When cruise lines come back ,will the customers come back

sullyd

GrJ Berkshire,  the airlines will come out of this lean and lighter.  They will park or retire older models;  when they retire a jet; that means they now have less pilots and maint needed to maintain those aircraft.  So less routes, less planes, less employees.  That is what I envision for the the airlines once they start up again. They all will be making big changes;  and change is good

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

GrJ Berkshire,  the airlines will come out of this lean and lighter.  They will park or retire older models;  when they retire a jet; that means they now have less pilots and maint needed to maintain those aircraft.  So less routes, less planes, less employees.  That is what I envision for the the airlines once they start up again. They all will be making big changes;  and change is good

This is probably a better sub-topic for an airline blog.  But the airlines have previously gone the through several "resizings" similar to what you predict.  The immediate impact has been the cancellation of flights to secondary markets which caused lots of inconvenience for travelers who often found themselves needing to drive for hours to get to more distant airports.  While we agree that some change can be good, not sure this part of change is desirable.  There is another trend towards using more of the smaller regional jets in place of larger more comfy aircraft.  Many of these are made by smaller companies such as Embraer and Bombardier.  Many folks are not fans of these narrow body aircraft which some find cramped.  These smaller aircraft are even being used on longer 3-4 hour flights

Hank

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

c - some of us have a higher tolerance for risk and adventure than others, to be sure and evidenced by a few posters here.

We've spent 30 years doing independent travel on six continents. We drink tap water all over the world 🙂 We 'hang' with the locals, eating their food. We take public transpo. You name it and we do it.  I might call it something other than "higher tolerance for risk and adventure." But I'll remain polite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, clo said:

We've spent 30 years doing independent travel on six continents. We drink tap water all over the world 🙂 We 'hang' with the locals, eating their food. We take public transpo. You name it and we do it.  I might call it something other than "higher tolerance for risk and adventure." But I'll remain polite.

c - I Am sure anything you would care to share here will be polite... Rather I agree with it or not.

So, not to worry about that.

Regardless, it does sound like you have had a 'wide exposure' to the world and now have chosen to take a step back given what is going on world-wide and not locally. Very understandable.

While not knowing exact details, I would advance that it is quite possible that you and/or your companions missed the bullet with local endemics which were possibly going on in some of your travels and for that I Am happy.

Because cholera, botulism, E coli, and the like can be very deadly and unless announced in advance, I would suggest that further precautions would have been taken or I would like to think so.

Yet, it sounds like those of us who 'choose' to want to sail as quickly as possible are not in the same league? Or have I missed your point, specifically???

Just because you would not want to in 2020 and possibly beyond, does not mean that others do not want to. I do respect your decision on this, too, it is very understandable!

At any rate, thank you for your input and bon voyage

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 9:28 AM, yorky said:

The price of our cruise has risen by 50% in the last week, that tells me people are booking rooms.

No, it tells me that cruise lines are shamefully ripping off customers with FCC vouchers. They want their cake and eat it. They are trying to get their customers to accept FCC vouchers when their cruise is cancelled adding on 25%, 50% incentive on top of the paid ticket price. Then they have the audacity to raise cruise fares considerably, meaning their FCC vouchers are not worth the paper they are printed on, its a scam and most people have cottoned on to this rip off. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gerryuk said:

No, it tells me that cruise lines are shamefully ripping off customers with FCC vouchers. They want their cake and eat it. They are trying to get their customers to accept FCC vouchers when their cruise is cancelled adding on 25%, 50% incentive on top of the paid ticket price. Then they have the audacity to raise cruise fares considerably, meaning their FCC vouchers are not worth the paper they are printed on, its a scam and most people have cottoned on to this rip off. 

A fair point.

9 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

hindsight, is exactly what it is, unless someone has a crystal ball and refused to disclose the current situation that is reckless, IMO!

I like the idea of planning and executing plans for the future, even if some of them do not pan out.

Without planning then companies and individuals can possibly be stuck in a perpetual state of fear for not knowing what the future will bring.

We can only forecast and move forward and change up when things look like they are not going as planned, contingency planning is in order.

bon voyage

The situation currently is without precedence, not in the last century and even during the world wars has the kind of restrictions been put in place and even during the wars some activities were permitted.  Currently we have the following stopped:  most x-border travel by air/sea/land, all gatherings for church, funerals, personal, sports events.  Activities like sports, bars, restaurants, it is illegal and selfish even to be going over to talk with your neighbor next door, etc. etc.   To think any discussion of cruising starting and with what pretext before those other listed activities is laughable, delusionary and irresponsible.

Safe cruising, LOL 

• Thanks 1

We can certainly dream of our next cruise we all know that life will have to get back to at least seminormal before that will happen,  but will cruise if I am able to as long as I still can afford at least a small suite and first class air to get there. 

• Thanks 1

I just know that going forward, there is NO WAY I will book an inside stateroom, OR the cheapest "partial view" staterooms (As we have always done in the past.)   If we are going to be quarantined in a stateroom, it damn well better be a balcony room!  😁

And to the point of the thread, no, nothing planned for 2020, "MAYBE" winter 2021 (But then again thats as much to do with our income being slashed by 60% this spring as anything else) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

To think any discussion of cruising starting and with what pretext before those other listed activities is laughable, delusionary and irresponsible.

I totally agree. To be anecdotally shallow 🙂 I had a hair appointment for March, that we changed to April and just changed to May with my guess being it will be pushed out to????  And this is mandated by our governor. Thanks for telling it like it is.

