X should adopt these changes for social distancing going forward.

Pennstatedj

Just now, Miaminice said:

Well, you find odd ones out anywhere... LOL

Just joking! Of course we also accept that. Actually we also enjoy our peace and quiet on cruises and we usually do our own thing. However, we also enjoy meeting and speaking to interesting people during dinner etc.. 

In general cruising without socializing would not be the same at all!

m - Yes, I find them, for sure. We make for interesting conversation and banter... I like trying to draw them out of their shell to the degree they are comfortable doing so....

I want to pass the Presidency of that club on to you!!!

LOL

bon voyage

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It sounds like some of us would be better off cruising on our own private yachts.  Captain, two crew,  me and dw, and then 5 guests (temp checked of course).  That's 10.  Unfortunately I will need the financial market to come back and then some!

I would bring the alcohol and mixers, that is one expense spared....  LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Vaccine?  COVID-19 is mutating according to the virologists.  Just as there is a different strain every season, flu between the northern and southern hemispheres differs.  Betting on the vaccine that covers all is overly optimistic.  Then there are those who don't believe in vaccines and refuse.  How do you certify that everyone is vaccinated properly for the specific strain of virus?

I am sure there will be a vaccine. But just like you I am sure it will not work for years and that everyone will always have the latest vaccinations (just like flu).  Which is why above I compared the situation to other diseases which have no vaccines or just temporary vaccines.

At some point we will have to live with the presence of this virus, take all possible precautions and minimize the risk as much as possible. But we can´t and will not be 100% safe. People who expect to be, will have to stop cruising totally - along with many other everyday activities.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

Sorry, nice try, but those will never happen.  as state Muster drill is never going away, ever.  There is not way to ensure that everyone sits in their rooms and watches it.  Social distancing cannot happen on an enclosed cruise ship. As others have stated patrons need to use elevators, eat in dining rooms, eat at some form of buffet.  A cruise is a social event and social distancing will not work.  The only real cure to this, as stated is a vaccine.  if you are still uncomfortable after a vaccine is developed, cruising is definitely not for you.  Sorry

The term vaccine is used loosely.  We got vaccines when we were kids for polio.  It was a one time shot/sugar cube for us.  We get a Flu shot each year (they may call it a vaccine) and the hope is that Flu shot will protect us against that year's Flu viruses.  I assume it is the CDC that decides the make-up of each year's Flu shot.  Just to remind people too, the Flu does not guarantee you will not get the Flu that year. Most likely having gotten a Flu shot, you would get a milder version of Flu.

Cruise lines will need to come up with solutions to the public areas you mention.  I will not be shaking hands personally. I will not stand as close to others personally. I will stand/sit close to exits where the potential of fresh air flow is. I will skip some things/venues and spend more time out in open air venues.  I think cruise lines can modify the ships in near term and change ship designed longer term.  

Muster Drill needs to be redesigned.

Speech or Movie could be done in the terminal before boarding in smaller groups. Then after boarding, show up at your muster station at your leisure before sail away and check in with a crew member stationed in there at a table. Give your room number to them and you accomplish the task. You heard the speech, you located your muster station, all before sail away 

6 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

en masse, right?

😎

In health and bon voyage

Absolutely!  Can you imagine trying to practice SD on a cruise ship?  All that we love and hold dear about cruising would be gone....although....do know where I can get my hands on some pretty fancy face masks...hmmm, Bo..I think you just gave me an idea!! 🧏‍♀️

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Absolutely!  Can you imagine trying to practice SD on a cruise ship?  All that we love and hold dear about cruising would be gone....although....do know where I can get my hands on some pretty fancy face masks...hmmm, Bo..I think you just gave me an idea!! 🧏‍♀️

Sounds like you have a new business and a sailing plan to implement!!!

bon voyage

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Would those masks be from Mardi Gras??

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Denny01 said:

OK, lets get serious here. Right now we are all pretty much Stay at Home, and the recommendations have been that if you are in a group, make it 10 or less, sooooooo:

Only allow 10 people per cruise.....no, that won’t work; Only allow 10 people per deck, thats 140 or so per cruise...no that won’t work; how about 10 per common area, that’s about 600 people! Better than none, right? And the ship dan run  6 shows a day to allow the 10 to watch it in the theater; run 6 breakfasts/lunches/dinners for 10 each; 6 tours at each port.....Wow that may be kind of neat wouldn’t it!?!  A 3,000 person ship with 600 of us on it.....the only problem will be the 30 or so crew that would be allowed on....oops. 

Den

you must be an actuary! 

Sounds like the OP is just using social distancing as an excuse to change long standing "hated" cruise policies such waiting in embarkment lines and going to the muster drill.  How can we utilize social distancing to:

Ensure the industry pays the crew a descent wage so we don't have to tip?

Stop chair hogs?

Line cutters?

Add ten extra elevators?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Sounds like the OP is just using social distancing as an excuse to change long standing "hated" cruise policies such waiting in embarkment lines and going to the muster drill.

You know what?  When the day finally comes that cruising begins again, I will never curse another muster drill or long embarkation line again!  I will treasure it and find something to enjoy about it.  Never did I imagine myself feeling that way!  Oh my how things change!  

• Like 1

when the ship i was on canceled the private island at christmas, i decided to walk around and check out the pool deck . i never was on a crowded pool deck in 5 cruises. but the animal house nature i saw on there was overwhelming. chairs even in the aisles. every which way, i dont know how people could find pleasure in this, but they did. so theres zero chance of any SD on any ship with a pool.  just wont happen. ever. personally i dont need a pool. but i do love me some hot tubs. one per cabin would be great!

