Cruise Critic Community
pinkpanther52

Pay it forward for our essential workers

While the NHS and related health care, care home professionals are doing an amazing jobs in these unprecedented times ❤️ 

I wanted to to help other folks that are continuing to provided  essential services for us all, as Supermarket workers are the only ones I am actually in contact with and they are undervalued.

May I suggested of us that can get out shopping buy something for whoever is on your checkout. A box of chocolates maybe or some flowers 

I have been doing this for the past two weeks and it feels like it is much appreciated 🙂 . Next plan is a wee gift for the security outside the supermarket.

Anyone any ideas what to get folks apart from Choc’s and flowers 

Hope everyone thinks this is a good idea and I feel part of the P and O cruise critic community even though I have not had the chance to go on a P and O cruise yet 🙂

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, pinkpanther52 said:

While the NHS and related health care, care home professionals are doing an amazing jobs in these unprecedented times ❤️ 

I wanted to to help other folks that are continuing to provided  essential services for us all, as Supermarket workers are the only ones I am actually in contact with and they are undervalued.

May I suggested of us that can get out shopping buy something for whoever is on your checkout. A box of chocolates maybe or some flowers 

I have been doing this for the past two weeks and it feels like it is much appreciated 🙂 . Next plan is a wee gift for the security outside the supermarket.

Anyone any ideas what to get folks apart from Choc’s and flowers 

Hope everyone thinks this is a good idea and I feel part of the P and O cruise critic community even though I have not had the chance to go on a P and O cruise yet 🙂

Yes, but where does it stop? Our dustmen are still working, our post lady is doing a great job, the guys down the road on the Trent pumping station  are working to make sure we don't get flooded. I went into two banks today to sort out money issues for my Mum.  I'm not giving them flowers, although everyone was  very civilised. The chap in the petrol station was very polite as well.  

My feeling, sorry, is that if, as an individual you want to give a gift, fine, but I, for one am not going to participate. 

Edited by wowzz

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Yes, but where does it stop? Our dustmen are still working, our post lady is doing a great job, the guys down the road on the Trent pumping station  are working to make sure we don't get flooded. I went into two banks today to sort out money issues for my Mum.  I'm not giving them flowers, although everyone was  very civilised. The chap in the petrol station was very polite as well.  

My feeling, sorry, is that if, as an individual you want to give a gift, fine, but I, for one am not going to participate. 

We all appreciate the efforts of the workers who are still out there helping to keep our country functioning in this crisis, and they do need our thanks. Whether by small gifts or kindness, patience and politeness. Even a genuine "Thank you " would be nice.

Avril 

I really make a point of thanking the checkout staff, security and the people cleaning the trolleys when visiting the supermarket.  I've also made a little thank you note to stick on our bin.  Doesn't  cost anything but will definitely make these people feel valued which they truly are!  

Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2020 at 10:01 PM, pinkpanther52 said:

I wanted to to help other folks that are continuing to provided  essential services for us all

On 4/7/2020 at 10:52 PM, wowzz said:

On 4/8/2020 at 9:00 AM, Adawn47 said:

Even a genuine "Thank you " would be nice.

On 4/8/2020 at 9:40 AM, dronnygirl said:

little thank you note.. Doesn't  cost anything but will definitely make these people feel valued which they truly are!  

The thing in common is that we all want to say "Thank you" which we all agree is kind and thoughtful and the decent thing to do.From a distance ! Or like Dronnygirl  just leave a note or as we do just open our front door and shout over "THANKS LADS"to our dustmen .

Giving gifts is a wonderful gesture but in these worrying times ,giving gifts and getting close up is not a good idea.  I have to ask my self ...

If a total stranger walked up to me (who could be starting with corona virus ,unaware) and 

said " this gifts for you" .Would I consume it or take it home with me? Knowing that the virus can live on surfaces for many hours later.  Would you ?

The best way we can thank them is to keep out the way and remember to clap for them tonight and stay at home apart from when we really need to go out. When you see any worker Postie or otherwise shout over thank you, it does mean a lot to them. 

unnamed.jpg.5b073425f5b09259c09d7bbc44b3adbf.jpg

Edited by kalos

Unfortunatly, poor people are the ones who were hit the most. Rich are not affected at all cause they dont care. They can spend time in their big houses with lots of entertainment. Middle class? Well, they will just stay at home for sometime and wait till the situation curves out. And here come poor people and service workers. These people provide for those who stay at home.. they deliver food, make sure your internet works, water supplies and etc. They have to work, and their work must be appreciated

7 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Unfortunatly, poor people are the ones who were hit the most. Rich are not affected at all cause they dont care. They can spend time in their big houses with lots of entertainment. Middle class? Well, they will just stay at home for sometime and wait till the situation curves out. And here come poor people and service workers. These people provide for those who stay at home.. they deliver food, make sure your internet works, water supplies and etc. They have to work, and their work must be appreciated

Tell me about it Rodger.

My son goes out in a 40 ft refrigerated  truck criss crossing the UK taking food from factories to the shops.

He sleeps out six night a week in his cab and when he gets to his drop off points and asks any chance of some

hot water in my flask to make a drink ,the answers been NO .

Even on some of the truck stops they have even shut the rest rooms to the drivers .

As you say "They have to work, and their work must be appreciated" ..... Without them ,no food simple's.