CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

On 6/6/2020 at 8:52 AM, wowzz said:

As you probably now know, it is days from request.

We are buying Premium Bonds with our refund as well!

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

Day 12 and still no refund - back to PandO !!   See post 2913.  Not chasing me yet.

You could follow Wowzz Bob as you would be storing the money in a safe place until they get it back .

Any winnings in the meantime would be yours of course :classic_smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, englebert said:

Greetings All,

Happy Days. Money received as a  Credit Card receipt of outstanding

amount in respect of AURORA Cruise (to the North Sea and back) 

that departed Southampton on 11 March.

Interesting that date of transaction is 4 June (but it was not there 

yesterday - yes I have been checking everyday!!!!!)

YES I have made a number of phone calls chasing the refund

up and each time I was told 'we will inform our Accounts

Department and chase it up'

Regards,

Pleased that you have finally got your money back, my estimate is about day 86 (or three and a half weeks after the latest deadline, or around 79 after the first offer). 😃

The money sometimes takes a few days to clear when returned to a credit card - same happened with mine.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

But, if you intend cruising with P&O then you would be spending money with them anyway and you would be spending less because of the extra 24/25% you have received.

Of course the downside is that if Carnival run out of money and invoke chapter 11, then you would be reliant on ABTA/UK govt refunding you, and only the basic fare cost.

That's true of course, but a cruise (not always with P&O) is only one of the holidays we take each year. I prefer to have the money in the bank, so I have the flexibility to spend it on the holiday of our choosing, and not be limited to P&O.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, englebert said:

Greetings All,

Happy Days. Money received as a  Credit Card receipt of outstanding

amount in respect of AURORA Cruise (to the North Sea and back) 

that departed Southampton on 11 March.

Interesting that date of transaction is 4 June (but it was not there 

yesterday - yes I have been checking everyday!!!!!)

YES I have made a number of phone calls chasing the refund

up and each time I was told 'we will inform our Accounts

Department and chase it up'

Regards,

Excellent news.👍

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

That's true of course, but a cruise (not always with P&O) is only one of the holidays we take each year. I prefer to have the money in the bank, so I have the flexibility to spend it on the holiday of our choosing, and not be limited to P&O.

+1

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

+1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

We never fly cruise now, and as we need an accessible cabin we much prefer a newer ship with it's better accessible facilities. Which puts P&O at the head of the list for Southampton departures and our overseas holidays, with more itineraries covering the full year, and far lower prices than their competition. 

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We never fly cruise now, and as we need an accessible cabin we much prefer a newer ship with it's better accessible facilities. Which puts P&O at the head of the list for Southampton departures and our overseas holidays, with more itineraries covering the full year, and far lower prices than their competition. 

I understand your position.  We are in the fortunate position of not being restricted in our holiday choices, (although Mrs W won't  fly LH unless it is in PE as a minimum), hence our desire to have the cash.

• Like 1

Looks like CM getting serious has forced Vacation Rentals, owners of Hoseasons & Cottages.com, to change from not offering refunds to offering refunds to customers. 

Possible they are pushing P&O to speed up refunds.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-major-holiday-lets-firm-offers-refunds-after-cma-action

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Looks like CM getting serious has forced Vacation Rentals, owners of Hoseasons & Cottages.com, to change from not offering refunds to offering refunds to customers. 

Possible they are pushing P&O to speed up refunds.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-major-holiday-lets-firm-offers-refunds-after-cma-action

I dont think they are interested in companies that are offering refunds even if taking a long time there priority is those that have been refusing to give cash refunds and only offering vouchers.

21 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I dont think they are interested in companies that are offering refunds even if taking a long time there priority is those that have been refusing to give cash refunds and only offering vouchers.

I agree with this from the evidence so far.  What I would say however, and this is a point more across the wider cruise industry, rather than just P&O, is that there appears to be an anomaly around how the fluid pricing model is working for customers in 2021/22.  This feels more peculiar to this section of the wider travel industry at the moment perhaps.

In the holiday accommodation and traditional "beach holiday" market, demand is flat and supply is high.  Therefore, the vouchers have reasonable (even positive actual) value, assuming that the provider does not collapse and require ATOL etc.

In the cruise sector however, it is the complete opposite in many cases.  It may be that this is more actively looked at, particularly when triangulated with delayed / elaborately difficult refund practices, which the CMA have expressed concern about. The package holiday sector is now formally in scope for CMA of course, which includes cruise companies - we just don't know which ones and for what, if any, reason.

That said, I doubt that this anomaly will be prioritized and further cannot say how a regulator would interpret it.  I'm not sure around the natural answer of normal commercial practice / judgement will necessarily be accepted without question, but we will shall have to wait and see.  This also may be part of the thinking around extending FCCs for a longer period too - just a thought (not the main reason of course around cashflow).

In any event, hope that tomorrow brings more real refunds for everyone waiting! 🙂

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 8:44 PM, pierrepedro said:

89 days since requesting our refund,  on 17/03/20, which was  for Iona maiden voyage the money has just gone into our bank account!  Apparently I was told that there had been a problem processing refunds that were requested around the 17th March!

I’m a bit confused as the Iona Maiden Cruise wasn’t cancelled until 30th March, so that’s the earliest date that you could have applied for a 100% cash refund. I applied for a full refund on 31st March and received the money after 45 days, although an enquiry as to how long I could expect to wait resulted in my refund being escalated.

