Jump to content

Cruise Critic News: Carnival Cruise Line Limits Capacity on Select Voyages in May and June


LauraS
 Share

Recommended Posts

The cruiseaholic in me says yea, go on and book that unbelievable awesome casino deal for May, June or July, but my sound reasoning says just wait, let's see what happens. Kudos to everyone who wants to cruise right now, but the next few months would be a no for me. I do have the Mardi Gras booked for Feb, 2021, but thinking delays may keep me from sailing even then. The whole thing sucks!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

People seem to forget....Carnival doesn't have the final say about "when to sail" or "how many per ship".  It's up to the govt.

......and it's up to the virus as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

If they have half the people on the ship are they still going to have an entire host of activities (multiple seatings, multiple show performances) space between deck chairs, less crew (maintain same ratio but less people)

 

Come on...that's easy to do....think of the line to shake the Cap's hand..

At 6ft apart, decks 2,3,4,5, & 6, can easily handle it...if needed, just snake the line down into the bilge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

People seem to forget....Carnival doesn't have the final say about "when to sail" or "how many per ship".  It's up to the govt.

I don’t think the govt has much say but I assume they could deny entry to a us port . Since they weren’t included in the bailout since supposedly foreign ships . Anyone know the answer ? The cdc may have lots of recommendations however 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I see Nassau is on the list of mid-May cruises.  A poster on a private forum lives in Nassau. She posted that at 5 p.m. last Friday, the government ordered people to stay at home (with the exception of police, fire, medical, and utility workers) from 8 p.m. that night  (just three hours after the announcement was made) until Monday at 5 a.m.  They could not leave their homes to purchase groceries or pick up food.  The lockdown started again at 9 p.m. on Wednesday and will last through Tuesday morning at 5 a.m.  They are not allowed to leave their homes for exercise and can only shop during certain hours on certain days, based on their last names.  The lockdowns are expected to continue every weekend until the end of April.  Does that sound like a country ready to receive cruise ship visitors in five weeks?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

they sold out in 1 day.  many here just dont realize, the need for them to get going, and the many that are willing to go ,once this curve starts coming down. 

Many do realize the position cruise lines are in. 

Many do realize the need for cruise lines to sail 

Many do realize it is a financial burden on them

 

MANY more realize this is far from over.

There will have to be stipulation before cruiselines sail again. 

Sail too soon and 1 or more pax comes down with Covid-19 the PR would destroy them.

 

I think I've said it before Good Luck with your cruise, reading these boards more pax are opposed to sailing this soon than wanting to jump right back into cruising.

 

Time will tell that's for sure!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, beerman2 said:

Many do realize the position cruise lines are in. 

Many do realize the need for cruise lines to sail 

Many do realize it is a financial burden on them

 

MANY more realize this is far from over.

There will have to be stipulation before cruiselines sail again. 

Sail too soon and 1 or more pax comes down with Covid-19 the PR would destroy them.

 

I think I've said it before Good Luck with your cruise, reading these boards more pax are opposed to sailing this soon than wanting to jump right back into cruising.

 

Time will tell that's for sure!

many dont realize, its not going to be as they envision it,  they will restart sooner than most think.  they will start slow with a few cruises .  Carnival just showed how they will do it, yet we have disbelievers being pessimistic.  i understand some wont cruise,. thats a personal choice. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

They've go to be cruises to nowhere.......maybe a private island.

The cruise I’m scheduled for on June 15th goes to Nassau and Half Moon Cay. You can no longer book it and I’m guessing we won’t be porting in Nassau. I’m up in the air on whether or not to buy airfare. Really wish we had decided to drive for this one but it’s too far for a 4 day cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

I trust doctors actually treating patients more than I trust bureaucrats any day.  Empirical data always trails and can be manipulated .

 

Doctors are the ones to collect and report empirical data. Bureaucrats have nothing to do with it.

 

Listen to the doctors. They are not saying there is a cure, vaccine, or reliable safe therapies. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This excuse of closing off bookings due to managing the # of pax, seems to me like a way to keep people booking that $400 6 or 7 day cruise you know 99% will be cancelled to get the $600 obc.

 

I cant be the only one thought of doing this.

 

I think they know these cruises will be cancelled in late may, saves them paying out a bunch of obc and saves all that processing time.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

This excuse of closing off bookings due to managing the # of pax, seems to me like a way to keep people booking that $400 6 or 7 day cruise you know 99% will be cancelled to get the $600 obc.

 

I cant be the only one thought of doing this.

 

I think they know these cruises will be cancelled in late may, saves them paying out a bunch of obc and saves all that processing time.

 

 

I totally agree that limiting their payouts is a good strategy.  Less passenger complications to deal with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The hard-core "optimists" seem to keep clutching at straws.
 

