We are currently book on a June cruise out of Dublin to Ireland/Iceland and looking at possible replacement cruises for June of 2021 and but Celebrity no longer goes out of Dublin but Amsterdam. which is a real bummer because I have done a lot of research on Dublin and have several days worth of activities that we were supposed to do.  Does anyone know why and if they will ever be using the Dublin port again? Thanks

We are in the same boat still booked on the May 18 sailing from Dublin and now looking at next May out of Amsterdam.  The good new is the cruise we are looking at still goes to Dublin and some other Irish ports, the bad news who really knows what the future holds for any of this cruise stuff.  Celebrity has sailed from Dublin for years so I am left wondering why the change?  

We cruised out of Dublin in the Eclipse in June 2018 and I thought it was one of the first sailing from Dublin.  The taxi drivers had no idea where to go to get to tge ship.  The port did not have any signs directing traffic to a terminal.  In retrospect it was rather funny as taxis, limos & vans trying to figure out where to go. 

We loved Dublin but the port was difficult to get transportation.    Maybe Amsterdam 

made a better offer.  Amsterdam   cruise terminal is much more convenient to getting in & out and very close to the center of Amsterdam.

Looking online,  Dublin announced a while back that it is scaling back their cruise ship portages starting next year.  It seems that their cargo business has boomed and that they are scaling back the cruises for that reason.  The article I just read said that while the cruise lines, specifically Celebrity, were very unhappy about this change, the city agrees with this plan.  The article further noted that the beginning and ending of cruises in Dublin would be most affected, and mostly only day visits allowed. 

This info may explain why the changes are coming.  Dublin is one of our favorite cities and we have done 2 cruise visits there, as well as 2 land -only visits.   However, the port is removed from the city center and as noted above, transportation to and from the port can be difficult. 

According to this article, Celebrity started sailing out of Dublin in 2018.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/11/30/celebrity-cruises-dublin-ireland/94656484/

We were on one of the Reflection cruises out of Dublin in 2019.  The port was a short drive to the city center, but taxis and public transportation were not that easy to get.  We really enjoyed our visit to Dublin.  

We heard that cargo deliveries have increased in Dublin since Brexit.  They are picking up deliveries that used to go to the UK.

Edited by cruiserchuck

OP, as you had planned on staying in Dublin for several days anyway, why not continue with that plan and pop over to Amsterdam when it's time to cruise. Alternatively, there are a few 2021 cruises being offered by other lines.

6 hours ago, cruising teacher80 said:

Does anyone know why and if they will ever be using the Dublin port again? Thanks

"Ever" is a long time. My bet is at some point they will cruise out of Dublin. 

As DiamondDiva mentioned, Dublin Port Authority reversed their original thoughts to expand the port for cruise passengers and have decided to severely restrict cruising. There will be no turnarounds in Dublin at all.

Such a shame ... we really enjoyed our Eclipse cruise RT Dublin in May 2018.

Here's a link to an article last year outlining the changes:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/news/dublin-port-plans-to-cut-number-cruise-calls-in-half/

The Dublin Port Company decided to invest in cargo facilities instead of investing in developing the cruise facilities.The reason for this is business reasons in terms of cost-benefit analysis and focusing on what is their core business.

One of the aspects raised is that cruise passengers do not bring much money to the port itself. Other areas of the city economy do benefit to a degree e.g. tour companies, but all in all there is also a view that many cruise passengers do not spend money off the ship - others are of the view that it makes a busy city even busier.  Similar debates are happening in other European cities. 

I can understand the perspective of the port company - they have to invest in what gives them the best return. I can also see (having been on cruises) how many do not spend money off the ship - we did. The key benefit to a city is probably to the tour operators (although seemingly the cruise companies squeeze their margins) with a less tangible benefit being those cruise tourists who will return. Of course, as a “home port” there can also be benefits in terms of hotel nights (but some are of the view that is overstated).

Dublin is a great destination for 3/4 days and the the road network is very good to facilitate land touring around the country where people will get a far more immersive and rewarding experience. 

Dublin has been used only for a few departures in May and June since 2018 and bookings have never been high, always a lot of last minute discounts. Last year they had to offer the Iceland cruises in May for under 1.000 Euro p.p. in a balcony cabin. The Dublin ship always changed to Amsterdam in June for the rest of the season.

I do not know what the Dublin cruise port capacity is like right now but I do recall a couple of years ago that the taxi/bus transportation was problematic. That said, I'd agree that Ireland would be a great place to tour 3-4 days.

On 4/8/2020 at 3:08 PM, cruising teacher80 said:

We are currently book on a June cruise out of Dublin to Ireland/Iceland and looking at possible replacement cruises for June of 2021 and but Celebrity no longer goes out of Dublin but Amsterdam. which is a real bummer because I have done a lot of research on Dublin and have several days worth of activities that we were supposed to do.  Does anyone know why and if they will ever be using the Dublin port again? Thanks

Best option may be a 3-4 day stay in Dublin (really could do more than that and still not see everything in the city and nearby), then fly to a European city with frequent cruise departures.  Of course, that may nit be available until 2021.