Refund/Voucher policy

KyOh

Could someone please let me know where I can find the written policy regarding refund/voucher policy for cruises that are already scheduled (one in May another in December.)  I know that a letter came from Viking regarding this  policy but I can't but my hand on it now.  Please help!

30MAR2020

Dear Viking Guests,

I am writing to you today from my home, rather than the Viking office. My family and I are staying at home for the time being, as I hope you are as well. It is an adjustment for all of us and particularly for someone like me, who spends most of his time traveling. But we are truly living in an unprecedented time.

Since we started Viking nearly 23 years ago, we have always cared first and foremost about our guests and our employees. I feel we have become one large Viking family of 500,000 guests each year and 10,000 employees. Since day one, it has been our mission to create experiences for our guests that focus on the destination and allow them to explore the world in comfort. This has always been Viking’s ambition and will remain so.

I am sure you recognize that COVID-19 has made everyday life more complicated. On March 11, we were the first cruise line to announce a temporary suspension of operations through April 30, 2020. In the time since that announcement, many of you have expressed concern for our crew, and I want to reassure you that we are taking good care of them. We are using this period of non-operation as a time for additional training and initiatives to ensure we have the safest and healthiest fleet in the industry. As a private company we do not have to worry about quarterly profit expectations – and that flexibility allows us the ability to do what is best for our guests and our employees.

In that spirit, we have made the decision to extend our temporary suspension of operations through June 30, 2020.

As a guest whose cruise falls within this window of suspended operations, we are offering a Future Cruise Voucher valued at 125% of all monies paid to Viking. By adding 25% to the value of what you originally paid, you now have the opportunity to enhance your trip – such as choosing a longer itinerary; adding a Pre/Post cruise extension; upgrading your stateroom category; or even upgrading to business class air. You will have 24 months to use your Future Cruise Voucher to make a new reservation on any river, ocean or expedition cruise. For additional flexibility, if you are unable to use your voucher, we will automatically send you a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking after the voucher expires. The 125% Future Cruise Voucher will also be fully transferable. Click here for more information about your 125% Future Cruise Voucher.

Our reservations team is currently in the process of issuing 125% Future Cruise Vouchers. However, if you prefer the alternative, you may choose a refund equal to the amount paid, by calling Viking at 1-833-900-0951 by April 6, 2020.

Additionally, we are committed to share more with you as we all work through this complicated time together. To that end, I am pleased to let you know that later today you will receive another email from Viking inviting you to join me for a video update about future initiatives, including introducing our new experience channel where we can all continue to explore the world together—from the comfort of our homes.

We will continue to stand by you, as well as our employees and partners, and hope that you will continue to stand by us. 

Sincerely yours,

Torstein Hagen
Chairman

Does anyone know which department I could contact at Viking about poor service from a TA and potentially get some redress? I used a TA, based on a referral from an acquaintance, to make my booking. Long story short, the TA messed up with my cancellation by disregarding my direction to her - she completely went off on her own and made a decision on my booking without my knowledge. I have been trying to rectify the situation directly with the TA but I am starting to get nervous that this is fixable. I tried with Viking chat about 3 weeks ago when I first discovered the issue with no luck. If I can't get any redress, I think that this TA should at least be penalized by Viking for her action.

Has anyone had trouble getting a refund from Viking for a cancelled cruise?

Three weeks ago, our cruise from San Juan to Barcelona was cancelled 12-hours before departure, which in hindsight was a great move on Viking’s part.

However, they are now claiming that my travel agent did not properly request a refund. And now it’s past the deadline to request a refund.

Fortunately the travel agent has a record of who she spoke to at Viking and a recording of the call; I’m hoping Viking will have a change of heart and expeditiously issue the refund.

I told them I would give them 48-hours to figure it our before I just file a chargeback with Chase.

I’m interested to hear other people’s experiences. Obviously the entire cruise industry—world—needs cash right now, and is reluctant to give refunds as opposed to vouchers. But I had expected better from Viking.

Edited by shellzj

42 minutes ago, shellzj said:

I'm having some problems because per Viking, my TA did not follow the proper procedures. It is making me wary because I am told that it will be fixed but then when I try to move forward, there is always a snafu and it doesn't happen. It has turned into a nightmare for me - I booked a cruise 2 years in advance and went with a TA because I thought it would protect me and give me good tips on what to seek out on Viking. I won't ever do this again.

Your situation sounds similar to mine, where Viking is blaming the TA.

