Just received this from Crystal. We were booked on the Nobu cruise. No surprise given the shutdown of the yards, and we were not sure we would have made the final payment in July anyway given the situation with the virus. Will probably take the two FCCs and apply then against our 2022 WC booking.

Crystal Ocean Cruises

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

April 8, 2020

Regarding:

YEN201015-16 | Crystal Endeavor | October 15, 2020 | 16 nights | Bali to Cairns

As you may know, MV WERFTEN, the shipyard group that is building Crystal Endeavor, announced in March that it would temporarily halt operations at its Rostock, Stralsund and Wismar sites to protect employees during the global COVID-19 pandemic. Because there is uncertainty when work can fully resume on the ship, it is with deep regret that Crystal has made the decision to postpone the launch of the ship and cancel all itineraries through October 31, 2020.

We know that you, like all of us, have been looking forward to the introduction of Crystal Endeavor and experiencing our remarkable new ship and we sincerely apologize that your travel plans have been impacted by this unprecedented global health situation.

Guests will have two options to consider:

Best Cruise Value Option:

• A Future Cruise Payment Credit* equal to 100% of monies paid as of April 7, 2020 and an additional $1,500 per person Future Cruise Credit* – valid on any Crystal experience (Ocean, River, Yacht or Expedition) embarking through December 31, 2022.

OR

Refund & Goodwill Credit Option:

• A 100% refund of deposit monies paid. Guests who select this option will also receive a goodwill $500 per person Future Cruise Credit*.

If you are unable to redeem your Future Cruise Payment Credit by December 31, 2022, you may request a refund of the original cruise fare paid.

We will be applying the Future Cruise Credits to your guest profile. However, if you prefer the refund option, we kindly ask that you advise your travel advisor or us no later than April 22, 2020 by emailing us at Resolutions@crystalcruises.com.

We also suggest you contact your travel advisor to further discuss these options and to assist in rebooking a future Crystal cruise.

While this unfortunate but necessary decision inhibits our journeys together for now, we are looking ahead with great optimism to the day your Crystal crew can welcome you aboard Crystal Endeavor on a future voyage.

Sincerely,

Crystal
Guest Services

*Future Cruise Credit may be used with Crystal’s 2-for-1 Fares and Book Now Savings and will be provided as follows: Guests who choose a full refund will receive a future cruise credit coupon in the amount of $500. Guests who chose the future cruise payment credit option will be provided a future cruise payment credit coupon equal to deposit monies paid and an additional $1,500 future cruise credit coupon will be provided. Coupons can be used on non-fully paid future bookings. The Future Cruise Credit is not available to incentive groups or guests under charter contracts, it is non-transferable, non-refundable once applied. The Future Cruise Payment Credit may be used towards deposit. The additional Future Cruise Credit will be applied as a discount/savings and cannot be used in lieu of the deposit requirement on your new booking. Third party air & hotel reimbursements will be based on their individual policies.

Just now, Stickman1990 said:

You’re going to be a “millionaire” with so many Future Cruise Credits or Refunds (we’ll eventually after 90 days 😉

Might even be able to get Crystal to "pay" for the 2022 World Cruise at this rate!!😁

When the virus came to our forefront in February I wondered whether or not it would impact the first set of sailings.  We were booked on the second sailing.  Selected the second for a couple of different reasons including having a planned sailing on Symphony which we wanted to take in July because it included Liverpool.

By the time we left Serenity no March 3 in Sydney I was thinking we had a 50/50 chance of the August sailing happening.  By the time we arrived home on March 14 I thought the chance was maybe 25% and by the time social distancing began I thought no how/ no way.  

The good news is we planned to use all miles for our flights.  I'm not as lucky for our July cruise but am hopeful that the flight will be cancelled anyway.  Time will tell.

Let us hope that a remedy is found to deal with those who get the virus because if the actual vaccine does not come out for another 18 months this is going to continue to be a topsy turvy time.

