiting for your money back stay safe and receive good news soon!