X should adopt these changes for social distancing going forward.

Pennstatedj

Let's suggest X change some of the cruising processes to adhere to social distancing.  Number one, stop the fire drill on embarkation day. Have everyone watch the film on your room tv. Have Cpt on speaker talking to get us use to his or her voice. X please have the government change law to permit this.  Number two,  Do not hold people in line checking in. Have all checking in like Port Everglades 18 & 25 piers. Number 3, stop all buffets like we know them. Try different ways to limit them with the baskets that were done about two years ago that people did not like. I was on Summit when it was tried. Number4, form a X committee to address this topic of social distancing. 

Anyone else have ideas, please suggest to X. We miss cruising and want to get back, but I hope they change some things. 

• Haha 1

I think on a cruise ship it’s pretty much impossible unless you cruise maybe one third full. Even then what’s to stop anyone catching it from a crew member ? They share cabins and are working closely most of the day. Rather like flying cruising will always pass around viruses, I seem  to get one or another of them on every cruise which is either from the cruise, the flights, or the hotel stays.

"Social distancing" is not going to be that effective on a cruise.  There needs to be treatment for the existing virus as well as a vaccine for it before it is safe to cruise again.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Well, given what the OP has indicated the areas which interests them for 'SD' they did not address the use of walkers and power chairs, what about them?

Does this mean no use of elevators or at minimum having to wait, possibly, 45+ minutes until one can occupy them alone or just always take the steps if one is very mobile?

What does this portend for 'tender' ports?

bon voyage

• Like 8

OK I am truly hoping that there will be NO NEED for social distancing once the world decides it is safe to cruise again.  Why do we want to continue this practice when life gets back to being relatively normal?  I still want to sit at the World Class Bar or Martini Bar and make new friends.  Not so easy to do if bar stools are 6 feet apart!😊

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

OK I am truly hoping that there will be NO NEED for social distancing once the world decides it is safe to cruise again.  Why do we want to continue this practice when life gets back to being relatively normal?  I still want to sit at the World Class Bar or Martini Bar and make new friends.  Not so easy to do if bar stools are 6 feet apart!😊

Then again, after a few good sips, it won't matter!!!

LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

Sorry, nice try, but those will never happen.  as state Muster drill is never going away, ever.  There is not way to ensure that everyone sits in their rooms and watches it.  Social distancing cannot happen on an enclosed cruise ship. As others have stated patrons need to use elevators, eat in dining rooms, eat at some form of buffet.  A cruise is a social event and social distancing will not work.  The only real cure to this, as stated is a vaccine.  if you are still uncomfortable after a vaccine is developed, cruising is definitely not for you.  Sorry

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I didn't see one thing in the post that I would adopt.

It's not funny, but, if there was ever an emergency , I don't care who's voice I hear .

And besides, the Captain makes daily announcements telling us where we are ( longitude, latitude , whatever that means )  , how far we have cruised since the last port, the speed that we are cruising at , the height of the waves and the temperature of the sea .  Next, the Cruise Director , all excited , tells us about bingo , trivia , the art auction, the evening show , and the golf putting contest.  

Let's hope it's not long before we can experience these fun times again .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe there will be changes in the buffet to minimize the use of shared utensils (as is already being done on HAL).  But any other social distancing methods would be ineffective on a cruise ship, as other posters have mentioned.  Which means, as already said, a lot of cruisers will not be on ships until there's a vaccine.  Unfortunately, that may be too long for some of the cruise operators to survive.  Cruise Industry News reported today that lay ups may cost the cruise industry a billion dollars just for April.  https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22749-april-lay-ups-could-cost-cruise-operators-1-billion.html 

There is no way to social distance on a cruise ship - period.  The only reasonable suggestions I've heard on these boards to help are the ones they tend to use when a ship is on 'red alert' for norovirus (no self-serve buffet, etc..).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yorky said:

I think on a cruise ship it’s pretty much impossible unless you cruise maybe one third full. Even then what’s to stop anyone catching it from a crew member ? They share cabins and are working closely most of the day. Rather like flying cruising will always pass around viruses, I seem  to get one or another of them on every cruise which is either from the cruise, the flights, or the hotel stays.

Good point...but I wonder why neither DH or I have contracted any virus, noro or otherwise while flying or cruising.  Perhaps some immune systems are less able to fight these types of illness?  I do think there has to be some kind of test for illness for crew and they are NOT allowed to work if they or their room-mate shows signs of ANYTHING that we and other crew could catch.  Probably not doable in the day of CV19 when you can't tell if someone has it until it manifests itself;  until there's a vaccine or some test given prior to sailing which shows the virus in the body or a test showing antibodies against it, some of us won't expose ourselves to cruising OR flying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Good point...but I wonder why neither DH or I have contracted any virus, noro or otherwise while flying or cruising.  Perhaps some immune systems are less able to fight these types of illness?  I do think there has to be some kind of test for illness for crew and they are NOT allowed to work if they or their room-mate shows signs of ANYTHING that we and other crew could catch.  Probably not doable in the day of CV19 when you can't tell if someone has it until it manifests itself;  until there's a vaccine or some test given prior to sailing which shows the virus in the body or a test showing antibodies against it, some of us won't expose ourselves to cruising OR flying.

I can fully understand that. We are in our 40/50s so not in the high risk group but I would not want to be on a cruise ship with the virus. I’m just as worried about flying as cruising, pretty sure I’ve picked up plenty of things on long haul flights. A vaccine is certainly the key for many people although plenty are still booking future cruises just now regardless.

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Agree...can’t wait to make new friends and hug people again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Texed said:

Yes, and in the theatre we can keep two empty seats between us.  😃

And I when i saw a couple with two seats between them, I thought they were just saving seats for friends....and I’d give them the ‘evil eye’!.....and here they were practicing Social Distancing before any of us knew what it was!!

I can barely wait for all the complainers when my friends and I go to El Bacio to play cards for an extended time and we each take a separate table and toss the cards at each table.....and don’t order anything!!!

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1