Keith

Here’s the Crystal Press Release on it 

Photo Link: Crystal Endeavor

CRYSTAL UPDATES LAUNCH TIMELINE OF CRYSTAL ENDEAVOR

Shipyard closure prompts new schedule for introduction of luxury expedition ship

MIAMI, April 9, 2020 – Crystal Expedition Cruises has postponed the launch of its luxury expedition ship, Crystal Endeavor. The news comes following the temporary closure of the MV WERFTEN shipyards, which halted operations in ship production to protect its employees during the COVID-19 global pandemic like most European manufacturing companies. Due to uncertainty regarding when production will resume, Crystal has been compelled to delay the introduction of the ship – previously planned for this coming August – and cancel all scheduled itineraries through October 31, 2020. The ship’s maiden voyage will now be the Tasmania & Fjords of New Zealand 14-night cruise embarking on November 14, 2020.

“We know that, like us, our guests have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to explore anew with Crystal aboard this groundbreaking ship, and we deeply regret that this change has become necessary and has disrupted our guests’ travel plans,” said Crystal’s president and CEO, Tom Wolber. “While this unprecedented global health crisis inhibits our journeys for now, we are looking ahead with great optimism to introducing Crystal Endeavor to the world on November 14 and welcoming travelers to their next great adventure.”

The company is reaching out to guests and their travel advisors directly with rebooking options.

16 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Here’s the Crystal Press Release on it 

Photo Link: Crystal Endeavor

CRYSTAL UPDATES LAUNCH TIMELINE OF CRYSTAL ENDEAVOR

Shipyard closure prompts new schedule for introduction of luxury expedition ship

MIAMI, April 9, 2020 – Crystal Expedition Cruises has postponed the launch of its luxury expedition ship, Crystal Endeavor. The news comes following the temporary closure of the MV WERFTEN shipyards, which halted operations in ship production to protect its employees during the COVID-19 global pandemic like most European manufacturing companies. Due to uncertainty regarding when production will resume, Crystal has been compelled to delay the introduction of the ship – previously planned for this coming August – and cancel all scheduled itineraries through October 31, 2020. The ship’s maiden voyage will now be the Tasmania & Fjords of New Zealand 14-night cruise embarking on November 14, 2020.

“We know that, like us, our guests have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to explore anew with Crystal aboard this groundbreaking ship, and we deeply regret that this change has become necessary and has disrupted our guests’ travel plans,” said Crystal’s president and CEO, Tom Wolber. “While this unprecedented global health crisis inhibits our journeys for now, we are looking ahead with great optimism to introducing Crystal Endeavor to the world on November 14 and welcoming travelers to their next great adventure.”

The company is reaching out to guests and their travel advisors directly with rebooking options.

I hope they are right, but I think this may be just a bit optimistic!

1 hour ago, johanc said:

Yesterday the German radio NDR reported that MV Werften is in trouble te pay their bills.

They hope to take more money from the German state 🤕

And MV Werften is owned by Genting.  Would the German government give money to a company which is owned by a foreign company?  Is Genting responsible to pay MV Werften bills?

57 minutes ago, cruisr said:

And MV Werften is owned by Genting.  Would the German government give money to a company which is owned by a foreign company?  Is Genting responsible to pay MV Werften bills?

No cash flow = no money.  Most of their cash comes from Genting business. (new builds and refurbishments). One of the facilities also specializes in oil platform equipment and servicing ships (not a good business now).

Likely yes.  I am sure it is a wholly owned German subsidiary company, whose shares are held by the Genting Group. 

The area is known for its high unemployment and the expansion of the facility was encouraged by the German government.

The German government is investing hundreds of million Euro in infrastructure to accommodate the float out of the new Global Class mega ships. The employment at the three sites is over 2,800 people.

Edited by PaulMCO

Latest reports is that the global class will be postponend to 2024. They will concentrate on the smaller vessels.

There are 3000 jobs to lose if the shipyard goes down so the government is taking this very serieus and they do everything to avoid this

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

To start construction or deliver a vessel? 😉

I read somewhere, and of course I can't find it now, that the first of the Global Class ships was more than 50% complete when Werften shut down. Are they going to "mothball" that one as is?? I can see where they might given that demand, whenever cruising resumes, probably won't support a ship with 6,000 passengers even in China!

As to the "2 smaller ships", might these be the first Universal Class ships? The first of which, we were assured onboard Serenity, will be coming to Crystal?