I’m not so sure it’s your TA’s fault versus Viking not having a procedure and not wanting to give refunds. 

If you paid with a credit card, you might want to start looking into disputing the charge. 

18 minutes ago, shellzj said:

Your situation sounds similar to mine, where Viking is blaming the TA.

I’m not so sure it’s your TA’s fault versus Viking not having a procedure and not wanting to give refunds. 

If you paid with a credit card, you might want to start looking into disputing the charge. 

Read (or re-read) post #24 above. Also post #22 cites the procedure and due date tom request cash. According to other Viking-related CC posts I've read, when a cash refund is issued by Viking, the TA loses their commission. #24 states a different situation than yours, so maybe your TA is at fault. Did you hear the recording? Was it made before the deadline?

Our opinions are usually based on personal experiences. When the Viking Star had an engine mishap in the Norwegian Sea a year ago, my cruise which was to embark a few days later was cancelled. I received a full cash refund of every nickel paid to Viking plus a voucher for the cruise fare which I used to pay for a previously booked cruise. Two days later, Fedex Ex knocks on the door with separate letters for me and my wife containing checks for SBC connected with the cancelled cruise. Viking didn't have to do that. Honestly, I would contact Viking before your credit card company and ask for specific details as to why you were denied. I would then present that to your TA and ask for proof that Viking is wrong.

I have to add that I use the same Viking agent rather than a TA. Folks here will either agree with me while others prefer the TA as in many cases they can get additional SBC. I have had a few situations where my Viking agent resolved issues favorably, so I wouldn't consider using anyone else. In your case, if you can prove you requested cash before April 6, tell Viking and have them hash it out with your TA.

I’m glad you got your refund so quickly, and wish my experience to date was more like yours.

But the entire cruise industry shutting down due to a pandemic vs one ship having an accident is an entirely different scale. 

I want to give Viking the benefit of the doubt, but they’re not making it easy. First, why is there an arbitrary deadline? Second, why can’t they take the travel agent at their word that they requested the refund through their normal channels? Do they really need to analyze call recordings? 

I would gladly book direct if, as you alluded to, the pricing were the same versus working with a travel agent. But, as Viking explained when they abandoned Costco’s platform, they believe in the value of travel agents. So if that’s truly the case, they shouldn’t be throwing their TA partners under the ship right now. 

Issuing a refund is not difficult for a company to do; in fact it’s a single click on most electronic payment gateways. The firm just has to have the money and the will to do it

• 4 weeks later...

We have done two VO cruises and have 2 more booked and we also have 2 VR cruise booked.

Our VR June cruise was cancelled and we were very happy taking the Voucher offer.

Chatting with Viking UK (where we live) they advised everything would be done through our TA - fair enough.

Surprise surprise when the emails land in my wife and my inboxes. Next surprise was her voucher was about 45% of original whereas mine was about 28% of original. Plus our TA was not copied.

Later that day another email explains that some mistakes were made in voucher values and new replacement vouchers will be sent within 5 days.

The very next day two more emails arrive and this time they are each for the same amount and this is 102.5% of the original cruise instead of 125%.

At least we know they are working on the voucher!!!

Stay Safe Stay Healthy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi we got our corrected FCV for our cancelled Alaska trip and after the first error we received the full 125%.

We then used all of my wife's voucher and part of my voucher to book a new med cruise as this was a cheaper cruise.

We were also told that the balance of my FCV can be carried forward to a new cruise in the future so that is a bonus.

Edited by bishopbill
error

3 hours ago, bishopbill said:

Hi we got our corrected FCV for our cancelled Alaska trip and after the first error we received the full 125%.

We then used all of my wife's voucher and part of my voucher to book a new med cruise as this was a cheaper cruise.

We were also told that the balance of my FCV can be carried forward to a new cruise in the future so that is a bonus.

Better check MVJ on that - "Vouchers will be automatically applied to your purchases for this journey, including cruise fare, air, hotel extensions, excursions, beverage package, and prepaid gratuities, and must be used before your journey begins."

We were lied to by at least four Viking reps in regard to use of FCV.

I mostly agree with duquephart. FCV policies change and can be different. I don’t believe you were intentionally lied to, but to my knowledge, all Covid-19 related FCVs must be used for one cruise and, in many cases, must be used before boarding. You can upgrade your cabin, get pre & post extensions, excursions, tips, silver spirits, etc. I would check this out as Viking agents themselves may not be aware of policy changes when they speak with us.

