Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I suspect that delaying refunds to preserve their cash was probably the main driver, so I imagine a big bonus will be their reward.

If true really shows what Carnival think about their loyal customers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

If true really shows what Carnival think about their loyal customers.

When you think about it,to most companies their customers are just a number and unfortunately the same thing can be said about their employees when you look at how many companies are laying off thousands of loyal workers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

When you think about it,to most companies their customers are just a number and unfortunately the same thing can be said about their employees when you look at how many companies are laying off thousands of loyal workers.

I don't believe that many people really understand the dire economic situation we are facing. The only, or main, reason companies are laying off staff, is to try and ensure they stay in business. If things were normal then huge redundancies would not be needed, I understand the distress this will be causing, but without reducing outgoings many companies will be bankrupt, and then many more jobs will be lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't believe that many people really understand the dire economic situation we are facing. The only, or main, reason companies are laying off staff, is to try and ensure they stay in business. If things were normal then huge redundancies would not be needed, I understand the distress this will be causing, but without reducing outgoings many companies will be bankrupt, and then many more jobs will be lost.

I agree it is worrying times and companies need to do what's necessary to stay afloat.

I just hope that some don't use covid19 as an excuse to trim the workforce and cut wages for the wrong reasons.

Pre covid19 some companies were making record profits but were still trimming their workforce to make bigger profits for shareholders.

Edited by grapau27
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pre covid19 some companies were making record profits but were still trimming their workforce to make bigger profits for shareholders.

And many of the shareholders are pension funds, that rely on dividends and increased share prices to pay our pensions.

Much as I dislike the worst excesses of capitalism, without profits and dividends I couldn't afford to live my current lifestyle.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree it is worrying times and companies need to do what's necessary to stay afloat.

I just hope that some don't use covid19 as an excuse to trim the workforce and cut wages for the wrong reasons.

Pre covid19 some companies were making record profits but were still trimming their workforce to make bigger profits for shareholders.

British Airways, they have been trying to do what they are doing now for years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And many of the shareholders are pension funds, that rely on dividends and increased share prices to pay our pensions.

Much as I dislike the worst excesses of capitalism, without profits and dividends I couldn't afford to live my current lifestyle.  

Wowzz, that's a major concession from someone I had pegged as a mainstream socialist.😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Wowzz, that's a major concession from someone I had pegged as a mainstream socialist.😉

I like to think of myself as a champagne socialist! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, staygulf said:

I can understand the need for flights, maybe a pre or post cruise stay, excursions and even a drink or two. But why is there a need to factor casino costs into a cruise? That seems reckless to me. 

 

It may be a reckless place to visit when on a cruise, but the reality is that during a normal cruise DH and I will visit the casino !!

 

My point was that even if the base cost of the cruise was returned to me my attitude would not have been ‘oh great now I can afford another cruise’ because I know that there are other expenses involved.  I forgot to add in the car park bill, the cattery fees, the travel insurance.  It all adds up.  A refund in the form of a FCC would not have made me think “oh let’s have three cruises instead of two this year”.  

 

The cruise companies must have been frustrated by yesterday’s announcement of lots of people rushing to book holidays.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I absolutely agree.

Whether they will do the honourable thing and resign is questionable.

 

 

When have the Heads of Cruise Companies ever done the Honourable thing they are only interested in the bottom line🤑.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Noted from bank statement that refund was received in past week. Was due to cruise in early April.

Good afternoon to all who have helped me to  stay positive whilst  in the 100+ club. I can now announce  wait for it , drum roll ............ just checked my credit  card and YES. Refund received.  Seems like the  last emails  to CEO office  and to cruise TA CEO may have produced a result. Wow. Hope others in the 100+ club  also have good news . Thanks everyone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, miniyorkie said:

Good afternoon to all who have helped me to  stay positive whilst  in the 100+ club. I can now announce  wait for it , drum roll ............ just checked my credit  card and YES. Refund received.  Seems like the  last emails  to CEO office  and to cruise TA CEO may have produced a result. Wow. Hope others in the 100+ club  also have good news . Thanks everyone. 

Fantastic, congratulations. 

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, miniyorkie said:

Good afternoon to all who have helped me to  stay positive whilst  in the 100+ club. I can now announce  wait for it , drum roll ............ just checked my credit  card and YES. Refund received.  Seems like the  last emails  to CEO office  and to cruise TA CEO may have produced a result. Wow. Hope others in the 100+ club  also have good news . Thanks everyone. 

Absolutely fantastic news.

I am delighted for you.👍🍾

Graham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Congratulations miniyorkie, glad you are leaving the club, none of us want continued membership!

 

 

You must be next Steve.

Hopefully today or tomorrow before you start court proceedings.

Graham

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You must be next Steve.

Hopefully today or tomorrow before you start court proceedings.

Graham

I would like to think so but I suspect I will be form filling Wednesday morning.

 

Anyway next cruise booked and half paid for, September 13th to Bilbao, taking the car on board this time!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pre covid19 some companies were making record profits but were still trimming their workforce to make bigger profits for shareholders.

 

That's what happened to me and to top it off they changed the redundancy terms so I got a payout capped at 20 years (after 34 year's service).

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DamianG said:

 

That's what happened to me and to top it off they changed the redundancy terms so I got a payout capped at 20 years (after 34 year's service).

A lot of companies have caps of 20 years which is wrong.

Some companies will be delighted they have the excuse to get rid of staff.

We now see companies who should by law be paying out refunds in 14 days flouting the law and taking several months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DamianG said:

 

That's what happened to me and to top it off they changed the redundancy terms so I got a payout capped at 20 years (after 34 year's service).

On the other hand, I worked for the same company for 20+ years and just walked away. No more travelling, no more jet lag, no more budget reviews, no more strategic assessments,  no more expense claims - best thing I ever did ! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...