Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I paid by debit, so not the same options as credit.  To be honest, and I'll get stick for this, I have got to the point that I am fed up with fighting.  That doesn't  mean that they can keep my money, but for the time being I'll just sit tight. I'll  get my revenge when I don't  cruise with them in the future, they have had a lot of money from me over 20 years. No more.

I found sending polite reminders stating I was on 66 days and Paul Ludlow said up to 60days worked.

I got my refund that night.

Graham

Edited by grapau27
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I paid by debit, so not the same options as credit.  To be honest, and I'll get stick for this, I have got to the point that I am fed up with fighting.  That doesn't  mean that they can keep my money, but for the time being I'll just sit tight. I'll  get my revenge when I don't  cruise with them in the future, they have had a lot of money from me over 20 years. No more.

2 things come to mind. If you paid by debit card and were overdrawn (not suggesting you were) then I believe s75 applies in the same way as a credit card. Alternatively you can try asking your bank to make a charge back claim. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, staygulf said:

2 things come to mind. If you paid by debit card and were overdrawn (not suggesting you were) then I believe s75 applies in the same way as a credit card. Alternatively you can try asking your bank to make a charge back claim. 

S75 is only credit card, befit card you have to do a chargeback through your bank.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I paid by debit, so not the same options as credit.  To be honest, and I'll get stick for this, I have got to the point that I am fed up with fighting.  That doesn't  mean that they can keep my money, but for the time being I'll just sit tight. I'll  get my revenge when I don't  cruise with them in the future, they have had a lot of money from me over 20 years. No more.

I do know what you mean, their excuses and insistence on the fact that it they are doing their best and such like does wear you down, even when you are right.  Quite right to take your future custom elsewhere.

 

If you did pay be debit card and they continue to take the proverbial more than you can take then the chargeback route is open to you.  That costs the bank nowt, and is no risk to them, so they may help you out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

S75 is only credit card, befit card you have to do a chargeback through your bank.

I don’t think that’s right. The act doesn’t talk about credit cards. It talks about debtor creditor supplier agreements. If you are overdrawn and spend money the bank is extending you credit 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, staygulf said:

I don’t think that’s right. The act doesn’t talk about credit cards. It talks about debtor creditor supplier agreements. If you are overdrawn and spend money the bank is extending you credit 

I am not overdrawn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there are some on here confusing Christine Duffy President of Carnival Cruise Line with Carnival Corp. Carnival Cruise Line is a brand of Carnival Corp like P&O, Cunard and many others. Whatever practices she instigates within that cruise line has no bearing on P&O or Cunard. I think there is little chance of any cruise brands within Carnival Corp will cease to exist because of their respective popularity in their respective countries but will definitely think we will see a slimming down of many ships across the brands and the delaying or cancelling of new builds until the cruise market recovers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

The charge back route is interesting. I paid direct to my TA, so would it be against them or PO ?

 

I am not doing it yet  but if it gets ridiculous, it already is, I will speak to my bank.

As you paid  TA I don’t think a s75 claim would have covered you even if you had paid by cc as it doesn’t cover payments to 3rd parties. But your charge back claim via your bank would be Against your TA 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, staygulf said:

As you paid  TA I don’t think a s75 claim would have covered you even if you had paid by cc as it doesn’t cover payments to 3rd parties. But your charge back claim via your bank would be Against your TA 

It all depends in what way your TA collects the money we paid ours by credit card but was paid straight through to Cunard and there is no mention of the TA on our credit card statement it is a payment to Cunard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, staygulf said:

As you paid  TA I don’t think a s75 claim would have covered you even if you had paid by cc as it doesn’t cover payments to 3rd parties. But your charge back claim via your bank would be Against your TA 

Yes I agree Bob.  As I understand it, the claim is against the TA and then it becomes their problem to be refunded by P&O.  Bank would confirm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

The charge back route is interesting. I paid direct to my TA, so would it be against them or PO ?

 

I am not doing it yet  but if it gets ridiculous, it already is, I will speak to my bank.

Check your bank statement and see who the payment was paid to.

Some TAs put your money in their bank first and others put it into a P&O account.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I am not overdrawn.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you only have to pay the deposit on credit card for the whole cruise amount to be claimable against the credit card company.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, staygulf said:

The other thing to bear in mind is that you only have to pay the deposit on credit card for the whole cruise amount to be claimable against the credit card company.  

You're right.  I had forgotten that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, staygulf said:

The other thing to bear in mind is that you only have to pay the deposit on credit card for the whole cruise amount to be claimable against the credit card company.  

A nominal amount like £1 on your credit card is all that is needed to make a cc claim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I think there are some on here confusing Christine Duffy President of Carnival Cruise Line with Carnival Corp. Carnival Cruise Line is a brand of Carnival Corp like P&O, Cunard and many others. Whatever practices she instigates within that cruise line has no bearing on P&O or Cunard. I think there is little chance of any cruise brands within Carnival Corp will cease to exist because of their respective popularity in their respective countries but will definitely think we will see a slimming down of many ships across the brands and the delaying or cancelling of new builds until the cruise market recovers.


Thanks for clarifying that. I think that the financial commentary in the article, referring to billions of dollars of bail outs and the $1bn a month costs, relates to Carnival Corporation in total though, as the numbers seem far too big to be just one cruise line. I agree with your assessment of what the future may look like. I think there’s a future for P&O and Cunard, but the older ships and potential new ones may be at risk which will be a shame. A change of ownership may be no bad thing though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A nominal amount like £1 on your credit card is all that is needed to make a cc claim.

That’s true but for a cruise you’re more likely to pay the deposit , not £1, unless of course the deposit is £1. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, staygulf said:

That’s true but for a cruise you’re more likely to pay the deposit , not £1, unless of course the deposit is £1. 

Some offers have been £1 deposit.

Even if you prefer using your debit card to save a favourite independent TA paying cc fees it is still good practice to at least put £1 onto your credit card.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It all depends in what way your TA collects the money we paid ours by credit card but was paid straight through to Cunard and there is no mention of the TA on our credit card statement it is a payment to Cunard.

Same with us except with P&O, so I assume a chargeback or S75 would be valid, if needed.

Edited by terrierjohn
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to ask this question ( I may be a bit thick ) but I used some Tesco coupons to part pay for my cruise £500 and the rest on my cc , so do I get a complete refund of my cruise or will p & o deduct the double up of my coupons , so loseing the £500 , this is the first time I have ever used Tesco coupons to part pay for a cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good question Purdey16. I had not thought about this. I used my Tesco vouchers a couple of years ago and am now saving them for a future cruise when it would benefit us. I am sure there is someone on this forum who can advise you, and me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Selbourne said:


Thanks for clarifying that. I think that the financial commentary in the article, referring to billions of dollars of bail outs and the $1bn a month costs, relates to Carnival Corporation in total though, as the numbers seem far too big to be just one cruise line. I agree with your assessment of what the future may look like. I think there’s a future for P&O and Cunard, but the older ships and potential new ones may be at risk which will be a shame. A change of ownership may be no bad thing though. 


The article in the link is from an American company specialising in maritime law who are clearly looking for business. Of course Carnival are struggling for cash flow but there may be a commercial agenda behind the article.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, staygulf said:

The other thing to bear in mind is that you only have to pay the deposit on credit card for the whole cruise amount to be claimable against the credit card company.  


This is true for S75 only. 
 

Chargeback only covers you for the amount you put on the card. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...