When we went on the Equinox in early March on their last cruise before all was shut down because of COVID, they took our temperature when we entered the terminal before going through security. If you failed 3 times you had to go see the doctor before being allowed to board.

It would be nice if they continued that practise on embarkation day. IMHO someone with flu-like symptoms to include a 100+ degree temp should not be allowed to board the ship.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

12 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

To be fair, we cannot and will not ever be 100% safe in general - virus or no. 

Correct! That’s why I wrote: along with many other everyday activities. 

Regardless of the virus one who expects 100% safety could never fly, drive a car, cruise... you name it.

Everything in life has a risk attached. We can only minimize the risk as much as we can - and learn to live with the remaining risk. And my statement about the virus is exactly that.

I think that even considering the seriousness of the corona situation, some people just need to take a breath and think pragmatic. Life after corona will go on. People generally tend to forget lessons all too soon. Sometimes that’s good, sometimes not so much. But it’s human.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Correct! That’s why I wrote: along with many other daily activities. 

Regardless of the virus one could never fly again, drive a car, cruise... you name it.

Everything has a risk attached. We can only minimize the risk as much as we can - and learn to live with the remaining risk. And my statement about the virus is exactly that.

I think that even considering the seriousness of the corona situation, some people just need to take a breath and think pragmatic. Life after corona will go on. People generally tend to forget lessons all too soon. Sometimes that’s good, sometimes not so much. But it’s human.

The virus is not vissible and stays on any surface for a very long period of time. The thing is that even masks are not that effective.. if not at all. I would suggest either staying at home or keeping a good distance, not visit highly populated places and avoid traveling for awhile. I agree with you on thinking pragmatic. Some people simply forget what it is like to live a safe life. We risk our lives enough even without any pandemic

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

Correct! That’s why I wrote: along with many other everyday activities. 

Regardless of the virus one who expects 100% safety could never fly, drive a car, cruise... you name it.

Everything in life has a risk attached. We can only minimize the risk as much as we can - and learn to live with the remaining risk. And my statement about the virus is exactly that.

We will certainly be making a balanced judgement in February should our cruise actually sail. As you say everything in life is a risk and only you can decide what level you are comfortable with. Irresponsibility is certainly a factor if your actions could effect others ( cross contamination) and that will also be a factor in our decision at the time.

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

The virus is not vissible and stays on any surface for a very long period of time. The thing is that even masks are not that effective.. if not at all. I would suggest either staying at home or keeping a good distance, not visit highly populated places and avoid traveling for awhile. I agree with you on thinking pragmatic. Some people simply forget what it is like to live a safe life. We risk our lives enough even without any pandemic

However, with all these discussions about touching things (which isn’t the best idea in general) we must not forget and stick to the fact that risk of contact contamination with Covid-19 is very low. And that is not my personal opinion but what virologist around the world agree on. Covid-19 is primarily transmitted by aerosoles.

Mask can be effective if everyone wears them. Regular masks block sending, not receiving - so if there’s no sending, there’s no receiving. But then everyone has to wear them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

The term vaccine is used loosely.  We got vaccines when we were kids for polio.  It was a one time shot/sugar cube for us.  We get a Flu shot each year (they may call it a vaccine) and the hope is that Flu shot will protect us against that year's Flu viruses.  I assume it is the CDC that decides the make-up of each year's Flu shot.  Just to remind people too, the Flu does not guarantee you will not get the Flu that year. Most likely having gotten a Flu shot, you would get a milder version of Flu.

Cruise lines will need to come up with solutions to the public areas you mention.  I will not be shaking hands personally. I will not stand as close to others personally. I will stand/sit close to exits where the potential of fresh air flow is. I will skip some things/venues and spend more time out in open air venues.  I think cruise lines can modify the ships in near term and change ship designed longer term.  

We had the shot, enhanced version for Seniors, and had the  regular flu.  We flew to NY from Fl, were exposed to family who may have had it.( they tested neg).and it hit us like a thunderbolt. Never felt so sick.. not mild!

This was early Feb and we now wonder if it was the reg flu or the Covid? 

We will be even more careful on airplanes and ships  but one uncovered sneeze is all it takes!

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

However, with all these discussions about touching things (which isn’t the best idea in general) we must not forget and stick to the fact that risk of contact contamination with Covid-19 is very low. And that is not my personal opinion but what virologist around the world agree on. Covid-19 is primarily transmitted by aerosoles.

This. The podcast series Science Vs. - which is always well researched and provides NUMEROUS citations for every episode - is dedicating this entire season to COVID-19. Their most recent episode was talking about this contact spreading and should we be walking around with bleach wipes in our hands to wipe every little thing. And the consensus by the scientists they spoke with is that while the virus can live on surfaces, so many things would have to line up - you would have to touch the surface in exactly the right spot, you'd then have to put your hands/fingers/object (because the guy she talked with initially was concerned about having handed over his credit card at a pizza place and then having to touch the pen - he's one who's walking around with bleach wipes making everyone behind him wait as he wipes anything down before touching it...the scientist she was interviewing said "I was always taught don't put money in your mouth and don't put your hands in your mouth after handling money...a credit card is money.") almost immediately in your mouth, and even then there would have to be enough of the virus there to even begin to infect. They did not say it was not possible - but it is highly unlikely.

Keeping the hands/fingers out of the mouth/nose is one thing a mask can help with - you have to consciously move it to get to your nose or mouth. So in that respect it can help with preventing possibly ingestion from contacts.