So I'm confused.  I have a deposit on an October cruise this year that we won't be doing.  If I take an FCC, it sits on your account until you choose a cruise up to March 2022.  Right?

By the time I need to use it, the 2022 summer cruises will be out and I can surely use it then.  Next question is.  If my deposit is only 5%, does it mean I have to increase it to 15% to cover the deposit on the rebooked cruise?

I have also just received this by email

"I do not underestimate our guests strength of feeling regarding the delays in these refunds, as well as the sentiment you have expressed around the email received, as you have acknowledged we are currently dealing with a significant number of refunds, however the escalated process is running along side the refund process we have in place, and you are correct under normal circumstances from providing your bank details to receiving payment I would expect to take 4 working days, however, we are dealing with such a high volume now of escalated payment requests with very limited numbers of staff that it is taking much longer than either your or we would wish. I assure you your form is with finance and they will be processing this as quickly as possible"

10 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

"I do not underestimate our guests strength of feeling regarding the delays in these refunds, as well as the sentiment you have expressed around the email received, as you have acknowledged we are currently dealing with a significant number of refunds, however the escalated process is running along side the refund process we have in place, and you are correct under normal circumstances from providing your bank details to receiving payment I would expect to take 4 working days, however, we are dealing with such a high volume now of escalated payment requests with very limited numbers of staff that it is taking much longer than either your or we would wish. I assure you your form is with finance and they will be processing this as quickly as possible"

Further liquid extraction!

16 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So I'm confused.  I have a deposit on an October cruise this year that we won't be doing.  If I take an FCC, it sits on your account until you choose a cruise up to March 2022.  Right?

By the time I need to use it, the 2022 summer cruises will be out and I can surely use it then.  Next question is.  If my deposit is only 5%, does it mean I have to increase it to 15% to cover the deposit on the rebooked cruise?

P&O have only said that you can transfer a deposit to cruises sailing by the end of March 22, so you cannot be sure that later cruises will be covered.

And if the 15%, is greater than the deposit you are transferring. you will have to pay the difference.

Yes that's what I thought.

Just had a chat with a nice young man at P&O re options.  He thought there might be a further tranche of cancellations by the time I have to pay my balance, so to wait until then.

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

P&O have only said that you can transfer a deposit to cruises sailing by the end of March 22, so you cannot be sure that later cruises will be covered.

And if the 15%, is greater than the deposit you are transferring. you will have to pay the difference.

It is a bit of a vague area, however I received this info as part of an e-mail from P&O after I broached this very question:-

For those who are outside of their balance due dates and are sailing after the 31st August 2020, we are providing free of charge transfers to any alternative cruises that P&O Cruises offer.
Still not 100% clear but, assuming you do not use the FCC until after P&O launch their summer 2022 schedules, probably in September, then summer 2022 cruises would fulfil the above criteria. 

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

It is a bit of a vague area, however I received this info as part of an e-mail from P&O after I broached this very question:-

For those who are outside of their balance due dates and are sailing after the 31st August 2020, we are providing free of charge transfers to any alternative cruises that P&O Cruises offer.
Still not 100% clear but, assuming you do not use the FCC until after P&O launch their summer 2022 schedules, probably in September, then summer 2022 cruises would fulfil the above criteria. 

I understood it to mean that for August cruises you can take an FCC and store it but for later cruises you can only take an FCC by transferring to another cruise sailing up to March 2022.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Just had a chat with a nice young man at P&O re options.  He thought there might be a further tranche of cancellations by the time I have to pay my balance, so to wait until then.

Jean

I am on the same cruise and am in the same position. I do not intend to do anything at this time.

I will wait for P&O to cancel.

Yes agree.  He told me that at present, as the cruise is still going ahead, I can only take an FCC onto a definite cruise by March 2022.  However, if they cancel the October cruise, then the FCC can sit on your account and that way we could book for the summer 2022 cruises.  Balance is not due until July 20th, so will wait and do nothing.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That was the exact email we received in March, and our cruise isn't until  November 6th. 

Avril 

47 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

He thought there might be a further tranche of cancellations by the time I have to pay my balance, so to wait until then.

I'm doing the same. Our balance is due by August 8th. If there is to be another batch of cancellations we should know before then.

Avril 

Message for P&O Sue.

The prices for the upgrade on your Sept 2021 will be back dated to the price it was when you made the original booking. If you booked when the cruise was first released that would be the cabin price now. We all know prices are at there lowest when the cruises are first go on sale. Worth a call to P&O to check.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Which is the quickest queue to be in?

The escalated payment requests are for those refund requests that are overdue!!

The volume has not changed, just split in two!

Maybe some one on here with inside knowledge NOD NOD! can guide.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Helpful, thanks Jean.  Ties up with the "I wouldn't pay the balance on any more cruises at the moment," comment which I saw posted around a week ago I think, via a call centre P&O source.

If your cruise is in October, and the current pause is until the end of July, then that of course is the very latest that P&O can move the goalposts on a subsequent suspension of cruising.  Therefore, one would hope that the uncertainty is taken away before you are asked to pay the balance, including via a TA.

However, August cruise holidaymakers have been left already in the "pay, lose, transfer" dilemma already, and within the next three weeks that will extend to September/early October holidaymakers too, so I may not get certainty until after I need to choose.

I saw reported on another thread on here that P&O are thought to be waiting on Government guidance, progress with treatment, and vaccines before choosing when next to fall back to.  Also, that the current repatriation of staff could not be associated with an inevitable further delay beyond July in re-mobilizing the crew and supply chains because of how contracts run.  This was from "inside" P&O.

