Jump to content

Shareholder OBC


tennboy1981
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm interested in buying the 100 shares, but need to understand one thing first. The offer says:

 

"Only one onboard credit per shareholder-occupied stateroom."

 

I fully understand that this means I cannot use the shareholder benefit twice for the same sailing, but does it also mean I won't be able to combine the $100 shareholder OBC with the $300 OBC that I received for something totally unrelated?

 

One more question...how long has the shareholder offer been in effect? Is this something they just started doing because of the recent huge stock price drop?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, RMcoolX said:

I'm interested in buying the 100 shares, but need to understand one thing first. The offer says:

 

"Only one onboard credit per shareholder-occupied stateroom."

 

I fully understand that this means I cannot use the shareholder benefit twice for the same sailing, but does it also mean I won't be able to combine the $100 shareholder OBC with the $300 OBC that I received for something totally unrelated?

 

One more question...how long has the shareholder offer been in effect? Is this something they just started doing because of the recent huge stock price drop?

The shareholder credit can be combined with any obc.  It has been around for a long time.  First time we used it was 2003 and it wasn't new then. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have always "snail-mailed" my request for the shareholder OBC along with a copy of a current brokerage statement showing ownership.  I have never gotten any reply from Carnival saying that the credit had been approved, but it always has been.  Watch the on-line statement showing what you owe/have paid for the cruise, it will show up.

 

Even though they have suspended the dividend, I do not see Carnival suspending the OBC for shareholders.  It costs them next to nothing, and creates much good will within the shareholder community.

 

To the OP:  This is an excellent time to invest, not only in CCL but in other equities.  BUT, be sure to do your research.  Some companies will not survive in this economic climate.  It will take CCL several years to return to the level where I bought it.  Be cautious, don't invest dollars you cannot afford to lose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RMcoolX said:

"Only one onboard credit per shareholder-occupied stateroom."

 

What it means is that even if 2 or more occupants of the stateroom have Carnival stock, only one can get the OBC. I have never had a problem combining the shareholder OBC with any other offer. Here's hoping this benefit doesn't go away after the huge drop in the stock market. 

As to the "correct" way to use this OBC, this is what the shareholder benefit statement says:

"This benefit is not transferable, cannot be exchanged for cash and, cannot be used for casino credits/charges and gratuities charged to your onboard account." 

From comments made on these forums, the cruise lines are not enforcing this rule of use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

What it means is that even if 2 or more occupants of the stateroom have Carnival stock, only one can get the OBC. I have never had a problem combining the shareholder OBC with any other offer. Here's hoping this benefit doesn't go away after the huge drop in the stock market. 

As to the "correct" way to use this OBC, this is what the shareholder benefit statement says:

"This benefit is not transferable, cannot be exchanged for cash and, cannot be used for casino credits/charges and gratuities charged to your onboard account." 

From comments made on these forums, the cruise lines are not enforcing this rule of use.

We have never had a problem using it for gratuities on any line owned by the Carnival Corporation. (I guess we would have if we had not cancelled our upcoming Princess cruise because gratuities were included.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We have never had a problem using it for gratuities on any line owned by the Carnival Corporation. (I guess we would have if we had not cancelled our upcoming Princess cruise because gratuities were included.)

Same here. We have found that the cruise lines use up the OBC for whatever charges are on the account. We have never tried getting a cash refund through the casino; we spend all the nonrefundable OBC on shore excursions, etc. And we also had 2 Princess cruises cancelled that had free gratuities--should be in New Zealand today then across the Pacific. 😢 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We have never had a problem using it for gratuities on any line owned by the Carnival Corporation. (I guess we would have if we had not cancelled our upcoming Princess cruise because gratuities were included.)

For now.

 

Enforcement of the rules can begin at any time with or without notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cruisecrazypat said:

Just started buying Carnival stock.  Where do I find the form to request the OBC?  Have 3 cruises booked this year.

 

I'm sure a form probably exists, but I've never used it.  I've simply emailed them my booking #'s, sail dates, ship names, and the name under which the cruises are booked...and I've also included a copy of my brokerage statement to verify stock ownership.

 

The email address I've used is guestadmin@carnival.com

 

From there, I've usually received approval for my OBC in about 24-48 hours.

 

Additionally, while I've used email, I think the actual preferred method (according to Carnival) is to send the documents via fax or snail mail.

 

If you prefer to fax, the # is 305-406-6102.  Alternatively, you can also mail the documents to:

 

Carnival Cruise Lines 
Attn: Guest Administration MSM2-200
3655 N.W. 87th Avenue 
Miami, FL 33178
 
Garnett

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cruisecrazypat said:

Just started buying Carnival stock.  Where do I find the form to request the OBC?  Have 3 cruises booked this year.

 

2 hours ago, N7786W Flyer said:

 

I'm sure a form probably exists, but I've never used it.  I've simply emailed them my booking #'s, sail dates, ship names, and the name under which the cruises are booked...and I've also included a copy of my brokerage statement to verify stock ownership.

 

The email address I've used is guestadmin@carnival.com

 

From there, I've usually received approval for my OBC in about 24-48 hours.

