CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

I have just come to this thread because and am overwhelmed by the number of posts.  I really cannot trawl through the whole thing.  I apologise for being lazy.  

Today was due to be the start of my cruise 😭.  I had not expected my refund earlier.  Now just wondering what is happening to others.  

I got my flight (vouchers) and my 5th June hotel (was cancellable anyway) back about 4 weeks ago.  My 13th June hotel was booked at a non-cancellable rate, but cancelled by Travelodge and I got the money back into my CC account on 28th May.  

I had no excursions or extras booked so now it is just the cruise fare left.  I would like some idea of how long to expect to wait so that I know when to start asking the TA about the refund.  I can see people mentioning waiting 60 or 90 days for refunds.  Can someone just clarify is that 60 days post cruise date or 60 days post when they submitted their request for refund.  

So sad about having to cancel this bucket list trip.  Even the 13th June hotel (in Windsor to allow me to get to Heathrow and fly back the day after the cruise)  was really a bucket list day.  I have so many trips to catch up with when it becomes safer to travel.  

13 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I have just come to this thread because and am overwhelmed by the number of posts.  I really cannot trawl through the whole thing.  I apologise for being lazy.  

Today was due to be the start of my cruise 😭.  I had not expected my refund earlier.  Now just wondering what is happening to others.  

I got my flight (vouchers) and my 5th June hotel (was cancellable anyway) back about 4 weeks ago.  My 13th June hotel was booked at a non-cancellable rate, but cancelled by Travelodge and I got the money back into my CC account on 28th May.  

I had no excursions or extras booked so now it is just the cruise fare left.  I would like some idea of how long to expect to wait so that I know when to start asking the TA about the refund.  I can see people mentioning waiting 60 or 90 days for refunds.  Can someone just clarify is that 60 days post cruise date or 60 days post when they submitted their request for refund.  

So sad about having to cancel this bucket list trip.  Even the 13th June hotel (in Windsor to allow me to get to Heathrow and fly back the day after the cruise)  was really a bucket list day.  I have so many trips to catch up with when it becomes safer to travel.  

Contact your TA immediately and tell them if you want a refund or Future Cruise Credit.

I would also ring P&O with your confirmation number

08000523840 and confirm with them if you want a refund or FCC and make sure these details are put on your file and ask them to email a confirmation that this is done.

Some people on here filled in an online cancellation form.

We waited 66 days for our March 20 cruise refund.

We cancelled with our TA on March 13 and rang P&O and confirmed our cancellation.

Good luck.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

19 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

We requested a refund via the link on the email that P&O sent us, informing us that the cruise was cancelled. We did not contact our TA, or make any  further contact with P&O.  We received a cheque for the full amount 63 days from the date of cancellation.

As Graham says, if you have already been waiting over 60 days, you should contact P&O. 

Thanks for the replies.  

Because I booked through a TA I thought that I could not contact P and O directly.  I didn’t make it clear, the TA has made the application for a refund.  My question could have been a bit shorter:  “Does the number of days people are referring to mean days post request or days post sailing date?” 

I will nudge my TA anyway to see where we are at.  I am planning to buy Premium bonds with my refund.  Who knows I might become a millionaire instead of going on a cruise.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum

4 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

“Does the number of days people are referring to mean days post request or days post sailing date?” 

As you probably now know, it is days from request.

We are buying Premium Bonds with our refund as well!

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, staygulf said:

And how long do people who haven’t made a request have to wait?

If you don't make a request, you don't get a refund. Your automatically get FCC at 125% of the price you paid for your cruise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Whilst P&Os handling of refunds has been extremely poor, especially their communication and timing.  I would point out that any legislation was written primarily to protect passengers from holiday cancellations initiated by a travel company.  It is unfortunate that no provision was made to cover a pandemic, or indeed a blanket FCO ban on all non essential travel anywhere.

So whilst stamping your foot and paddying might make you feel better, it does not make these insurmountable problems go away.

Nonsense. Regulation 13(2)(b) provides for the situation you describe. 