Being kind to P&O, I would say that they have a very good idea already if cruises will run in late Summer/early Autumn, but are choosing to sit tight for now - how long for is the question. 

I have a strong hunch that cruises won't be going as normal from the 1st August, even for fit and healthy under 70s; common sense tells you that.

Another reason why they are making a difficult time for everyone worse for customers than it need be.

Edited by No pager thank you
Wording
1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Re using FCC. Yes, the original communication said on bookings up to March 2022 but I have a feeling they might have mentioned that date purely on the basis that March 2022 is the latest that they have cruises on sale for, rather than it being a deadline. The deadline, as I see it, is the ‘book by date’ of end 2021. I say this for 2 reasons. Firstly, when I called to convert my deposit for our July / August cruise to FCC, I specifically asked whether, as long as I make a booking by end 2021, could I use the FCC on any cruise that was available at that point (e.g. summer 2022 cruises). He said ‘yes’ but as he was seconded from Cunard he would double check with a P&O colleague. I was put on hold for a minute and he came back and confirmed that was correct. Now I know that P&O are notorious for giving different answers to the same question, depending on who you speak to, but didn’t Paul Ludlows recent message about refund delays imply the same i.e. that FCC could be used on any available cruise at the time you redeem it? For some reason I haven’t received that message myself (even though I am still awaiting a refund for Select Dining bookings) so haven’t got the text at hand to quote. Maybe someone who received it can confirm?

16 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Re using FCC. Yes, the original communication said on bookings up to March 2022 but I have a feeling they might have mentioned that date purely on the basis that March 2022 is the latest that they have cruises on sale for, rather than it being a deadline. 

Yes, they do give out different answers.  At the very start of this, I asked could I use a FCC for an Iona cruise currently on sale in April 2022. 

Answer: No, because she sails a few days in to April 2022, not by the 31 March 2022.

This grated me given that was the first "slot" I had with work for holidays, as I booked throughout 2020 and 2021 when brochures released.

The official advice, after I had taken the delayed refund as a result was "any cruise currently on sale," I believe, so they did change their minds and I was somewhere in the queue.

I would imagine that they will extend FCC redemption availability to summer 2022, when released, but this is not a confirmed P&O position as yet, from what I can see.  Happy to be corrected.

The cautionary note I would cite here is the obvious one.  Will the fluid pricing, recovery of costs etc affect baseline summer 2022 pricing so that they are more expensive than the same holidays in 2020?

Prices will almost certainly go down when P&O need to recover business when trading restarts. 

However, no one knows yet if the new brochure will be launched in those conditions, so the usual rule of book early to get the best prices may not necessarily apply in these strange circumstances i.e. if confidence is low and demand is weak; fluidity could work to the customers advantage and even make the 25pc bonus occasionally worthwhile.

The guy I spoke to this morning said he didn't know whether with all this going on they would launching summer 2022 on time.  Remains to be seen, but he did make it clear that if I ask for an FCC now, I have to put it on a cruise now, so up to March 2022, whereas if I wait until Balance due date, they might have cancelled my October cruise and then I can just leave the FCC on the account.

16 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The guy I spoke to this morning said he didn't know whether with all this going on they would launching summer 2022 on time.  Remains to be seen, but he did make it clear that if I ask for an FCC now, I have to put it on a cruise now, so up to March 2022, whereas if I wait until Balance due date, they might have cancelled my October cruise and then I can just leave the FCC on the account.

That's as I thought - best to wait until last minute to decide.

1 hour ago, Cruising Nomads said:

Message for P&O Sue.

The prices for the upgrade on your Sept 2021 will be back dated to the price it was when you made the original booking. If you booked when the cruise was first released that would be the cabin price now. We all know prices are at there lowest when the cruises are first go on sale. Worth a call to P&O to check.

Yes I did think this was the case. I didn’t book on launch but sure the prices have gone up since I booked.

9 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

That's as I thought - best to wait until last minute to decide.

Yes I agree.  If you are in the position of having a cruise booked, but not fully paid for, waiting until the last minute to decide is the best strategy, in case P&O extend the cancellation timeframe before you have to pay.  

In such case, you would be entitled to your deposit back in cash if you wanted it, if you are prepared to wait, (or have an open FCC if preferred).

What I mentioned earlier was a strategy around transferring, if necessary, to avoid getting stung.

Had an interesting chat with Staysure about insurance.  when I insure, my already booked cruises will be covered.  If I got Covid on board I would be covered for medical expenses and repatriation.  I would not be covered for cancellation if I got Covid here at home.  I think that's a chance I would be happy with.  Just got to see what P&O will do about cruising.

31 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Had an interesting chat with Staysure about insurance.  when I insure, my already booked cruises will be covered.  If I got Covid on board I would be covered for medical expenses and repatriation.  I would not be covered for cancellation if I got Covid here at home.  I think that's a chance I would be happy with.  Just got to see what P&O will do about cruising.

We are with Staysure and have been for 3 years now, both of our 2021 cruises were booked in 2019 so I guess we will have the same cover as you were quoted. It is the medical/repatriation that is important. The cancellation I think you we can take a chance on.

Refund is in the bank!!  Graham, maybe thanks to Sarah Wing.  Only gave BACS details last Friday, so they must have done it via the fast route.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Refund is in the bank!!  Graham, maybe thanks to Sarah Wing.  Only gave BACS details last Friday, so they must have done it via the fast route.

Absolutely fantastic news Jean.

I am delighted for you.

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Finally Jean ! Must be a weight off your mind. Have a shandy to celebrate!