 

Additionally, while I've used email, I think the actual preferred method (according to Carnival) is to send the documents via fax or snail mail.

 

If you prefer to fax, the # is 305-406-6102.  Alternatively, you can also mail the documents to:

 

Carnival Cruise Lines 
Attn: Guest Administration MSM2-200
3655 N.W. 87th Avenue 
Miami, FL 33178
 
Garnett

 

This is the form that I use. Although it says Princess, it has always been accepted for me on Carnival assuming I sent it to the proper fax number instead of the Princess one.

PDF is attached

9F35D10A-981C-4BF7-B73B-3D6E10A9F101.thumb.jpeg.52d44b60cecb9edab953366db74eb644.jpeg

PCLShareholderBenefit.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, N7786W Flyer said:

 

I'm sure a form probably exists, but I've never used it.  I've simply emailed them my booking #'s, sail dates, ship names, and the name under which the cruises are booked...and I've also included a copy of my brokerage statement to verify stock ownership.

 

The email address I've used is guestadmin@carnival.com

 

From there, I've usually received approval for my OBC in about 24-48 hours.

 

Additionally, while I've used email, I think the actual preferred method (according to Carnival) is to send the documents via fax or snail mail.

 

If you prefer to fax, the # is 305-406-6102.  Alternatively, you can also mail the documents to:

 

Carnival Cruise Lines 
Attn: Guest Administration MSM2-200
3655 N.W. 87th Avenue 
Miami, FL 33178
 
Garnett

 

Make sure you cross out any identifying numbers for your brokerage report. They will not accept it if those numbers are visible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 160july said:

I bought 100 shares about 2 weeks ago. Would one of you be so kind as telling me what I have to do to have the OBC credit applied to my cruise for next March?

 

I'm not personally familiar with how this works but it looks to me like post directly above yours gives some guidance on this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 160july said:

I bought 100 shares about 2 weeks ago. Would one of you be so kind as telling me what I have to do to have the OBC credit applied to my cruise for next March?

 

23 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

 

I'm not personally familiar with how this works but it looks to me like post directly above yours gives some guidance on this?

 

Yep, posts # 17 & 34 pretty much give every single available detail.

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2020 at 9:28 AM, Earthworm Jim said:

I'm wondering if, since so many people were able to get their 100 shares cheaply recently, they'll eventually increase the amount of shares you need to have to qualify. I doubt they'll do it soon, because anyone wanting to buy their shares right now is a big plus for them while the cost of OBC won't hit them until after cruises resume. But eventually.

I can see them changing it in Feb at the next annual meeting and I bet they will stop or reduce dividends

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2020 at 1:31 PM, bury me at sea said:

 

coevans I don't have any fight with you, but no, I don't know what you meant.  Thus you are correct when you say it is semantics.

 

 

 

 

OBC is meant to be used on board. If instead, you keep the credit on your sail and sign account and then cash it out via casino, that would be “incorrect.” As a shareholder, you shouldn’t want the company to lose money. When using OBC for drinks, gift shop, even casino, it doesn’t really cost the company $100. If you take it out as cash, it does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

OBC is meant to be used on board. If instead, you keep the credit on your sail and sign account and then cash it out via casino, that would be “incorrect.” As a shareholder, you shouldn’t want the company to lose money. When using OBC for drinks, gift shop, even casino, it doesn’t really cost the company $100. If you take it out as cash, it does.

 

That's an interesting way to look at the meaning of incorrect.

 

Carnival allows casino players to fund their "casino bank" with OBC.  Since it is allowed it seems illogical to consider it incorrect.

 

Let's just agree to disagree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

 

That's an interesting way to look at the meaning of incorrect.

 

Carnival allows casino players to fund their "casino bank" with OBC.  Since it is allowed it seems illogical to consider it incorrect.

 

Let's just agree to disagree.

Technically, they don't allow it per the shareholder benefit terms and the terms/restrictions that accompany most onboard credit offers. The fact is simple: it's not currently enforced which doesn't necessarily mean it's allowed.

 

Perhaps Carnival never built their infrastructure to separate this from certain types of onboard credit but they can begin enforcement anytime with or without notice. And you're aware it cannot be used for this from the time you requested the onboard credit or reserved a certain promotion.

Edited by xDisconnections
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I appreciate the responses to my first questions. 

 

One more...Do CCL and CUK stock buys both qualify for the shareholder benefit? Assuming the answer is yes, I now wonder why would a person pay the higher CCL price versus the CUK price?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2020 at 6:21 PM, tm_aw_love said:

I would expect that the shareholder benefits may not be renewed at the end of this year. 

And if it does happen....it'll trigger the beginning of the end of my relationship with Carnival.   Bought 100 shares about a year ago that garnered me 100 in OBC and whatever dividend they gave, but the shares are worth  almost 4K less. Have enough in gift cards to pay off my Mardi Gras cruise next year and whatever cruise I book for 2022 or 2023.  Hopefully by then Carnival's stock will have increased enough to recoup some of my losses as well as the reinstatement of the OBC.  Otherwise my 2 cruises per year will be spent on other lines.  Only 4 out of my last 14 have been on Carnival anyway.  This platinum cruiser removed his rose colored glasses years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...