On 6/7/2020 at 11:46 PM, wowzz said:

To be fair Graham,  I didn't have that much input into getting the prize!

Given the current interest rates, I can't see why everyone doesn't put a fair amount of their savings into Premium Bonds.  Instant access if you need your cash, totally safe,and given current interest  rates, you only need to win the odd £25 to be "ahead".

I’ve done the same, but with the stock market growth over the past few weeks I wish I could have found a quick and easy way to have jumped on that, which would have been about 10 times the return of premium bonds! Martin Lewis mentioned premium bonds the other week and went through some calculations (that I wasn’t properly listening to) that showed that it was only worth investing in premium bonds if you have the maximum £50k investment. However, as you say, it’s a ‘safe haven’ which, in these crazy times, is worth something and at least NS&I scrapped their recent plan to reduce the rate of prize returns still further. 

41 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m a bit confused as the Iona Maiden Cruise wasn’t cancelled until 30th March, so that’s the earliest date that you could have applied for a 100% cash refund. I applied for a full refund on 31st March and received the money after 45 days, although an enquiry as to how long I could expect to wait resulted in my refund being escalated.

On 16 March following government announcements P and O allowed anyone over 70 or with underlying conditions to cancel for a full refund. So a claim on 17 March is legitimate. That’s exactly what we did. 

6 minutes ago, staygulf said:

On 16 March following government announcements P and O allowed anyone over 70 or with underlying conditions to cancel for a full refund. So a claim on 17 March is legitimate. That’s exactly what we did. 

Ah yes. Thanks. We were too slow off the mark for that as they withdrew the ability to do that just 2 weeks later and we were also travelling with our adult daughters and weren’t sure that they could cancel as well. Turned out OK in the end though, especially as by waiting until P&O cancelled the cruise we got the refund in half the time that we would have done had we cancelled under health reasons. There must be some logic to that but it’s beyond me!

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I think they had to manually deal with every refund they received. I think it was more of a technical problem and they had to deal with a huge amount of requests. In any case I am glad you ended up getting back your money and trust me 45 days is a very nice period of waiting. Some people are still waiting 

24 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I think they had to manually deal with every refund they received. I think it was more of a technical problem and they had to deal with a huge amount of requests. In any case I am glad you ended up getting back your money and trust me 45 days is a very nice period of waiting. Some people are still waiting 

I know that I was very fortunate to ‘only’ have to wait 45 days, even though that is still 31 later than UK law dictates, but I’m afraid that I don’t buy the fact that the delays were due to technical problems. It was a combination of a deliberate policy to shore up cash flow (as virtually no refunds happened for months and then the flood gates opened as the 60 days loomed and P&O received adverse media coverage about the delays) and incompetence, as evidenced by the fact that there is no pattern to the refunds and refunds for some May cruises were paid out earlier than some March ones. Although some folk are unfortunately still waiting for refunds from the previous batches of cancellations, the vast majority seem to have now received them, thankfully. As I have said a few times, the acid test will be how long it now takes for those who have just had their August to October cruises cancelled to receive their refunds. There is no operational or logistical reason why there shouldn’t be a steady flow of refunds immediately, but I can’t help but feel that the same pattern will happen and the majority will still be made to wait for a couple of months. I sincerely hope that I am proved wrong. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Baolua said:

Been following this board from the off... received our refund cheque this morning: request for refund made 17th March (for 22nd March Oceana cruise) so a total wait of 85 days. 

Fantastic news at last.👍

2 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Just received cancellation invoices for my July and August cruises but they don’t say whether my deposits are being refunded or FCCd. Also still waiting for the refund on my two May Iona cruises. I’m on day 85!

Day 71 for me, although just recieved today an email saying I will get a cheque in the next 10 days.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kevcharben said:

Day 71 for me, although just recieved today an email saying I will get a cheque in the next 10 days.

Ah thanks, that’s good to know. My payment is supposed to be a cheque too. Did your email go to your junk box? That’s where all my P&O email seem to go. 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I know that I was very fortunate to ‘only’ have to wait 45 days, even though that is still 31 later than UK law dictates, but I’m afraid that I don’t buy the fact that the delays were due to technical problems. It was a combination of a deliberate policy to shore up cash flow (as virtually no refunds happened for months and then the flood gates opened as the 60 days loomed and P&O received adverse media coverage about the delays) and incompetence, as evidenced by the fact that there is no pattern to the refunds and refunds for some May cruises were paid out earlier than some March ones. Although some folk are unfortunately still waiting for refunds from the previous batches of cancellations, the vast majority seem to have now received them, thankfully. As I have said a few times, the acid test will be how long it now takes for those who have just had their August to October cruises cancelled to receive their refunds. There is no operational or logistical reason why there shouldn’t be a steady flow of refunds immediately, but I can’t help but feel that the same pattern will happen and the majority will still be made to wait for a couple of months. I sincerely hope that I am proved wrong. 

Good reply Selbourne,  but wasted on Roger, as he never reads responses to his posts. 

1 hour ago, drsel said:

It doesn't make sense to save (hoard ) your money at 0.01% interest.
Better enjoy it on a vacation or Cruise

True, which is why we've shut that account,  and given the money to Mr Lindsell and Mr Train to look after.

• Like 1