Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Hllb

Has anyone gotten an extension on final payment date recently?

Recommended Posts

I have one due this week.  I used a TA so can't contact Celebrity directly.  Before I go through the hassle of calling my TA and having them call Celebrity, has anyone gotten an extension on their final payment date?  I'm guessing no, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would mean your cruise is around 90-100 days?   It's going to get cancelled anyway, why make a final payment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably, yes, but if they'll extend the payment date, there's no reason to cancel yet.  It's mid July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hllb said:

Probably, yes, but if they'll extend the payment date, there's no reason to cancel yet.  It's mid July.

Are you considering cancelling your cruise? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Are you considering cancelling your cruise? 

If they need payment this week, yes. I can't see tying up that much money in a cruise that is unlikely to happen. I can't move my plane tickets yet so I've already tied up a large chunk of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the date this week the date your TA has set for payment or the actual Celebrity final payment date.  Our TA has a final payment date earlier that the cruise line and I have been able to get that date moved by a couple of weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hllb said:

If they need payment this week, yes. I can't see tying up that much money in a cruise that is unlikely to happen. I can't move my plane tickets yet so I've already tied up a large chunk of money.

Pay the final payment. If Celebrity cancels your cruise you'll be offered 125% FCC or 100% refund. Much better deal than if you cancel the cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Pay the final payment. If Celebrity cancels your cruise you'll be offered 125% FCC or 100% refund. Much better deal than if you cancel the cruise. 

 

That is a good option for some.  Personally, I would not want to tie up the funds for the  4 + months waiting a refund or a FCC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

 

That is a good option for some.  Personally, I would not want to tie up the funds for the  4 + months waiting a refund or a FCC.

 

That's my take on it too. It's thousands of dollars and if one of us ends up sick and in the hospital (not likely, but possible), then my max out of pocket is almost $14K. We are both working, but my husband already had a pay reduction. It just seems irresponsible to tie up that money for months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Is the date this week the date your TA has set for payment or the actual Celebrity final payment date.  Our TA has a final payment date earlier that the cruise line and I have been able to get that date moved by a couple of weeks.

The original date was 3/31 with my TA.  I called them and they removed the auto payment.  Celebrity's date if 4/13, but my TA warned me they need the payment before that if I want to keep the reservation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hllb said:

 

That's my take on it too. It's thousands of dollars and if one of us ends up sick and in the hospital (not likely, but possible), then my max out of pocket is almost $14K. We are both working, but my husband already had a pay reduction. It just seems irresponsible to tie up that money for months.

Has absolutely nothing to do with being irresponsible. If you can't afford to wait, cancel and take the penalty for cancelling early. I for one consider that throwing money down the toilet. To each their own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, jelayne said:

 

That is a good option for some.  Personally, I would not want to tie up the funds for the  4 + months waiting a refund or a FCC.

The OP wouldn't be waiting four + months for a refund. FCC is a different option which we wouldn't consider. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Has absolutely nothing to do with being irresponsible. If you can't afford to wait, cancel and take the penalty for cancelling early. I for one consider that throwing money down the toilet. To each their own. 

Actually, it does.  We could afford to essentially lose the money, but in this stock market, it's irresponsible to have to pull money out of other accounts to pay potential medical bills. There's also no 'throwing money down the drain' by cancelling early.  I'd still get an FCC for the small deposit we have down. It would potentially be throwing money away to make the final payment because Celebrity could change their policy at any time and may no longer offer 100% refunds for cancelled cruises.  We don't know.

Can we get back to the original question?  If anyone has personal experience, please let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I called Celebrity a few weeks ago to ask if I could get an extension on final payment as I had final payment due for a June 21st cruise. They wouldn't extend it. While I doubt the cruise will happen, I did go ahead and make final payment so I can reassess if I want the refund or FCC when they do cancel. If they don't cancel and things somehow change between now and June, I'll re-evaluate if I'm going to take the cruise closer to that time.  Had I cancelled I would have either lost my $500 non-refundable deposit or had a FCC for $500 with no way of getting the money back in my account, I had seen mixed comments about what happens to non-refundable deposits so didn't want to risk it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AdventureJes said:

I called Celebrity a few weeks ago to ask if I could get an extension on final payment as I had final payment due for a June 21st cruise. They wouldn't extend it. While I doubt the cruise will happen, I did go ahead and make final payment so I can reassess if I want the refund or FCC when they do cancel. If they don't cancel and things somehow change between now and June, I'll re-evaluate if I'm going to take the cruise closer to that time.  Had I cancelled I would have either lost my $500 non-refundable deposit or had a FCC for $500 with no way of getting the money back in my account, I had seen mixed comments about what happens to non-refundable deposits so didn't want to risk it.