When this global health crisis ends and cruise lines start to operate again, I am still positive that customers will come back and start cruising again. It might not be instantly, but people will eventually consider cruising again. Well, after being home quarantined for a long time and being deprived of going out, people would definitely want to travel again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, flowslow said:

Well, after being home quarantined for a long time and being deprived of going out, people would definitely want to travel again

Travel again? Probably yes. But run the risk of being quarantined on a ship???

3 minutes ago, George C said:

If you have no intention of cruising again why are you on this site?

Where on earth do you make that assumption? Boy, there are a whole bunch of people here who can't allow for the idea that the industry has changed. Possibly forever.

On 4/7/2020 at 3:50 AM, Bo1953 said:

p - that was written in jest, FCC's cannot be sold or transferred or bartered.

If found to have been done, then anyone involved will not be sailing ever again on X or RCCL.

bon voyage

One exception is the over 70 passenger who can’t find a doctor willing to certify his or her health. In that instance, the FCC s/he would receive for being denied boarding is transferable, at least for Royal Caribbean. If your screen name denotes the age of your birth, you would be on the transferee end of that transaction. 🙂

2 hours ago, clo said:

Travel again? Probably yes. But run the risk of being quarantined on a ship???

One reason I cancelled an upcoming cruise on Princess was that we are booked in a Window Suite - a lovely cabin, but with no access to the outside. I don’t think the cruise is going to sail (June 13 to Alaska) and Princess would not be my first choice in light of how many of their ships have had issues (and past cruises on a ship that just couldn’t get rid of Norovirus). But the clincher was the prospect of being stuck in that cabin with no fresh air for who knows how long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chipmaster said:

The situation currently is without precedence, not in the last century and even during the world wars has the kind of restrictions been put in place and even during the wars some activities were permitted.  Currently we have the following stopped:  most x-border travel by air/sea/land, all gatherings for church, funerals, personal, sports events.  Activities like sports, bars, restaurants, it is illegal and selfish even to be going over to talk with your neighbor next door, etc. etc.   To think any discussion of cruising starting and with what pretext before those other listed activities is laughable, delusionary and irresponsible.

Safe cruising, LOL 

Got it, then when others are paying for MY leisure and vacations, then that is the point that I will have to seriously listen to this or similar input.

Just as I would NEVER suggest that NO ONE ever cruise again without their minimum standards being met, I do personally believe that while the input may be of value, it is our (collective use) choice to decide what we choose to do in situations like this. If we feel safe, then go for it, if not do not do it.

I do respect your decision not to travel via ships, please respect others real desire to get back to it, on our own terms and desires and time frame. Each of us has 'our' set of conditions to board a passenger vessel ever again and it is apparent some here have more stringent conditions than others, yours included and respected.

Each of us has the responsibility to be as safe as possible in any situation we find ourselves in, it is clear that there will be those who flaunt the rules and regulations, of course.

I chilled a long time ago about all of this and as others have too, we mainly understand/accept that there will be parameters/hurdles which will need to be jumped in order to sail again and WE are ready to do so, ASAP... those who are not ready, that is acceptable too... really it is!

Thank you again, be safe and bon voyage

• Like 3

We won’t be cruising again until a proven vaccine is widely available.   

Our last 12 night cruise with bad weather reminded us that there are resorts, spas,  beaches, etc., that are well within our driving tolerance.  Canyon Ranch Spa has everything a cruise has except the ocean. However, the food, ambiance, facilities is higher end so that is good enough for us.

• Like 1

Bo1953,  I agree with you.  I feel why worry about something I have no control over.  If the cruise lines go bankrupt; I have no control over that, if airlines go out of business; I can't stop them;  so when things get back to normal, I will hop on Delta Airlines, and it will take me to my cruise ship somewhere in the world.  Will it be this year; perhaps; or maybe next year.  No losing any sleep over it.  It is what it is.  Cheers and have a Happy Easter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, gerryuk said:

Cruise fare pricing has and always will be supply and demand. Right now, the supply is extremely limited, and there absolutely are people itching to go. The cruise lines are bleeding money at the moment. If people are willing to pay more, are you seriously advocating that they don't keep pricing in line with demand? Of course it is noble to always make these points from your keyboard. It makes absolutely no sense from a business standpoint. No one is entitled to a cruise. You have the option to get a complete refund or take a look at pricing and options and select a FCC if you'd and get free money. Many other people will pay the higher price out of pocket.

For me, I would cruise tomorrow if I could get some type of guarantee that I wouldn't be quarantined on a ship for 14+ days.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

For me, I would cruise tomorrow if I could get some type of guarantee that I wouldn't be quarantined on a ship for 14+ days.

Unfortunately, that guarantee can never be made since the ports have control, not the ships.  IMHO this is going to be the most difficult issue for the cruise lines.  And all this talk about imposing extensive health screenings, including possible requirements for physicians certifications, is going to drive away many folks who simply do not want to deal with the hassle.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wonder if all the cruise lines will have restrictions on passengers 70 and older , this could definitely cause me a problem. A good percentage of cruise passengers will have issues with this, along with the fear of cruising that even some veteran cruisers seem to have.  

6 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

BBC article...

The bit that caught my attn. was this quote:

"The worst thing you can do [if passengers start falling ill]

is keep people on board," he says.

"The plan is to go to the nearest port, get everyone off

and then sanitize the ship".

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52182509

Makes sense to me.  Thanks for sharing

• Like 1