But if you're SERIOUSLY thinking cruise ships will sail in May, maybe you look at contrary evidence:
 

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-universal-theme-parks-orlando-extend-closures-coronavirus-20200409-v2u3d6elpvdlbcy7gi4ivrlapy-story.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

This excuse of closing off bookings due to managing the # of pax, seems to me like a way to keep people booking that $400 6 or 7 day cruise you know 99% will be cancelled to get the $600 obc.

 

I cant be the only one thought of doing this.

 

I think they know these cruises will be cancelled in late may, saves them paying out a bunch of obc and saves all that processing time.

 

 

 

You're not. I (& probably others that I haven't seen) have said or implied it.

 

Me thinks the boys with the key to the executive toilet, have derived their war plans from the book/movie "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room"

  

16 hours ago, InDaPast said:

 

Yea...dream on Carney....

 

Or, is it a ploy to hang onto folks deposits longer? IE, they want to give folks hope, while the MBA grads in the head office know otherwise.....maybe they were interns at Enron....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2020 at 3:34 PM, LauraS said:

(3:10 p.m. EDT) – Carnival Cruise Line is limiting capacity on select voyages in May and June, in response to the global COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. While Carnival had already temporarily suspended all sailings until May 11, the line has now closed inventory on select sailing dates across its fleet throughout May and June in order to provide ...

news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs

G-X_v4wHmtI

View the full article

May 17th on the Pride let's goooo!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

many dont realize, its not going to be as they envision it,  they will restart sooner than most think.  they will start slow with a few cruises .  Carnival just showed how they will do it, yet we have disbelievers being pessimistic.  i understand some wont cruise,. thats a personal choice. 

 

Carnival is doing a PR stunt and talking a bunch of nonsense.  The cruise industry is going to take a huge brutal beating for the rest of this year. 

 

I have a cruise that I am waiting to get cancelled that departs on May 24th.   There is no way I am putting myself on that petri dish and I am sure the vast majority of people booked on that cruise would also not subject themselves to being put on that petri dish as well. 

 

Its a joke that they haven't already cancelled their may and June cruises.  It makes me loose a lot of respect for them as a corporation that they would consider putting their guests and their staff in danger by even pondering  starting cruising again in May or June. 

 

Makes me wonder if they are so reckless with wanting to start sailing again in May or June, what other safety aspects of their ship do they neglect behind the scenes?

 

 

 

Edited by gary6177
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The hard-core "optimists" seem to keep clutching at straws.

 

It's no secret that corporations, governments, & small business owners (sellers on Amazon/Ebay), employ posters to engage on social media in ways that promote their employers or to confuse certain issues. Some of these employees are involved with their forums for a very long time. Most of their postings are benign & they earn a good reputation. When something occurs that requires them to push the party line, they can then jump in & recite the contents of the memo they got from the head office.

 

I'm not singling out any one on CC. I just think it would be naive not to consider that possibility.

 

If you can accept that possibility, then I wonder how many of our "optimists" are truly optimistic.

Edited by InDaPast
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, gary6177 said:

 

Carnival is doing a PR stunt and talking a bunch of nonsense.  The cruise industry is going to take a huge brutal beating for the rest of this year. 

 

I have a cruise that I am waiting to get cancelled that departs on May 24th.   There is no way I am putting myself on that petri dish and I am sure the vast majority of people booked on that cruise would also not subject themselves to being put on that petri dish as well. 

 

Its a joke that they haven't already cancelled their may and June cruises.  It makes me loose a lot of respect for them as a corporation that they would consider putting their guests and their staff in danger by even pondering  starting cruising again in May or June. 

 

Makes me wonder if they are so reckless with wanting to start sailing again in May or June, what other safety aspects of their ship do they neglect behind the scenes?

 

 

 


Has any cruise line canceled all of their May and June sailings? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, gary6177 said:

 

Carnival is doing a PR stunt and talking a bunch of nonsense.  The cruise industry is going to take a huge brutal beating for the rest of this year. 

 

I have a cruise that I am waiting to get cancelled that departs on May 24th.   There is no way I am putting myself on that petri dish and I am sure the vast majority of people booked on that cruise would also not subject themselves to being put on that petri dish as well. 

 

Its a joke that they haven't already cancelled their may and June cruises.  It makes me loose a lot of respect for them as a corporation that they would consider putting their guests and their staff in danger by even pondering  starting cruising again in May or June. 

 

Makes me wonder if  they are so reckless with wanting to start sailing again in May or June, what other safety aspects of their ship do they neglect behind the scenes?

 

 

 

 

 

We have a European River cruise July 20 and am not optimistic. Europe is way ahead of the U.S. curve and Ama Waterways has cancelled through June 30. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...