53 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

I mostly agree with duquephart. FCV policies change and can be different. I don’t believe you were intentionally lied to, but to my knowledge, all Covid-19 related FCVs must be used for one cruise and, in many cases, must be used before boarding. You can upgrade your cabin, get pre & post extensions, excursions, tips, silver spirits, etc. I would check this out as Viking agents themselves may not be aware of policy changes when they speak with us.

Then they should not be making promises in regard to policy. I believe I was told what I was told in order to sell a booking. Viking should stand behind what their reps have promised. As it stands, Viking is no better than "Honest John" at the used car lot.

13 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Then they should not be making promises in regard to policy. I believe I was told what I was told in order to sell a booking. Viking should stand behind what their reps have promised. As it stands, Viking is no better than "Honest John" at the used car lot.

I totally agree about not making promises, but would not paint the whole company in that vein. Viking agents are not all the same, which is why I use only one. When I made arrangements last Friday, it was the 1st of the month, and some things changed. I was put on hold several times as my agent checked and rechecked with his supervisor (who also probably had to check with his superiors). And I do know an honest used car salesman as well.

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

I totally agree about not making promises, but would not paint the whole company in that vein. Viking agents are not all the same, which is why I use only one. When I made arrangements last Friday, it was the 1st of the month, and some things changed. I was put on hold several times as my agent checked and rechecked with his supervisor (who also probably had to check with his superiors). And I do know an honest used car salesman as well.

Interesting. I had heard that there was one on the planet.

On 5/1/2020 at 1:58 PM, Humbb said:

The Risk-Free Guarantee that was supposed to expire on April 30 has now been extended through May.  My quick review of the terms revealed only one change ... FCV's under the program are now transferable. There may be other differences, but that's all I could find right now.🙂

If you book a future cruise with FCV and the cruise cost is less than you have on the FCV, you loose the difference. I have a real problem with this. 

please re-read conditions on May’s extension 

1 hour ago, deec said:

vnb2003

I agree!  Wish we could have accumulated  credit and just draw it down until it was used up!

Yes, this will be the best. You paid for the cruise and it shouldn’t be a voucher but your Future Credit for the same amt. You could use it for new cruise, upgrades, drink package, excursions, etc. 

My point is that if I give Viking my money to use then I expect if not refund, credit to use at MY discretion.6

Wondering if anyone else has had this experience with Viking. First, I do understand the bad position that events have thrust on them. However...I am not happy with the way they are handling this particular situation. My cruise was cancelled by Viking in early March due to Covid. I called on 3/16 to request a refund, instead of a credit. (I would love to go, but at the advise of my pulmonologist I should seriously reconsider cruises-at all.) I spoke to 2 Viking cust. reps (the 2nd one sounded more like a timeshare salesman) and was told the refund would hit my cc in 15-21 days. On 4/8 I receive emails to me and my husband that a credit, not a refund, was issued for a future cruise. I called on 4/8 and the cust. rep. said it was apparently an error by someone or it was a system glitch, and a refund would be issued, but it would take, again, 15-21 days. Ok, so I waited again. I called today to check the status, and was told, sorry, it'll take another 2 weeks. Asked for a supervisor but she told me the same thing - 2 more weeks. No way to hurry it up. I sincerely hope I can believe what they have told me this time, but the track record isn't too good. Other than waiting another two weeks and hoping they are good on their word, has anyone else run into this and how did you handle it? This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth for Viking, even though I had previously thought they were the best.

15 minutes ago, vnb2003 said:

Yes, this will be the best. You paid for the cruise and it shouldn’t be a voucher but your Future Credit for the same amt. You could use it for new cruise, upgrades, drink package, excursions, etc. 

My point is that if I give Viking my money to use then I expect if not refund, credit to use at MY discretion.6

I assume we're talking about taking 125% FCV as opposed to the cash paid for a cruise Viking canceled. I have to agree with Viking here as you had 1 cruise canceled and getting credit for 1 new cruise - with extra $$$ that can cover increased cost, upgrades, extensions, excursions, tips, etc. Or take the cash back. I think that's fair.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

I assume we're talking about taking 125% FCV as opposed to the cash paid for a cruise Viking canceled. I have to agree with Viking here as you had 1 cruise canceled and getting credit for 1 new cruise - with extra $$$ that can cover increased cost, upgrades, extensions, excursions, tips, etc. Or take the cash back. I think that's fair.

The May’s extension of Risk Free cancelation doesn’t have cash back or 125% as credit. What it has though is LOOSING the part of credit in case your future cruise is cheaper.

So your assumption is incorrect.