Cruise Critic Community
krisbelledc

Canceled our July Cruise :(

We sadly just had to cancel our July Mediterranean cruise from Monte Carlo to Venice. First cruise on Crystal and first cruise with our six year old. I received an e-mail from American Airlines that our return flight from Venice had already been canceled (they canceled all Venice flights this summer). Luckily it was four days before our 90 day window, so I will be reimbursed everything but the $300 future cruise credit. I'm thinking this cruise may end up being canceled anyway, but I didn't want to wait and risk it as flights were already being canceled. In addition, my husband is an essential worker and there was a chance he would be told he could no longer travel. I had everything planned from dinners and excursions, but I'm just so happy this was all handled quickly before the 90 day window ended. We have limited times we can travel now due to my daughter in elementary school, so will try to plan for next year. The itineraries look great as well, though it will cost us probably $3,000 more in a lower category room compared to our cruise this year. Definitely important to seize the opportunity to travel when you can as we never know how the world will change. Here's hoping 2021 is more promising! I don't mean to be a bummer as missing a cruise should be the least worry, during this time, but thought others could relate or also be impacted by American Airlines canceling many summer European routes.

I am sorry about the cancellation but July was likely too early to travel even if the flight hadn't yet been cancelled.

Yes I have learned in life to go by the saying don't put off to tomorrow those things you can do to day and that includes travel.  Putting Coronavirus aside some people wait and are too ill to travel or one might put off travel to a location which in the future is not possible to due to factors ranging from relationships with the country to environmental issues. 

Remember you have not lost the administrative fee.  If you book another cruise within the time stipulated you can reuse the administrative fee from the booking for that cruise.

I suspect when travel commences there will be some good deals across airlines, cruise lines, hotels, etc. as it will take quite a while for things to ramp up including the economy with some businesses going under (retail stores, restaurants, etc.) and certain companies cutting back.  

On the flight issues there will be a tremendous number of flights cancellations across most if not all airlines.  

I do think the future is bright particularly after a vaccine is developed for this dreaded disease.  We can only hope it will be sooner rather than later if that is possible.  

Best to you.

Keith

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I am sorry about the cancellation but July was likely too early to travel even if the flight hadn't yet been cancelled.

Yes I have learned in life to go by the saying don't put off to tomorrow those things you can do to day and that includes travel.  Putting Coronavirus aside some people wait and are too ill to travel or one might put off travel to a location which in the future is not possible to due to factors ranging from relationships with the country to environmental issues. 

Remember you have not lost the administrative fee.  If you book another cruise within the time stipulated you can reuse the administrative fee from the booking for that cruise.

I suspect when travel commences there will be some good deals across airlines, cruise lines, hotels, etc. as it will take quite a while for things to ramp up including the economy with some businesses going under (retail stores, restaurants, etc.) and certain companies cutting back.  

On the flight issues there will be a tremendous number of flights cancellations across most if not all airlines.  

I do think the future is bright particularly after a vaccine is developed for this dreaded disease.  We can only hope it will be sooner rather than later if that is possible.  

Best to you.

Keith

Thank you, Keith! Yes, all so true! I do think it will be canceled as well...wish we could have waited to cancel to receive the bonus, but we couldn't wait. Looking forward to future adventures! Best wishes to you too!

We are in the same boat as you.  We have a cruise in late June scheduled on the Serenity.  We are sure it will be cancelled.  We are waiting for it to be cancelled because we booked air through Crystal and we would prefer a refund over an airline credit.  

We are also in that boat . . . Late June cruise scheduled on Serenity that I would imagine they will cancel.

Notifying us sooner than later would make the process of canceling flights / hotels much easier . . . .

5 hours ago, parallax said:

We are in the same boat as you.  We have a cruise in late June scheduled on the Serenity.  We are sure it will be cancelled.  We are waiting for it to be cancelled because we booked air through Crystal and we would prefer a refund over an airline credit.  

Yes, I wanted to wait it out too, but then once our flight was canceled coming back with no alternative given, knew I had to take action. Hopefully you’ll get a future booking bonus!

21 minutes ago, lido1 said:

We are also in that boat . . . Late June cruise scheduled on Serenity that I would imagine they will cancel.

Notifying us sooner than later would make the process of canceling flights / hotels much easier . . . .

Yes! I wanted to wait it out too, but then when our flight was canceled with no other options available... figured it was a sign..along with bring in the 90 day window. Though, now we miss out on a future cruise bonus. 