I believe I would get the deposit in an FCC, though I haven't read the policy lately to see if it's changed.  I should do that.  And thank for the info. I assume they will not push the date out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not sure why you would expect a fcc for your deposit, rather a refund???

 

If  they do not adjust the final payment date,  and you  cancel before final payment is due, there should  be no penalty if it's a Refundable deposit.  You will eventually get your full deposit back.   Any other scenario is a gamble. 

 

We are working to get as many of our  deposits back that  we can...holding one cruise open where we  might be able to use our fcc.

Edited by hcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Hllb said:

If anyone has personal experience, please let me know.

 

 

33 minutes ago, AdventureJes said:

I called Celebrity a few weeks ago to ask if I could get an extension on final payment as I had final payment due for a June 21st cruise. They wouldn't extend it.

I just called my TA who then called Celebrity and was given the same answer, no extensions on final payments. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hcat said:

Not sure why you would expect a fcc for your deposit, rather a refund???

 

If  they do not adjust the final payment date,  and you  cancel before final payment is due, there should  be no penalty if it's a Refundable deposit.  You will eventually get your full deposit back.   Any other scenario is a gamble. 

 

We are working to get as many of our  deposits back that  we can...holding one cruise open where we  might be able to use our fcc.

Mine is a non-refundable deposit, so I either take the $500 FCC now, or make final payment and hope they cancel and refund all of it later.  But it's unlikely I'll gamble there and I'm OK having the $500 FCC at risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

 

 

I just called my TA who then called Celebrity and was given the same answer, no extensions on final payments. 

That's what I figured.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they went the "Cruise with Confidence" route rather than extending final payment dates.  I'm not making any more final payments until things start back up and there's a bit of clarity on what's going to happen.  I'll take the $100 pp penalty and FCC for any NRD we have.  After all that's what I signed up for when opting for NRD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Pay the final payment. If Celebrity cancels your cruise you'll be offered 125% FCC or 100% refund. Much better deal than if you cancel the cruise. 

Some might consider that throwing good money after bad.  Who knows what a FCC will be worth or what future cruises will cost, or how long it might take to get a refund.  There is no way I'd make a 14,000 final payment on a summer cruise just to protect a 500.00 deposit.

Edited by bouhunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Some might consider that throwing good money after bad.  Who knows what a FCC will be worth or what future cruises will cost, or how long it might take to get a refund.  There is no way I'd make final payment on a summer cruise just to protect a part of a deposit.  Especially 14,000.00.

I don't but I can only speak for myself. No way would I take the FCC. Not even the 125% FCC offer. Another reason why we waited for Celebrity to cancel our cruises so we could take the cash refunds for our two cruises Celebrity cancelled on 13 March. Supposedly (🤞) due to be credited back to my CC on 14 April. What I posted had nothing to do with protecting part of a deposit or losing $100.00 pp hit for a NRD. Going all in (going on the cruise) or waiting for Celebrity to cancel and get all my money returned. Final payment for our September cruise is due in June and I'l pay it at that time. To each their own.  

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I think they went the "Cruise with Confidence" route rather than extending final payment dates.  I'm not making any more final payments until things start back up and there's a bit of clarity on what's going to happen.  I'll take the $100 pp penalty and FCC for any NRD we have.  After all that's what I signed up for when opting for NRD.

good news is, if your cruise qualifies for cruise w/confidence, you'll get the entire deposit back in FCC, no penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, davekathy said:

 

 

I just called my TA who then called Celebrity and was given the same answer, no extensions on final payments. 

My payment to our TA is due 3rd May. 

2 weeks ago when sailings were halted until 12 May, I called to say I wasn’t prepared to pay, when the Silhouette won’t be coming to Southampton on 17 th April. At that time, Cruise with Confidence terminated 31st July. I also said that as we are both over 70 and according to Gov.UK we are advised not to cruise.

The TA said plenty could change before 1st August, so rang Celebrity, who extended payment date to 5 th June.

Since then, I have had a letter from Drs saying that due to multiple long term conditions, I should Self Shield for 12 weeks. There is no way I am now going to pay in full, to be denied boarding, so I hope that Celebrity make an announcement cancelling Europe by the end of April. I may then get a FCC for our deposit. 

However, I am now able to cancel for any reason, as this has been moved to 1st September.

C4202326-F419-4887-B512-6DEA14FB87CD.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...