Yes, I do agree that the Law is clear in terms of the Package Tour Regulations - these are "unavoidable" and "extraordinary" circumstances, but the Law does require refunds to be made as soon as possible and within 14 days.  There is not a "get out" or "force majeure" clause. 

However, despite this being the Law, I think that most customers were prepared to be flexible and allow P&O time to respond to the pandemic.  They were also prepared to consider alternatives to cash refunds. That is now overall, waning.

I must disagree that the CMA are allowing the current practice.  Their current concern is around "unnecessary complexity" coming in to refund processes.  The CMA also have to consider the applicable Law / Regulations if they are investigating.

With 134 pages of posts just on this thread, at least 5 different interim P&O policies since the start of the outbreak, and no end of strange explanations for delays, some people are genuinely confused, including today's post.  I must admit so have I on more than one occasion!

I am not saying that P&O are the only cruise company delaying refunds, clearly not, and it is extraordinarily difficult for the whole industry.  However, the more protracted the wait becomes for March and April reimbursements and secondary items becomes, the more they will begin to stick out.  The more likely it becomes that they will amongst the group where difficult questions will be asked.

Obviously, I cannot say if whatever answers given will be accepted, or if ABTA "air cover" will help.  None of us know that.

Personally, I would not be surprised to see the application of the fluid pricing model to refunds be questioned across the cruise industry, as in many cases, it is working to the affected customers distinct disadvantage, particularly when put across as a benefit compared with a cash refund.  That is the part I find the most misleading with the whole shenanigans.

Time will tell on this, and as I said previously - this will likely take years.😭

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

My friend FINALLY got her refund yesterday. It only took 88 days.

Avril 

Pleased for your friend Avril and must be a relief after such a long wait!

Day 88 is amongst the worst that I have seen so far - more evidence it seems that things aren't unfortunately getting better yet across the board.

• Like 1

89 days since requesting our refund,  on 17/03/20, which was  for Iona maiden voyage the money has just gone into our bank account!  Apparently I was told that there had been a problem processing refunds that were requested around the 17th March!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pierrepedro said:

89 days since requesting our refund,  on 17/03/20, which was  for Iona maiden voyage the money has just gone into our bank account!  Apparently I was told that there had been a problem processing refunds that were requested around the 17th March!

Excellent news that you have finally been reimbursed, you have waited an awfully long period of time. 😃

I'm not sure if you have been following this thread, but if so you may have seen that some passengers were refunded for Iona's initial Maiden sailing some time ago, having cancelled in mid March around the same time that some April and May refunds were appearing.

There was a theory going that each ship was being managed separately, this and a few other examples seems to suggest otherwise.  Just seems to be pot luck unfortunately.

The only thing that is true is that waits are not "up to 60 days!"🤔  Some time ago it was said "around 90" days - starting to become true for some.

13 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

New P&O Cruises Refund quiz question:

On average, which of the following will arrive quicker?

Jules Verne's 19th century fictional round-the-world navigation, OR

Refunds from an actual P&O Cruise with 21st century Information Technology?

Answers on a postcard 🧭

I don’t think the postcard will get there much quicker 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pierrepedro said:

Great news you have finally had your refund returned to you.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Did she chase it Avril or just wait.

She waited at first because when her TA cancelled it he told her that P&O  would contact her. It wasn't until I  told her about all the trouble people on this forum were having trying to get refunds that she started to chase it. Five days ago her sister sent them a firm email saying that she thought it was disgraceful the way they were treating an 85 year old woman making her wait so long for her own money to be returned. She never once managed to talk to anyone  at Carnival so I guess the email did the trick. Now she's busy  looking at Iona for next year. You've just gotta love her positivity 😆

Avril 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No pager thank you said:

Pleased for your friend Avril and must be a relief after such a long wait!

Day 88 is amongst the worst that I have seen so far - more evidence it seems that things aren't unfortunately getting better yet across the board.

She should have been on Britainnia's TA from Barbados the end of March which was cancelled the week before.

Avril