On 4/21/2020 at 11:14 AM, Roland4 said:

I read somewhere, and of course I can't find it now, that the first of the Global Class ships was more than 50% complete when Werften shut down. Are they going to "mothball" that one as is?? I can see where they might given that demand, whenever cruising resumes, probably won't support a ship with 6,000 passengers even in China!

As to the "2 smaller ships", might these be the first Universal Class ships? The first of which, we were assured onboard Serenity, will be coming to Crystal?

It'll be interesting to see them mothball the first Global Class ship.  I've seen construction stop on a lot of partially-built ships over the years for a variety of reasons, but I don't think I've ever seen one that huge (even in its early stages) mothballed.  These really are interesting times.

I'm wondering the same thing about the Universal Class ships.  At this stage, they likely could still switch the order of which Universal ship they built first though, they should share almost any/all the parts that would have gone through procurement or need to first.  Crystal may or may not still get the first ones, though I could make a case for Crystal's fleet renewal actually being accelerated by this crisis (against my personal preference/needs).

Vince

9 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

It'll be interesting to see them mothball the first Global Class ship.  I've seen construction stop on a lot of partially-built ships over the years for a variety of reasons, but I don't think I've ever seen one that huge (even in its early stages) mothballed.  These really are interesting times.

I'm wondering the same thing about the Universal Class ships.  At this stage, they likely could still switch the order of which Universal ship they built first though, they should share almost any/all the parts that would have gone through procurement or need to first.  Crystal may or may not still get the first ones, though I could make a case for Crystal's fleet renewal actually being accelerated by this crisis (against my personal preference/needs).

Vince

Hi Vince.

I don't want to "name names" as I don't want to put anyone on a spot, but the person we got the info from is in a head office management position, and someone we have known for many years. That doesn't make it infallible, but the person was pretty insistent that Crystal would get the first one. Of course, this WAS back in January before the cruise world went to hell in a handbasket!! 🤨 And I do agree that the current situation could give Crystal the "cover"they need to retire Symphony now, claiming a lack of demand, and use Endeavor to pick up the slack, especially as I think "expedition-type" cruises will be the last ones to come back in terms of demand. Think Endeavor in Alaska next summer in place of Serenity, and possibly in Canada/New England, even possibly including the Great Lakes, after the Alaska season. Heck we might even book one of those, especially if it started in Toronto and we could take a limo to the ship!!😁

48 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Hi Vince.

I don't want to "name names" as I don't want to put anyone on a spot, but the person we got the info from is in a head office management position, and someone we have known for many years. That doesn't make it infallible, but the person was pretty insistent that Crystal would get the first one. Of course, this WAS back in January before the cruise world went to hell in a handbasket!! 🤨 And I do agree that the current situation could give Crystal the "cover"they need to retire Symphony now, claiming a lack of demand, and use Endeavor to pick up the slack, especially as I think "expedition-type" cruises will be the last ones to come back in terms of demand. Think Endeavor in Alaska next summer in place of Serenity, and possibly in Canada/New England, even possibly including the Great Lakes, after the Alaska season. Heck we might even book one of those, especially if it started in Toronto and we could take a limo to the ship!!😁

+1 Larry!  I didn’t mean to sound like I was doubting that the plan WAS to deliver the first ship to Crystal — I’m positive that was the case, the same way you heard.  I just meant that it could be switched around at THIS point if needed  — which who knows, it might be needed at this point.  (Or it might not!). It’s definitely an option though.

I’d love to see a Great Lakes itinerary on Endeavor!  I think you’re in to something there.  (Even though I’m not within limo distance of a GL port.  😕)

Vince

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

Hi Vince.

+1 for Endeavor.  Where is she right now?

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

I’d love to see a Great Lakes itinerary on Endeavor!  I think you’re in to something there.  (Even though I’m not within limo distance of a GL port.  😕)

Vince

Vince.

Over the years we have had the Royal Yacht Britannia in Toronto, as well as a couple of Hapag-Lloyd ships. so I am pretty sure Endeavor would fit under the various low bridges and hydro lines that cross the St. Lawrence Seaway between Montreal and Toronto. We even have a terminal that was built back when we had ferry service between Toronto and Rochester, and that is about a 30 minute limo ride from our home!! It is likely wishful thinking, but we would book it in a New York (or Toronto) minute if they offered it!! 😁

• 1 month later...