3 hours ago, lido1 said:

Were you booked on Barcelona / Rome ?

Monte Carlo to Venice on July 10th. Our Venice flight home in American was already canceled.

American has cancel most flights in or out of Europe. I have a fall cruise on another line and the flight was still showing but I was it was cancel. Waiting on the cruise line to cancel or rework the cruise. Only time will tell.

We were on the Barcelona to Rome cruise.  Crystal booked our flights through Air France.

We cancelled our June 19 Norway cruise. The cruise before us was already cancelled.

10 hours ago, ellbon said:

American has cancel most flights in or out of Europe. I have a fall cruise on another line and the flight was still showing but I was it was cancel. Waiting on the cruise line to cancel or rework the cruise. Only time will tell.

Sad! Hope you can get a new flight!

20 minutes ago, AtA said:

We cancelled our June 19 Norway cruise. The cruise before us was already cancelled.

I'm sorry! It is tough!!!

33 minutes ago, AtA said:

Lisbon to Dover Cruise is still available for booking on Crystal’s website. 

I do think you have to take a month at a time.  i expect each month or every few weeks cruises to be reviewed and right now the odds are more will be cancelled.

Certainly if a decision had to be made today about a June cruise I suspect it wouldn't happen unless a miracle happens and sweeps the virus away. Maybe something like the parting of the Red Sea.  Bt I really don't see that happening.  

Right now many hotels are closed and flights cancelled.  Would one want to step on an airplane right now.  Next month?  In June?  

I am Mr Positive on so many items but this virus is deadly and with no vaccine on the horizon or large scale testing or medicine to treat the symptoms I just think we are not going to be back to even half-way normal for awhile IMHO.

Hoping there will be a good interim step later in the year or early in 2021 but think the next few months are not going to be anywhere near business as usual on land, in the air, and at sea.

Keith

We cancelled all our trips for this year , including a December cruise on Serenity. Two of our trips were cancelled by the tour companies, and the 4th which was scheduled for June we cancelled ourselves rather than make the final payment.

We won’t feel safe traveling until there is a Vaccine for the virus and/or a successful treatment. But we are optimistic and have booked 4 trips for 2021 beginning in April, including a September cruise on Symphony. 
In addition to not wanting to be exposed to the virus we are concerned about being stranded abroad should we be traveling at a time of uncertainty for return flights and the risk of being quarantined away from home. So we will wait and hope that science provide safe travels for us in the near future

44 minutes ago, tipsygirl said:

We cancelled all our trips for this year , including a December cruise on Serenity. Two of our trips were cancelled by the tour companies, and the 4th which was scheduled for June we cancelled ourselves rather than make the final payment.

We won’t feel safe traveling until there is a Vaccine for the virus and/or a successful treatment. But we are optimistic and have booked 4 trips for 2021 beginning in April, including a September cruise on Symphony. 
In addition to not wanting to be exposed to the virus we are concerned about being stranded abroad should we be traveling at a time of uncertainty for return flights and the risk of being quarantined away from home. So we will wait and hope that science provide safe travels for us in the near future

So true! That was our thought too...in case cases spiked again and then we were stuck. I'm glad you found some 2021 cruises! We are limited when we can travel due to my daughter in school, but found a nice summer 2021 crystal cruise to book when, hopefully, things calm down.

2 hours ago, TER777 said:

Lisbon to Dover Cruise is still available for booking on Crystal’s website. 

Yes but the segments it's part of were cancelled. It's only a matter of time they cancel June.

I am sure all cruiselines will  shut down until fall. I hope less for crew as They need paychecks.

11 minutes ago, ellbon said:

I am sure all cruiselines will  shut down until fall. I hope less for crew as They need paychecks.

Carnival has cancelled all cruises across all brands until 2021 - HAL-Celebrity-Princess-Seabourne...

27 minutes ago, AtA said:

Yes but the segments it's part of were cancelled. It's only a matter of time they cancel June.

The June 7 Lisbon to Dover is a full segment. It was a multi-segment back-to-back-to-back that was cancelled. That said, I agree that they are likely to cancel it sometime soon.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Carnival has cancelled all cruises across all brands until 2021 - HAL-Celebrity-Princess-Seabourne...

Where are you seeing this? Celebrity is RCCL, not Carnival.

Edited by JVNYC

14 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I don't see this on the Carnival website. Where did you hear it?

Posted (edited)

I got that information from one of then newsletters that I read. I thought Seatrade but I cannot find it right now.

I'll take back my post...

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.
Added a thought.